Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Is anyone else finding the new iPlayer a bit of a pain? Can you actually still get 7 days of programming or is it down to 3/4 now? Also I don't like that you can't seem to view all the programmes on a particular channel/station in alphabetical order anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

He had one of the most close to the bone jokes I've ever heard on Buzzcocks.

can't find it online, but it was about Kylie, and it made Amstell stop what he was doing and just laugh

Is it this bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQGDHLDHwc#t=01m20s

I remember cracking up over it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Tried to watch that Him and Her thing but couldn't really do it. My friends are alot more entertaining than that when drunk. Is it meant to be a comedy or a drama or both? All the characters seemed really dull and self-absorbed.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You dudes re-appraising Nathan Barley as some modern comedy classic are way off the mark. Sorry if I bobbed in to say this a year ago, but it's true.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

It's a pretty acquired taste though, and not very accessible, though I hear that if you've ever been involved in the London media/poseur scene you'll see a lot of truth in it.

Not very accessible? I thought the humour was broad as hell (LOL HIPSTERS!), with only a few moments where it was more subtle (like I seem to remember Dan going for an interview, thinking it was nailed-on then failing miserably, which was fairly well done). I think I just expected better from Morris and Brooker than some obvious lampooning of idiots that only a tiny percentage of the population would deal with on a day-to-day basis. Obviously, that London media scene is Brooker and Morris's world, so to them it probably seemed like a great idea, and maybe it could have been, but I was just left thinking: "What point are you trying to make?" and "Couldn't it have been funnier?".

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Metrication posted:

Unrelated point, why is the Tramlink never featured in Peep Show? Pretty sure they only live a couple of minutes walk from West Croydon station.

I've got this theory (probably not my own theory, but one I nicked from somewhere else) that alot of TV shows/films/books are deliberately non-specific about location in order to be more universal. I'm fairly sure they never mention Croydon, or anywhere else specifically in London, and that has to be deliberate. It's less distracting, less insular and people can empathise easier if they just live in 'average non-specific area of London'.

Have a feeling I could have expressed that better. Sorry.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of radio, why not come and chill in this spectacularly unpopular thread and sperg about Radio 4 like the big ponces you are.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I thought Giles Coren and Sue Perkins were phoning it in a bit (a lot) on that last thing they did (the Good Life thing, maybe they have done things since idk.) They seemed to just make alot of poo poo jokes and think that everything they said was some pithy, hilarious masterwork. Quite liked their previous food-eating japes though; as a greedy fucker myself I love the way Coren eats like an animal.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Nigel Slater is such a massive ponce. Watched some of the Hairy Bikers today and I'd forgotten just how loving poo poo they are as well. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is the man but his assistants are all cocks. I just hate almost everyone.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

I've only seen one episode if Him and Her, and found it pretty underwhelming and didn't really like any of the characters in it. Just so I know, is the one where they argue while having friends round for a night one of the better or worse episodes of the series?

Think I saw the same episode as you and they were a right bunch of tedious cunts. I know people like that "irl" and don't hang out with them and won't watch them on TV either. No siree.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I watched another episode of Him & Her the other night and it was pretty good. I especially liked the upstairs neighbour and his corned beef eating GF. So yeah, consider me sorry for slagging it off in that self-righteous way like I did.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

It had voice over narration to explain the conclusions of every episode to the audience, so Black Mirror might actually be more subtle in comparison.

Yeah but reminder that the Twilight Zone is literally half a century old.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Cerv posted:

basically I agree with whoever said it was exactly like the Execution of Gary Glitter thing from last year, and I really hope the box where C4 keep the one line ideas for these dramas that they actually rejected is never opened.

Yeah this, basically. I really do think it's brave of Brooker to make TV shows after years of just criticising, but it was all a bit confused and unconvincing. Trying to fit that much plot and that big cast of characters into an hour was never gonna be great.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

TheJanitor posted:

Anyone else loving love Masterchef? I am addicted to this current series, it has to be my favorite one yet. Currently rooting for Claire, I don't get how she can be so young and yet good at cooking :3:.

I can't stand the dramatic music in Masterchef. It's so American Reality Show and totally unnecessary.

e: if Claire is that little platinum blonde cutie though, yeah she's fiiine.

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 9, 2011

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

The Angelos Epithemiou Show was patchy but Gupta's interview with a "Bollywood Star" was hilarious. "Yeah I'd much rather fight you than listen to you BANG ON about your BULLSHIT movies!"

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

OnlyConnectChat: Please stop flirting with the dorks, Victoria, you suck at it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Quanta posted:

Can't we just have Greg Dyke back? I get angry just looking at Mark Thompson's ugly mug. The BBC has certainly dumbed down and become more pro-government under this guy's reign.

I'd go for Option 3: someone new entirely. Greg Dyke was a pompous tart.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Quanta posted:

What makes him a "pompous tart"? Unless standing up to Blairites, modernising parts of the BBC, being immensely popular with BBC staff and succeeding in establishing the BBC as more ethnically diverse makes him a "pompous tart".

Alright that was unfair. He just seemed like a bit of a smug git whenever he was interviewed, and, if I'm not mistaken, that was when the beeb were constantly showing trails about how great and unique they were which sort of fitted with the man.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

2nd series of White Van Man is happening, saw the promo trailer on YouTube.

Saw this too, looked awful. Was the first series good?

I ain't seen much new Frank Skinner stuff but he's always seemed like a nice guy. This is great.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Giedroyc posted:

I can't believe Channel 4 haven't brought back Fifteen to One yet, it was the best quiz show they had for years.

For realsies. 15 to 1 was the true gem of the channel 4 afternoon schedule. Countdown is overrated.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Seriously. Stop being terrible during the daytime and we'll talk, 6music.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Hey now that's fightin' talk don't say bad things about Radcliffe & Maconie.

I quite like Radcliffe and Maconie (I interviewed Maconie once, since we're dropping names, and he was a lovely chap). I still think their show is a bit dull though. But it's more about the playlist, which just seems to be a combo of the less popular ends of the Radio 1&2 daytime playlists jammed together. Then there's Steve Lamacq with his loving britpop.

I swear I've heard Echobelly played a dozen times on 6music and never once heard the Velvet Underground.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I thought the Simon Amstell stand up was pretty good (I'm assuming we're all talking about the same one here, where he makes the joke about having two basins?) It's not a laugh riot but I loved how candid it was. To say that he's generally not funny is ridiculous - he was great on Popworld and NMTB. Grandma's House was pretty good too but a bit ruined by his lack of acting ability.

Anyone know if series 2 of Bob's Burgers is getting picked up over here (on a freeview channel)?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Akuma posted:

Which is a shame because it's hilarious.

Isn't it just? I was a latecomer and only caught about half of the first series unfortunately. Absolutely loved what I saw though: incredible writing, maybe the idea of another cartoon family made people reluctant to give it a try. Anyway *ahem* UK Programmes.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

In case anyone missed it, Gregory's Girl aka The Best Coming-of-Age Film Ever is on iPlayer for another couple of days.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Also we had this discussion on the last page. Grandma's house was pretty good I thought, that "I'm stilted in real life!" line was good (I wonder if he is that neurotic/detached in real life though.)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I suppose asking y'all to gently caress off to the sport subforum would be inappropriate?

(Answer: Yes, but only because it's not a proper sport :haw:)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

I have just struggled through 10 minutes of that Matt Lucas awards show thingy.

It's so middle of the road I fear that the guests are about to get hit by a twelve-wheeled articulated lorry at any moment, which considering they include Germaine Greer and Louis Walsh would be a great result for humanity (as long as Clive Anderson can pull himself free from the wreckage).

Yeah Clive Anderson, a mediocre talkshow host is clearly of greater value to society than Germaine Greer, someone with actual intelligence/expertise/character.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

reality_groove posted:

Clive Anderson is an ex-barrister and a legend of British TV comedy. I'd say he's of at least equal if not greater value than Germaine Greer.

I only remember him for his crass little Beegees incident, but if you can show me a clip of him being a legend of comedy fair enough. Probably still not as good as being a feminist icon and respected Shakespeare scholar though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah I don't get how Anderson basking in Cook's reflected glory proves anything. Greer is dodgy on transgender stuff and has a recent habit of courting controversy for controversy's sake BUT she's genuinely interesting as a writer, thinker and critic (seriously she was one of the best on Newsnight Review...oh for the days of the two Greers and Tom Paulin!)

You guys are literally comparing a smug talk show host with one of the most influential academics of the last century. Also I've never seen a TV appearance where she came across as "nasty" which is more than can be said for Clive.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm not really surprised seeing one teaches people and the other amuses them. Why are we even talking about this?

It's because someone called Germaine Greer's value to humanity into question and I had to "white knight" her because I'm sick of people implying that making a few poor decisions in one's twilight years retroactively destroys all the good work someone has done in the past. Also I've always found Greer quite charming and self-deprecating on TV but no-one else agrees.

But yeah it is tedious, sorry.

Also I thought I remembered Clive Anderson saying something about the dead Bee Gee but obviously confused that incident with something else so apologies for that too.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I don't get why they got so huffy, and why it's a 'crass little incident' (and my lord that is one pompous phrase), he just seems to needle them a bit, a few pops that are pretty much bait for making an interviewee seem self-deprecating and down to earth, and they throw a hissy. He didn't say anything all that bad.

Alriiight! I already apologised for that. In my mind I thought he said something actually offensive (I'm pretty sure an interviewer said something bad about the dead Bee Gee once, I conflated the two interviews) Anyway I'm really, really sorry for being pompous on the internet, and equally sorry that no-one shares my Greer Love.

Don't think I can handle that Theroux doc right now, good as I'm sure it is.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Berry and Fulcher are great and everything but maybe the BBC didn't want them taking the piss and literally repeating the same jokes, word for word, for another 6 episodes. Don't get me wrong I thought it was good, but that aspect in particular was lazy (ironic-taking-a-dig-at-sketch-shows laziness idk?)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Double Happiness posted:

I've recently gotten round to watching the first two series of "Auf Wiedersen Pet" online, and discovered what a great show it is. I remember watching the later episodes when I was young but the early seasons are really top class TV. I never see it mentioned on UK TV threads on here though, too working class for you Guardian reading lot? :colbert:

I just assume that all TV made before the turn of the millennium is poo poo, then I can be pleasantly surprised when a few things aren't. (but what I'm saying is, although there are numerous exceptions, TV has evolved alot in the past ~15 years and most stuff I remember being good as a kid has aged really badly.) Haven't watched Auf Wiedersehen Pet since I was 8 or something, will revisit at some point.

Watched The Singing Detective for the first time when they repeated it recently and that blew me away. Genius.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

Richard Herring's Objective was on the Comedy of the Week podcast this week and it's really cemented my dislike for him. I just find his material so weak, there's nothing really there other than applying basic extrapolations to get to a gag that doesn't do anything for me at all. I know it's a character, but his "petty and self-pitying" schtick just annoys me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQNVd3anis

I agree though, he has become a bit of a lazy slag on his radio/podcast appearances. I also agree with Junkenstein about the live thing, but also haven't seen him in a couple of years.

Also Red Dwarf, really? From the bits I've caught on Dave here and there I'd say it's aged horribly. In fact I'd go so far to say that my 13-year-old self may have had poo poo taste in TV comedy.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Black Mirror was admirable and entertaining most of the time but also flawed.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Just watched the latest Grandma's House, thought it was the best one yet. James Smith's character is such an arsehole, loved the scene where he wanted a hug from Simon.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Chumpion posted:

BBC4 is showing a Manilow concert at the moment. You are right though, I'm learning a lot.

Mainly involving my own sexuality mind..

BBC4's pop music output is a bit slapdash compared to their other stuff. It's like: and here's a load of random 70s clips from the archives that we forgot to record over. Have fun!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I love how basically everyone from Leeds has a story about Jimmy Savile loving dead people or 13 year old girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Just watched the last episode of Grandma's House, thought it was the best yet. Might have to assume all Amstell-hate in this thread is subconscious homophobia from now on.