Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

Yes and stealing bread to feed your family is the correct thing to do as well but theft is still immoral, and remaining honest when surrounded by crooks is still noble.
Right because all strikes are equal and noble and justified and the people striking are paragons of virtue and the employer must be in the wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Meltdown321 posted:

`````
Use the right loving key, you tit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT. That may be in large part due to having to design a video game around a heavily "banter-based" panel show and getting frustrated and having to ask people to quantify what "a bit of banter" actually means from a gameplay perspective. poo poo those were some long design meetings.

Oh and back to US sitcoms for a minute, is it just me or is Everybody Loves Raymond just... soul crushing? It's the slow breakdown of an unhappy marriage set to a laugh track. It's so grim and depressing. I don't know why the gently caress it ran for so long. Who laughs at that? I guess Robert makes a funny face or shouts every couple of episodes.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

You watch a lot of Dave's continuity then? What was the game, if you can tell us?
Yes! That's exactly what gets to me. And no, I can't I'm afraid. It might still happen in a few month's time. I can say, though, that the design ended up as sort of an adventure game set in a panel show context. I was really looking forward to playing it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't watch Hollyoaks, but sometimes it gets left on while I'm doing stuff, and the episode that's just finishing now is actually not completely poo poo. Except for the cheesy, unnecessary flashback-voiceover just now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Flatscan posted:

What the gently caress?
Yeah he just insisted he was an alien and acted all "crazy humans and your emotions I do not understand basic human interaction." it was pretty stupid.

I'm just hoping it'll eventually turn completely loving insane like Night and Day did. They're halfway there already.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

He was set up. Also I thought it was his brother's restaurant he set fire to? Because the business had tanked and he'd be able to claim on the insurance and be alright.

The girl that wants to be a boy is hilarious, her idea of serious acting is literally :stare:

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 2, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So Warren is the guy that stabbed the other dude in the gut (visibly) and threw his body in the fire? That was pretty full-on for tea time viewing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

They sometimes do late night specials. Essentially it's the same total madness, but with added sex and violence.
Sure but this was at 6:45.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

justcola posted:

one of the things that annoys me about QI is the way that the scoring is set up. I get than alan davies is always meant to lose, but he regularly gets -17 and such when I can't see any reason why.
The "obvious" wrong answers give varying amounts of points depending on how obvious they are, but they do specifically try to catch Alan out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ashes to Ashes will answer pretty much every question you have.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It was odd that (BIG ASHES TO ASHES SPOILERS) Ashes to Ashes and Lost ended up, at pretty much the same time in the TV schedule, ending in really similar ways, right down to one particular character going round "unlocking" people.

Can anyone else think of any other times when two very different shows have ended up with strikingly similar plots at the same time?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I couldn't find an active thread for The Daily Show, but, poo poo.
Whaaat? Now how am I going to get my daily dose of laughing at US politics? :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ratjaculation posted:

How can 6 people, 3 of which are unemployed, afford giant apartments right next to Central Park?

When they reveal in the finale that they've all been meth dealers the whole time, wasn't that big a shock.
Ross is a respected professor, Chandler seems to be really well paid (before he goes into advertising) but his and Joey's apartment is hardly massive (it's a bit poo poo, really), the big apartment belongs to Monica's grandmother or aunt or something who's had it for a long time. Phoebe is the poorest but lives further away anyway.

People always bring this up but it's not that ridiculous.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't like HIMYM at all at first, but then I started leaving it on in the background and got used to the characters and now I quite like it. I think that's how it is with most sitcoms, though; you need to get to know the characters before it can really click for you, you can't just watch them like other shows. The same thing happened for me with The Big Bang Theory.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know, in Friends you see them in work about as much as you do in HIMYM.

From the start you'd see Chandler as a bored office drone, then he was unemployed, then he went into advertising. Monica was working at a restaurant, then was unemployed, then started that catering business with Phoebe, then got a head chef job, then was a restaurant critic, and some other stuff I don't remember., Rachel worked her way up in the fashion biz - remember, she started it working as a personal shopper at Bloomingdale's, before going to Ralph Lauren and working her way up, then getting offered a job at Louis Vuitton. Joey was often seen doing lovely plays or bit parts or TV shows. Phoebe was shown doing volunteer work or working as a masseuse a lot. Ross is the only one we didn't see at work much until he became a lecturer.

We saw all of that spread over 10 years. Honestly I don't think you're remembering right. When they're at the coffee house or at home it's before or after work, or at the weekend. It's not hard to reconcile, especially since all of them but Ross spent time unemployed.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've never really understood it's popularity, either, since it's loving depressing. I've never seen the very end of it but I can only assume Ray and his wife get divorced because their relationship consists of unhappiness and lies and disappointment.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anybody else find the current Morrison's advert kind of creepy? With the pulsating food, and marching and exploding sounds. Weirds me out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Adrianics posted:

Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.
So you're saying you've never seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or Man to Man with Dean Learner? What the gently caress?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Indeed. I hope she let him read it, first, but if the article is accurate he may have been oblivious to the content anyway.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tardstar posted:

This is getting tedius now. I realise there has to be a debate on the value of women comedians at least once a year but are we really trying to say Lauren Laverne isn't on the same level as the other 3? I realise some of you see David Mitchell as a possible friend you could take to the pub while the scary female is controlled by the moon but come on have a bit of respect and stop making smarmy arse remarks about token girl. If you don't like her then just say so instead of making cruel insinuations that her comedy career is some kind of terrible accident.
I honestly had no idea she had any sort of "comedy career."

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really get the "selling cider to teenagers" thing... Is it selling to teenagers just by virtue of being cider? It's hardly youth-centred, is it?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zorba the Greek posted:

But she isn't a child so I'm not quite sure how its sexual exploitation?
Are you saying only children can be exploited sexually?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Razor Ramon posted:

I second this, my friend told me about it and after watching the first 2 episodes I marathon-ed the rest in one sitting. :woop:

Maybe misfits deserves its own thread!?
It had one, but since the season is over and it'll be ages until the next one it's dead. Just talk about it in here.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ezzie posted:

I don't watch any soaps, but these Hollyoaks/Eastender's plot lines make me think you guys are making poo poo up.

Hugging a scare crow whilst mourning the loss of your cot-death child. Really?!?
I haven't seen it but I imagine it was some sort of scarecrow toy (the bob the builder character?) that would've been a stand-in for the lost child. Out of all the things to pick out as ridiculous that one doesn't seem particularly applicable.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Squalitude posted:

It was on in the background and I wasn't really paying attention, but did they ever explain why, if they were getting so much more fish than they were allowed, why they didn't just... fish... less?
Different types of fish have different quotas, and you can't help but catch ones you aren't allowed to keep.

I did enjoy Hugh making that minister look like an idiot, even if it wasn't really fair (he doesn't need to know different types of fish by sight to do his job.)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

HERAK posted:

Not to mention the +1 channels
Do you really not find the the +1 channels useful? I think they're a godsend and wish every channel had one. If two shows you want to watch are in the same time slot you can just +1 it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

How the hell can someone not like Lauren Laverne?
It's not that people don't like Lauren Laverne, it's just that some people would rather maybe have another funny person to go with the other funny people.

Although, having said that, in the Alternative Election Night show none of them were particularly funny.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Metrication posted:

I guess I'm just way too optimistic :smith:

But I did think there were strict rules over news stations being biased which is why our TV news hasn't turned into the same pile of poo poo that the US's has.
Did you miss the BBC guy (I forget who he was, someone at the top) pushing for them to be allowed to be biased? And that Fox News was good? Yeah.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

I really don't get what they're thinking though. Nobody wants to have a multitude of different things installed to play different things. Iplayer is great because it has all of their media content on one site.
Plus won't it gently caress up all the integrated iPlayer things on set top boxes and consoles and in tellies and poo poo? People would suddenly not be able use the radio content, and an additional app is unlikely...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm willing go give them the benefit of the doubt and see how the series pans out, because Mitchell obviously needs a lot more practice. I just wish he'd got the interviewing practice in something else first so it wouldn't be an issue, though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

So apparently Blue have a rather big fan base in Europe. My sister's a huge Eurovision geek and has been to Eastern Europe tons and they still get airplay over there. She reckons we've actually given ourselves a decent shot this year, and while I'm not entirely convinced about that I can buy that Blue are loved by other countries. After all, Germany adores the Hoff.
I always assumed this was seriously overplayed by the Hoff himself. Is that not the case?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

What kind of primitive still uses a CD player? Guffaw i say to you, guffaw!

In all seriousness though, i think it's high time shops adopted a digital distribution system where you can pop in and buy an MP3 right there in the store and have it transfered to whatever device you've got on you (or a link emailed to you at home where you can then click and download it or something along those lines).
Why? Why would shops need to do this, especially if you had to download the song at home anyway where you could just use iTunes/Amazon/whatever anyway? Shops don't need to be connected to digital distribution at all, that's the whole point of it...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That Harry Cole guy is a joke. He clearly didn't think through a single one of his points.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Forty Two posted:

This describes any retail park in the UK. I find it incredibly depressing.
At least it's not the US, where you happen upon what looks like a retail park but ends up being about 6 fast food places.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait I don't understand. Are people under the impression that the things the top gear presenters say are somehow off the cuff and not entirely scripted beforehand? You're acting like Richard Hammond was sitting there thinking "this is it, this is my time to let everyone know how poo poo those loving mexicans are, I just have to wait for a natural opening in the improvised conversation about cars...!"

Someone wrote that line (possibly Hammond himself) and somebody saw it and somebody approved it. The problem isn't just the idiot presenters, it's more systemic and insidious than that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Padje posted:

I presume Top Gear doesn't air live also?
Indeed.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

They're an easy target because they caused a bloody recession, took our money and are trying to prance around like the king shits they were when they were secretly loving us up the arsehole.

They're doing everything they can to get out of their huge, fucktardedly stupid mistakes with as few repercussions being brought against them as possible and the Tories are doing their damndest to let them.

So nah, lets not ease up on them yet because they loving deserve it.
Riiiight, it's not like international markets had anything to do with it, no sir. Let's keep simplifying things to have clear villains.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

What's this 4thought TV stuff that's always on these days and why do they seem to always be preaching religion when i see them on the telly?

The one that was just on was advertised as "should parents smack their children", which promptly turned out to be the woman saying yes it is because the Bible says so while then showing her finding and reading a passage from it.

My highschool was full of that kind of bullshit.
They seem to alternate points of view on a particular subject, I saw the opposite one to that (smacking is terrible and there's never any excuse for it) yesterday or the day before.

They should really show them back to back because if you just see one it comes off as being weirdly endorsed by 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

I just saw another one today on the same subject but with a different person and once again religion slipped into it. It wasn't as blatant as the one a few days ago but you could still tell that it was an ad for religion.
Like it or not, religion makes up a big part of many lives in the nation, and I'm pretty sure the idea of that segment every day is to reflect the viewpoint of a particular part of society. You and I aren't religious so we view those ones with natural derision, but I'm sure the opposite is true when an atheist or agnostic gives their view on something that often has a religious aspect for some people (like discipline, marriage, etc.)

Indeed, it has, in the past, devoted time to this very subject.