Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Merlin starts again tonight but it's not being broadcast in HD. What the gently caress, BBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Whitechapel starts again tonight. The first series was surprisingly good, and I hope they've kept the noir atmosphere. It'll probably be another big hit like the first series, so ITV will undoubtedly commission another one.

Hopefully the writers will have moved on from copycat murders in the next series, and we get more complex plots and villains.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

I was in a cinema down in London yesterday and i saw an advert for this Cray brothers drama thing. It's got the guy from Spooks (season 4 onwards) and one of the League of Gentlemen guys in it, but i missed it's name. It actually looked quite good, but it was an ITV production :psyduck:

I actually mentioned the programme before but no-one replied (pretty much says everything about the state of ITV). It's called Whitechapel, and it's in its second series. It's extremely well made and different to other detective shows in its tone and atmosphere. It's one of the few outstanding programmes that have appeared on ITV recently.

The first series was about copycat Jack The Ripper murders. I thought all three episodes were excellent, although, at first, I was hesitant about watching it because I find the subject of Jack The Ripper tedious. However the writing, character development, the noir settings and atmosphere of the first series made it very enjoyable and engaging.

I've got to say I enjoyed the first Whitechapel more than Sherlock. I'd recommend watching the 2009 broadcast first.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

It doesn't seem as badass if it's some gimmicky "copycat some historical nasty" crime drama show.

That's what I initially thought when the first Whitechapel was about to air, but I was pleasantly surprised by 30 minutes into the first episode. Give the 2009 episodes a watch. If you liked the first episode of Sherlock, you'll like Whitechapel.

I'm surprised not many people have any interest in the programme here. Whitechapel was ITV's biggest hit in 2009 and was well received by the press.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

Ok, I'll bite, but if it's poo poo I'll 'ave to cut ya.

The first series prominently features Steve Pemberton as a creep who lives in his mother's basement. That should be enough for me to escape nerd beatings, right?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm watching Theroux's "Ultra Zionists". Five minutes in and it's already got enough disgusting specimens to make this programme hard to swallow.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That was the best Rock and Chips episode yet. There were some great quips and one-liners the earlier episodes lacked. Hopefully John Sullivan had written a couple of extra episodes before he died because I'm warming to the series.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

spe posted:

The Shadow Line is loving mint and the second episode has left me craving more like some sort of smack rat.

The last half of the second episode has hooked me in, but I got the feeling from the first episode that the show took itself way too seriously. I mean I get it's supposed to be a noir drama, but the dialogue and [over]acting involving Honey and Patterson was cringeworthy in places.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which is just as well, given that he's an unfunny, inexplicably smug twat...who never brought much to the programme.

This also sums up Ian Hislop 2007-present.

The show's demise is compounded by Paul Merton losing the razor-sharp wit he had up until a few years ago.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

For quiz shows:

Never Mind The Buzzcocks

They Think It's All Over (there were quite a few truly hilarious episodes with the Hancock, Gower, Lineker, McGrath and Jonathan Ross quintet).

I'd also add ~2003-2006 Bremner, Bird and Fortune to the sketch show/satire list. Just after the Iraq war and Tony Blair's scummy part in it, the show was wonderfully acerbic. I also loved how Bremner tore both Blair and Michael Howard apart.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm not going to lie, I love Outnumbered and can't wait for the fourth series. A repeat of an episode from the third series was on today and I laughed as much as I did when I first watched it last year.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Metrication posted:

I've really come to hate Mock the Week, I just find it incredibly unfunny now. I haven't watched an episode for a year or more maybe.

I feel the same. It's became too repetitive and the fact so much of it is scripted makes it less funny.

It's still fresher than HIGNFY, though. I think most people should reach a point when they get sick of every episode devoting 5 minutes to the smug grin on Ian Hislop's face as he boasts "Heh, aren't I ignorant of football, pop music and black culture :smug:"

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I know everyone avoids ITV, but I was pleasantly surprised (and hooked) by Injustice. It starts off as a meandering, slow moving crime drama and turns a whole lot better and sinister after a couple of episodes. The final episode was on tonight and my only reaction, in a good way, is :psyduck:

It was on every evening this week at 9pm, and I recommend giving it a watch.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

So, did I miss something, or did Shadow Line have precisely one character (Bede) who you could spend more than one rather short sentence describing without having to mention his job and/or function to the plot?

This is my issue with the show. Looks gorgeous, great cast, a plot with twists and turns in all the right places...but why should I care about any of the people in it?

Overall I enjoyed The Shadow Line, but the character development was easily its weakest part. Bede and Gabriel are the only two that had any decent amount of time devoted to their flawed lives (and I think both characters were excellent) - the rest were all rather one-dimensional or cartoonishly evil.

Gatehouse was the worst written character on the show. Looking back, for a thriller that's intended to be relatively gritty and realistic, I'm rolling my eyes at what a ridiculous villain he's shown to be.

I think his character is contrived and lazily written because he's that bastard that knows everything, happens to be ten steps ahead of everyone else, is a master of surveillance and snooping, a master string puller, people shake in fear at the mention of him, and he can take half a dozen bullets to the chest, survive and walk out of the hospital a few days later (after, of course, having thwarted an expert assassin). He's like a disappointing mix of Professor Moriarty, Scaramanga, Dr. Fu Manchu and Darth Sidius.

I didn't have a problem with the very glib conclusion of the show, though. The police getting away with murder and protecting their own is quite apt given what's happened since summer 2005.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

knees of putty posted:

drat. Luther is good, if a bit gruesome.

It's very enjoyable fluff. And I approve of the writers naming more villains Cameron.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

It didn't help that The Shadow Line came out in between series 1 and 2 and raised the bar for urban police crime drama.

I've been watching a few Cracker episodes recently on ITV2 and I'm struggling to think of a modern police drama that compares to it in quality. The depth of writing and storytelling on Cracker elevates it above every crime drama I've on watched on British television since the '90s.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I lost interest in The Shadow Line when the villain took several bullets to the chest, survived, and walked out of hospital a few days later (after foiling an expert assassin). Its best episodes are before Glickman and the psychopathic twink become players in the story, and then it mutates into a bit of a mess.

Those episodes were genuinely absorbing as noir drama before the tone turned silly.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Hour is a decent show although by the end it'll probably feel a couple of episodes too long (the same problem BBC2 had with The Shadow Line). Four episodes have been broadcast so far and, in my opinion, there's a little too much fluff in each episode meaning we aren't shown nearly enough of the MI6-Soviet conspiracy plot, but get too much of the dull love triangle hogging the show.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

fuf posted:

Outnumbered was ok, but I kind of think the children are a little old now and not really that funny anymore.

Outnumbered is a magnificent show, but I do agree that maybe the children are a little too old now. The two youngest ones are at an age where you don't expect kids to behave like that unless they're mentally retarded. Karen and Ben basically made the show, but it's less cute when you hear kids over 10 coming up with such awkward questions. Hopefully the writers can evolve the show or put an end to it before it starts resembling My Family.

I'll just link to one of my favourite Outnumbered scenes ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCL2eQwg0c

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The YouTube commentator was right though, Beverley Knight is definitely a Milf.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

Of course there were panel shows before, but They think it's all over's popularity directly lead to someone saying "hey, why don't we do the same thing, BUT WITH MUSIC?", and from there on in it was just any excuse to get a bunch of comedians and celebrities together.

People forget how popular They Think It's All Over was. From the late-90s to early-2000s it used to get around 10m viewers, and was always among the top 10 most watched TV programmes of the week. There wouldn't be as many comedy panel shows if it wasn't for the programme's success.

For about four years it was very, very funny, but then Gary Lineker and David Gower left. :(

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

The BBC couldn't afford a good designer.

This is true because the new and upcoming BBC website is abysmal and a mess. Even though the current chamfered boxes look isn't amazing, it's much easier to read and for your eyes to sort than the new, Windows 8 inspired web design.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It's no coincidence the worst Never Mind The Buzzcocks episodes are always hosted by a musician.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The shameless plugging of his autobiography was cringeworthy. That's the kind of nonsense Lamarr would rip into in the past.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That old coot is too crazy even for the Tory party. He's a member of UKIP and has been staunchly xenophobic and sexist for years and years.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

There are two types of women in Moffat's Sherlock: the cunning Irene Adler, and the regular, pathetic, unremarkable female that exists only for Sherlock Holmes to belittle.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

He's an excellent writer and I've really enjoyed a lot of his stuff but this attitude does show up in most of his work that I've seen.

I'm not surprised at a quote like that when the sexism in Sherlock is so obvious, but it's no big loss for me. I don't like Doctor Who at all and his reimagining of Jekyll was a massive piece of poo poo.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Tempo 119 posted:

Is there any specific reason you decided to bring this up?

This thread is for discussing things you did or didn't like about a programme you just watched.

Moffat's "belittling" of men is noticeably different to his belittling of women in the show. Holmes disparages most male characters by labelling them as stupid or clumsy, but his remarks towards women almost always involve comments about their looks, their desperation for a man or their adulterous behaviour. If I recall from the first episode of the last series, Holmes's first deduction in the murder case was that a female member of police had just given a colleague a blowjob.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Apart from the nature documentaries, the BBC's contribution to other documentaries, especially political ones, has been atrocious and quite appalling for a few years now.

They really only do three different types these days: ones involving the Afghanistan war that are hugely biased towards American and British forces, hour-long observational documentaries aired at 12 a.m. showing our brave lads adjusting to regular life after returning home from Afghanistan, and Robert Peston walking around the streets Westminster discussing the economy.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Can't we just have Greg Dyke back? I get angry just looking at Mark Thompson's ugly mug. The BBC has certainly dumbed down and become more pro-government under this guy's reign.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Al2001 posted:

I'd go for Option 3: someone new entirely. Greg Dyke was a pompous tart.

What makes him a "pompous tart"? Unless standing up to Blairites, modernising parts of the BBC, being immensely popular with BBC staff and succeeding in establishing the BBC as more ethnically diverse makes him a "pompous tart".

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/26/mark-thompson-readiness-step-down-bbc

quote:

Mark Thompson, the BBC's director general, has signalled to senior colleagues that he is ready to step down, with insiders believing he will quit at the end of 2012 or early in 2013, at the end of the broadcaster's Olympic year.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Mowglis Haircut posted:

CJ - Smug know it all arsehead. Gay. Marathon-runner. Probably the most expressive out of all of them, and the one who loses the most. Jeremy Vine loving hates him. Weaknesses: Sport, Geography.

If you don't think he's bad enough already, it's worth remembering 'CJ de Mooi' is not his birth name, and his chosen surname of 'de Mooi' translates to 'the beautiful' in Dutch.

He actually changed his name to CJ the Beautiful.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

New series of Whitechapel starts tonight. Watch the first one if you haven't had the chance!

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

The first two, you mean.

I thought the second was pretty crap, sadly.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Season 6 was when Hustle was at its best, but the main writer has said this will be the programme's last season, so he's accepted as well that he's run out of ideas.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

Not a very good programme though

Of course it's not, it's written by Lynda La Plante who's loving awful. She's a horrible person and an even worse writer.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'd like to thank the people that were recommending State of Play a few pages back. I enjoyed the first five episodes immensely, and I'd rank it as one of the best dramas on British TV since Cracker. Bill Nighy steals every scene he's in.

But I pretty much guessed by the end of episode five that the final twist was going to involve the revelation that Stephen Collins had hired the hitman. After watching and reading far too much Agatha Christie, I just expected the character the writer wanted me to feel most sympathy to be the villain.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm a snooker fan for two weeks per year as well.

And I'm normally a calm and easy going person, but looking at Judd Trump's face and hair - and having to listen to the gormless monkeys that accompany him screaming "GWAN JUDD" after every shot - makes me fantasise about ferociously pummelling him for hours with a bat until his remains are nothing but blood and ooze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Richard Hammond presenting a nature programme on the BBC. :ughh:

Aren't all three of the Top Gear prats global warming-denying, James Delingpole wannabes?