Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Irisi posted:

Watching Merlin with my tiny nephew just now, Arthur has just found a Round Table and knighted some prettyboys called Lancelot, Percival and Gawain. :3:

It might be a silly, cheap-ish BBC childrens' drama, and the plots, acting & dialogue might be incredibly daft sometimes, but the story itself is still incredibly strong. The tiny nephew is enthralled.
Still utterly pissed Uthor hasn't bit the godamned bullet yet, that gun's been loaded for at least two seasons now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's always a few bits of dialogue or plotting in every episode that make me go "really? you couldn't have had the writers do one more rewrite?" but overall I quite enjoy Merlin. It's undoubtedly superior to the similar Robin Hood that the Beeb attempted.

It's picked up a lot this season, with the solid Morgause & Morgana arc in addition to the Monster Of The Week stories. As for cheap; S4 won't be around until 2012, the BBC needed to save money and they didn't want to cut the budget for the show.
Hum, maybe if they had killed off someone who had been begging for it since about, oh, half way since season 2, this wouldn't have been an issue.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

We might all be waiting for Uther to die, Arthur to take the throne and for Merlin to come out the magic closest, but you can't get there too quickly at risk out running out of plot / Arthurian legends.

It's possible that once Arthur rules Camelot, with Merlin by his side, and with the round-table installed, the writers might find a new direction to take the show. However, it's just as likely, if not more so, that it represents the point at which it jumps the shark, and it loses what made it what it was.

Yeah, keep in mind they're Arthurian Legends though so having Uther sitting there like a moldy sock is not making for fun television.

Installing the round table would make a whole bunch of characters to explore and to have adventures with. If that requires the magic closet to be opened, so be it. It's pretty drat open with the the whole Coup that happened with Magicians and everything. Hell, the only person who doesn't know poo poo at this rate is Arthur and it's making for frustrating television.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

The Wetherfield AM-Dram league are LIVE now. Will Emily flubb her lines and say " loving Rat's Cocks!"?

That godamned :buddy: on her face at the end.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sure I'm going to get set upon by the women of this forum, but was she over acting?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From Dragon Quest to Big Brother, so much for Jedward...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Black Mirror starts with a rather interesting Ident of Idents. OK, C4 you have my attention.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

and Ben too!

Really enjoying this so far.

edit: if its Tor then this method of discovering the location isn't going to work

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the joke on that one rather than remote upload.

Edit: "loving Hell!" indeed, the first loving hell, not the one where he's kicking the oval office.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

This reporter is going to get shot isnt she

Right in the Knee and the Phone

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Dutchess is dead. There was nothing about "a tone" nor blocking the recording.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Am I alone in thinking that Revealing who did it sort of dulled the sharpness of it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Irisi posted:

I think we all know what we'd do if we were the PM and found ourselves in that position. We'd immediately promote Nick Clegg.

Yeah, like the kidnapper would take that poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

madey posted:

I thought it was a bit hamfisted to be honest.
Please tell me that wasn't a pun...

Withers posted:

It did say that it was done to be art, ie not someone getting off to it or as a power trip, so making it just about the statement as an act.
Maybe, but Unmasking the power behind it sort of killed the monster, the concept that the person who would do such a thing and demand such an obscene request had an identity and thus he could be easily removed from everyone's thoughts of "that could have been me who did that and told the PM to do that" sort of eliminates the eldrich horror that an anonymous force have over us.

It's the difference between "It turns out it's man" and "It turns out it's a man".

Anyway here's the synopsis for the next episode straight from the horse's mouth:

quote:

2. Fifteen Million Merits

In 1984, Apple ran a famous advert that implied the Mac might save mankind from a nightmarish Orwellian future. But what would a nightmarish Orwellian future that ran on Apple software actually look like? Probably a bit like this.

Fifteen Million Merits, co-written with my wife Konnie Huq and starring Daniel Kaluuya (The Fades) and Jessica Brown-Findlay (Downton Abbey), takes place in a world in which the population is apparently doomed to a life of meaningless toil enlivened only by continual entertainment and distraction courtesy of ominipresent gizmos and screens. So not really sci-fi at all, then. Your sole chance of escape or salvation from this world appears to be a talent contest called Hot Shot, where the judges are played by Julia Davis, the grime MC Bashy, and Rupert Everett.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sion posted:

No, he means ever since Family Fortunes got cancled.
Is this before or after the apparent ban on the public participating in gameshows?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Has Huq done any work in writing drama before?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They cherry picked those adverts. That Ikea one shot through my godamned heart.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that'll keep me up for a long time to come...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a more amusing clip so you know all his work isn't horribly depressing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHxPl5ZJpg

And before you ask, yes it was taken out of context and put onto youtube almost as soon as he made the comment.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

There is a certain "just world"ness to Eastenders, at least some of the time.

Is this the same "There is no way this place wasn't built on top of an Ancient Indian Burial ground" Albert Square we're talking about?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

A5H posted:

"Futuristic" taxi on a £10 budget. Hahaha.

Those Adobe After Effects licences don't pay for themselves...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a different beast from the previous two which were more about the (I'm so going to hell for saying this) the human condition.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's it? No denouement?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

I think you guys are being a bit harsh. It's nice to see a solid literary-type SF premise explored on the small screen, there's precious little in any filmed medium. It's interesting to make connections to other stuff, written or filmed; I got a big dollop of Eternal Sunshine, a bit of Light of Other Days, some Suicide Coast, notes of half a dozen sort stories from the last few years. OK they could have done something a bit more interesting, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Yeah, but just because you stopped before you made your point doesn't make you The Sopranos.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hell, if even what happpened is he passed out dead from slicing his neck open (Which, ironically is what we wanted the protagonist of Million Merits to do so he could escape and thus we could have been all "gently caress you, dood, you didn't deserve escape!") that would have been fine.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think on the whole, the Black Mirror strand was a success and I hope it comes back for me.

Yeah, I'm happy if Brooker gets to do a few more of these. Two out of three is still perfectly good innings.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cerv posted:

I wish I could have been at the meeting at Channel 5 when they decided "yes, our defence to Ofcom will be that 21:00:11 is not immediately after 9pm".

That sort of brazen cheek is impressive in a way.

Channel 5 is and probably always have been run by a bunch of yahoos. They just get progressively less intelligent over the years.

Nothing says "We are teh smart" like getting Thundercats when you don't have a strand to put it in.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

I'm sure the insurance will pay out, after all having a giant collection of fireworks and vodka blocking your main fire exit is well within regulations. There was a lack of colourful explosions/Catherine wheels though.

I'm pretty sure living in Albert Square renders you permanently disqualified from any and all forms of insurance.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 27, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Have I failed at Charlie Brooker by wanting to punch Doug Standhope in the face?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You think they laid on the Melodrama thick enough with Eastenders?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

So netflix was released in the UK today. It looks..... pretty poo poo at the moment.

It does seem rather non-existent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Sad day for British TV, tonight begins the last series of TV Burp, and only 8 episodes.

Like CN UK won't run that poo poo into the ground instead of airing cartoons.

Also confirming those instructions work perfectly well for Wii too. I understand why region locking exists, but it doesn't mean I have to like it none.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Any dudes having problems using a Visa debit on Netflix? I know I have money on this thing but it's not accepting it despite the fact it had no problems letting me sign up with it.

Confirming that this happened to me as well.

I have been using the US DNS though, I wonder if that's a contributing factor?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 14, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

I find it more disturbing that wonga with their 4214% apr(!!!!) are allowed to advertise on television.
I get those are supposed to be short (Extremely short, even, like you're supposed to pay it off in a matter of weeks or something) but still, that's 81% weeklypr. Sounds like a bit of a mug's game, really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jonnty posted:

That's not how interest works - it's more like 7% a week.

4214% APR / 52 Weeks in a year = 81%

Unless I'm missing something.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know what? I'd be convinced reading the Guardian was a good idea from that advert.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

Oh what? I haven't watched Eastenders for ages, but I had soft spot for Heather. Didn't even know she was leaving. What happened?
She made the mistake of living in Albert Square?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Irisi posted:

Look at the wee squishy blob! It's adorable! Appears to be a modified Keepon toy, which are also very adorable.

Still don't like or trust EDF energy, but that is a cute little mascot. Plus, all it does is bounce and squeak cheerfully, so it'll never become as murderously irritating as the Go Compare opera singer, or those flipping meercats.

It was made by the Keepon doods so in a way it is a modified Keepon toy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hey, Baccano is not crappy anime.

Nether is Gurren Lagann for that matter.

I'll concede the Iron Man point though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, uh, no one told me Aliens vs Wizards is basicly the Steel Ball Run of the Doctor Who universe...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's still a great advert. Hell most of Irn Bru's ads are great and people who get upset at them have no sense of humour.

That ad with the gran on the mobility scooter, man, indicative of better, more hopeful times :allears:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

ITV are rebranding in January. It's going to be "dynamic, shifting tone along with the content, reflecting and blending with the mood of different shows."

I think it looks a bit poo poo static but when all the colours are swooshing around or whatever it'll be great. Also bafflingly they've only just finished getting rid of all the LWT signs at Southbank and putting in current-branded ones (not to mention the luminous office monstrosity at MegaCity in Salford).

ITV: wasting money on signs since 1955

Oh, good, I thought we had all progressed as a nation from the notion of Sky Onc

This will not be a concern for me for STV knows better.