Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Are people confusing Adam Curtis with that bloke who wrote all those Hugh Grant movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The Big Taff Man posted:

I think its someone who sounds like him but not him

Also am I losing it or do they say the website wrong at the end?

They say .co twice to match the rhythm of the advert's music.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Ain't you just the wittiest.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Anybody watch that new quiz show Decimate? They had a guy on there today who guessed that Michael Gove earned the nickname Milk Snatcher for banning free school milk.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Last decent thing I remember seeing on the channel was that show where Paul Merton went to China.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

What makes the opening episode more boring than the others?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

What was the name of that TV show which opened with a guy walking up out of a tube station and yelling "up the revolution"?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

That's it, thanks.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

goatface posted:

My main memory of the episode I saw from the first season is that it was weirdly shot. It also felt a bit like they were expecting the tone to be there without actually finding it. Like they'd just written "insert relaxed banter" at various points in the script.

I just thought it was all quite boring. Nothing they said about the items went beyond what you could read about them on a little inscription in a museum. Unless you're really into history there was no real way to play along with them either, which is half the fun with quiz shows, so that probably dampened my enthusiasm for it too.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

thehustler posted:

Is there a full tracklisting for Hypernormalisation yet? I've seen the Guardian article already.

Was wondering if anyone knows the name of the music which appears towards the end of this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvKUN1a2AHE

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I meant slightly before that in the part with all the shots of nuclear explosions and the businessman being murdered by the Yakuza.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

How come there are episodes where comedians that appear on it never get a chance to interject? Like that one with Charlie Brooker where he never said much more than two sentences.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Anyway, I'm assuming the specials came about because of what happened with Chris Langham? On the plus side you get Rebecca Front, who's always a joy to watch.

The Rise of the Nutter episodes? That's probably part of it, but they came out at the end of 2007 to parody the fallout from Blair stepping down and Brown becoming Prime Minister.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's always used the Funeral For Queen Anne in the 'things are a bit poo poo' bits since Screenwipe.

That piece was written for her sister, Mary's funeral.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The guy that sang that Grace Kelly song?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

diotoir diotor diotior díotóir robotwar robotwars robot war wars bbc competition heavyweight 1998 UK USA links nemesis wars mentorn vantec ugachaka gauntlet sumo robot-wars robot_wars sportsmanship award winner spike fur furry feoras pete peter redmond stainless steel pneumatic london dublin ireland irish aircorps air corps avionics willie murphy joe gavin john cunnane zulu william cairon byrne necromancer an tarbh donn dubh dearg gerry ryan bbc2 battlebots 2fm nelson amari blade spear spike feoras robots roadblock killalot dead metal matilda bash sergent sgt

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Inside Number 9 on Netflix now, looking forward to seeing what the early eps are like.

Anybody know why they've added season one and three of League of Gentlemen, but not the third?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I found all the accents in the trailer a bit jarring. I guess maybe it’s supposed to reflect the fact that the USSR is ginormous and probably has like a million different regional accents but it felt pretty startling to hear such a variety of (I presume) the actors’ own accents, especially in such a choppily edited stretch of footage.

I would have assumed that trying to portray the ethnic diversity of the USSR would have been something they would have been trying to avoid, given the can of worms it would open. People might wonder why they chose such a pale white guy to play Mikoyan, for instance.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I saw it today. Struck me as being an incredibly odd movie: it's not a particularly funny movie, a situation that isn't helped by its premise. I know it's probably wrong to expect a film of its nature to be historically accurate but even the explanatory subtitles in this are inaccurate, including the very first one you see (I think) as the movie begins.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

They show a block from one of the recent Seasons during the week, but seem to show the better older ones at weekends.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

eating only apples posted:

RIP robots :negative:

On the other hand Mastermind had rounds on Peep Show and the X-Men movies and I did significantly better on one than the other

I got about 50% of the Peep Show questions right. It's bizarre the stuff you remember from TV shows. I forget stuff from work day to day buy can somehow remember that Super Hans departs to Macedonia in the final episode.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

That makes sense for most UK shows, though not so much for Peep Show given that it ran for 9 series.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Fawlty Towers would probably be the easiest one. Just watch all six hours of it as many times as possible in the month before your appearance.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Enjoyed both seasons of Flowers a lot even though it seems odd that it as ever broadcast as a sitcom. The whole thing feels like an indie movie which somebody cut into twenty minute segments.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Good Omens mainly feels like it was a product of Pratchett's to me frankly, especially as it's far funnier and better written any of the novels Gaiman released after he finished writing Sandman.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

sebzilla posted:

That was "Blackadder: Back and Forth" which from memory was set on the Millennium NYE and involved some time-travel hi-jinks and present-day Blackadder making himself king by changing the past or something.

They don't go to the future in that one though. He might be thinking of the Christmas special with Queen Victoria where there's a flash forward to a version of Blackadder as emperor of the universe (or some such title like that).

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Taear posted:

New Limmy is up on iPlayer for those who don't know.
It's VERY Limmy but very good if you like him.

Feels weirdly topical watching a show shot that looks like it was shot entirely by one person as well.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

He’s bigger as a writer, I think. He wrote Ant-man, the big Spielberg CGI Tin-Tin, and he’s writing/directing an upcoming adaptation of Snow Crash. He’s doing alright, you know?

The last film he directed was one of the biggest box office flops of the year it came out.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Robinson did a load of impressions on one of the iteration of Charlie Brooker's Wipe show as well. She's been in a lot of stuff that I imagine people here have probably seen even if they don't immediately recognise her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDKt0lh3Y0

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

It appeared on 4oD when the latest series of Taskmaster started. I don't think it's particularly funny but if you like Alex Horne's weird humour it might be worth trying.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah but like that guy in Seinfeld says about Myanmar, it'll always be 4oD to me.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I like Jeopardy but feel like most of the charm of the show has kind of gone since Trebek died.

Mickolution posted:

Don't see how they'll link the two, but in the US, the chasers are Jeopardy champions.

One of them was part of a winning University Challenge team as well bizarrely.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

eleven extra elephants posted:

Yeah I loved the books too, even went to a talk with the author at Waterstones, (do they even do this any more?) I'd be curious how much of that stuff is debunked now.

Was randomly thinking this the other day as well after watching this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wif1EAgEQKI

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

There's a thank you message to him in the credits, yes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Fatty posted:

I was stunned awhile ago when actors in Ghosts got no scoring answers. Its probably the biggest British sitcom around and not one of the hundred could name a single person in it.

I remember this happening LOL because I thought of Bridget Christie and Jessica Knappett's appearances in the show and then was genuinely disappointed that I could have named literally any one off the cast to win.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I thought the Ghost finale was nice. Not sure what people apparently found so disappointing about it?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Havent watched the ghosts finale yet but i dont think Alison seeing ghosts elsewhere was ever an issue outside of the first episode? At that point she was trying to escape the Ghosts at button hall so the flat they were looking at having ww2 pilots outside the window was a deterent, but by now shes completely desensitised to her gift so i dont think its an issue at all, she can just like ignore them or talk to them? I dont remember it ever really coming up as an issue ever again once she got friendly with the button house ghosts.

Yeah in that episode she finds a new build home with no ghosts but decides to stay in Button House for other reasons.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Jakabite posted:

What’s the deal with jeopardy? Is there any reason they have to phrase the answer as a question? Or is it just a pointless gimmick to piss people like me off?

When the show was originally broadcast they did actually structure the questions so that you had to provide a question that matched the answer in the clue. When the show was brought back with Trebek they more or less stopped doing this but kept making people phrase their answers as questions.

The US version is much better than the one with Fry that's just started, which has made the show way slower and more tedious than the snappy half hour format they have in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Annabel Pee posted:

Is it weekly instead of daily and not having the returning winner format? That’s the best part of the format, tuning in when someone’s been on a winning streak for a while.

Everything's the same but they've doubled the length of the show and added an extra Single Jeopardy plus way too much of Stephen Fry talking to fill the longer runtime.