Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The BBC really nailed the pre-Apprentice combo tonight. Waterloo Road is a wonderful programme. People say that Britain can't produce big 20+ episode a year dramas with the same scope and quality as America, but Waterloo Road really proves them wrong. The quality of the acting, the writing and the general production are second to none, it's only a matter of time before Amanda Burton and Robson Green move on to bigger and better things - the latter is like an English Hugh Laurie.

Followed up by Life of Riley. Wow. Has there ever been a greater comedy? It's observations of everyday life are spot on as well as charming, the relationships between the characters tread that realism of funny and moving. The dysfunctional family dynamic perfectly reflects the oddities of the viewers own everyday life - we all have our little quirks. None of this gets in the way of the razor sharp wit on display from leading star Caroline Quentin.

Wonderful stuff BBC.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Sorry, I might have gone a little bit overboard with the sarcasm.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
To all those complaining about friends and loved ones liking Michael McIntyre. Sit them down and watch a section of McIntyre stand up and then compare it to an episode of ChuckleVision.

Barry and Paul have managed to keep up fresh episodes through 22 series over 24 years, they have the brotherly relationship and slapstick down perfectly, sometimes they even verge onto social commentary. Their entire show is of course a brilliant act, on the face of it they look like two chain smoking blokes you wouldn't want anywhere near your children, yet they've come up with one of the longest running kids tv shows of all time. The show being a show is a show, I'm sure that's post-modern or something.

Michael McIntyre makes observations that aren't really that observational, mostly they are nonsense, and he says them in a weird pretend posh-not-posh voice.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got a signed photo of the chuckle brothers somewhere. Just had a look but think it must be in a box somewhere. Also a copy of their album, To You to Me, which may also be signed. When one of them does die that poo poo is going to be priceless. I should make sure I can find it.

My sister was on the their To Me... To You... game show when she was a kid. She said that one of them chain smoked and the other was a bit creepy.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I love Adam Curtis' style. It's like a wonderfully beautiful visual essay with the references tidily added in with the interspersed interview parts.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not always particularly kind with my opinions on Waterloo Road, but fair play, it takes guts for the BBC to make the local conservative party the bad guys. Especially when in real life the evil fuckers are looking for any excuse to wreck devastating retribution on poor old auntie beeb.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Radio
Just a Minute
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
Would I Lie to You

loving loads to be honest. All in tidy 30mins audio bites. All those are pretty timeless despite their panel show format.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Kin posted:

I'll be buggered if i'm going to trawl through posts adding things to it (especially as I havent seen everything). If you really think it's a worthy comedy, just quote the list and jam your new entry in, then if someone else remembers another show they can quote your list and add that in too. In a page or two i bet we'll have listed pretty much all the decent british comedies there are and if there are any stinkers, they can be argued out of it.

But remove the quote tags when you do, because quoting only keeps one level of inline quotes, so you can't quote what someone else has quoted (I think that makes sense). Which means you have to manually add all the bbcode bold code when you copy and paste it.

So the next person who makes a list, and then the next person who quotes it having added their own. Take out the quote tags.

I think.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Kin posted:

Quoting kept all the BBcode for me. I just added my suggestions in italics.

But the person who quotes you loses all the stuff you've quoted. Possibly. Urgh this is hurting my brain.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

But the person who quotes you loses all the stuff you've quoted. Possibly. Urgh this is hurting my brain.

See, when I quote my own post here, it loses what I'd quoted you, so if you quote someone whose quoted the list, that means you lose the list.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Anybody remember that one with Jasper Carrot as a builder and Meera Syal as his Asian wife and their son with cerebral palsy. Brave, funny and touching... were the three boxes it completely failed to tick.

All About Me. That's what it was called.

Don't add that to the list.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Quanta posted:

I'm not going to lie, I love Outnumbered and can't wait for the fourth series. A repeat of an episode from the third series was on today and I laughed as much as I did when I first watched it last year.

I caught it too. I've half watched a few, but I really enjoyed it tonight.

I think I might have dismissed it, because it's very easy to dismiss the BBC's efforts at family sitcoms, also Hugh Dennis often just annoys me.

But gently caress that, it's great fun. It's like the anti-myfamily.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Crackerman posted:

The tide seems to have really turned on Frankie Boyle. I remember when everyone thought he was hot poo poo, now everyone rolls their eyes as soon as his name comes up. I always thought he was okay on panel shows, but his stand up has always been just awful, "LOOK HOW OFFENSIVE I AM!", poo poo.

His awful Channel 4 show did him no favours at all. Here's a fun game, let's compare Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights with Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Or not. I might be being harsh, I'm not sure I actually got through an entire episode of Tramdol Nights.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So we've replaced the heart-felt comedic antics of the Rileys in "Life of Riley" with the heart-felt comedic antics of the Flynns in "In with the Flynns".

I mean who hasn't thought "Hey! What that former Hollyoaks, Casualty, Two Pints and more recently White Van Man comedy actor Will Mellor really needs is a prime-time BBC one family situational comedy vehicle to show off his extreme range and ability"? Well somebody at the BBC obviously agrees.

I think I'm addicted to the bad telly on Wednesday nights. Although I might have to stop, I've found myself getting a bit involved with Waterloo Road.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Zorba the Greek posted:

Dunno if anyone still watches Waterloo Road but this episode is getting me all kindsa angry.

I watch it every week! Normally so I can take the piss after. Although I think I've found myself a bit sucked in.

Fair play to them for making the local Conservative party the series bad guys.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
And they still never bloody show what I wanted to see.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Magic Mango posted:

It's baffling how well Children of Earth turned out given the dross that preceded it and how poo poo this looks. Shame though, cos it's a decent premise.

Well it's not going to have Peter Capaldi to improve the whole thing with horrible, yet brilliant, harrowing scenes.

I'm not holding out much hope for the new one. As long as they cut out the weird "Carry On Sci-fi" with the innuendo replaced with gratuitous shite that the first two suffered from, then it might work out fun.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This Planet of the Apeman: Battle for Earth documentary thing on BBC One is hilarious.

It's like an old GCSE Geography program you'd watch whenever the teacher was hungover and could just about bring herself to roll in the telly and video player. I keep expecting to them to pop up with "write this down in your copy books" in a Look Around You pisstake sort of way whenever they flash up with the experts doing facts.

The recreation bits are well done enough, but they look more like they've just got carried away at the greenfields at Glastonbury than actual ancient people. The whole thing is just a hilarious mess. It's a shame it's only two parts because I've thoroughly enjoyed both - even if it's for the wrong reasons.

The BBC often does a great job at documentaries, but they've got this one just wrong enough that it's almost like piss take of the genre. The Neanderthals are basically terminators.

It's interesting that either they had advanced bra technology in 20,000BC or the it's less acceptable to show breasts at 8.30pm than it is people bludgeoning and stabbing each other to death.

Still, it's great fun.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So did anybody else watch Waterloo Road? I've gone from taking the piss to just enjoying it. Today there was unplanned industrial action against the horrible slimey Tory bloke from the LEA. Great stuff.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did anyone watch The Hour? oh look, it's turned in to yet another British crime drama.

I quite enjoyed it. Although I think I missed some key points because I kept having to go outside to give in to my nicotine cravings, I can't think think why.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Irisi posted:

Oooh, delicious, Sherlock is being repeated on the Beeb just now. For me it was the best programme of 2010 bar none.

Watching it too. It's just so much fun.

Although they do rinse out the do-do do-dododo-do do doooo theme tune every 15secs in the first episode. Nothing unforgivable.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
More Look and Read - Through the Dragon's Eye chat. Charn really was loving terrifying. I think the fact his costume looked so much better than the rubbish giant mouse and plasticy dragon helped make him feel like a real threat, well that and it's loving creepy even now.

(I'm sure I had a screen cap of the bit where he leans over and strokes the girl's face with his claw/nail things. loving horrific. Couldn't find it though, couldn't be bothered to take another one.)

I tried watching it with my three and a half year old nephew recently. I think I might have scarred him for life. Obviously too young for it really, but I thought it might be colourful enough to hold his attention.

I've got a feeling that Borris and his flying cricket bat was my absolute hero for 10 weeks when I was 7ish.

Some of the education word choices are a bit questionable though. Is "quagmire" really a common enough word to use as your main example of "qu-"?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Graviton v2 posted:

What the gently caress has happened to Mark anyway? Where is he? (and he was best on shooting stars)

Last I heard he was trying to make a living doing things like radio and television in public, whilst at the same time pretending that he wasn't. Apparently he's now burrowing himself under his lawn and shouting "do you know who I am" at the moles.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I haven't felt the need to watch this Lee Nelson chap, is he really as bad as the adverts make it look?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Jason, his brandy snaps were top notch as well. Yasmin should count herself lucky not to be knocked out this time as well.

Glad Ben has gone. He sometimes seemed like he might get a bit aggressive, which isn't appropriate for a televised baking competition.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

You could look for Mark Billingham's Thorne on Sky One starring David Morrissey.

And if you like that then you might want to watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men, not only because it's a bit of a weird start for a crime writer, but also because everybody should watch it anyway.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I knew there was a reason that I didn't want to stay out in the pub tonight, but it wasn't until I got home that I remembered about Bake Off.

Apparently it was pies tonight? ARGH! That's nearly as good as bread. :(

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Irisi posted:

Wanna stick my face in Janets' cheesecake. It looked like the sort of thing you get when you arrive at the pearly gates if you've been really good.

(How difficult is it to make posh chocolate Swiss roll? Apparently very difficult indeed...)

How can people trying to roll up baked chocolate things be so heart wrenching?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Why did she make a house and hide it underneath the tower? I don't understand.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Did Johnny Woss just say he has "Alan Partridge" Next week?

Is it too much to hope for an in character interview? His ITV show is a shadow of the BBC one anyway, a bit like knowing me, the whole thing is a bit full circle.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

His happiness is all well and good, but what about those of us who want to read a man write bad words about people on the TV? <:mad:>

Seriously though, I must admit that I haven't actually read his articles in ages since he changed his focus, in much the same way I didn't really watch Newswipe regularly compared to Screenwipe.

Agree with this. I don't really begrudge him happiness or success, but I fell in love with an angry sweary bitter almost-nobody.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
e: forgot to quote bake off book chat above.

I got the book they did after the first series for my birthday (from my mum, she likes to get presents that she wants :D), don't know if it's the same. It's got some pretty good recipes in it. Baking is fun and addictive. Especially if you can find appreciative people to eat your tasty treats. Baking for yourself is still fun but ultimately feels lonely. I am speaking from experience on both counts.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Daius posted:

Another radio suggestion is Just a Minute, but then again I may just like that because I have a mental age of about 65.

Just a Minute can be great depending on the panellists, but Parsons is a dick.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Akuma posted:

It's so flipping meta it makes my head hurt. So it's a mockumentary starring Warwick Davis playing a version of himself that played a version of himself in Extras.

I enjoyed it. Liam Neeson was incredible. Warwick is way too David Brent, though. The first bit with his wife was pretty much a David Brent impersonation.

My wife asked if the accountant was Noel Edmonds. Obviously it wasn't but I wish it had been.

It was more enjoyable than I was expecting.

One thing that I found strange was the way that Warwick Davis kept looking straight into the camera after saying stuff. I guess it was deliberate but it seemed odd. Might have just been me though.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got it on in the background, it's a poor year. Terry Wogan should be ashamed of himself.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
A day late on the Charlie Brooker chat, but I thought it was a great watch. It really made me think, not about all the superfluous media stuff, but about whether or not I'd gently caress a pig on live telly to save the life of somebody else. Which to be honest, I really feel the point of the show, the rest of it just felt like it was there as padding to give pretentious critic types something to argue about.

Lots of heated debate about the rights and wrongs of pig loving with the girlfriend afterwards, which is exactly what good telly should do.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I really hope he ends up set on fire himself, possibly with Amira.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtspNJIZUIs

Yusef roasting on an open fire. Happy Christmas from Albert Square.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I like that instead of working out what he was going to say when he got to the judges, he spent all his spare time practising his crazy dance moves.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Jawidar posted:

Anyone else been watching Masterchef? It's been pretty amazing this series. Ash is obviously going to win but I've got a soft spot for Daenerys Claire. Steve (or "Stevie" as Michel has taken to calling him) has this constant rabbit-in-headlights look on his face which is always pretty hilarious. Highlight of the series for me has been the baby squid served over a bowl of smoke at the Roca brothers' restaurant in Spain :aaaaa:.

I love it, and actually all three finalists are quite likeable this year. Or were until they just did a excruciating 20min X-Factor style intro about their lives. Awww... she used to cook for a brother SHUT UP DO SOME COOKING.

e: sorry, on reflection that was unnecessarily ragey.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Bad Wolf posted:

You beat little Mo, you deserve every goddamn thing you get.

If you haven't watched HIGNFY tonight, catch it on Iplayer, or better yet, wait for HIGABMNFY. Nick off The Apprentice was, is and always will be, awesome.

And I found out that he's taking over countdown. When was that announced?