Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mickolution posted:

Charm Offensive is amazing. Really shows up poo poo like that 10 O'Clock rubbish.

As much as I love the stuff that Iannucci's done behind the camera, I miss the stuff which he fronted like Charm Offensive, the Armando Iannucci Show, and his newspaper columns. The Armando comic persona is great, and it's always masked when he's just working behind the scenes. This might not be a universal feeling though, I remember a Guardian interview with him when In the Loop was released, which described the Armando Iannucci shows as "obviously unfunny".
About Stewart Lee's show, does anyone find the non-Armando skits funny? I know that a stand up on telly incorporated a sketch or two since Dave Allen, but but they always feel like padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's a monstrous Cilla Black from Blind Date, misattributed to the Queen. Started 2 or so years ago, when they were feeling old and remembering the past, and that TV show hosted for so many years by the queen was it, yes the queen.
Joe also keeps on hinting that it's almost a racist chinaman-type accent.
Here's its origins.
e: and thanks thread for the heads up on Shadow Line. Getting sick of all the dementia on the BBC though; this, that John Simm thing, the first two episodes of Doctor Who... that's it.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

But which one is the best?
It's Joe.
I hope they downplay Made Up Jokes. Week after week, it's the same thing. They ran out of time for text the nation last week, but found time for 5 minutes of Joe being sniffy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They're Joe Cornish (whose first feature film, Attack the Block, is out this wednesday) and Adam Buxton (he was in the persuasionists, does music video commentary for the BFI) and they've been a duo ever since the birth of channel 4. Right now, there's a 3 hour 6 music radio show, which is edited into a hour-long podcast.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Huh, I was thinking of Channel 5, which they do a few bits about. I am not a clever man.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Shadow Line is beautifully shot and scored and so forth, but I wish it was consistently funny. The humour is what made the opening so strong, and there are little bits of it throughout, like the man in black this episode ("be careful, it's a bit oily"). I know it's not intending to be a comedy, but it feels like the half of each episode that's winding up to or down from an achingly tense moment (normally including Jay) are just po-faced.
e: argh goddamnit does every single loving piece of dialogue have to end with a question mark aaah.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 20, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Zorba the Greek posted:

What? Why don't people like Louis Theroux? His documentaries are amazing.

The best criticism I've ever heard of him is that he visits the strangest people in the world, and somehow manages to make it still about him. But I figure it all comes down to how annoying you find him personally.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Don't think we don't see you Final Fantasy av. Also, those two are in accord, how do you feel about black Fonzy?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Did that actually happen? God drat this forum's got a body count.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Sticking with the UK comedy recommendations, it's not exactly recent but Coupling is excellent. Especially the first three seasons.

If we're going retro, there's Spaced, Black Books, and The League of Gentlemen.
I... I think I just love sitcoms too much, I was about to recommend he tracks down Rising Damp.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

justcola posted:

Saying all that though my favourite thing would probably be Catterick

Seconding this one, Catterick really is something very special. Reece Shearsmith is so good at playing psychos. Also, it's the only (?) Vic and Bob things which doesn't use incredibly shoddy production as a joke, so looks nice for a change.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

I think we should just troll the gently caress out of the Americans and recommend nothing but Two Pints of Lager :colbert:

Let's all take a moment to think about Coming of Age, it's BBC3 stablemate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sometimes for fun I refer to them as the Brothers Chuckle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm not sure how it moved on in the later series, but I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 seasons. Vegas really gives a perfect performance, and the rest keep their end up, but my main observation was how the setting masked how silly most of the comedy was. There's all this depressing poo poo, and then mice gangsters. I only stopped watching it because I felt like a class-tourist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tomorrow belongs to TEA.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah; brilliantly performed and directed. Last episode in particular just had such great loving verve. Take a fairly cliche concept and just execute perfectly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

sex pervert posted:

I really had to love the little animated inserts of a baby in the womb puffing on a fag,

No loving way. No way is there a jaunty little animation of a smoking foetus.
With this and that dumb road documentary, BBCs 3 and 4 are impossible to satirize.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'd like to see Hugo Blick get more work off the back off it, but Shadow Line is shaping up to be a complete, contained work of art. Any continuation of it would mar it, no matter how fun watching Gatehouse settle a new upset each week would be.
Also, I feel dumb to ask this, but can somebody explain to me what the plan was in the final scene? I presume she meant to kill him ("all over in a heartbeat") with whatever was in the needle, and was connecting herself to the cardiogram so no alarms would go off when the poison went to work. If it had all gone to plan, how long did she plan to hang around providing a heartbeat for a dead man? Why was it that necessary at all, as nothing immediately happened when she got the shot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Vegas is an odd duck: at first blush he flaunts his alcoholism like it's a badge of pride, something so impressive, he can dispense with actually being funny. But he's moved into taking that image and using it as set dressing for a string of tragi-comic roles, which I find quite affecting. I swear, there have been like five Radio 4 programs in which he plays a drunken idiot who's trapped by his circumstances, and I can just lap that poo poo up. He's quite a bit smarter than he acts most of the time, but is also really unhappy.
As for his voice; his accent is Lancashire (up north, at war with Yorkshire), but the striking bit is a naturally squeaky tone that's been dragged through several years of booze and cigs.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

God drat this show is silly. Not ten minutes in, and we've got the hobgoblin.
But... Idris :allears:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I don't understand how they make any money, let alone why there are so bloody many of them. I've got really used to watching all my TV online and the other day when I actually sat down in front of a TV I found that almost every advert just annoyed the poo poo out of me

They take a bite out of the insurer's profits, which is why some ads for the bigger companies (directline for one) boast about not being on any comparison sites. As for why they advertise so aggressively, the only real difference between any of them is which one is most dominant in their market's mind, so they're really fighting hard to make you automatically associate shopping around with whatever.com.
Now Moonpig adverts, what the gently caress are they about. Who proposes with a greetings card, and who'd say yes. Immersion shattered.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

those really seriously dramatic Injury Laywers 4 You solicitors

Is that the guy who honestly seems like he's threatening you. I just don't like cockney men built like brick shithouses in tight suits saying "accident" so often or so angrily.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Metrication posted:

Did anyone watch the Kennedy's?

It's pretty cheesy but that seems to be in common with the Canadian dramas I've seen.

Did anybody manage to sit through the apologia that the BBC put with it to try and detoxify the show from all that mess with the history channel.
What does John Bird know about the Kennedys?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

This is why I refer to people only by their hairstyles.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

MURDER TWINS

God loving drat what a ludicrous show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

Apropos of nothing, has anyone seen The Victorian Farm? That ginger bint is like an archetype of :witch:

And doesn't he have a lovely green coat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

It is! Especially when the bees stung the chap on his knob.

Did this happen this week? Why the gently caress was I watching Question Time?
Oh, that's right, schadenfreude.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

The last Private Eye appeared on my doormat a day after this all broke and therefore had absolutely nothing about it.

I cannot wait for Wednesday.

Indeed, it remarked on the immutable law of the media "what Rupert wants, Rupert gets".
Next Eye will just be one giant Eye Told You So. It will be embarrassingly smug.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

About Lee/Herring, I just want more of this.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because standup is big money now and they all have agents.

Don't they all have the same representation? Avalon or Analon or something. Comedy monopoly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've not always found it hilarious but god drat that episode had me in stitches. Weirdly, only 2 of the 6 panelists ever said anything.
Back onto children's telly of yore: I went out and bought the DVD for the Box of Delights and was stunned that I had apparently made up a good portion of the plot/symbolism. I still prefer my version.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Kevino07 posted:

And will take part in the Ghost Rider sequel for god knows what reason.

In the what sequel? OR: In the Ghost Rider sequel??
But yeah, he's hot property right now and he's using that to line his pockets, as well he should. Maybe in time he'll actually do something genuinely good again. (Luthor is silly)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It instilled the feeling I'm more used to while on the internet: that is, the uncertainty of which would be weirder: this guy existing, or someone willing to spend so much time to create him. I mean, given that it's Banksy, I'm ready to believe it's the latter, but drat; that was an actual young Mr. Brainwash in some of the shots.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Watching University Challenge right now, and does Frazier from St. Andrews have a stammer? Because you'd really think he wouldn't have gotten this far if so.
e: and why the hell are Antiques Master and Only Connect on in the same time slot?
e2: Only Connect's questions are a steaming pile of bullshit sometimes.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Crackerman posted:

I couldn't work out if he was doing it on purpose or is just a bit of a prick.

Maybe he's gunning for Team A's captain next time there's an opening.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I tuned in at the mime (his performance was broadcast on the radio by the way). Then went to the "modern day Flanders and Swan" who were poo poo. 4 or 5 jokes spread among 2 songs followed by a embarrassingly mawkish lament to presumably show that they've got depths. Thankfully they hosed off, to be replaced by a one-knock performance about the pianist playing something different to the orchestra. Maybe that was funny to proper musicos, but to me it was just cacophany. I turned off then; did I somehow managed to miss all the good parts?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

For their 9/11 remembrance, Channel 4 will show Chris Morris' 4 Lions on the 4th of September, and everybody should watch it as it's really good and funny.
They'll also do a lot of other stuff probably but 4444444
e: and one of the thing's I am most enjoying about this season of Shooting Stars is how they make time for their hobbies: Reeves has been showing off his paintings for years, and I can only assume that Mortimer is really into puppets. Also, I'm surprised by how much stronger Bob comes over than Vic, given how he's normally described as a sidekick.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I still want Mark to come back. Also what is it going to take to shake Jupitus off that show?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He worked on Radio 2 for a while, most notably on God's Jukebox, 3 hours of whatever he wanted to play which ran every Saturday at midnight for years. He wrapped that up Christmas 2010, explaining his decision by citing Elton John's Piano sitting in the lobby of Radio 2. He occasionally writes for a blog dedicated to God's Jukebox, claiming to plug there if he ever gets a show again.
I am a massive sap for Lamarr, not only because I find him a fantastic presenter, but also because he's simply devoted to music.
e: this took a while to write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Leovinus posted:

Was quite surprised to see Zaphod Beeblebrox on University Challenge last night.

He was wearing a Naruto headband and a Marvel Tee-shirt and had also died his otherwise uncared for hair purple, but his team totally stomped so I guess I can't argue with the results?