Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Just to say that if (like me) you like old-school big-sweep history documentaries then you will LOVE Michael Wood's Story of England on BBC4. It's one of the best shows of its kind I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Rarity posted:

But does she have a sexy voice?

She sounds almost exactly the same as Mary Berry. It's really weird when you look away from the screen and suddenly realise it's Not Mary talking.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Anti Climax 12

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Have a soft spot for Derry Girls as it could be about my life back in the 90s.
Went to an all catholic boy grammar school in Omagh, 30 miles from Derry, and we had a protestant boy join us for the last two years.
He moved from England, had an identical twin, she went to the protestant academy, he didn't want to be in the same class as her so came to us.
No wacky hijinks though, just 90s poo poo and a bomb that killed 30.

I don't think she can have been that identical if she was a different gender.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Squibsy posted:

On the off chance you're not being deliberately obtuse, people's genders can change after they are born

Ah that is true. Though probably not that common among 90s Omagh schoolkids.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

:siren: the new host of Sewing Bee credited the Wayne Gretzky quotation "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" to the world of basketball :siren:

Surely even british sewing nerds have heard of the famous american baseball star.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I didn't realise frozen planet II has a part on how they film it. Watching these poor guys trek across frozen wastes on foot is pretty interesting

It's not interesting at all it's ten minutes of filler. As others have said it's so the US can continue to have their megs ad breaks for consumer goods that will continue to melt the ice sheets.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

reality_groove posted:

I watched the first ep of the Horne Section TV show, and it gave me a weird nostalgia hit for a generation of kids shows and weird Channel 4 comedy like Harry Hill and the short-lived Ant and Dec sketch show. Just something about filming it in a house, everyone being a bit crap and making the backstage stuff part of the narrative felt very comfortable and familiar.

I didn't make me laugh much besides the pea song but I'm inclined to keep watching.

Even the pea song outstayed its welcome. Tying it in to his Taskmaster 'character' made the show a bit weak from the start. Desiree Burch seems to be appearing as herself in the role of Alex's friend.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Taear posted:

Double posting here to say some more stuff about Narnia.

I've just rewatched the 1988-1990 BBC adaptations and man when you really think about it the narrative of the series is bizarre. The fact that he swaps out his main characters entirely by Silver Chair is so strange to me. And you kinda forget how much of a dick Jesus is to them, I guess CS Lewis liked the idea of Jesus being really authoritarian! He also talks really slowly which gets on my nerves after a while.
It's a long time since I read the books now (maybe 20 years) but I don't quite remember hating Aslan quite so much

The shows also feel like they ramp up how much money is available. LTWTW is much cheaper than Silver Chair for sure - fewer sets, fewer people, worse actors. And yet at the time I only really remember LTWTW being a massive thing, I barely remember Dawn Treader/Chair being on TV at all!

If only CS Lewis had written his books with more of an eye to the potential future low budget children's TV adaptation and the middle aged men who would be watching it twenty years later.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
More excitingly, there is a new series of Blue Lines. First series was outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

My in laws liked it which is usually a warning sign