Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ratjaculation posted:

Someone told me today that Top Gear is being canceled because they can't go on without the Stig. I don't think he understood Top Gear one bit.
The original black Stig 'died' when he crashed off an aircraft carrier. This is clearly ripe for a homage to Harold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

"Heres hoping that Jordan remembers to put her underwear on before the cameras roll, or the programme is going to consist of two over exposed twats gawping listlessly at each other." Brooker on Piers interviewing Jordan.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you want to see the future, they've published the first draft of the Project Canvas technical specs. I'm not sure what exactly it means other, other than the word Encryption appears a lot.
http://www.projectcanvas.info/index.cfm/technology/technical-documents/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

In case nobody noticed, The Empire have pinched Mad Men from Auntie. Season 5 on DVD then.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Brooker on Kyle.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BBC3 is to broadcast a six part drama series about Lesbians. With lots of sex.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/09/lip-service-bbc3-lesbian-drama

I think we can be confident that no heterosexual males will be watching...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've just watched the first few minutes of Lip Service. The acting is so wooden, it makes the Hollyoaks dialogue look Shakespearian.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jawidar posted:

They only won £1,250 - I know the BBC is tightening its belt, but that's ridiculous.
There was for a long time no cash prizes on BBC shows. It was deemed inappropriate to go giving away licence fee payers money. But totally appropriate to spend the exact same amount of a dishwasher, and to give that away.

I think weakest link was the time they changed the rule, but even now, you'll notice any cash prize tends to be modest.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It looks like Iannucci might get a political drama picked up by HBO. (still won't get a rip-off Sky sub)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Does anyone else watch Merlin?

When it first started, it suffered a bit from predictable plots and klunky dialogue, but as it nears the end of it's third season it's improved immensely. It's still no Deadwood, but it livens up Saturday evening when ITV are busy spewing out x-factor dross.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Doctor Who is Doctor Who. A fairer comparison is the Robin Hood series that was in many ways a sibling to Merlin.

That stank. It started with predictable plots and klunky dialogue, and three years later finished with predictable plots and klunky dialogue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Did no-one watch the Psychoville Halloween special last night? I thought they did an excellent job of having a perfect balance between horror and comedy.
I didn't know it was on. You're supposed to use this thread to give an advance heads-up...

But we now have iplayer, so I'll let you off.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

The best american sitcom of all time is The Larry Sanders Show.

Second place is one that only lasted one series called Action which is such a shame because it was loving hilarious, if you've never heard of it I strongly suggest you give it a watch.
I would point out that Arrested Development is both the funniest and cleverest US sitcom, but it's clearly not the thread to be having this argument.

Instead: The Trip. I finally watched it, and it's brilliant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

When is the next episode of Peepshow online anyways?
The first episode isn't on TV until tonight. Assuming that the early online showing of ep1 was a gimmick, I'm not expecting ep2 to be available anywhere until next Friday.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

chazzared posted:

Have I missed everyone talking about The Trip?
No you haven't. Everyone was too busy mass debating the merits of certain US sitcoms.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Brokyn posted:

I've noticed it's bounced between all the BBC stations, so I don't know what that means. But dang I want this show to go through every letter of the alphabet.
It's not been bounced so much as upgraded. It started out with new episodes being shown on BBC Four, with the episode then being repeated on BBC Two a week later. Due to it's success, it was eventually moved to the main channel, BBC One. It's often repeated on the channel Dave (a commercial venture, in which the BBC own half)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

One thing is that it can change a lot depending on the guest host. They got rid of their permanent host years ago after a cocaine and prostitute scandal which was a bit sad but kinda had to be done because it's hard to take the piss out of MP's doing skeezy things if prostitutes are selling stories about you.
HIGNFY S23E06 Angus Scandal Episode Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDYlOEVSaI

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There's always a few bits of dialogue or plotting in every episode that make me go "really? you couldn't have had the writers do one more rewrite?" but overall I quite enjoy Merlin. It's undoubtedly superior to the similar Robin Hood that the Beeb attempted.

It's picked up a lot this season, with the solid Morgause & Morgana arc in addition to the Monster Of The Week stories. As for cheap; S4 won't be around until 2012, the BBC needed to save money and they didn't want to cut the budget for the show.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

We might all be waiting for Uther to die, Arthur to take the throne and for Merlin to come out the magic closest, but you can't get there too quickly at risk out running out of plot / Arthurian legends.

It's possible that once Arthur rules Camelot, with Merlin by his side, and with the round-table installed, the writers might find a new direction to take the show. However, it's just as likely, if not more so, that it represents the point at which it jumps the shark, and it loses what made it what it was.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If I appear to go insane over the next few days. it's because I'm starting an Apprentice Binge. Despite avidly watching all the previous seasons, I've not found time this year, something I'm about to rectify.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I got half way through the first episode of the apprentice, but I've now been sucked in by Popatron.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I finally managed to make it all the way through something Brooker while visiting my family; normally my dad wanders in to the room half-way through a clip of some ITV poo poo and asks "what's this rubbish, isn't there something better on?".

My mum sat through all of it, but I don't think she really appreciated it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Finally something worth watching, Whistle and I'll Come to You is just about to start in case anyone both forgot and is reading this.
I watched that, and sadly found it all rather forgettable. It all felt a bit by-the-numbers, a greatest hits of scary story plot points.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

In case anyone missed it, here's a summary of tonight's new Primeval episode: stand around gorping at that dinosaur waiting to get eaten by it.

To save me typing, just assume that'll be the plot next week too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There's a new BBC2 sitcom starting a week tomorrow. It's called Episodes (thus making it impossible to google). It's a BBC-Showtime co-production, set on the set of a fictional British Sitcom disastrously being remade in the US. It's written by one of the Friends creators (David Crane) and somebody who has a string of short-lived sitcoms (Jeffrey Klarik) and stars Matt LeBlanc. I can't help feel it might be a humongous train-wreck.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I just found a trailer over at Showtime.
http://www.sho.com/site/episodes/home.do

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Tried to watch Zen. Got bored and watched Bruce Parry instead.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Flayer posted:

Zen was amazing, really good! Very stylishly shot, coolly paced and with an interesting and morally ambiguous hero who fit the theme well and didn't leave it feeling cheesy. Looking forward to next week.
I wanted to like it, and I left it on for the first hour, but I found it all a bit boring.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Good episode of Buzzcocks tonight.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Royality posted:

I did enjoy Brian and Dara cracking up though as they went through the hubble-quality pictures of galaxies captured by 'John from Surrey' and other surely-famous astronomers.
You only have to look at the winners of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year award to realise there is some seriously good work taken by amateur from their back-gardens.

It was also entirely predictable that the quality of photos by this existing band of elite amateurs would swamp anything taken by more casual astronomers. I was surprised they didn't include a few more token beginner photos by the less experienced.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think Prof Cox might have enjoyed his talk with the ISS crew.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Russell Brand, Frankie Boyle, and James Corden (three loud-mouths all desperate to be the alpha male) vs Andy Parsons, Jonathon Ross and Alan Davies (three people incapable of staying on topic and not introducing unfunny 'comedic' diversions)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

midge posted:

I left the UK a year ago. Does it have any decent comedy from the last year I should download?
The Trip.
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margret (but amazing but had it's moments)
The new on-line Alan Partridge shorts.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 8, 2011

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Every single time I see Sandi Toksvig I think "Didn't she die?", then remember I'm thinking of Linda Smith. Every time.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2011

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Band of Brothers was a BBC co-production, so they can go tell Murdock to swivel. In theory, Sky's exclusive HBO licence doesn't stop future collaborations between the two either.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

pisshead posted:

I'll keep you all informed as to when the jokes/minute ratio in Episodes rises above zero.
It's not unrelentingly funny, but I'm finding myself enjoying it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

'Who is Sarah Palin?' Nice and topical ;)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Lets not repeat WNN!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Listen to Mitchell, that's what I was wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Too many. segments which. mean they. don't have. time to. be anything. but superficial.