Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
apparently the most recent Creek episodes weren't especially good (according to reviews and people) but I still really liked them, easy to please maybe but I think the formula is just so good that it's difficult for me not to enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zorba the Greek posted:

I have never, ever seen an episode of Johnaton Creek. I have heard that it's pretty crap though...
you been talking to the wrong people son, Jonathan Creek owns

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HoldYourFire posted:

Holy poo poo Pat Sharp was the presenter of Fun House?! I altered my memory to make it Noel Edmonds :psyboom:
i literally did the exact same thing and was surprised to find out recently Noel Edmonds never presented Funhouse

:wtc:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
has the new peep show been broadcast yet or is it just online?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

le chat posted:

Family guy will forever loving suck mind
one of my housemates was gobsmacked when I said old Simpsons was way better than Family Guy. He said Simpsons was poo poo and for kids and then went around asking everyone which they preferred

they all prefer Family Guy :negative:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well poo poo, Gene Kelly just passed away out of nowhere :(.
that's not Gene Kelly :colbert:

man I love Gene Kelly, he was my childhood hero for some reason

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Idioteque Dance posted:

Good thing the topic is about standup at the moment because that's what I came here to ask. Stewart Lee is my favourite standup artist going and I love his brand of alternative comedy. In that regard I love Richard Herring's shows too due to it being a different kind of humour, aside from the usual observational standup.

What I want to ask is which alterative standup artists I look into next, with Stewart Lee being a favourite? I know he's getting quite popular again but his style is still really something else (and I absolutely loving love it).
His style is not really similar to Stewart Lee's at all but Hans Teeuwen has a really good "alternative" standup show, it's often really weird and I've not seen anything like it but it's very funny. One of the few standup acts I really like, check out his Live in London dvd I think some of it is on youtube for a start

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 1, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

I don't watch Hollyoaks, but sometimes it gets left on while I'm doing stuff, and the episode that's just finishing now is actually not completely poo poo. Except for the cheesy, unnecessary flashback-voiceover just now.
I actually watched a bit of it for the first time in ages yesterday and it seemed worse than ever. Lots of new characters who really can't act have come in and the storylines are still mental. Something about a 12 year old girl who is pregnant and someone is annoyed about it because she can't have a baby and tried to steal one once. This was all just mentioned in casual conversation as well. Also somebody appears to have come back from the dead.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
lmao

is Dom really a paedo or was he set up? always thought he was written as one of the best people in there. Pretty much everyone in Hollyoaks has done at least a few things that make them loving terrible people though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah I love how every so often Hollyoaks introduces a character that is just completely mental and ends up killing a few people, usually in a fire.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Flatscan posted:

I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.
I think you're probably right, every time I've watched that Drew Carey says many times throughout the show "and remember folks, the points don't matter". I can't remember that ever being said in any panel shows here, they just get on with it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

lionlegs posted:

One of my favourite films, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, is on iPlayer currently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3v0w/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly/

Very affecting film, I remember coming out of the cinema in a daze. Highly highly recommend it.
I've been meaning to watch this for a long time

<3 iplayer

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

goatface posted:

Watching last nights Buzzcocks. Tim Westwood is a parody of himself.
yeah he's ridiculous

still high fived him in a club he was DJing at though, if only to say I had

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

meme posted:

I'm not a big fan of Merton or Hislop, but they do provide a base level of comedy and they're basically just secondary/tertiary hosts. No belly laughs, but, you know, it'd be worse without them.
thing is though, Merton did used to be a lot better than he is on it now and possibly the same could be said for Hislop. They still do alright but have been better

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Fatkraken posted:

That's the one with pear cider (made with 100% real pear(s)) right? Saw that one live, it was loving stunning.
yep, I also saw it live and it was indeed stunning

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ibroxmassive posted:

Is that what I was getting the piss taken out of me for?
I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about sorry

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

I enjoy Top Gear, but to me it really just boils down to slightly amusing middle aged blokes driving all sorts of cars.

I guess this series of Peepshow isn't that enjoyable for some at all?
If you mean because nobody is talking about it in here, that's because it has its own thread. And for what it's worth I thought the most recent episode was excellent

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah I'm actually looking forward to seeing Richard Ayoade in it, I've no idea what he'll be like but he's been excellent in everything I've seen him do and I imagine he's a naturally funny guy. Alan Carr and Michael McIntyre can gently caress off though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've not really heard anything bad about Emma Watson either, she seems alright to me.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Trickjaw posted:

Dear me. Always wanted to do rude things to Sohie Ellis-Bextor, now her mum hoves into view and reignights Blue Peter fuelled mumsy fancies. Not my mum. Brr
that come dine with me just made me fancy Susie Amy a lot

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

LE0N posted:

Rubber dingy rapids is kayvan novak? really?
are you doing your confused face?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

worked for dawn porter

with her shows though there was always the idea that she might get her tits out

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I really hope in the new series of Skins they just make it fun, in the last two series everyone was basically just intensely moody and depressed the entire time and I'd rather see them take a much more lighthearted approach.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brown Moses posted:

Is it a new Jonathan Creek tonight?

it's a repeat of "The Judas Tree" which is one of the more recent specials, possibly the most recent

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think that looks interesting actually, it's apparently only going for seven episodes at first and is only written by a couple of people so already the signs are that it's not going to be some typical American style sitcom

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
we've had hollyoaks and eastenders chat a number of times, the archers is no worse

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Friends is being axed from C4 and E4 sometime this year, not sure exactly when though. It will probably just be replaced with something comparable like How I Met Your Mother

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
everyone has watched Friends though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I really hated what I saw of HIMYM before deciding to watch the first episode just out of boredom and I grew to quite like it. It's not especially good but it does have its moments and it's light and easy

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NaDy posted:

All his other live shows are on 4OD, If you haven't already, I suggest you watch them, they are all amazing.

The best thing about that show I thought was when he takes the loving engraved coin out and it's that womans grandmother's name. I can see how he did most other things through the power of suggestion but that was insane.

I think the weirdest poo poo is what he does in one of his other live shows, where he just gets someone at random from the audience and says something very, very specific about them. Like for one person it was that he had a pot of surfboard wax called SEX in his pocket, and with another he gets the persons name (a very uncommon ethnic name) and can tell he's nervous about going abroad for the first time :psyduck: only things I can think it would be is mics everywhere or stooges but I think he picks these people out with a frisbee

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Mark Watson's blog post is from April last year, bit slow on the uptake isn't he. Anyway, he's made himself look like a complete bellend there

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

nationalista posted:

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I caught this on the BBC News Channel last night and it made me far angrier than it reasonably should have:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x79g5/HARDtalk_Robin_Gibb/

Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees proclaiming that 'music today is terrible, not like in my day :argh: :smug: " and demonstrating just how far someone can disappear up their own arse.

The BBC's flimsy grasp on popular culture is getting worse. I thought this programme was supposed to be some kind of hard-hitting discussion, or a grilling of the guest, not a rambling ego massage.
yeah I'm inclined to agree with you after watching for about 10 minutes, he's really pretty smug about how good he is/was

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Graviton v2 posted:

Im no real fan of theirs or anything but they can actually sing and play which cant be said of the majority of the cack in the top 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlehycyTGT8

I know, they're good musicians who know how to write great pop songs but he didn't half keep going on about how many records they'd sold and how many pop stars they've written songs for and how not many people can do natural harmonies but I can etc

and yeah, like thehustler said there is loving tons of great music coming out all the time, always has been, and it's annoying when people make generalisations about music based solely upon the very very mainstream

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because Stayin' Alive was the pinnacle of humanities musical culture.

tbf i love the bass in that song, it owns

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

I don't really get the "selling cider to teenagers" thing... Is it selling to teenagers just by virtue of being cider? It's hardly youth-centred, is it?

I think it's playing up that stereotype of teens buying a cheap bottle of cider and getting drunk in parks and bus stops and shite

and yeah, I don't see a problem with Mark Watson doing an ad for it. Frankie Boyle calls him a sellout but he's hardly compromising his principles is he? He just got offered an easy and presumably well paid job and took it, I'm not sure what the issue is

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ezzie posted:

I don't watch any soaps, but these Hollyoaks/Eastender's plot lines make me think you guys are making poo poo up.

Hugging a scare crow whilst mourning the loss of your cot-death child. Really?!?

in the last episode of Hollyoaks I watched, a girl who wants to be a boy jumped in front of a car that her ex boyfriend was joy riding. Hollyoaks owns

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pablo Bluth posted:

Every single time I see Sandi Toksvig I think "Didn't she die?", then remember I'm thinking of Linda Smith. Every time.

I wish she had died instead of Linda Smith, she's crap

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Forty Two posted:

How have I never heard of Dead Set before?! Just started watching it and it's really drat good. I can't believe I didn't know that Brooker had written his own TV series.

E: Davina McCall just got eaten by a zombie. This is brill
Charlie Brooker also co-wrote Nathan Barley with Chris Morris, which was brilliant too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah I don't really care for Boosh very much but I do quite like Noel Fielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I actually kind of like Episodes. It's not especially funny but it's not unfunny either and it's quite watchable. I think someone else in here said it's kind of more like a light drama, idk if that's what they were going for but I can certainly see it that way.