Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Watching Bake Off now, looking forward to seeing how racist the Little Britain guy can get with a theme like "Japanese Week". He's already referred to curry as "western inspired food"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

stev posted:

Ten seconds on Google suggests that Katsu specifically was designed to be Japan's take on Western food. :shrug: I don't know how accurate that is though, but I wouldn't be surprised since it's literally fried chicken. Lucas doesn't really say or do much in the episode.

I think Lucas is/was the least racist of the two, and at least looks back with some regret on that poo poo. Walliams has just doubled down and continued to be as awful as possible to everyone.

i mean i guess so but it seemed like they were referring to the curry as a whole, plus it's not like there was any katsu in there (looked like just normal chicken to me) and since they were doing Chinese buns on Japanese week it's already a bit sus. Probably unfair to single out Lucas especially considering how everyone else was happily saying a racial slur (the one against Romani, in reference to some lovely pie someone made) just last week but in my defence he's the most annoying.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

wooger posted:

The people featured in ‘big fat gypsy wedding’ etc. are not a distinct race.

Yeah, or we could just not rename foods because people who aren’t in the allegedly offended group decide they’re offensive.

European Roma Rights Centre: "Amongst most Romani communities this is an offensive racial slur"

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
i'm fine with Hermine leaving this week because, while she was probably the best baker overall left in the tent, she made one of the worst decisions in the history of Bake Off in just making up her showstopper as she went along. i'm also now hoping Laura wins because a) gently caress it, chaos reigns and b) the other two are the human equivalent of white noise. Even the show's editors can't find anything interesting about them, i genuinely forgot the older one was even in the show for most of this episode because he was barely shown outside of the judging.

That said this season has been probably the worst of all time, partly because of Matt Lucas being the least funny human to ever live but mostly because the judging is just dogshit now. The challenges are mostly pretty stupid, and the technicals in particular seem to be chosen not to actually test skill but to produce drama (loving setting a pudding which takes three hours minimum to steam and only giving 3.5 hours to make it total). And it's becoming increasingly obvious with every episode that nothing that happens in the first two days matters at all and everything is about the showstopper. They really need a change in judges to switch up the show's dynamic. i doubt they'll ever drop Paul as a judge but they should at least drop Prue, or get a third one in if nothing else.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Catzilla posted:

Ruby Tandoh got a Guardian newspaper column out of winning bake off.

Ruby didn't win her year, but just being in the final seems to be enough to guarantee at least one cookbook or newspaper column anyway. If you're entertaining during the show you can even get noticed without making the final (like Liam, who got his own show for one season and is now on both the Bake Off spin-off shows).

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

reality_groove posted:

The Little Britain apology also doesn't take into account the fact that they did Come Fly with Me in TYOOL 2010.

they also re-did some Little Britain sketches, including a super transphobic one, on some BBC charity thing literally last year

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I recently watched 'This House Has People In It' really late at night and gave myself a proper spook so I'm willing to entertain any of this awesome youtube horror stuff.

And I have also had 'green is not a creative colour' jammed in my brain since seeing Don't Hug Me I'm Scared. Trying to paint, reach for viridian. .o(green is not a creative colour)

I'd enjoy seeing more of local58 too. Is there a word for this kind of horror? Stuff that pretends to be old recovered footage or is just deeply unsettling instead of jumpscares? I hate jumpscares.

It's usually called Analog Horror. Mostly found on Youtube and mostly poo poo, but there are some good ones out there.

A series I've liked recently is British Cryptids. I don't find it particularly unsettling or scary but it does try for a similar vibe. I mostly enjoy it as just some cool invented folklore about weird creatures.

I've also been recommended (but haven't really watched/listened to, so sorry if they're actually poo poo) some which are more unsettling, and which are very popular; Mandela Catalogue, Gemini Home Entertainment, and the podcast Archive 81. Archive 81 also had a netflix show earlier this year which didn't really grab me, but I've been told the podcast is better.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Traitors ep 4: those "who's the most X" surveys are apparently really lethal this year. Brian freaked out about his "sheep" thing so bad he got himself offed for no reason, and now Paul has made himself look incredibly suspicious because of being chosen "most popular" among a group of people who've known each other for like 2 days. He's spent the whole time talking about how it makes him a major target and now he has to spin why Meg got murdered over him if he's not a traitor. One of the biggest self-owns i've seen on a reality show.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Traitors: Paul clearly is much worse at the game than he thinks he is. Jaz has basically no power over the group and there's a bunch of other people who everyone is way more suspicious of (Zack's definitely out soon if not next episode) so he'd be way safer just ignoring him for now. Like with Maddy (i think) last series, where her going for Wilf became the group's running joke even though she was right the whole time.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Traitors: man Paul is so weird, I know a lot of it's the editing and we have the benefit of knowing everyone's affiliations already but I can't believe no-one would have picked up on how sus he was acting after Miles got banished. Harry's definitely right to be getting ready to drop him, and really looking forward to his reaction to getting outplayed.

From the way Miles was talking I was fully expecting him to try and drop Harry in the poo poo as well, maybe go out like Kieran from last series and just burn it all down.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Traitors: the Harry/Andrew "partnership" is going to be really interesting while it lasts. I'm hoping for Andrew to pull off a miracle victory as the funniest possible outcome for the series.

e:

EL BROMANCE posted:

(Traitors) Paul’s biggest mistake was not murdering Jas super early on. Everyone says it would’ve instantly brought suspicion on him if he did, but eh I’m not entirely convinced the faithful actually would’ve put it together. You could probably murder every person who named you at the previous round table, and the next day they’d banish someone for walking in a funny way once

The traitors keep saying they can't go for someone who names them since it would look like retaliation but everyone thinks that so you could easily spin it as a frame-up instead. Especially if it's someone like Jaz that no-one seems to actually like, they'd be super willing to just go with it.

dordreff fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 19, 2024

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

In this instance coming into the final the faithfuls could be 100% sure there was at least one Traitor left as no traitors had been unmasked since Zack got murdered. Once Evie was banished, and revealed she was a faithful, there was still clearly at least one traitor left. This ended up being resolved when Andrew got canned, but if, say Jaz had been voted off instead, it would have been clear there was still a traitor and they would have kept banishing until they got one. So it was literally impossible that both Harry and Andrew could win.

If Jaz had been voted off instead of Andrew, there would have been 2 traitors and 1 faithful so they just vote out Mollie and split the money. If there's only one traitor going in to the final though they're basically hosed outside of the faithfuls voting out each other until there's only one left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Started the UK version of Traitors earlier and I like Claudia but I was partially clicking to see some more Alan Cummings outfits, so it was an unfair start. I did like the first line-up game, don't know if I'll see it all through but I do want to know: Do the two immediately cut people ever sneak back into the game as double secret traitors or something, or was it just a straight up cut?

In series 1? Yes, they return to the game at a later date.