Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The classic 1981 Day of the Triffids series is being shown on BBC Four and the first two episodes are on iplayer. If you've never watched it you should, because it's ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Quanta posted:

I despise catchphrase comedy, but the lack of "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango" in the new series is majorly putting me off. Also less time dedicated to the voice-over sessions is doing that too.

Not sure if it was ep 4 or 5, but the moose trap episode was fantastic. The opening clem fandango bit even got referenced in the plot!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Rapacity posted:

Day of the Triffids is about to expire on iplayer so watch it you want to know what your housing/cell block would look like if you were the only seeing man in your world. All the ups and a few downs and don't notice the shady effects because this is a psycho thriller and it's all about the people.

And when you inevitably come to the conclusion that "hey, they should remake this with better pacing and a more modern threat." Then you can rewatch 28 days later. And realise that it loses something of the charm.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This JK Rowling thing on BBC One just seems like a massively depressing reflection on society. Which might be worthwhile, but is horrible to watch. Half way through the second episode and I think out of the only two characters to come off ok: One is dead, One is wanking a posh guy off in a library to buy her little brother shoes. Depressing. But then so is life in modern Britain. So maybe it's good.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

House Louse posted:

A couple of weeks ago there was a Thalidomide-affected baby being left by a sink, and a lad gassing himself because he'd got his girlfriend pregnant, is it jumping the shark?

And don't forger the Rusty coat-hanger self-performed abortion earlier on in the series.

I actually have a genuine love for Call the Midwife. Great Sunday night telly.

Apart from the Doctor's son. That kid can gently caress off.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

goatface posted:

The Sky Atlantic figures. I think it was more of a dig at the channel than the programme.

The popbitch email article was a dig at Coogan for heading up the phone hacking legal action whilst signing up for Partridge to be on Sky, 38(ish)% owned my Murdoch. It started off as a Fosters sponsered online thing though, so who knows how the rights got dished out.

Same article points out that the whole channel is doing badly. Day to day watching is the afternoon repeats with Blue Blood coming out on top. I think to get Atlantic they you have to be on the package that does box sets, so it's probably not as bleak as it all looks.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So crown s4 is out. Wondering if this is there one where the queen meets the bfg?

Episode 1 there’s a phone number given out and it starts with an area code 017...something. Don’t think we put the 1’s in until the 90’s? Immersion ruined .

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

goatface posted:

When they added the extra 1 it ruined the flow of "081 811 81 81!"

That’s exactly what popped into my head!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
My partner got an online audience thing for the Gordon Ramsey quiz show thing on BBC1.

Done a few radio 4 ones which are live and have fun audience cheering and producer chat etc. But this was just a showing of a pre recorded show which I guess they might use the noise/ video from people’s cameras. Just a “please allow camera and microphone and wear headphones “ message and a pre recorded show.

Not actually watched a broadcast episode, it’s just a mad mess of backwards Jenga which makes very little sense.

Presume they were harvesting audience faces to edit in, but the show seemed completely shot. There weren’t any obvious edit points to put stuff in. Or any asking to re-record applause or anything .

Only indication it wasn’t an actual episode was”properly of Ramsey studios” written across the screen and a short intro producer video asking you to have fun and turn your web cam on.

Honestly just found the whole thing a bit pointless .

e: also it’s not a good show. The weird jenga rules could work, but Ramsey has no where near the charisma to carry off the “commenting on pointless game” which has been mastered by matey on tipping point.

He had some fun running thing slagging off the itv guy de campo or whatever he’s called, which was genuinely funny once but don’t think it worked as a running joke when you’re a celebrity chef hosting a game show.

Maybe get a cult following like golden balls, but not enough to it for prime time, not with Ramsay out of his depth

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 7, 2021

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Call the midwife has consistently been the best thing on television for 10 years . Quite impressive .

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
What happened with black mirror anyway? I think Charlie Brooker and the producer he always worked with left the production company they'd set up that was part of endemol.. or something.

Is it just dead now?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
6music this morning was still boringly solomn, but I swear in his boredom mark Radcliffe was playing songs to remind you of other more upbeat songs. Stevie Wonders -Pastime Paradise with a talk about how Coolios Gangsters Paradise being just as famous seemed weirdly deliberate.

Also think he played an elastica song which seemed less down best.

Does anyone know if we get no popmaster until the mourning period ends?

Sorry radio not Tv but all BBC.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The chuckle brothers should have been the goto choices as soon as it went to C4. Now that sadly isn't possible just have Fielding and the Living chuckle.

To me.... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

crispix posted:

Channel 4 is having one if its funny spells, seems. Scared of the Dark and Naked Education are admirably experimental but nonetheless terrible television

The publicy owned but funded by advertising dichotomy that c4 has is wonderful in the way you can sort of see a public interest.. and then its sort of twisted. It's amazing and I'm glad it exists.

Even if I don't ever get around to watching any of it anymore.