Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The first part of This is England '86 was brilliant. Funny and touching at the same time.

Who's the guy who played the bully ordering Shaun to insult that girl? Because I thought he was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

That episode of This is England '86 was really loving good, though I have a good dozen or so people on my Facebook news feed saying they're not watching it anymore because of the rape scene

Not sure why i'm spoilering that, seeing as it's aired, best to be on the safe side though.

Oh and The Inbetweeners was great as usual, I agree with the arm flailing going a bit too far, but the first time I whiteied after *eating* too much weed I honestly thought I was going to die as well.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 22, 2010

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oi, there's nothing wrong with Peep Show series 4. Sure it got a bit silly at times, but it is a sitcom. Even though The Inbetweeners strikes a chord with those of us who remember being a bit like that at school, it's not meant to be entirely realistic.

And I absolutely wet myself at Jay crashing the bike.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Perfect ending (well okay, not perfect, but you know what I mean) ending to This is England '86.

I love it when characters get some sort of redemption, and Combo cradling Lol and repeating 'let me do this one good thing' nearly made me choke up.

You can't half tell which two episodes were directed by Shane Meadows though, Jesus Christ.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ok, which goon was it on The Secret Millionaire last night?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmYOmTG3B0

Somewhat low-key new Alan Partridge trailer. Not much, just some clips set to mournful music, but guess who co-stars?

TIM KEY :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bishy posted:

I can't watch Top Gear these days. It's so contrived and fake.

It's been contrived and fake for the last 5 series. Still funny, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I've only just gotten round to watching Misfits on 4oD.

Holy poo poo, is all I can say. One of the best programmes i've seen in YEARS.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Where are you upto?

Episode 4 of the second series.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm going to say this is the first time I'm just absolutely not excited.

Once you've had Bob Mortimer on, you can't possibly get better.

That said, I quite enjoyed it, bit weird seeing Paul Sinha taking up Noel Fielding/Phil Wang's "strange" outfit shtick, also he's about as charismatic as he is on The Chase (not very.)

Joe Thomas is pretty much what I expected, Iain Stirling's rant about ventroliqism was funny and i'm strangely attracted to Lou Sanders.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 11, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I really liked the hide and seek one.
Iain comes across as a bit of a hyper competitive prick, but then again so did Tim Key (because he is hyper competitive) so I dunno!

Tim Key's hyper-competitiveness was funny because he tried to bend the rules or blatantly cheat as often as he could - when you know the backstory between him and Alex Horne regarding the Perrier award this is even funnier. Also he was part of the original Edinburgh Fringe Taskmaster.

The best thing about Taskmaster though is that every single series has had a surprise standout contestant. I knew Bob Mortimer would be great in S5, I had no idea Sally Philips would be as hilarious as she was.

I get the feeling that Lou Sanders is going to be this series' Sally Philips.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point Lou wants to shack up with Greg. I kind of feel that this series is the opposite of S6; that had some great tasks let down by the studio side where the contestants didn't really mesh, whereas this series is being elevated by the studio stuff. I'm rooting for Joe to win; I enjoy his permanent state of confusion.

Well, she does like older men.

I've enjoyed every single series of Taskmaster, wasn't overly fussed on this series' lineup apart from Lou Sanders and Joe Thomas but it's gotten better with each episode and i'm now rooting for Joe to win as he's got this permanently confused/depressed/disappointed with himself every episode thing going on.

It's tough to watch Paul Sinha being utterly poo poo at almost every task knowing he's been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Okay so this series of Taskmaster has been pretty hit and miss but the final episode, my god.

Laughed so hard at the blindfold disability scooter task that it hurt.

Series 9 lineup is decent, Jo Brand will be hilarious, Ed Gamble is really funny and Katy Wix should be great as she's dizzy as gently caress (her character in Not Going Out was essentially an extension of her real life personality.)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Incredible Games! With the dark Knight that dropped you into what looked like a pile of dirty laundry.

https://youtu.be/Ku_xUzHAq98

I'm fairly certain I asked the same thing in this thread like 5 years ago. Every part of that realisation gives me the heebie jeebies

Nothing will ever top Knightmare, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I finally had a chance to watch Killing Eve, and the first series got me hooked. The Russian prison was laughably un-Russian, but at least they had some people who can actually speak the language, which is more than what can be said of many other shows. The strength of the show is obviously in writing, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is consistently fantastic at that. Will have to watch series two before the third one starts.

Just a warning, PWB had no involvement in the writing of series 2, and it shows.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm a little behind the times, but today is the day I start watching GBBO.

I stopped watching when it went to Channel 4, but you're in for a fun time.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just watch series 5. Bob Mortimer is quite possibly the best contestant in Taskmaster history. The show was designed for someone with his brain.

Also Sally Phillips was superb, too.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I'd say Sally Philips and Richard Osman have been my favourite two.

But if you're going to stop watching because of bad politics (like Baddiel in blackface) you really can't watch ANY series since all these comedians are either horrible centrists or else have some bizzare thing going on.

I can't stand David Baddiel but i'll happily watch Series 9 because a) I love Jo Brand and b) Even Baddiel is going to be funny at some point.

That's just the way the show works, everyone gets a chance to be funny. I couldn't stand Joe Lycett before I watched him on Taskmaster, ended up really liking him.

Same went for Al Murray.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Whoever said writing in Killing Eve got worse in series 2 was very much right. By episode 5 it goes completely off the rails, and proceeds to cartoonishly crash through various sheds and chicken coops. Still, intrigued to see in what direction the new writer plans to take the show, though.

I believe that was me, hopefully PWB is more involved in the writing of series 3.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I watched it last year because my sister-in-law's best friend was on it, as usual it starts off quite decent and there's a fair bit of competition between the two teams each week but then towards the end it's ruined by teammates backstabbing each other and deliberately sabotaging their own tasks.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

So for the first time since it began I've not been watching Taskmaster religiously and I've finally caught up.

It's not as good this series. Baddiel is annoying unless he's in a team task with Jo Brand, Rose Mattafeo is just kinda there, Katy Wix seems to be holding back a lot (and gently caress replacing her with Katherine Ryan for that one episode - seriously Avalon, inviting the most irritating contestant in TM history back, really?) and as much I hate to say it regarding the tasks themselves, they seem to be running out of ideas.

I'll keep watching it though because it's still better than every other panel show that isn't Would I Lie to you.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

I'd no idea what you meant so I goggled this and literally laughed out loud when I looked at their site.
It explains so much, gently caress.

If anyone hasn't, then have a look at their roster. It all becomes so clear.

https://offthekerb.com/artists/

Just like Taskmaster mainly features comedians signed to Avalon.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

I think Alex Horne needs a vacation for a few months to recharge his task creating brain.

Agreed. Definitely feels like the tasks from this series are a lot more basic. I particularly hated the "Look at the objects in this room, go to the caravan, list the objects in the room" task as it was just so unimaginative.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm a lot happier with Channel 4 getting Taskmaster than BBC1 getting their hands on it.

Plus (and this is going to divide a lot of people) I may finally get to see Jimmy Carr on Taskmaster. Which let's face it, would be brilliant.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think that could have happened on Dave, he's done work on it before and Taskmaster is/was their biggest original show.

As far as i'm aware he did two episodes of Alan Davies: As yet Untitled but nothing else for Dave. He's probably Channel 4's biggest name, i'm sure they would definitely want him on their sparkly new late night show.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fatty posted:

He's been on at least a couple of episodes of Dave Gormans new thing.

Oh yeah, haven't got around to watching that yet. Heard negative things though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I once posted on Digital Spy about the fact that I paid for Virgin Media for one room, but found if I hooked up a spare cable box up to the output in my bedroom I got the regular Freeview channels just with a card error message I had to ‘ok’ out of whenever I changed channel.

The general opinion was of disgust and how I should be ashamed for ripping off services.

I got permabanned from Digital Spy, probably my proudest achievement on the Internet.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

graventy posted:

Maybe the requirements are different in the UK but librarian is an advanced degree in the states, so I kind of doubt she is even that.

You generally need to have some sort of higher-level qualification to work in a library, or at least you used to.

And she's been in the music industry since she was 4 years old? Hahaha the bullshit some of the Apprentice candidates come out with is hilarious.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

A Christmas Carol looks like it's going to be quite good, starting tonight on BBC1.

It already aired on FX in the USA and got a pretty good reception.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Watched the first episode of Christmas Carol, it was decent enough that I’ll watch the next.

Basically this. A lot darker than I was expecting, and a bit slow. Andy Serkis was great, as always.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Derek Acorah has died.

Hurrah!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Wife and I marathon-ed the whole second series of Sex Education last night.

Even better than the first series. More please!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Saw that the guy in the shadow of the guy in the shadow of Morse was scheduled to perform at a venue I've been to in Brighton for evens, so figured I'd shoot them an email asking them to cancel, lest I then push the event organisers to go elsewhere. Will see what response I get and maybe urge others to write too. The annual events I've been to have been packed solid so hopefully call leverage things a bit.

This sounds like a really dickish thing to do.

Why not go all out and send an angry letter to your local newspaper? You might even get your picture published if you sensationalise it enough. Better practice that Angry Daily Mail face!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

Lawrence fox is a prick

Even so, no need to try to ruin other people's night who already have tickets, may have babysitters planned or hotels booked etc.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I am trying to remove the worst part of their evening. I also doubt anyone is travelling for it.

Edit; I just realised this is the wrong thread. But not so bewildering as if I'd posted it to the MTG thread or something.

Without being funny, how do you know? Quite ironic that you're trying to censor someone's evening based on what you think. Almost a bit of a fascist thing to do....

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strawman posted:

You don't understand what censorship is.

OP said he's trying to "remove the worst part of their evening" which would suggest there are other acts as well. How is that not censorship?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

marktheando posted:

Just please stop with the 'huh maybe the anti-racists are the real fascists all along, really makes you think' hot takes, please I'm begging you. Trying to make this oval office lose a gig might or might not be a good idea or might or might not be censorship but it's not loving fascism.

Okay calling it fascism might have been a bit stupid of me but even so, you've got to see the hypocrisy here in what the OP is doing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I thought it wasn't as good as the first series but I still really enjoyed it

The setting is so weird, the school seems ripped straight out of an American teen movie but is also extremely British

It's also quite clearly set in the present day but the aesthetic is anything from the late 70s to the late 90s. The Groff house looks like the house I grew up in as a kid.

The End of The F***ing World was the same, it seems to be quite a popular stylistic choice these days.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Can someone summarise why Sex Education is good, please? The trailers make it look absolutely excruciating, but everyone seems to love it.

It's really funny, has a great soundtrack, the acting is believable and it's also pretty heartwarming in places, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Yeah the trailers made Sex Education look really bad but I watched the first season cause this thread was talking about it and it's good. Same thing with The End of the loving World. I think maybe Netflix trailers for these kind of shows just always make them look bad?

I put off watching TEOTFW for ages because I loved the comic book and hated the trailer.