Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

A5H posted:

This is not good either :(

I had to turn over halfway through the X-Factor sketch. loving abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The concept of the Knight Rider sketch was great, but unfortunately the execution was piss poor. It definitely could have done with having a couple of minutes edited out to tighten it up a bit.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

A nice example of original writing is the man who arrived in Hollyoaks, claimed he was an alien, and got Elliot a job at NASA.

What the gently caress?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

Yeah he just insisted he was an alien and acted all "crazy humans and your emotions I do not understand basic human interaction." it was pretty stupid.

I'm just hoping it'll eventually turn completely loving insane like Night and Day did. They're halfway there already.

Sounds like it's going the way of that American soap that has mermaids and knights templar and visits from the pope.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

fuf posted:

But yeah it's weird that panel shows don't exist in America. They are probably really cheap to make, and it's a good medium for comedians. I think they're much better than chat shows in a lot of ways, because the focus isn't just on one person so it flows better.

I think it has something to do with American audiences being unable to comprehend a quiz where the points don't matter and nobody wins anything at the end. I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

eating only apples posted:

I miss Robin Hood. I really loved it and I know I shouldn't have. They did kind of kill Robin, though, so it's kind of difficult to carry it on after that :v:

They managed fine in Robin of Sherwood.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FractionMan posted:

Said mutual friend also had a flatmate who went out with Josie Long. He was apparently lucky to do so.

Why? Is she particularly dirty or something?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Or they just like fatties.

I reckon it's the twee little girl act. They're just a pair of paedos.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

LE0N posted:

*dappy flies in*
You are unable to watch a great episode of buzzcocks then.
*dappy flies out*

I didn't think N-Dubz where around while Mark Lamarr was still doing Buzzcocks.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Vequeth posted:

You mean you werent laughing at panorama trying to interview a WoW nerd as he was playing?

Really? I know what I'm watching on iPlayer later.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

nationalista posted:

Do people who watch soaps just not give a poo poo about spoilers?

No they don't, because they tend to be normal people rather than autistic man-children.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

This weeks episode of Tramadol Nights was slightly better than the first one, but still not that great.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Do you guys generally discuss only new/current shows? I just finished watching the first series of Life on Mars, and aaahhhhhh, I'm bursting

I was thinking of making a thread for older BBC series (anything from Quatermass to Are You Being Served to recent stuff that's just too old to have an active thread going) but if this is the place for that, I'll just stick around here.

Just use this thread dude, it's not exactly high traffic. Unless of course some twat starts singing the praises of Seinfeld, then it goes a bit mental.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Alan loving Carr? I'd rather have the David Walliams/Rob Brydon comedy blackhole back again.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Zorba the Greek posted:

Whats the line up for it?

About five posts up? :downs:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Brown Moses posted:

I enjoyed the "Confession of a..." sketch, but then it was followed by the Colombian news, which was just lazy writing.

All the sketches are lazy writing. They all have a core concept with the potential for hilarity, but they all come across as if they've just filmed the first draft and called it a day. The Loose Women Iran sketch is mentioned often as one that actually works, which is because it's about 30 seconds long and follows the format of setup-buildup-punchline.

The Knight Rider sketch as counter-example follows the format setup-buildup-buildup-rambling bollocks-punchline in there somewhere-what the gently caress were we doing?-better end this now. Comes across like a funny joke being told really badly by a pissed bloke in the pub.

While I'm happy to see Frankie able to tell the jokes he wants without the BBC cutting anything that might even slightly offend, he still needs a producer that will cut things because they're lovely and don't work.

EDIT: To clarify and answer the post above mine, I don't think the slackness is due to laziness. I think it's due to him having free reign, with nobody standing over him and saying "tighten this poo poo up" or "You might love this sketch but it's not funny, cut it".

Flatscan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2010

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think Flatscan pretty much stated he could do better, he just needs to swallow some of his ego and let a producer use his professionalism to give him criticism on what is good and what is bollocks.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. I'm a bit burned out after a marathon three-days-without-sleep essay writing session recently, can't quite make a coherent argument.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Holy poo poo, and the yanks have the cheek to complain about regional British accents.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cichlid the Loach posted:

What's this about? I admit watching LoM I had to rewind a LOT to catch some lines, and I found myself wondering if any Brits have the same problem with any regional American accents. Sometimes they really are two totally different languages that just happen to be more or less mutually intelligible.

Tonight's Top Gear special.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

What's all this drama with Vince Cable and BSkyB about?

All of the news stations are calling for his head, and i'm trying to understand why without some kind of lovely news bias (such as the hypocricy of not condemning those undercover reporters posing as constituent yet insinuating condemnation towards Assange).

From what I gather it's because he said he'd do everything he could to stop Murdoch's buying up of the UK media, including blocking the deal for News Corp to buy 100% of BSkyB.

If the BBC are throwing a shitfit about it too they're bigger loving idiots than I thought.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

echoplex posted:

Apparently there's a double bill of Tramadol Nights tonight - wonder if C4 are just trying to get rid of it now - so I guess my sketch will be on the second ep, 10:30 tonight (if it's not been cut). Will own up to which one it was after it's aired :)

Is it the Thomas the Tank Engine sketch by any chance?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Charlotte Church seems to have forgotten how to sing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Psybro posted:

gently caress me alive this Royle Family is bad, gently caress.

Which is why I'm watching the greatest Christmas movie of all time on Film4.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

cloudchamber posted:

Why are they showing the second one tomorrow and then jumping straight to the fourth on Monday?

Not a clue. Maybe they couldn't get the broadcast rights for the third one.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Cheers. Although, the signal is still as lovely as it was yesterday and i can't even pick the channel up properly :/ that could be why i missed it on the TV guide thingy.

I thought we were long past the lovely times of having crap TV reception, especially with the nationwide switchover to digital next year.

You probably need to upgrade your aerial.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Tramadol Nights update: Still not funny.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

In case anyone missed it, here's a summary of tonight's new Primeval episode: stand around gorping at that dinosaur waiting to get eaten by it.

To save me typing, just assume that'll be the plot next week too.

Yeah, the reduced budget really showed. Absolutely zero interaction between real and CG elements and the ARC set is now a fifth the size it used to be. Not sure why they bothered to bring it back.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

A bumming.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Awwwww, kitty.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Local Group Bus posted:

Just saw the trailer for the new series of Being Human and I know it's sort of a "Hey, we're coming back, remember us?" thing but they could have dropped some hints or placed something in there to at least give some indication of what is going to happen.

The trailers for Being Human never actually show footage from the episodes. This is last years main one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgoD8UpfnI, there were other shorter ones too, one for each character.

Saying that, I also want to watch it all now. Why do I have to wait :(

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ratjaculation posted:

Ah, I see. I don't mind Friends at all, but never saw episodes that explained that.

Very first episode, they explain that the big flat belonged to a now dead aunt or someone and that it's rent controlled.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

Which had pretty much the opposite effect that Apple intended if you ask me.

So PCs are boring and stuffy, but really clever and know what they're talking about, while Macs are mouthy and stupid and full of poo poo? I'll be buying a PC then.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

nationalista posted:

wow, uhhh, she doesn't sound too happy :(

Wow, bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Uncertain Frog posted:

Ross is the only one they should ask back.

They can't exactly ditch Ross anyway as his production company makes the bloody thing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

http://www.markwatsonthecomedian.com/web/2010/04/11/a-light-hearted-look-at-downs-syndrome/ is the blog post in question if people are interested. Frankie Boyle posted a comment on the blog today, quoted below.

I must say, Frankie Boyle is not only unfunny, he is a hypocritical oval office too.

Are you bunch of tits really calling someone a oval office based on a blog comment that could have been posted by anyone?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

He wrote effectively the same thing on his Twitter. http://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/23331631276236800

Fair enough then. Definitely a bit of pot-kettle-black going on there.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Paperhouse posted:

I think it's playing up that stereotype of teens buying a cheap bottle of cider and getting drunk in parks and bus stops and shite

I've never seen chavvy kids drinking loving Magners.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Speaking of magic, is anyone watching The Magicians on BBC on Saturday? Lenny Henry Ade Edmondson Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

Bloody hell, was the first trick they did one that transported us back to 1985?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

midge posted:

I left the UK a year ago. Does it have any decent comedy from the last year I should download?

Tramadol Nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh man don't be cruel.

Irisi posted:

You are a terrible person.

Ok, ok, I apologise.

Try the Morgana Show instead.