Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Thought I'd cut through the swathe and mention for the uninitiated about the Red Riding Trilogy. I know a lot of people watched it when it initially screened, but our American cousins need to be made aware before the films are chopped up and re-edited into a super-cut for their cinema market.

3 films, 1973, 1980 and 1983 exploring different protagonists trying to uncover murders and police corruption in Scary Yorkshire, for journalistic, and other times more personal reasons. Film hero Paddy Considine and TV stalwart David Morrissey are the focus on the latter 2, with Boy A himself, Andrew Garfield, in control of the first, as the shag-around-town Lego-haired reporter - providing good experience for his new role as Spider-Man (in the film of the same name)

The users of this thread have helpfully collected the titles of every British sitcom of the last 30 years. The list follows in order to help Americans and young people learn how to alphabetise, but not actually get anything else worthwhile from it (like what they, as an individual, might like to watch). It is of no use to anyone other than You Bet contestants.

Sitcom
15 Storeys High
2 Point 4 Children
Absolutely Fabulous
'Allo 'Allo!
Birds Of A Feather
Blackadder
Black Books
Bottom
Catterick
Dad's Army
Extras
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
Filthy Rich And Catflap
Friday Night Dinner
Game On
Getting On
Grandma's House
Green Wing
Hyperdrive
Lab Rats
Lead Balloon
Men Behaving Badly
Mongrels
Nathan Barley
Nighty Night
Not Going Out
Open All Hours
One Foot In The Grave
Only Fools and Horses
Peep Show
Red Dwarf
The Good Life
The Inbetweeners
The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret
The IT Crowd
The Mighty Boosh
The Office
The Smoking Room
The Thick Of It
The Thin Blue Line
The Vicar Of Dibley
The Young Ones
Saxondale
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Spaced

Black/Dark Comedy
Attention Scum
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Ideal
Monkey Dust
Night Night
Psychoville
Snuff Box
The League of Gentlemen

Chat Show/Spoof
Alan Partridge's Mid Morning Matters
Da Ali G Show
I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge
Man to Man with Dean Learner
Room 101
The Mary Whitehouse Experience
TV Heaven Telly Hell

Quiz Show
Al Murrays Compete For The Meat
Have I Got news for you
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
QI
Shooting Stars
They Think It's All Over
We Need Answers
Would I Lie to you
You Have Been Watching

Sketch Show
Armstrong and Miller
Big Train
Bremner, Bird and Fortune
Bo Selecta
Cowards
Fist of Fun
Harry Enfields Television Programme
Harry and Paul
Jam
Little Britain
Smack the Pony
Spitting Image
That Mitchell and Webb Look
The Catherine Tate Show
The Fast Show
The Sketch Show
This Morning with Richard Not Judy
Time Trumpet

Mockumentary/Spoof
Bellamys People
Brass Eye
Come Fly With Me
Rich Hall's Fishing Show
Rich Hall's Cattle Drive
The Day Today

Review Show
Gameswipe
Newswipe
Screenwipe

Stand Up
Is It Bill Bailey?
Live At The Appollo
Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights
Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle

Radio/Podcasts
7 Day Sunday
99p Challenge
Adam and Joe 6 Music
Armando Ianucci's Charm Offensive
Armando Ianucci Shows
As It Occurs To Me
Collins and Herring
Down The Line
Heresy
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
In Excess
Just a Minute
Lee and Herring
Lionel Nimrods Inexplicable World
On The Hour
Richard Herrings Objective
Sarah Millicans Support Group
So Wrong Its Right
That Mitchell and Webb Sound
That Was Then This Is Now
The Goon Show
The News Quiz
The Now Show
The Sunday Format
Vic Reeves House Arrest
Would I Lie to You

Padje fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

If it had occurred to me that the first page would be more significant than the rest I would've posted about Don't Tell The Bride

Alright, I will anyway. It's the BEST show. Another BBC3 9pm reality hit where people are forced to behave to some unwritten, or at least unshown, set of rules. A couple who probably never really planned on getting married are given £12000 and 3 weeks to spend/plan a wedding as long as the groom sequesters himself away and does everything along with his best man, leaving the bride in the dark until the big day itself. It doesn't sound too hard, although there are always the following roadblocks:

The Bride
Very rarely likes the dress chosen for her. The dresses are often very very nice and incredibly flattering, but nothing will ever match up to her imagination. If she chose the dress herself, she would've learned that months ago.

The Unwritten Rules
As mentioned before, other than the £12000/3 weeks bit, nothing else is made clear. The first few episodes I saw I couldn't believe the guy was wasting the 12K on paying for his mates to fly to European countries with him for the stag do. Surely everyone should pay for themselves? But 3 or 4 episodes into the series, with every groom doing the exact same thing, it's obvious anything related to the wedding HAS to be paid for out of the BBC money, otherwise they fail (how they fail is not made clear. It's a weird game show where the game show elements are completely hidden in production meetings with the 'contestants')

The Venue
3 weeks for cakes, dresses, stag dos is fine, but trying to book a nice place on short order means paying through the nose for it. This is where most of the money goes, and all plans of crazy transport (one guy planned on meeting his bride at the altar having had himself, and him only, lowered in by helicopter) have to take a backseat. A man last week printed his wedding invitations using a photocopier and A4 paper.

I recommend you watch it at least once to see the dopey grooms and unbearably entitled brides.

Tuesdays, 9pm, BBC3. Repeated the next day at 8pm.

Padje fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 23, 2010

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Piers wins because as a newspaper editor he published false stories about prisoner abuse in Iraq, directly endangering lives for profit.

He also had photographs staged of British forces abusing people. Right from the start it was clear they weren't real, having been too well taken, compared to the American cheesy holiday snaps that had surfaced.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

justcola posted:

I rarely watch eastenders but I have been enjoying the Phil on crack storyline just because it makes the other plots seem like small potatoes, which they are. And the only likeable character is Patrick who hasn't been in it for a while, sheesh.

They'll probably kill off Peggy by the end of this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Dot leaves as well as she looks like a five hundred year old wizard.

Peggy's meant to be leaving in a ball of flames in a week or 2, although I'd expect she gets the Dirty Den daffodils-on-the-ground treatment to leave it open.

Last week at the BBC I posed alongside the actual bust from the Queen Vic, and they gave me a badge that says I Heart Peggy :3:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

thehustler posted:

When are Channel 4 crashing that plane?

I hope they crash it into Blitz Street and make it a Christmas special.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Babs Babs Babs Babs ACTION GET OUTTA MAH PUB!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

The pHo posted:

There's plenty of people in the UK who'll write for next to nothing, I know a good amount myself (including award winning writers, not 'fresh out of uni' scrubs) and when I spoke to a BBC producer a few years ago he told me that pretty much anything I submitted to BBC3 would be given at least a pilot order due to the state of the channel. It's not just about budget, it's about what gets commissioned.

So what did you submit to him?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Lol wants Crazy Young Woody and resents the fact he tries to do well at his job, even though he's doing it so she can have the marriage and home she wants. Are we supposed to sympathise with her?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Please everybody watch Community when it starts on VIVA. It's the closest thing we have to Arrested Development, but probably more appealing to a wider audience, as all the characters look like they've fallen out of different genres, providing different types of jokes (some of which, sadly, are the aforementioned 'you are a black person' jokes).

Chevy Chase hasn't been this funny in decades, and another guy, Danny Pudi, playing a borderline aspie who views everyone else's life as if it's a tv show, is going to be the biggest comic star of the next few years.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

DougieFFC posted:

Do you work on Viva?

No I live on the internet and try and improve British lives through television recommendations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

You HAVE to watch the latest episode of Don't Tell The Bride on iPlayer. One of the most hilarious and depressing reality tv debacles I have ever seen. I'd explain exactly why, but I'd hate to ruin the multitude of surprises as one man sets about taking a machete to his life over 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tp553/Dont_Tell_the_Bride_Series_4_Simon_and_Kaleigh/

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Akuma posted:

She should've stuck to her guns and left him, he's a colossal selfish prick. I don't understand why she came round in the end.

If that was a film she'd have realized she'd actually loved his best friend, who knew her better than the groom did, all along. Then they'd get married in a stately manor.

I loved the nihilism of it at first until they looked like the really were going to get married. They've been together since she was 18, and she's about to lose another good portion of her life to a terrible relationship.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I thought this week's Inbetweeners was better than the preceding 2. It was more like the first series, with Jay repeating the 'beep beep beep' and the juvenile shouting of 'Gilbert!' and 'Oceanside!' (or whatever it was). Plus Jay going on about he's clocked this game and that game, spending the whole episode behaving like the idiot child he is. For more accuracy they should have had him say 'clocked it, and it's poo poo'. Will at the end wasn't that funny, but you can see his rationale. He just doesn't understand that being right isn't the same as doing what's right.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Algol Star posted:

No we don't.

Surprised to see no Theroux discussion here, another depressing but well done doc. Found myself really confused about everything at the end.

It was quite different to his usual documentaries, where he breaks down the PR image through his needling questions. He tried this here, but it didn't matter by the time he found himself in a blood-soaked stampede.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

It's all right. I'm sure Billie's only sleeping. Wake up Billie, come on. I've made you your favourite: coco pops with blue WKD. I'll just spoon it in your open mouth and you can chew it when you wake up.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

This looks familiar:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/21/ew-exclusive-skins-trailer/

That was really weird. It looked like a 'real' portrayal of actual American kids, even though it's apparently a shot for shot remake of what is an (at times) surreal British life.

I can't wait for that kid to get hit by a bus.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

that's good news, I love Jonathan Creek

I can never guess any of the mysteries though :negative:

Me neither, apart from the alien skull, which seemed painfully obvious from the outset. Although there's always more than one part to the mystery.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

BeeZee142 posted:

If you have a couple of hours to spare and want to watch some mindless telly, the 50 greatest Children in Need clips or whatever it's called was fantastic. It was on BBC3, narrated by Matt Berry, and lots of decent clips. Makes you remember how fantastic(and how fantastically awful) Children in Need can be :3:

I thought it was Rufus Hound doing a funny voice. I even wondered to myself how I could be laughing at his jokes.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

fuf posted:

e: also if the point of the game is to find the connection between the things, why do they drop from 5 points to 3 points for introducing the second thing? How could they possibly get the full 5 points with just one thing? There would be nothing to connect it with!

I've done it on the second round once or twice. The first picture was twilight, so I guessed the last would be breaking dawn. I've seen people on the show do it too, when the first clue might be something like 'ignition' and it makes them think of fuel traveling through a car, and they rightly guess the last part. I saw some guys do it in the first round, correctly guessing that the connection was aerial maneuvers based on one clue.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, the worst part is when she runs around in her underwear.

Now I am curious.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Lady Galaga posted:

This week's Coppers was depressing, a far far cry from the Gene Hunt days. Luckily next week is a riot episode, so there is that!

My favourite bit was when we the viewer solved the mystery of why someone would punch that guy in the face.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

"IT'S A CRIME TO COVER YOUR FACE IS IT?"
'We have the power in this situation to make people remove facial coverings - including burkhas'
"IT'S ONE RULE FOR US AND ANOTHER FOR THEM!"

I don't think you can ever rehabilitate the crazy out of these EDL guys.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I suspect you're talking about Stewart Francis by the way, and yeah, he's really good.

Is that the one-liner guy from Children In Need Mastermind?

keveh posted:

I'm in Horwich, I remember watching the Bolton Evening News website stream of it when it was happening.

I was a bit 50/50 about it all. At some points the police were unfair on people and some looked like they were out for scrap, the words they used at times were threats waiting to be reacted upon.

But after watching the whole series I'm not sure that I can blame them to be honest. They don't half put up with a lot of crap from the public, there were some perfect examples last night. No doubt there have been 'events' like this in the past where things have gone horribly wrong, so they just have to go off what they've experienced in the past.

The people who were trying to pass legal advice cards to the newly arrested seemed willfully obstructive. If you feel you know enough about the law and legal practices to go around trying to help people, surely you'd know that all arrested in the UK will be informed of their legal rights at the station. But then the flipside of that is the copper in a previous episode who was dismayed that suspected criminals had any human rights.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

keveh posted:

To add to the annoyance, he was easily the best stand up I have ever seen.

I've seen Kitson twice. The first, he just kept going on about food and how it welded with his relationships, and it was so endearing. The second was about a flat he rented in London and seemed to serve as an allegory for a girlfriend he had. It was also great, sacrificing humour for being touching, and was more of a one man play. No recycling at all, and I'd definitely see him a third time.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I saw Stewart Lee in Leicester a few weeks ago, and unknown to me he was supported by Simon Munnery, who was very funny even though most the audience had no idea who he was.
I'm hoping Stewart Lee's material about his Japanese hating, crisp loving grandfather makes it to his new series, along with his David Cameron story.

I've actually seen Munnery twice this year, and met him. The first was above a pub where he did a sub 15 minute set. They were the same jokes I saw him roll out at the Stewart Lee gig, but they just did not work outside the context of a full live performance, and it don't go over too well with the small crowd. I'd written him off until his set at Vegetable Stew.

Idioteque Dance, if you haven't seen Lee on the Vegetable Stew tour (I believe it's now on in Leicester Square for 2 months) you should really go, especially as Munnery should still be the support. As mentioned numerous times, Daniel Kitson is another clever comedian not pandering to the Michael McIntyre crowd. Be quick, as he sells out straight away. Doug Stanhope is the complete opposite of Lee in terms of delivery, choosing to ramble in whatever direction he feels, rather than meticulously stick to the arrangement of each word, but has a similar mindset. You can get one of his dvds for a few quid on amazon.

I don't think I like anyone as much as Stewart Lee though.

"it's been 97 years since a horse trampled a woman to death in the name of democracy"

Tim Key is funny in videos, but the short stand up I saw of his felt unprepared. He's a nice guy though. I've seen about 20 stand ups this year but I've forgotten the names of most.

Padje fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 2, 2010

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Ah man, I remember back in the day.

G1 hollyoaks. The first cast from 1995 (I was 13 when it started OK?). Always had a bit of a soft spot for the completely mental Lucy/Rob storyline:

That rather dry summary fails to capture how completely batshit the entire plot was, with Rob being portrayed as essentially a psychotic killer, turning the entire thing into a kind of silence of the lambs thriller for episodes at a time.

The Lewis/Ruth saga which culmintaed with him beating her half to death while on a massive alcohol fueled bender then trying to kill himself with paracetamol, failing, changing his mind then dying anyway of slow painful liver failure from the pills was also a HOOT.

Rob was great when I was 16. Proper tits-off psychological nutcase. I remember my mum having a go at me for watching the episode where Lucy goes cold turkey.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

eating only apples posted:

Lee's back now, you know! And he's probably the best character in it.

He was in Emmerdale for a while, and if memory serves his name was Lee in it too, thus making him, in my eyes, the same character. I've always wanted more soap character transplants. Matt Musgrove left Brookside and turned up later in Hollyoaks as the same character with the exact same name, even though they never really had much for him to do (a shame too, because he was incredible in Brookie, selling stolen gravel over the internet.) Jimmy Corkhill would've been a good choice to join Eastenders.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

I think that Paul should become the host and they should get someone far less Daily Mail than Ian "I don't understand football - look at audience, lean head" Hislop to replace Paul as team captain.

Stewart Lee - but he hates doing panel shows

Ollie from the Thick of It would be perfect (I've forgotten his real name!)

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

keveh posted:

I thought that Corrie was brilliant, the effects were definitely laughable but for a soap it was bloody good.

I swear the tram made the same noise as the monster from Lost when it came crashing down on the cabin!

As the tram died and its tailed lashed out into the Kabin, burying Rita under the sherbert lemons, it let out an audible groan.

"twas beauty killed by the sweets" --Ken Barlow

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Imagine living in a bubble without newspapers or colleagues talking about it, and watching monday night's Corrie not knowing of the impending disaster. You'd poo poo.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Take Me Out is hideous programming, but so compulsive. I caught half a round of last saturday's one, and loved how the girls turned their lights out on a not that bad looking guy based on his face alone (even though you can take yourself out of the game later on, no problems), and then about 5 went off when they showed him driving a car that wasn't a sports car.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

BBC putting Dirk Gently on the same week as Inspector George Gently was a mistake, I think. I ended up watching a bit of the latter and couldn't work out why no one from the ad was in it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

goatface posted:

He's not very good. He's trying to simplify concepts, but then he presents them in a hideously overcomplicated way. Also he can't seem to get two clear, coherent sentences out in a row.

Is he really the most charismatic choice for that sort of show? He was awful at presenting to kids.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

Anyone watching David Walliams' Awfully Good?

(It's poo poo, he's not funny)

I turned on about halfway through and caught a clip of some TV call in gameshow I remember used to take over every channel a few years back. The presenter was revealing the 'answers' to the clue 'hand' and each one could earn the caller money. The answers were things like 'handan' and 'handcuff bracelet chain' and and 'handsome dog you've got there, Barry' and 'handover fist, blinf blang bloop' and other seemingly made up phrases. If anyone knows how to locate this on youtube, I would be pleased.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Beeswax posted:

This?

(about three minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6ttnaeNmI

edit: I guess this isn't quite as outlandish as your description but it seems like a pretty good fit anyway.

That's definitely it, thanks.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

On saturday afternoon I heard the words 'easy meat' leave the mouth of a Sky News presenter in reference to rape victims.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Trickjaw posted:

Ah. I have been doing it all wrong. I never realised attempted sexual assault was a viable wooing technique, as seen on My Big Fat Gypsy Weddings.

Lovely technique. Pressure the girl into submitting. Physically harm the girl into submitting. If she submits to end the abuse she either has to marry the bloke or be known as a slag for kissing a guy who won't be her husband to be.

There's a book called Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh available in HMV for a couple of quid that deals with the roma gypsies, told by a soft boy who grew up in a fighting culture quite similar to that of the Irish travellers in the Channel 4 show. I'd recommend a read to discover the world of hurt and misogyny that the papers ignore in favour of more selfish 'they're putting caravans on our empty fields!' lines of attack.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Which one was Thunderbird 5? Are they going to leave this channel to rot in space?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Royality posted:

^^^^
And yeah, this. The kind of people who vote for these kind of shows have no discernible personal taste, and merely regurgitate whatever the general consensus is around them. This is why N-Dubz are liked by 90% of the population and why Little Britain is a comedy classic.

If they had no discernible taste and only parroted what the tastemakers chose, surely only cool dude stuff would win?

For the record: N Dubz last single peaked at number 18 in the singles chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Taear posted:

Belarus, it was Belarus.

And I'd say there's at least one act a year that is pretty decent. It was Lena last year - her album is amazing! And she's entering again for Germany this year which I find a bit bizzare.

That's great. It really adds to the winner stays on idea. Maybe if Blue win we should have them back time and time again until they are toppled.

It's great the artist has been pre-chosen, and a massive improvement over recent years, where 'our choice' is a sham pick of terrible terrible options. If Blue had to enter a race to be chosen for representation, they never would've done it (although I think Anthony Costa tried by himself one year) for fear of not getting chosen. Justin Hawkins lost to Scooch and almost died on tv.

I think they'll do pretty well with a good song. (INTERESTING FACT: Gary Barlow wrote a few songs for Blue in his post-solo pre-reunion years, none of which were used as singles. An album track he wrote ripped off Dr Dre!)