Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

LE0N posted:

buh buh Alan Partridge and the guy from Gavin and stacey!!!!
Correction: Alan Partridge and Keith Barret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Trip was great, but it was more of a drama that happened to include humourous bits, rather than a sitcom.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BlackBoxxxBabes

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

"10 O'Clock Live has been far superior this week. It's had actual satire." - Keeley, 18, from Croydon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Doakes posted:

Saw an advert for the new channel Sky Atlantic that's replacing sky three, there showing Six Feet Under, Big Love, Sopranos, Battlestar and Curb all from the first episode. Pretty awesome, I've wanted to watch nearly all of them.
Officially Sky3 is moving slot and being renamed 'Pick TV'. I think they've dropped all pretence of it being anything other than a 'bed blocker' to stop two precious Freeview spaces being used for something that might tempt people away from bending over for Murdoch. Ditto Channel One, which is being closed down and replaced with Challenge TV, the home of gameshow repeats.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kin posted:

That's cool, i'll just be watching Dave, C4 and more 4 anyway.
Dave might not be around for much longer. They lost a trademark battle, and if they can't win on appeal, they'll have to rename

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

On the Radio front:

Radcliffe and Maconie are moving from their R2 evening to 6Music afternoons. Wiley takes their spot.

* points and laughs at Radio 2 *

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

LeBlanc is playing a parody of himself; 50% Joey typecast and 50% 'if Heat magazine reflected reality'.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

the kind of teenage girl who posts on somethingawful.com is hardly a typical one though
They're all over at Digitalspy. By Jove, that place is a bastion of undiscerning taste.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The US Sweet 16 was a genuinely horrifying display of wealthy brats. The UK version was a hilarious embarrassingly display of anti-glamour.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 8, 2011

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So the BBC 6Music Mismanagement have decided that having acquired the highly regarded Radcliffe and Marconie, it'd be a good idea to restrict them to one freeplay per hour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/radio/network/docs/6music_radcliffe2011.pdf

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

quote:

What is the Independent Production quota?

A: We have the statutory quota commitment to ensure that 25% of our qualifying transmission hours are independently produced and that the profile of the 25% reflects the wide range and diversity of our programming. The 25% quota is applied across all of the television channels and services combined. From 2005 there are also separate 25% quotas for BBC ONE and BBC TWO.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/questions/quotas.shtml

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Fishbus posted:

Unfortunate that you mention Brian Cox, because it reminds me that watching any BBC science program consists of 10 seconds of original CGI footage used continuously, using 3 seconds from different points for the whole program. Arrgghhhhh!!!
My estimate is that for every hour long popular factual programme, there's only actually 20 minutes of content; the rest is lost to repetition and recaps. Which is why I'm so grateful for BBC Four, which is far less plagued by that disease.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Some Strange Flea posted:

Oh christ I completely forgot about that. That was loving awful.

It was a god drat PowerPoint presentation.
Nowt wrong with that segment apart from her dress.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Has anyone else been watching Royal Navy Caribbean Patrol?

I have three observations:
1. How are you meant to instil fear and dread in the enemy when your uniform makes it look like you've fallen through a worm-hole from Wimbledon in the 70s?
2. Employing a slightly giggly 20-something women as an Able Seamen doesn't instil fear and dread.
3. If I ever have the US Coast Guard boarding my ship and pointing guns at me, can I have her do it?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 2, 2011

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist the editorial independence of Sky News was the only issue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Triple Ebay.

The joys of a good pun.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Its no different than when any party gets in to power; spend as long as you can blaming issues on the previous bunch. Labour did it. The current lot do it. Labour will do it when they get back in.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Preview from next week's How TV Ruined Your Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNKuIdAPvuQ

They're obviously bestest mates now, so I'm calling it: a Brooker cameo on the next series of Peep Show.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Well I have to say I'm enjoying it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

eating only apples posted:

The Sky at Night is great tonight :) 700th episode!
I wanted to watch it via iPlayer, but because of the 7 day limit, they're holding it back until tomorrows repeat on BBC4. :shakefist:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

The new series "Twenty Twelve" started last night (iPlayer). It's not too bad though it wants to be The Thick Of It or People Like Us, but it isn't.
The real-life countdown clock that they unveiled today broke down...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Metrication posted:

They didn't get planning permission for a whole house? How could you be that stupid?
Because people know they won't get it, so they try to sneak it up and hope it goes unnoticed for long enough that they'll be allowed to keep it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-510161/Hay-presto-Farmer-unveils-illegal-mock-Tudor-castle-tried-hide-40ft-hay-bales.html

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Sion posted:

Ditch BBC Parliament,
That'd save you £10m a year, but quite frankly, it's value in a democratic society is beyond a simple financial figure. It's the last thing that should be cut.

By the way, they spent £20m per year on EastEnders, Casualty, Holby City, Doctors, River City and Pobol y Cwm.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I was listening to the latest episode of Brooker's So Wrong It's Right.

How did I not know about this sooner?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

You will never <trim> find Britain's best young butcher on ITV2 :colbert:
What's wrong with the Beeb celebrating genuine talent in an important but unglamorous field? joking aside, you wouldn't find it on ITV2. Not unless it became 'Britain Best Celeb Butcher', in which bit-part soap actor takes on singer from failed girl group.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Not quite sure what satirical purpose showing a Youtube fight clip serves. In fact, it's the sort of thing I'd expect Brooker to rant against...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Dear Channel 4.

If Brooker just did a funny segment on the Grand National, there's no point Jimmy doing another one five minutes later. It's flogging a dead horse.

Yours faithfully,
Pablo Bluth.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Wafflecop posted:

That guy with the gray hair on the panel (on 10 o clock) was he an Apprentice candidate or am I mad? If not I really need to know where I recognise him from.
Yarp. James Max from the original series. He's found a career as a business commentator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Max

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Game shows are far too incestuous when it comes to guests, and they all seem to focus on a relatively small band of comedians.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 15, 2011

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

How many episodes are left of Ten O'clock live? By now they really should have brought it to an end and be discussing how to make the next season less of a train wreck.
Yesterday was the 14th of the 15 week run. And I disagree it's been a train wreck that should have been ended early; it's been highly flawed, but the Brooker and Mitchell rants have been worth it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Balloons with Bill Bailey.
Baboons. I was most disappointed when I tuned in

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

pisshead posted:

Why do the BBC even bother getting the snooker rights? Half a dozen channels and they can't spare one to show Murphy/O'Sullivan, it's not even on the red button, just an Internet feed with tinny sound.
You're a Freeview Bitch that why. It's on one of the seven BBCi satellite feeds.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Metrication posted:

Dunno about anyone else but I've noticed 4oD have really started laying on the ads lately.
They disappear if you install AdBlock Plus; it took me years to realise it even had adverts! Once I did, I care enough about C4* that it's one of the sites that I exempt from ad blocking.

(* it's basically the Beeb and C4 in the war with BSkyB over the soul of British telly.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

On Freeview, at this time of day they have the choice of BBC1, BBC2, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament and one BBCi/Red Button. I think we can agree that the childrens channels, news and parliament are all non-sta.. Wait a minute. Turn on BBC1 right now; what's that they're showing? That looks like a Mr O'Sullivan with a cue in his hands.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Didn't Strongest Man used to be a Christmas/New Year thing, until Five poached it, before losing interest?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Yes. In a pre-emptive move against claims from BSkyB that the BBC are being unfair by actually producing stuff, they've cramming everything in to the months when people are outdoors.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BBC Four have just spent an hour on an ode to the A303. A road best known for traffic jams and ruining Stonehenge.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

We must start keepinga proper list of recommended programmes, rather than trying to remember everything each time it gets asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Talking of sitoms, Lead Balloon finally returns for a 4th series on the 30th. The last new episode was Dec '08.