Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm loving sick of that kinda comment.

There is AWESOME music everywhere - you just have to make a loving effort to look for it instead of waiting for it to be spoonfed to you.

It was the same 40 years ago, and it's the same now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Backstory please.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Uncertain Frog posted:

and also I've never seen Laura Solon before but she was adorable :allears:

Pippa, the woman in the peach dress :love:

Looked good on her.

Edit: How goony. Ugh.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 17, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The reason that comedy and satire is more left wingers taking the piss out of right wingers is because they do more stupid poo poo, it seems. They're worth taking the piss out of. And they get so uptight about it that it's fun to do.

Also, "left wing bias" seems to be code for "doing your job properly" - especially when used as a criticism against news organisations.

Getting too close to something people don't want you to know? You're left wing biased!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

haha, does EVERYONE call him "the actor Kevin Eldon"? did that start with Lee and Herring or is it older than that?

As far as I can remember it started on TMWRNJ, yes, but it may have been circulating before that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jo Whiley moving to Radio 2 is about a billion years overdue. She was getting embarassing, trying to come across as the voice of da yoof.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

How TV Ruined Your Life was excellent last night. My favourite bit from Screenwipe maxed out to 30 minutes of awesome social commentary. Sadly lacking the brilliant "self es-steam engine" line, though. But yeah, easily the best so far.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Fallon posted:

Last night's TV Ruined . .. was identical to Brooker's piece from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw

I already said that, but you included a link I guess :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jekub posted:

A while back I linked a short programme by Tom Wriggleworth on radio 4 regarding his experience with Virgin rail, I seem to remember a few people liked it. Anyway, it obviously went down well as he's got a series now, it's much the same sort of content but dealing with different organisations each show. it's on the second episode (sorry, forgot to link it last week) which is about power suppliers. Worth a listen in you have 30 minutes spare.

Tom Wrigglesworth's Open Letters

I remember this. It was great. Thanks for the link.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

Someone needs to talk bankers into the ground until no one cares anymore because no one can do much about it but the government, and politicians are only concerned with things that are old and retarded.

The problem is basic human greed. We're all guilty of it, we're all selfish.

So, governments and bankers and lobbyists and think-tanks are all in it for each other, trading favours and poo poo behind closed doors with people in the same social groups as them, without any scrutiny (although this started to change with FOIA laws). We can't really do anything about it other than educate people into making better decisions when they vote, and spreading the news about what goes on. And even then, whoever gets in will probably get drunk on power.

Luckily in this day and age with so many methods of communication, when something does happen, people find out about it. It's becoming harder and harder to get away with poo poo.

Edit: And I meant to say, 10Oclock Live was amazing this week. I really think they've got it nailed now. Listen to Mitchell was amazing, as was his interview with Simon Hughes. Who, by the way, did very very well under a lot of pressure to explain himself as a senior Lib Dem, and I think that he did a pretty decent job. Too many people criticise them without really understanding how things actually work (which is irritating, to say the least). I firmly believe that without them we'd be much worse off, but people don't seem to realise how coalitions work and what compromise is.

And was David's round-table discussion longer this week? And the interview, come to think about it. I realise things are timed in the show, but I wonder if somebody was telling him in his ear that he had more time. He really was on fire.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 12, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

spincube posted:

I must admit, I'd happily watch an hour's worth of Mitchell and Brooker's 'Everything Is poo poo and This Is Why'.

Make this, Zeppotron!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Apparently, Great Unanswered Questions, a hidden gem from BBC Norn Iron, is back. Two episodes on iPlayer.

I can't understand why they don't show this on the rest of the network. It's ace.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Addison for sure.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also Great Unanswered Questions has already had one TV series if you can find it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Satire is usually left wing because of the type of people that make it and consume it. Arty, clever, witty people. When right wingers try it, its too forced. See: The half hour news hour on Fox news.

I do realise this is HEAVILY generalising, but meh. Look around you.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Great unanswered questions episode 3 is on iPlayer. It's the best one ever. Phil jupitus is the guest.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I love NewsCorp's dodge. They haven't really gotten rid of Sky News at all. It is, at best, a nice fiddle to appease everybody.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Don't forget Adam Boulton too. He's a massive bellend.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Wo-Gan had me absolutely spluttering with laughter (who did the voice, by the way? Kind of sounded like Rob Brydon's impression), and it was great to see Brooker tackle the news again. Is that the last one?

As far as I could tell, the voice of Wo-Gan was done by Peter Serafinowicz. He's known for doing a VERY good impression of him, and has done it on panel shows and the like.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Great episode of 10 o clock live. Also, that Network Rail advert? Genius. That's the kind of creativity you just don't get in advertising in other countries.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Brian Cox walking dramatically away from an explosion made me laugh for about a minute straight.

I love that man :allears:

It reminded me of something from Breaking Bad.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

"I've been doing it every week"???

(Lauren Laverne right at the start of 10 O'Clock live)

Yeah, very weird, I think they started a little late and Lauren missed the cue.

Looks like somebody needs to learn to be "up on 3" (i just watched that episode of screenwipe with presenter training).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

I missed the name of the guy on David's left but he is brilliant :allears:

He was funny but massively oversimplified the argument.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

goatface posted:

Fold BBC 4 back into 2, ditch BBC 3, test new comedy on late evening 1&2, produce less bullshit that should be on ITV 4, leave repeats to Dave and its ilk.

SAVINGS.
This really is the best idea. Just because you CAN open a shitload of new services, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Now fix the radio networks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but it's relevant to the early Screenwipe talk.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zthemusic

It has all the 'wipes,

That YouTube channel is actually IN an episode of screenwipe too, in perhaps the most meta thing ever.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

le chat posted:

ah, another week, another anti-war campaigner kin calls an idiot. Did you cheer as they announced we were going to Libya during last weeks show, like the audience? It just seems the idea that people don't like war offends you

Congratulations on spectacularly missing the point.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Did none of you see the Campus pilot? It was ok. Bit silly. Sillier than Green Wing anyway. I'll give it another go when its on.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I was talking to Charlie Brooker on twitter and he pointed me towards this page.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=adam%20curtis

All of Adam Curtis' docs.

Holy poo poo :fap:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I wanted to see that thread so please do post :)

And yay for Comedy Vehicle, why so loving late though?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Best review of 2012 from the guardian I think said its obviously not very biting satire because seb coe wanted to be in it, and I don't recall politicians lining up to be in the thick of it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

"Because I'm organising the loving Olympic Games."

Twenty Twelve has been patchy as gently caress, but Hugh Bonneville nailed that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thank you, BBC2, for showing me what Chris O'Dowd's balls, arse, and cock look like.

I am never watching The IT Crowd again.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

:golfclap:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I think I'm in love with Joy from Drop the Dead Donkey.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

netally posted:

I don't get why people watch stand up on TV. I love seeing a good comic live, but so much of the experience depends on the atmosphere and the audience. Maybe my attention span is ridiculously low.

For this reason, even though I like Ross noble, his stand up dvds are hard to watch. You need to be there to see why he's gone off on a mad tangent.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

spe posted:

Thick Of It defos this year? Watching In The Loop again and I need more.

Apparently. It's way later than it was supposed to be. Election special, hopefully.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Brainwrong posted:

Smug, Tory and a oval office. But I thought she was hot and I'd let her come first past my post any day

:golfclap:

Her No2AV schtick was incredibly annoying and I can't believe nobody picked her up on it/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Kin posted:

Yes because both Noel Edmonds and Jim Davidson and their shows were more entertaining than Sharron Osborne, Simon Cowel and the rest of these pathetic "judges" and D list celebrities that fill up the saturday night screens.

Saturday night is basically quiz shows that take things far too seriously (hamfistedly clinging onto that lovely tension factor introduced by Who Wants to be a Millionaire) and crappy judge panel shows full of their own trite, countless issues; the biggest one of all being them overinflating their own loving importance.

Shows of the past were just that, shows, light entertainment, something that knew it was a saturday night show and was mostly just a bit of fun. Now, it's something else entirely: it's serious, it's edgy, it has "purpose". gently caress that poo poo.

This is a perfect post that anybody between the ages of about 25-40 could agree with. Things were so much more fun then, lighthearted entertainment to watch with the family. These days it's all too engineered, and the celebrity culture has ruined everything, with its aspirations and fakeness.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ScipioAfro posted:

Who want to be a millionaire was the first time I remember this, (i'm 21, so i guess there might be an obvious first show that did this for older people), but I swear I remember a really knowing 'ohoh look how silly it is to stretch out the answer like this' that the show has. The loving ridiculousness of it seems to go over a lot of people's heads these days.

Ever see the footage of WWTBAM without the tension-building music? Nothing like the actual show, it was some electronic thing instead on the pilot. I think it was on some documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

and they've been a duo ever since the birth of channel 4.

Er? What?