Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Akuma posted:

Wait I don't understand. Are people under the impression that the things the top gear presenters say are somehow off the cuff and not entirely scripted beforehand? You're acting like Richard Hammond was sitting there thinking "this is it, this is my time to let everyone know how poo poo those loving mexicans are, I just have to wait for a natural opening in the improvised conversation about cars...!"

Someone wrote that line (possibly Hammond himself) and somebody saw it and somebody approved it. The problem isn't just the idiot presenters, it's more systemic and insidious than that.

I presume Top Gear doesn't air live also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

LE0N posted:

Didnt someone out alan moore as being on the BNP lists that were leaked a year or two back. Could be completely wrong but i remember seeing him on there, could have easily been a different alan moore though.

I wouldn't think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0&

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also that magazine he published with the two butterfly dudes kissing on the cover.

Those gay butterfly men were both white though, so not much can really be learned.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

a hampster posted:

You can identify with one or the other of us, be it age, height, presentation or manner.

I could identify with several serial killers based on a such a loose set of traits.

'height'

height!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

J33uk posted:

Heston fixing up the hospital food was pretty good. Although I'm not sure why food for kids automatically has to be super wacky and gross, not sure if my ten year old self would have been impressed. Next week with the attempt to spruce up the food at Cineworld seems even less well thought out, if you're going to see a film and you are focusing on what you're eating then you've hosed up already.

The closest cinema to my flat is the oldest in the UK (apparently). They serve cured meats with olives, slices of cake and cups of tea on saucers. It's fine in concept, but watching the people trying to quickly eat it before they even get seated, so as not to try and pilot greasy or crumbly food into their mouth in the dark, with nowhere to rest a teacup, is sad and ridiculous. You walk out after the film and there are plates on the floor.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Carpet posted:

Are you talking about the Electric? Their tortilla chips are still a bit expensive though :( But they do sell some proper local ale (Purity).

That's it, yeah. I remember taking a few beers into see The Godfather one night and having it ruined with piss feeling.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Lord Dekks posted:

Did anyone read this article about Jim Davision yet?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12569498

I can't decide if its just a cynical ploy at trying to make a comeback or if he is genuinely changing his views.

I attended a set by Chortle award winner Joe Lycett last week in which he told an anecdote about being on the same bill as Jim Davidson recently. He was talking to him and asked him about the racism, words like 'chink', pulling a disapproving face. Apparently halfway through his set, Davidson came to a joke, looked off stage to Lycett, and censored himself by using the words 'chinese man' instead.

Strange days are afoot.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

A5H posted:

This local cineworld boss seems like a right self important prick.
Also Heston's first idea is retarded :(

The only person I liked was the concessions worker who pointed out that some customers have trouble between the notions of sweet and salted.

Also I hated the whole thing. Heston's a food wizard, not a social crusader, and I think he's aware of this as he sheepishly tries to sell his own brand of food he doesn't seem to like to people he loathes for money from Channel 4. His experiment with stale popcorn in the dark vs fresh popcorn in the light was laughable, with 2 variables, making it not the same experiment at all. People would probably probably prefer the 'stale' popcorn either way as it 'tastes right'. I've seen food programmes where they get members of the general public to eat low grade and then high grade sausages. The majority prefer the skanky ones, with the wisdom being that that is what they know a sausage to be, so if Heston was worried his own popcorn would get trounced, at least he could've fallen back on that. Instead he made out everyone was a big idiot.

"What makes popcorn so...popular?"

Not tasty. Popular.

Padje fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 2, 2011

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Everyone needs to watch Bob's Burgers on 4od btw.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379901&pagenumber=1

I would watch it, but all the people on the first page of that thread, who haven't watched it, have decided it's poo poo.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

goatface posted:

Someone who hates Murdoch needs to buy the rest of Sky News and devote it to reporting on every poo poo thing his newspapers do.

I say we all go big society on it and buy it all together, to at least prevent anyone else having it.

Are their rules about how many news channels are allowed to exist?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Rarity posted:

No, Charlie, lay off Thundercats!

...He's pretty much right :(

What is your avatar from?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Faithless posted:

True story - When I was a kid my family was on The Big Breakfast as the family of the week twice. During this period I apparently had a brawl with Peaches Geldoff. I wish I could remember it, I hope I punched her in the face.

Also Chris Evans covered my 6 year old self in a bag of flour. One day I will get vengeance.

If memory serves, they used to make out the family lived in the house for the week? Is that right? That they made that out, and also, did you live there or in a B&B?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

HERAK posted:

She had a child and 14 years to finish growing up.

And people to dress her for the TV.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I was watching it on red button last night around 11pm. Moyles seemed all right, but when he was playing the songs and talking off air, his mouth was going a mile a minute. Then again, how else could you do something like this without lots and lots of cocaine?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

cardedagain posted:

I'm surprised that one of the kids was sporting a Zoo York hoodie, amongst some other clothing choices. I'm surprised that they aren't radical enough that they don't denounce everyday items like clothes that might be made by gay friendly companies.

I did wonder that too. I thought they'd be very much 'indoors' and reject anything with a brand, especially clothing from New York companies (home of the jews!), but then they knew about pop music, and I realised I was mixing them up with some of the other doomsdayers Louis meets. These guys want to have their cake.

I'd like to see how the deserters feel about FAG TROOPS now they're out of the Phelps confines. I'd say less mental, but probably still homophobic.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Mickolution posted:

I love the wrestling

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Why does Big Brother bother people so much? It exists in its own time slot and magazines (Heat) and newspapers (Daily Star, The Sun - and if you're reading those and Big Brother content is what you find upsetting about them, then you are a oval office)

It's not like the sport, the comes on will nilly at all hours and removes things people watch.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Comedy Vehicle series 2, 4th May, 23:30, BBC 2

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

chazzared posted:

A bit late to the table on this, I know, but that guy from News of the World on Ten O'Clock Live is an unscrupulous oval office of the worst order

His appearance and attire (unwashed, unironed out of fashion suit that doesn't fit right) fit the stereotype well.

'It's like a girlfriend checking her boyfriend's phone!'

Yeah, guys, NOTW editors just wanted to see if Sienna Miller was cheating on them with the Sunday Times.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Oh god I've missed Adam and Joe so much. I just watched that Jools Holland episode that Adam was talking about and it was pretty hilarious.

Especially how you can still hear them playing when he goes over to introduce Elbow. I like to think they kept playing through the entire of Elbow's set, but they just turned the mics off.

I guess you're on about the jazz band? I was laughing at that on the tuesday show, and then again on the friday version, which I watched to see if they edited that bit differently. The strings people in Elbow were still laughing, it was great.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Mr Biffo did a Press Reveal drawing for me once as a way of cussing me. I think it was a man with a massive hand.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

A5H posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this on channel 4? Someone channeling the queen mother and talking about the menu at the wedding.

I watched about 20 minutes. It was hit and miss. It's not funny to see Mario and Brian from Big Brother embarrass themselves when they probably know it's a joke and do it anyway, because that's their job. On the other hand, seeing that twat Andrew Stone get his arse bothered was great. He knew as he was turning around that it was the wrong thing, because he is so so clever.

And the psychic channeling the Queen Mum, explaining how much she likes prawn cocktail!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

on the plus side, the Charles lookalike actually resembles who he's supposed to, right down to the gormless grin. And hopefully neither he nor the Queen get it on in the rest of the film

What? I was hoping they'd bang each other.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Cutting through the comedy jelly with the steel knife of drama, not wanting to make a mess, but having seen Edge of Darkness, I will be buying the DVD for everyone next Christmas.

It had shouting, Jack Wade and that amazing 80s tv crime music.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I think this was the first episode to capture the atmosphere and energy of his live shows. The crowd were giving him exactly what he wanted (mirth, confusion and despair)

I didn't come hear to listen to someone badmouthing receipts!

Do yourselves a favour and check him out live. I've been to 3 different ones, and there's no show like it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I've edited the original post with this helpful and informative list of things people have at some point watched.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And one of the Stark henchmen is Lily Allen's younger brother (the weed addicted you'll-never-amount-to-anything brother from the song, looks like she was wrong).

The bit that stunned me was the majordomo of the Stark household: Uncle Ginger from The Queen's Nose. Uncle loving Ginger.

While we're outing Game of Thrones actors, has anyone else noticed Bronn is played by (Robson &) Jerome? Amazing.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

LE0N posted:

At the end of the day this >>http://i.imgur.com/DW6TI.jpg<< was probably my higlight of bbc's glasto coverage.

Clicked expecting the Pikachu flag. Wasn't entirely disappointed.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

thehustler posted:

So I met Johnny Ball. Had a colleague at the university ask him some basic questions like "What has it been like being here?" and "are the kids enjoying it?" and "what advice do you have for any budding scientists here today".

Without fail, every answer segued into a rant about how he hates politicians, or the green lobby, and how he wished politics was out of science, etc. I can see his point, but he did come across as really ranty for no reason. He was a lovely man though, very approachable but bonkers.

How does one go about booking Johnny Ball for something? He sounds like he'd be a good fit for Skeptics in the Pub.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

As reality shows about business go, it's also a drat sight better than The Apprentice, which has become the new Big Brother in terms providing a show devoid of real content and consisting mainly of stupid challenges performed by a range of frequently cartoonish stereotypes that wrestling fans would call obvious "faces and heels".

Yeah, last night it seemed to be setting up Natasha for a heel turn to get back at those cookie-cutting cookie-cutter babyfaces for excluding her slightly.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I thought Stolen was not too bad, and was taken in by what I considered to be 'several true stories' until a small East European lad wandering around London got stabbed randomly by a smaller child, and then bled to death in the middle of the floor in a busy coach station as people walk by, unbothered. A scene taking in what people imagine happens on a constant basis in big cities made me question what else was total bullshit.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Bioalchemist posted:

I really wanted to like it, but the stabbing was a real jump the shark moment and I was already a bit bored by then.

I'd already overlooked the gangster able to locate the exact foster home Rosemary was staying in the very afternoon she got into the country, yet had to pay another girl staying there for the sparsest information of all time. At that point I figured the baddies had some sort of method for extraction, and maybe someone working for the police giving them tips.

In the child-slavers eyes, did this all go to plan? The copper got a call saying Rosemary 'had been told exactly how to behave and what to say'. She was meant to get herself picked up? I thought the whole point of the ginger kid in the beginning, and also in his comical death, was that kids could wander round and no one would pay any attention to them whatsoever.

Why would they want the child making itself known in the first place? Surely giving the child instructions to meet a cut-out with a sign marked 'Rosemary' at the exit gate would not alert any police to the girl's presence in the country? I mean, she came in legally.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

goatface posted:

Most of my student landlords (I've had 6 in the last 7 years) have been pretty decent. A couple have been feckless, moronic and useless, but I don't think I'd describe them as malicious. I know people with stories though.

People who become landlords generally see it as a surefire way of making money for little to no effort. They general take what money they have, buy a property for that exact amount, stick an extra £100-£200 on top of the mortgage payments each month and charge that as rent.

Best case scenario, someone moves in straight away, the rent gets paid, they're happy. Then the boiler breaks and the landlord hasn't got the money to cover it and it all goes wrong.

Worst case scenario, the property is vacant for a couple of months, the landlord gets a tenant, but falls behind on the mortgage. A few months into the tenancy the bank forecloses on the property and the tenants are chucked out.

But the landlord on Dispatches was heading a proper company, with some mad turnover (he had a mansion!). Greed and contempt were evident throughout everything. Landlords across the board generally dissolve into uncaring money-grubbing arseholes, never able to appreciate that the house they are letting might technically be theirs in terms of ownership, but to the tenants it is their home

By the way I work for a landlord company, so I see this behaviour bursting through every day. You just have to hope people work for your landlord that have an ounce of compassion, and that the landlord/company has the money to set things right.

Cerv posted:

Can people not just use the actor's name? Or the characters name?
Because not everyone watches your nerd poo poo you know. And it's not helpful when google returns pages of apparently irrelevant spergapedia stuff.

He used the name Robb Stark not only as an identifier for people who know who Robb Stark is, but also as that's the only name he has for the guy, and as well as that, the fact this guy is Robb Stark is what makes him want to watch and like it in the first place.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

J33uk posted:

It's actually pretty reasonable and fair, the teachers come out in a good light with the exception of one incident involving the apparently the great idea of putting a disruptive student next to successful one. Guess how well that worked. I suppose the biggest shock was seeing how much had changed since my days in school only 15 years ago.

It was like that at my primary 17 years ago. Year after year they'd sit me next to some disruptive oval office.

FractionMan posted:

Penn & Teller's Fool Us was pretty good this week, a good mix of excellent illusions, even those that didn't fool were very enjoyable viewing. No clue how the trick with the Frenchmen's box worked and I normally have at least a rudimentary idea on how most tricks could be done.

There's a few things to look out for in a magic trick. There's a reason everything is on the stage. Some are just for misdirection, the rest are important components, and will often be shown to be mere props. They played around the the lampost for a bit, so you accept it has a reason for being there.

I had two ideas:

1. She wrapped her legs around the lamp post like a stripper/gymnast, and then moved her torso around.

2. She had a mini-harness on, and hooked herself to the lamppost as and when she needed to.

They showed that pressing the sides of the box would make it stretch like a trampoline, which means there was probably a platform inside to stand on, placed on a thick metal frame.

It can't really be anything else.

Those other guys, they must've lied about switching the deck. I thought they were using body language to convey the correct answer, but Penn caught them switching, even though they denied it. Ross had to pull the cards out one at a time from the top, rather than randomly. Swiping half the cards towards the end is a contrived measure to convince the audience that there can't be a set order, because he took an untold amount of cards away, although if that were the case, they would've had Ross shuffle the deck after every turn, or pull cards out randomly.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

LE0N posted:

Caught some parents being shown 2girls1cup on some sex show and one of the mothers cried and had to leave the room because it was "all so degrading" while her husband said "oh its terrible...yeah" with a look on his face to say "i've seen much worse, this doenst even compare :smug:"

It was all a bit bizarre.

This isn't the first time they've done this. Another group of parents left thinking their 14 year old just can't wait to shitfist a random stranger.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Daedo posted:

I really don't know how those two Swedish guys at the end fooled Penn And Teller. At first I thought that switch was sooooo obvious looking and crappy but it turns out that was a misdirect! If there was no card switching involved, then I'm pretty stumped.

I don't buy it. You wouldn't take it out of his mouth with tongs and then hold it up later on if the exact card was in his mouth. Him spewing it out, then manipulating it open with his tongue to reveal the card would be a much better finish. Initially I thought they card really was in his mouth, too, shoved in there when he got slapped.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

reality_groove posted:

There was a debate when it came out, there's probably more information in the Let's Watch Awesome Documentaries thread. I can totally understand how people think it was faked although I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of people think they only started filming halfway through their story, and filled in the rest afterwards. It's a good enough conspiracy. I know we're told they're film students, which you're led to believe is their excuse for filming every minor uninteresting facet of each others' lives, but they'd be doing that all day long. Do they film each other talking to real life girls too? I think filming those bits as a video blog would've worked better and made more sense. "Hey Abby, this is me opening your latest painting, so you can see my honest reaction!"

I rewatched the start of it last night, and I was amazed at how tense it was. Hovering over pictures of people until their name appears felt really cold, like everyone involved was going to turn up dead.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Catfish dudes, I recommend Capturing The Friedmans. It's a documentary made by the men who produced Catfish, except there's no fakery, just an expertly put together documentary about a man who bought some child porn from a foreign website that will leave your jaw hanging.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Also, there's something about Evan Davies' pointless interjections to tell us about something we've already seen or ask us about something which has yet to happen (i.e. "The mood in the Den has soured considerably with the revelation that Boris McFuckwit has no idea how much money his company has lost or even what he makes or sells or where he is or how he got there. Will Scary Grandma counter Easily Offended Scotsman's offer of FIVE POUNDS for an 80% stake of Willy's Willy Warmers Inc...?") which just pisses me off so much. I know what just happened, I saw it, it was on the telly just this very second! And I expect we'd find out what's going to happen if you'd just shut the gently caress up already!

First time I saw Dragon's Den, I thought it was some sort of best of edition. Couldn't work out what the hell was going on with the mid-scene re-caps.

thehustler posted:

I consider myself an educated man. Or rather, a cultural snob when it comes to entertainment. I watch Lee and Herring, I'm a little bit gay for Robin Ince, I have old Iannucci radio shows on my phone, I've seen Simon Munnery doing League Against Tedium, and I've watched every "cult" show that none of my friends know about under the sun.

And do you know what? I loving love Friends. I find it cleverer than people think, there are some glorious one-liners in it.

I've been leaving it on for a few months in the 8-9pm slot when nothing is ever on and I've found out a few things.

1. Sometimes it's very funny and clever.

2. Ross is hilarious. David Schwimmer is a brilliant comedy actor.

3. Chandler isn't funny in the context of the show. None of his so called F*R*I*E*N*D*S ever laugh at his jokes. They tolerate him, which I suppose only makes sense given that they're still friends with

4. Phoebe, who is a horrible, selfish person. The reveal that she once mugged Ross isn't that shocking, and entirely in keeping with her character.

5. Joey has Homer Simpson syndrome, getting stupider as the show develops. He could function as human early on, but was only interested in eating and loving, sod everyone else. Later he became a friendly man child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

henpod posted:

Yeah if I will say something for Friends, Ross is just masterful. Out of all of them, his character easily has the most depth and Schwimmer just sells the gently caress out of him.

I also only manage to watch most of each Frasier episode in the mornings ( I stay to the end if I want to hustle to work).

That's another thing I forgot about Joey - I'm sure he was a majority favourite but how they ever thought Matt LeBlanc could carry a show with that character is beyond me. There's a reason NBC had Frasier go out on his own, rather than Sam or Woody, and in that vein, Ross would've been the best choice for the spin-off. He can go from a Niles Crane uptight dick to a George Costanza level freaker-out and it's always BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. When Schwimmer was a guest in the first episode of Come Fly With Me it was striking how good his delivery was. I wish he'd come back full time to a sitcom.

I've got a show they can have, please forward it all TV executives. It's called Glen Garry Ben Ross. Ross Geller goes to work in an estate agents with his homosexual son Ben and 2 men (named Glen and Garry respectively)

As you can see it writes itself