Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Figaro posted:

Who would you say is more loathsome? Louis Walsh or Piers Morgan?

They both have intolerably smug expression whilst sitting to the left of Simon Cowell. I'm pretty sure that like a narcissistic thin girl wants to have a picture taken with her ugly fat friend, to make her look better. Cowell surrounds himself with preening cunts in order to vaguely resemble a human person.

Piers wins because as a newspaper editor he published false stories about prisoner abuse in Iraq, directly endangering lives for profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'd like to think that it's Sean Locke, just because he is always a tedious arse on QI.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

and they hired a former baddie who helped kill one of the original cast members. :sigh: She alo looks like Anneka Rice. :smith:

That woman has a face like a pickled bollock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Game On series one was really good at the time. Series two was just awful. All the charm and humour left with the original actor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

No-one, it needs to be killed off ASAP. It's tired and stale and you can tell that even Phil doesnt give a gently caress anymore. He's probably only still there for the regular paycheck.

Why do goons have this problem whereby as soon as a programme changes they have to harp on about how it was in the old days or how the show needs to be cancelled now because it is different.
Buzzcocks is still funnier than most things on telly, and is a prefectly good waste of half an hour.

Rose-tinted autists ITT.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

Because it's devolved into a show where they bring guests on simply to take the piss out of them. A good number of the guests don't know the answers to the questions or are there to blatantly plug their latest lovely album and barely contribute anything to an episode short of being the punching bag for whatever the regular guest/hosts throw at them.

It was like this even before the unfunny Irish one left.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know what ? Frankie Boyle is poo poo.
He has a narrow range of 'lolol edgy as gently caress' jokes which work on a shock basis the first time round, but beyond that he has nothing but a snide attitude. He probably left Mock The Week because he ran out of ideas.

Boyle is one of those comedians who use the same material every time they appear on something, and quickly get stale, but because he says "oval office" a lot and does rape jokes idiots like him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never knew Harry Hill was a Doctor.

Neither did I. I assumed he'd always just been the idiot's choice comedian.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It has a fair amount of cheese, and the ginger one is deformed, but other than that it is pretty good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Catherine Tate is the Skeletor of comedy and I wish ill upon her.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Perfect Element posted:

He did struggle at points, but I think in general he did a pretty good job. His banter with the others was consistently funny.

He's funny, but his voice is an atrocity.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aatrek posted:

Skins is entertaining and all, but it feels like there's a lot that I can't really relate to as a middle-of-the-road American, like hanging around and drinking at bars at age 16, or taking school trips to Russia for a history class.

As has been mentioned, Skins is a fantasy of being a British teenager, watch the simply amazing Inbetweeners for a much more realistic version which you will probably be able to relate to more easily. It really is an excellent and very well observed comedy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thehustler posted:

New Partridge is amazing!

Re Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live. If you saw his recent activism series about his youth on Channel 4 you'd understand why he's done that, but everyone is really laying into him on Twitter for it.

Robin Ince is another person who has pulled out of a show because he refuses to cross a picket.

A few other people have crossed pickets and have basically used the "I'm not a journalist" defence, but that's not really the point is it?

If you're not a part of the union involved then surely it is a matter of personal position on the matter at hand, rather than black and white scab or strike.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

There's no excuse for crossing a picket line

What, not even "I disagree with the position that these workers and /or their union are taking ?

It's almost as if taking an absolute position and then saying "end of" is silly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Izzard's last standup DVD was awful, so maybe he's just run out of ideas.

Blunt was very good on HIGNFY as well as Buzzcocks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thehustler posted:

James Blunt is more quick witted than Eddie Izzard.

Wogan was spot on with that "only popular with the public" line. Blunt really does come across as a genuinely decent, funny person, who gets poo poo on by TV personalities because he has a posh voice.* After his last two panel show performances I'd take him over most of the regular circuit guests.

*And his name rhymes with oval office.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DaWolfey posted:

The worst part is that it's Series 2

No, the worst part is when she runs around in her underwear.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

Comedy needs to be funny, ergo.

No you see, some people don't have a sense of humour, they need a comedy as well. We have to be inclusive and not judgemental...

of mishapen giants with lank hair lumbering around wearing saggy underwear in poo poo programmes.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 23, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Peter Kay is basically Seinfeld. People forget that he was one of the first people to do that kind of comedy and make it popular, so he gets resented for being boring and unoriginal years down the line because his style of comedy is copied so much.

While I will agree that Peter Kay is good at reminding you of things you thought you had forgotten but hadn't really, for money. I cannot agree that people resent him for being original, rather people think he's a oval office because his behaviour is that of a oval office and his routine(s ?) are not funny.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Who remembers posting ? Ee, but weren't posting grand ? Eh ? You don't see much now. Round my way we were always posting on t'Something Awful forums. Those were t'days. You remember ?

Down t' t' mine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Remember when northern people paid to be reminded of things they do every day ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seinfeld is poo poo with annoying music. And Curb Your Enthusiasm is the flagship of that agressively unfunny wave of super cheap looking US sitcoms that are objectively worse than the holocaust.

I am the strongman of taste and I have spoken.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

fuf posted:

Curb is like a whole new level of comedy and way better than almost all contemporary British comedies.

It's so funny you wont even laugh. It is the New Funny.

*Drinks frothachinomochalattelapsangcurry, wears new designer invisible clothes*

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

reflir posted:

:siren: BNP voting bloc spotted :siren:

I think you'll find I said that I don't like Peter Kay.

You remember Peter Kay ? Eh ? He were reet good weren't 'e ? Sliding 'round on his knees. Don't see t'Peter Kay nowadays.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Frasier always seemed good from the little I saw of it. For some reason I always assumed Niles was a serial killer.

Edit: Curb Your is the new Keeping Up. Seriously.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

fuf posted:

See, people can't get over the presentation.

Not every good comedy has to be gritty and English. Enjoying curb isn't succumbing to some American consumerist cultural hegemony or whatever.

You have fundamentally misunderstood my point. I assume you have never encoutered the parable of the Emperor's New Clothes ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Flatscan posted:

I can't speak for the others in this thread, but unlike most of the 'spergy fuckers in the US threads I actually stop watching poo poo programmes after a couple of episodes. (SGU is my one vice in this regard)

That is a bizarre behavioural quirk a lot of American posters do seem to have. That and calling for a programme they still enjoy and watch every week to be cancelled just in case it stops being enjoyable.

It is baffling.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Blackadder owes a lot to Seinfeld. Without Seinfeld we would have never had the glorious satire of the scene where Baldrick reveals his poetry based on the booming of the guns.

Then again we would have been spared Tony Robinson running around a stately garden during Time Team Live pointing at Mick the Dig and shouting "he's a friend of the family !"

Shame about that really, who'd have thought he had it in him. He hasn't worked since. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 24, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
ITV: Twentytwo times shitter than the average channel.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

feedmyleg posted:

Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

Have I got News For You, it is nominally a topical news quiz but don't let a lack of familiarity with our news put you off. It's good.

Never Mind The Buzzcocks is a music flavoured panel show, and is often sublime. The first few seasons are pretty ropey though.

Many, many episodes from both can be found on youtube.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the Irish team captain (middle of the right team) was just poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My favourite thing about Harry Hill is that he is on ITV, with all the other poo poo that makes it a channel I may as well have detuned fifteen years ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

John Charity Spring posted:

I don't know if 'literally his stand up with sketches in' is really grounds for complaint. It's a pretty common format for comedians, even Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was the same.

I'm sure the actual show was poo poo, though.

It is if he releases the standup DVD at the same time and plugs it during the show. I used to like Boyle, but everything he's said in the papers, and his first stand up DVD have really put me off him. He just comes across as having an ego that massively outweighs his ability.

He likes to act like the old man on the mountain dispensing wisdom about when other comedians aren't funny, turns out he's a poo poo one trick pony who gave up his golden ticket.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

keveh posted:

It is if half of his stand up was poor.
Also, he's being paid to make his own TV programme featuring stand up and is using stuff that he's selling to punters at the same time.

He's like a Scottish Peter Kay.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hey, who remembers muslims eh ? Ach they were funny weren't they ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jimmy Carr is funny though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Leyburn posted:

I don't know, I've only seen one of Carr's DVDs. They're just similar in that they both do short, punchy gags in a deadpan style and have stupid laughs.

Boyle is terrible for reusing the same material all the time, I doubt Jimmy Carr is as bad in that respect.

While he does reuse the same one-liners in interviews, as far as I know each of Carr's DVDs has been a new act.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Your mum ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pablo Bluth posted:

HIGNFY S23E06 Angus Scandal Episode Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDYlOEVSaI

To see if you will like this programme watch this episode and then find the episodes guest hosted by Boris (now the Mayor of London, mostly because of his appearances on this) Johnson. If you don't like it after that then it is not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Roidweiser posted:

If I remember rightly didn't Merton leave for a series or 2? Mind this was probably 15ish years ago. Was he focusing on stand up, then decided HIGNFY was easier?

He left for one series (replaced by Eddie Izzard long before he turned poo poo) because he was getting bored. He was a successful comedian before doing TV work, so I don't know what you mean by deciding HIGNFY was easier. It's not like it was a fallback after failing as a standup.