Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The Danny Dyer thing wasn't real then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This Is England '86. The piano music has started, something bad is going to happen.

Brilliant bit of telly tonight, devastatingly harrowing, but brilliant.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

eating only apples posted:

On the topic of Peep Show, Matt King (Superhans) tweeted recently that series 7 starts November 26th. :)

I wonder if that means that the series will end with a lonely and depressing christmas special. Maybe with a hint of happiness at Mark and Jeremy inevitably spending their depressing lonely time together as always.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

MMAAAAASSSSSSSSSTTEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

CCCCHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFF

It makes me hungry. They may be professionals, but some of them aren't half poo poo.

I really like the various editions of Masterchef, and I think that the pro one might be my favourite. The standards are a bit higher so you get less people going through because they "tried hard" or are "more interesting". It helps that I can cope with Greg Wallace but the other normal bloke does my loving head in.

It keeps up the fun pace with some fairly meaningful challenges, well apart from the generally pointless work experience bit. Last year's professional version was good because they were really flexible on how many people went through each round, I hope they keep that up this year.

Not that I'd ever bother iplaying an episode I'd missed or anything, it's just great when it's on, which is most nights.

All that said, as far as kitchen based shows go, I'd sacrifice all of them to dead deities if it meant we got some new UK Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. There's only so many times I can watch the old ones over and over again, and the American ones are poo poo.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've taken to playing along with The Million Pound Drop online.

I'm not sure why, but it's quite fun. I can never resist just plonking all my money on my best guess if I'm not sure though. I rarely split my imaginary money up. I suppose that makes the whole thing a bit pointless.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Barry and Paul have changed the comedy landscape, things have never been the same post-chuckle.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Someone about a page or two ago mentioned Danger Mouse. I couldn't be hosed to read the useless cuntery since then, so all I ask is: Did anyone bad-mouth Danger Mouse?

Danger mouse wouldn't exist if it wasn't for seinfeld.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've already turned it off.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Houdini posted:

A John Leslie rape joke in 2010.

Within the first 5 minutes he covered the comedic originality of the pope being a paedophile and something about susan boyle.

I decided that if he couldn't be hosed to make an effort on the first episode of his own new series, then I couldn't be hosed to watch it.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Unkempt posted:

loving SNOOKER

Snooker was brilliant. I'm not normally a fan of Mark Williams but gently caress Shaun Murphy.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Phil on crack was the soap performance of the decade.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Phil sleeping with his aunt (well his cousins mother) really highlights the rather small genetic pool that residents of Walford work within.

I'm fairly sure it would be possible to write up a fairly convincing "Baby Beale has Webbed Feet" theory, describing the majority of Eastenders newcomers over the last two decades purely in terms of the need for new breeding stock in Albert Square.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Baby Beale and whatever Stacy's baby is called having the "Walford Look" would be a nice slow burning storyline for the next couple years.

It must be a bit of a minefield writing for the younger characters as they become teenagers. I'm sure if you pick two at random then they'll be cousins in at least five different ways. Romantic interests have to be picked very carefully.

Is there a baby beale? I just picked a name out of my head with suitable alliteration. Actually, isn't that the one which got aborted? Probably for the best looking at it.

I'm now starting to think that maybe EastEnders has been harshly judged over the years, and the whole thing is actually a brilliant slow modern retelling of the rise and fall of Europe's pre first world war royal families.

Or possibly not, my knowledge on that era of history is shamefully slightly worse than that of my knowledge of EastEnders. A somewhat depressing thought.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Few know of Henry Tudors addiction to crack and burning down pubs.

Queen Vic represented the Monasteries.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've been scrolling down a bit because there seems to have been a bit of life on mars/ashes to ashes chat.

I'm up to the last episode of life on mars (which I haven't seen yet)

A few episodes ago with the kiddy program opening of Tyler being sad and confused and then a model Hunt kicking the crap out of a bin had me in tears of laughter.

Then it got even better, when he told Hunt that he could cope with his poo poo, but to stay out of Camberwick Green. That moved me beyond tears into hysterical fits of laughter.

I'm really late on Life on Mars, but anybody who hasn't seen it should get on it because it really is one of the best telly things ever.

I'm bracing myself for the first series of Ashes to Ashes because from what I've heard it's poo poo. I just hope my love of Gene Hunt can carry me through.

It's a weird one, because the modern copper back in time stuff is so well done that I'm almost not bothered about the sci-fi bit. Almost. And by almost I mean not at all.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Alan BStard posted:

I know it isn't TV but I can't be the only one disappointed in The Archers this evening. We were promised something that would "shake Ambridge to the core" and instead we got someone falling off a roof and a baby being born.

Why did it have to be Nigel? :(

Yep. Very disappointing.

Unless David falls off as well, I could live with that.

And Helen needs to have some serious complications. Otherwise she'll probably eat the baby.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Alan BStard posted:

I mean if this had been a regular death it wouldn't have been so bad. But they had been ramping it up PR-wise as such a huge deal.

They made the episode twice as long but totally blew it. Helen's baby scare happened so early on you never really expected anything to happen. They had any other potential trouble, such as Harry and Jazzer get written out with a throwaway line, and spent the entire time foreshadowing very heavily them going up to the roof.

Wow, two people go up to the roof, one of them has been drinking, in the dark, with the wind blowing and one of them falls off, wow what a loving turn of events I never saw it coming.

Plus gently caress them Nigel was my favourite character and Helen survives to be a terrible human being another day. Boo-urns.

It's not as if the roof thing was only bought up today, they bought it up a few days ago. At the start I thought it was the writers having fun, throwing in some red herrings.

For a while it looked like that's what they were going for with Tony's erratic driving to the hospital. But then that was all forgotten, and it actually just turned out to be the roof thing after all. Big disappointment.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Bit of a random time to bring it up, as I'm not sure it's been on over Christmas.

But is anybody else a fan of Pointless? Such a fun idea for a gameshow, and the cheapness of it really adds to the charm. It's like a thinking man's Family Fortunes.

It's a bit unfortunate that it overlaps with Come Dine With me, so I often miss the final round. to be fair it's the weakest of the show.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I just listened to the Archers on iplayer.

Dissapointed that Nigel didn't wake up in 1963. Is he in a coma, mad, dead or back in time?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think that one of the most charming things is Armstrong struggling not to give away that it's obviously a correct answer before the countdown bar thing starts going down.

That and if you don't make the final you get a second chance just makes the whole thing sort of nice.

Add in that playing along is really fun and you've got a great little show. Much better than putting up with the horrible CJ on eggheads.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
What was that slightly dark and depressing, yet weirdly endearing and jolly thing with Dawn French getting back from work?

I saw a couple and thought it looked worth giving a proper run through but then promptly forgot about it. Until now. Worth tracking down?

e: Roger & Val Have Just Got In, that's what it was called.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 8, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Friday night dinner, aka "The bit's in the trailer were the funniest but not really that funny"

I've gone to watch some paint dry instead.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

:siren:
ADAM AND JOE
are back at 6 Music

From April

For realsies this time

:siren:

YAY! This is the best news.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I didn't like last weeks Friday night dinner, but quite enjoyed this week's. I might stick with it.

e

It seemed like there was more time for funny bits this week. The duck radio, The Bee sting, and everything that Mark Heap did.

Wikipedia seems to indicate that there's only three episodes. Is that all they've made so far? scrap that, I can't read.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 4, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
My mate wanted us to watch his old tape of the 1966 final the other week, the colours were well sketchy and it wasn't even in HD! I beat him into turning it off and watching a downloaded HD copy of an Everton vs. Bolton 0-0 draw instead. Some people just don't know how to watch football.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Rastamouse is more amazing the more episodes I watch.

Those people who said it's racist need to be deported.

I've got a three year old nephew and I've spent a fair bit of time trying to get him to like it, mainly so I've got an excuse to watch it myself. He doesn't really watch that much kids telly and doesn't really seem that interested. I've given up with the pretence and just watch it alone.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The best thing about Brian Cox, well to me anyway, is that despite his happy nature and almost child-like enthusiasm, he's never smug (well maybe a little bit sometimes) or patronising or condescending.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I generally hate Corden with the passion he deserves, but to be fair that amused me quite a lot.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I thought that George Michael song was some sort of pisstake but then it seemed to be serious? very confusing.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The problem with the sad Jack Dee bits is that he constantly has the same expression as the unhappy sick children.

e: and the child dies and I feel like a right oval office.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 19, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Mark Lawson's interview with David Mitchell on BBC Four has been a good watch. It's nearly finished now, but worth a trip to iplayer if you've got a spare hour.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I was talking to Charlie Brooker on twitter and he pointed me towards this page.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=adam%20curtis

All of Adam Curtis' docs.

Well that's my week sorted. I can't remember which ones I've seen and haven't. So I'll just watch everything again.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
BBC two still does a "pages from ceefax" broadcast, late at night. It's on now. for 40mins between 3.20am and 4.00am on a wednesday night / thursday morning.

This has made me happier than it should have done.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Psychoville II has been good so far. I think I need to rewatch the first series again though.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm actually thinking of making a thread for it, especially if they're doing all the ARG stuff again. Think there'll be enough people watching to make it worth it?

It might be worth it if the first series is readily available in America. I don't really know though, not sure I know how TVIV works.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

pnumoman posted:

So can I get some recommendations here?
I just recently stumbled upon The InBetweeners, and I really liked it. I figure there's got to be other great UK TV since the last great UK comedy I watched (Green Wing), so if you have any fairly recent comedy shows to recommend, I'd love to hear about them.

On a side note, does anyone know of any good UK-centric TV discussion sites? I find it hard to pop my 'Merica bubble.

Well if you liked The Inbetweeners then you should bloody love Peep Show.

Watch Peep Show.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Personally I think Red Dwarf is really, really bad. It occasionally had good moments and I liked it alot when I was younger for some reason, but I can't watch it now. It certainly didn't help when they tried to make it more serialized and have an overarching story, since that just underlined how flimsy the whole thing was.

Red Dwarf when it's Lister and Rimmer hating each other and coming to terms with their situation is wonderful.

When it turns to them going off on silly sci-fi spoof adventures it gradually gets less good. Although it does have it's moments, with gradually declining frequency.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Adam Curtis was awesome as usual, but he seemed to skip over why the sudden connection of computers should mean a new freedom of the individual, or why those people would have believed that. He covered the financial models, but the individual being connected just got mentioned and taken for granted as something that people believed, without much explanation.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I'm sure he'll cover that in the nex two episodes.

Yeah. I hope so. Just wondering if anybody else thought it seemed a bit lacking. He normally goes into more depth on the philosophical points of view. He certainly did with Ayn Rand, even if to only point out she was wrong.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Am I the only British person that doesn't like Only Fools and Horses, Father Ted, Black Books and Red Dwarf?

Dunno, I like some or all of them to different degrees, it seems a bit weird to list the ones that you don't like and ask if anybody else is exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
And their podcasts, which aren't particularly cutting or satirical, they are just fun