Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Adrianics posted:

This Boulevard Of Barbed Wire is an absolute ruddy mess so far. Don't bother fannying around with character development - Just make the boyfriend act like an utter cock literally the first time we spend any significant time with him! And the first time he meets the parents!

You mean Boquet of Barbed Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Did anybody watch Winnebago Man on BBC 4? It's surpirisingly good for a documentary based on on a Youtube video.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

New series of Only Connect on BBC4. Apparently they got complaints that using Greek letters was pretensious and elitist, so they've replaced them with Egyptian heiroglyphs

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Awesome, Stephen Hawking's Universe is on Channel 4 on Saturday.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

So did anyone watch that 'Vatican: The Hidden World' thing that's on iPlayer? It was quite interesting seeing behind the scenes even if it couldn't quite bring itself to criticise anything the Church has done ever.

It's all just so bizarre. It's loving 2010 and there was only one woman in the whole programme. The Pope doesn't have a computer on his desk. The altar boys talk about serving priests. Most of the men wear dresses.

Recommended if you are at all interessted in the Vatican, or if you have someone who enjoys priest molestation humour to watch it with.

The slow motion shot of the Pope gurning was a bit unnecessary.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

What the gently caress, sky3 is nothing like Virgin1. Virgin1 had star trek and x files. Sky3 had... uh... Dog Borstal? Is that still running? I watched that once. And one part of the election debates.

loving Murdoch just stole all of freeview's sci-fi from me.

Sky 3 has this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkB0WGImaQw

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Competition posted:

We have a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345686

There's also debate as to whether it is set in the north or the midlands. Wiki mentions a northern town (though off the top of my head I can't recall if they ever mention the location in the film or series). It was filmed entirely in the midlands (Nottingham way) and is based on the childhood of Shane Meadows who lived in various midland towns, also the fact that everything he has ever made has been set in the midlands.

In the film they mention they're in Brighton.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 24, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Is there any vaguely legitimate way to get lasting copies of dramas and programs from BBC Radio. I missed the Feynman programs on Radio 4 last Saturday and I'm currently listening to and really enjoying Faust which was on Raido 3 last Sunday but runs out today.

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway. I haven't delved in Radio much before but I'm really enjoying it for the moment and don't just want to lose it all after 7 days.

iPlayer costs the BBC millions already. Having an archive service would drive them further in to the red.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Are the Times getting really desperate to peddle their stupid pay to use online poo poo. Iwas watching Kes on TCM yesterday and on every ad break the same trailer for it came on.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Kid Moe posted:

I had no idea a new louis theroux was coming on, whats it about?

guardian posted:

Theroux travels to Nigeria's largest city to spend time among the police and criminal gangs which rule the area. The crims have unionised to better appear legitimate, so cops spend their time chasing ordinary householders about cleaning their front steps while transport union operatives go about taking protection money and shooting each other, unhindered by the law. "There is no known corruption in Lagos," declares the local kingpin's spokesman confidently as everybody smiles and blood spatters the pavement. Compelling stuff.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure only Americans watch that show. It's weird that for a British programme, I only know of it from references to it in American shows and Americans talking about it on the internet. It's not been broadcast in the UK for like 30 years or something.

Dave shows it intermittently.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

He's been doing that poo poo every week for ten years, I'm not surprised he wants to stop.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

This looks familiar:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/21/ew-exclusive-skins-trailer/

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

ffff, what is the music playing on Masterchef right now? for iplayer folk, the last pro chef in tonights final, "the Dining Room", about 44-45 minutes in. Sounds like it might be Philip Glass? or maybe not? lots of arpeggios, repeated motifs, quite minimalist

I think it's The Grid, or possibly Pruit Igoe from the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

I had no idea Him off of This Life and Teachers was the main character in The Walking Dead.

When was that on?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

shabutie posted:

I love it :) The songs are really good, and it's fun looking out for all the actors in bit parts in 'adult' BBC comedy (the stupid deaths guy was in that terrible ad agency show)

Who is that guy? I love the way he enunciates his words.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Shanty posted:

I watched the incredibly silly "Secrets of the Universe" last night. Am I insane or was the thirteen chimes thing a plot point in an episode of Captain Scarlet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxU_sQT4z6U

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Buzzcocks was actually pretty funny this week.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Anybody seen the trailers for Miranda? It looks horrifyingly bad.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

has the new peep show been broadcast yet or is it just online?

It's up on 4oD a week early.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't it terribly misinformative to show a terrible JFK conspiracy movie immediately after a documentary about his presidency.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

There's new episodes of Infinite Monkey Cage up on iTunes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

reality_groove posted:

Dappy from N Dubz is doing the Alt. Xmas Speech this year.

What do Channel 4 have with that obnoxious twat.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

Search Youtube for a show called Space Cadets.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Roidweiser posted:

As in the Johnny Vaughn presented reality show which sent a the winning members of the public into space?

Nope. The Sci-Fi quiz show hosted by Greg Proops with Bill Bailey and Craig Charles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFNqN6Pjgk

Look out for the episode with Terr Pratchett.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Why does he keep hosting lovely clip shows?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Hoops posted:

I haven't heard anything about them even thinking about writing a new series. I assume Armando Ianucci helped write those Alan Partridge shorts, I'm not sure if he's doing anything else right now.

So probably not, no.

He's got several films in the pipeline.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Is Any Human Heart worth watching? The write up sounds pretty interesting.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

does the new bbc comedy ident with charlie brooker imply he's got a new show airing soon?

He's got a new show called How TV Ruined My Life coming out soon.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

David Mitchell, I think he has a history degree but I may have dreamed that.

I think he mentioned it on QI once.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

New Skins bunch actually looks worst than the last somehow.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Juliette Lewis, she was an actor and I think was in one of the better Woody Allen films but then gave it up to do music.

She does have a singing career, so she's a more suitable host than Catherine Tate.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 17, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

So what Christmas telly highlights have you all found? I've got the following:
Sunday 19th December
Misfits Christmas Special E4 10pm

Friday 24th December
Peep Show Evening Channel 4 9pm to 11:50pm. One documentry, a new episode, and two viewer favourite episodes.

Saturday 25th December
Doctor Who BBC1 6pm

Sunday 26th December
Top Gear Middle East Special 8pm. Southeast Turkey, Iraq and Syria.
100 Greatest Toys with Jonathan Ross 6.55pm to 10pm.

Also there's 6 days of Eastenders in a row over the Christmas weekend from Thursday to Tuesday.

The final of The Apprentice is also on on Sunday. Aren't there two Top Gear specials on this Christmas? There's the Middle East one and another in New York, when's that on?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The ending to tonight's Buzzcocks is incredible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Which is why I'm watching the greatest Christmas movie of all time on Film4.

Why are they showing the second one tomorrow and then jumping straight to the fourth on Monday?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Are the third and fourth ones even set at Christmas?

No, only the first two are connected by having a christmas setting. The last two are connected by the fact that they were thrown together from pre-existing scripts.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Kin posted:

I was sure i read that Die Hard 2 was on tonight. Anyone know what channel?

It's on Film4.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Muppetjedi posted:

She's pregnant.

Was pregnant. The baby was born last September.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Fatty posted:

Yeah, really good program.

One thing that seemed strange to me though, the entire program was about how this tribe had been massively altered by playing up to anthropologists in exchange for machetes and other western tools. But there was no acknowledgement that they might be playing up to this western film crew, its what they've learnt. Theres every chance a rumour spread that if you claim to have had anus sex with an anthropologist you'll get a free t shirt.

Shame in a program that seemed to present every side absolutely equally, but I guess its given its weight by the fact Lizot refused to give an interview.

Adam Curtis interviewed him for The Trap and he walked out of the interview after Curtis questioned the influence a camera crew had on the tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Akuma posted:

Do you really not find the the +1 channels useful? I think they're a godsend and wish every channel had one. If two shows you want to watch are in the same time slot you can just +1 it.

Yes, it's reassuring to know that if I miss the start of anything on ITV2 I can catch it all an hour later.