Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Akuma posted:

I was fairly excited for This Is England 86 until they started showing actual bits from the show, at which point I realised it's probably going to be Shameless: 1986 and lost all interest in it.

This:

quote:

Meadows has said on his official site that what happens will change Lol forever and that it includes some of the most challenging scenes of his career.

makes me think it won't be a wacky Shameless-alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Adrianics posted:

I wish some of our channels could be more up front about what American programmes they're showing - In particular I want to know when Sky One (they have exclusive rights to HBO programming, right?) is going to show Boardwalk Empire.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they do the same thing with Boardwalk Empire as they did with The Pacific and show it on Sky Movies.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jimmy Carr?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any opinions on Him and Her? Got a very busy week ahead and don't want to waste time watching poo poo when I'm already struggling to fit in new SoA and Terriers.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 11, 2010

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Actually really enjoyed Him & Her. Nice way to pass half an hour and certainly a cut above most BBC 3 dreck.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It was pretty loving big at the time, especially with the 14-16 age group. Some girls in my class were obsessed with it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't recall seeing any Agrophobic dude but an unfunny ginger looms large in my mind so I guess I caught the series on its last legs.

It sounds pretty appealing before it went bad, might rewatch it for proper judgement.

It doesn't really go bad as such, as there's only two six-episode series, but it is very 90's and hasn't really aged well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I enjoyed The Inbetweeners well enough, but I hope every episode doesn't end in the most humiliating way possible. Peep Show went through a series or or two where the worst thing that could possibly happen did happen at the end of every single episode, and it was always better when these moments were balanced by some happiness and small victories.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I still like the Charlie Brooker post-coital Guitar Hero story.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

lewi posted:

Monday has great tv.
University Challenge
Only Connect
Spooks
Inbetweeners

all back to back.

Worth tuning into Him and Her on BBC3 after Inbetweeners, too.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Found Ask Rhod Gilbert pretty funny, despite the whole premise being pretty much pointless. That, Him and Her and Inbetweeners made for good comedy telly during dinner tonight, although I agree about the negative things that have been said about Inbetweeners. Him and Her is really getting into its stride.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

What do you guys reckon to Him & Her on BBC3?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00twwyj/Him_and_Her_The_Fancy_Dress_Party/

I really like it. Funny and the girl who plays Rebecca is super hot.

I've been mentioning it in here after every episode, but it seems like either no one's watching it or no one likes it.

I love it. Well written, realistic, understated and genuinely funny. It's better than Inbetweeners, and I'm enjoying that well enough.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Al2001 posted:

Tried to watch that Him and Her thing but couldn't really do it. My friends are alot more entertaining than that when drunk. Is it meant to be a comedy or a drama or both? All the characters seemed really dull and self-absorbed.

This week's was the last episode (I think), so it's a bad point to start watching really, since they've spent the whole series building the characters up and then in this one they're all really drunk.

The sister is the best character. You know I don't like it when you make fun of my visitations!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A Humble Narcissist posted:

Yeah, you're missing out on the most pretentious TV program I have ever seen.

Isn't that the whole point?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Frankie Boyle was great on Mock the Week because he pipped up with his offensive one-liners at the right time. As a stand-up, he's terrible.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm enjoying it more than Dads Army, which is a classic. They seem very accurate about the time the tv program is set in (mid fifties).

Never heard of it, but seeing as my grandfather is the biggest Dad's Army fan in the world and also served in the RAF for national service in the 50's, I'm gonaa buy him the boxset for xmas right now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I had no idea Him off of This Life and Teachers was the main character in The Walking Dead.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bloodbath posted:

"This video contains content from Fosters, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." :(

I'm in Australia. Thanks Fosters.

Does anyone in Australia actually drink Fosters?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

lynch_69 posted:

I can truthfully say I have never sat through a complete episode of Friends or Sienfeld in my life. It becomes tedious and pointless to sit through something that has obviously been written by a group of writers to be inoffensive and to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible.

Seinfeld is better than the vast majority of British sitcoms.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sorry I brought up Seinfeld back there I guess, but it sounds like out of those people trashing it, nobody has actually watched it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

See, this sounds exactly like "Always Sunny" which I love, but I've tried watching the first few eps of Seinfeld and I didn't laugh at all

Always Sunny is basically Seinfeld taken to the extreme. And like most American sitcoms, you have to watch a fair few episodes to get into it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Quote/edit error.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Urgh

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I know this isn't the 'do you know what this show was' thread, but I was reading China Mieville's Kraken and was reminded about an urban fantasy on children's TV from the late 80's/early 90's that I think was on ITV. It featured a magical underground/hidden London that was split into four(?) kingdoms, one of which was some sort of 'rubbish' kingdom based in the sewers and that. It may also have featured personifications of London boroughs and/or landmarks. Very Neverwhere-esque. Any ideas?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Archer's Goon

Thank you. Had a lot of things confused, but that's the one alright.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Roidweiser posted:

Stephen Fry was a guest team captain once... He looked rather out of place, but it was a very good show, though if he was on all the time it may have started to grate (or just become increasingly fantastic).

I think he's quite into his music though. I remember him tweeting about Explosions in the sky once.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really enjoyed that Buzzcocks. It's been quite a good series.

Phill Jupitus was working behind the counter at a record shop in Cardiff this week for some reason.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I could have sworn I'd heard there was going to be a Thick of It special airing at the time of the election, but obviously that didn't happen.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Catching up on the weekend's telly in a post-ATP haze. Is it wrong that Take me out is first on the list?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

God, ITV player is pretty much unwatchable.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Urgh, Big Fat Quiz has become pretty much the only thing I make time to watch over xmas, but that looks terrible.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Zorba the Greek posted:

Whats the line up for it?

See picture above.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Urgh, the telly that I saw during the family get together evening all looked universally terrible. Doesn't help that S4C was on half the time, but I don't think it made that much difference. I'm off to watch last week's Friday Night Lights on my laptop.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Film 4

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Peep shows were good as well, but yeah. Moving the great big quiz to next week didn't help, even though it should be awful given the guests.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's loving terrible. The first series was OK*, but it's unwatchable now.

*May or may not have had something to do with Richard Herring being a writer.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Reminder that just as things as getting back to normal after all that xmas poo poo, the big fat quiz of the year is on tonight.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This isn't very good.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think like most popular sitcoms, you need to view Friends as a product of its time. I know I loved the poo poo out of it when I was 15 and C4 were showing the first couple of seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

well, it's not like they haven't done advertising before. They were the PC/Mac guys in the UK.

Which had pretty much the opposite effect that Apple intended if you ask me.