Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Continuing to sell a product that you know harms your customers for the sake of profit is gently caress You (your health) Got Mine (my money). Let the health services and everyone else pick up the bill because i've made mine.

The guy's not selling anything illegal or inherently terrible for you if eaten in moderation (as far as I know - I haven't watched the show and, as such, don't know if he's not like... cutting it with rat poison or anything but I'm firmly in JAFO territory) and it's entirely down to the user what they want to do with it. Should Talisker stop selling whiskey because of liver failure? Should Evian stop selling bottled water because if you down 8 litres of that stuff in one sitting you'll probably die of water intoxication? Should shops refuse to carry Sunny Delight because you'll turn yourself into the loving tango man if you nosh down a gallon of it in a day?

It's obvious that eating a XL King Meal from burger king every other day is gonna gently caress you up big time. It is not like healthy eating information is in short supply and it's not like a pound of beef slathered in mayo and cheese being bad for you is going to come as a big loving surprise.

That's what capitalism and freedom-of-choice taste like: Salad, chicken breast and the occasional burger.

That being said, Kubrik had to put a lock on Brando's fridge. Maybe Jamie could give that another whack?

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Nobody has a right to sell anything unless the consumer is in full knowledge of the impact of his choice. Since we lack an effective education system that provides all adults and children from birth with the knowledge required to navigate their lives as consumers, there should be an onus on those with that knowledge (the provider) to assess the risks of their produce, preferably with government intervention through legislation to protect the consumer.

Capitalism and freedom of choice taste of 20% unemployment, skyhigh debt, toffs in power, and a freedom to choose from six different types of similar beans.

Also, we are all capable of arguing into logical absurdities being progeny of the country that invented Question Time, so don't do that.

We lack an education system that will tell zygotic humans that they're going to have to make purchasing decisions later on in their existences, you are correct. That is where parents (hopefully) come in to the equation. Until such a time as a person is capable of making the decision their parents (not the government) should make decisions for them or nudge them in the 'right' direction.

The provider has been handing out knowledge like it was going out of style. If you type Healthy Eating into google you get (in the first 10 results) 10 results on healthy eating guides, guidelines on what's good for you, bad for you and indifferent towards your dietary requirements. Five of those sites are operated by the government. None of them (weirdly) are operated by McDonalds but it's not like there's a massive information shortfall out there and people are being intentionally kept in the dark by evil corporations.

It's up to the people to make their choices. Most of the people I know are fairly well informed on the matter. They know that a 4 litre bottle of cider, a huge loving fish supper every night and having the only exercise they take be waddling over to the refrigerator is, you know, a pretty solid way to get yourself a stroke by the time you're 35. This is not information that's being hidden from them in the hope that they become Wall-E like amorphous masses of flesh and gastric bands.

On the other hand I just noticed you put two spaces in after your full stops. That is true gentlemanly class.

edit - Just so it's clear, I kind of agree with you. The dude was basically facilitating a heart attack. He shouldn't take that poo poo off his menu but he should probably say 'uhh... are you sure?'

Then again if he did that he would get sued for totally meaning "FAT FAT FAT FATTY FAT FAT FATTERSON"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

So not at all dated at all really now.

Also, end of Night Shift: :psyboom:

Amazingly no. Yes, (Prime) Minister is really, really frighteningly close to the world of the Civil Service. Goatfaces rather crude surmation of the series (cunts, useless etc) rather misses the point that it's less about the tories/labour divide, more about the civil service and how the real power rests with them.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You know it's probably going to be something really stupid right? Like a formula for dandruff shampoo.

I love the idea of a Dandruff Shampoo. not like... anti-dandruff. One that actually encourages it. For some reason it just seems to fit :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Metrication posted:

Did anyone watch the Kennedy's?

It's pretty cheesy but that seems to be in common with the Canadian dramas I've seen.

I can't get over that it's being done by the same production company that did 24... Even the guy doing the music is the same and boy howdy is he just phoning that poo poo in.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

thehustler posted:

I like Sirens. gently caress you guys.

No, gently caress you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Seriously where the hell has Have I Got News For You gone?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Zen is basically Wallander with all the edges cut off it.

Also I don't think it got canned, they just reached the end of the series.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Metrication posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Sirens yet, I'd recommend it.

If only there was some way to have information about what people have or have not watched and what their opinions on it was. If only there was a way that this information was arranged in a sequence of bite sized chunks of information... laid out in a line. Almost like a thread. If only there was a thread you could read that had this sort of information in it.

If only.

If only... :(

ps. it's shite.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

birmingha posted:

Did C4 have anything like 'Friends' (schedule black hole filler/catch all decent ratings rerun style show) before 'Friends?' I'm 21 and I don't remember a time when that show wasn't seemingly everywhere.

Brookside.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Interesting. Ant must only be about 5'8 then. I just tend to assume people on TV are taller.

No, they're just painted in gold leaf and are carried to and from work in the arms of big breasted Valkyries.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Can't it be both?

((it's both))

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plastic surgery abs are hilarious.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I hope you all stop watching big brother. What the gently caress is the matter with you all.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

If only Robbie Coltrane wasn't such a creepy, pervy gently caress.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

Wait really? That's a shame.

Yeah. He was at a reading of a play in Glasgow that my sister and her friend were helping to run where he was doing some performance. He had trouble speaking to their faces and he is now known to all as "Shagrid."

edit - Sue Perkins is a bit of a bitch too.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wormophile posted:

nooooo you can't do this to me stop it

Might have been a bad day or something but she is pretty dang rude.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Rolled Cabbage posted:

She looks like a mimsy-pimsy Delia Smith book owner, and that is unforgivable :colbert:

Mary-Anne for ever.

How to Cook is a brilliant book and should come with every new house with a prebuilt kitchen.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

David Croft died :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

A5H posted:

So did anyone see this on the news yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE&feature=player_embedded
Jesus Christ. Who is that guy? And won't he have now lost his job??

He's not really. He's just being maybe a little too honest about things. He's almost certainly short trading too - he wants there to be a run on the bank so stocks go down.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Stalingrad posted:

Charlie Brooker was on would I lie to you tonight, it has to be seen to be believed.

Yeah, Charlie didn't come off too well to be honest. The very RP sounding chap did not like him at all.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Charlie Brooker looks a lot thinner than the last time I saw him, which was admittedly awhile ago. Almost startlingly so.

Two words for you. Konnie. Huq.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The Huqster.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Could you expand on the nature of the cuts to BBC2 daytime?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Is anyone really bothered about cuts to daytime tv?

Bothered, no.

Interested, yes.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I found out Giles hates Polish people something fierce today, put me off him a bit.

What, where did you find that out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

BeeZee142 posted:

Between this and the celeb version, the BBC sure are cashing in on the show's popularity.

Gasp! That's not at all like the BBC to take something that's popular and then gently caress it to death!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoops posted:

Compared to almost every other channel in the world, it isn't really.

Okay, I'll be over here with my 3 Dr Who spin offs, line of toys, books, CD's, videogames, advent calenders, trading card games, stationery and magazines minding my own business then shall I?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

fixed.

Point.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

It just seems a lot like the BBC are more willing than many channels to squeeze the life out of an IP. How many top gear books, DVDs, live shows and poo poo like that were made by the BBC? As far as I can see no other terrestrial channel shills its merchandise quite as hard as the BBC. I could be totally wrong though. It has been known to happen.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Are you counting K9 and Company?

Who wouldn't?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

I mean, it's man. With a TV show. Funniest show ever. A man. With a show. Talking about things. Very slowly. That's a man, talking about things, very slowly. And then. He lies on the floor. A man, lying on the floor. He's lying on the floor in a comedy club. And it's the funniest show on TV. Talking. Slowly. On the floor. Microphone. Funniest. Jealous. Poor jealous bastard. People don't like him. But there's another funny thing. And they like that instead. Bastards. How can they possibly? When there's a man. Lying on the floor.

No you just don't get Stewart Lee, man. You just don't get it.

*sips smoothie*
*posts on guardian x factor live blog 'ironically'*

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

The hilarity of the half true Glaswegian stereotyping, self aware at how weird things can get and a cracking theme tune.

I'm sorry he isn't on crack burning down pubs.

No this is not good enough I demand Eastenders levels of gritty realism or nothing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

goatface posted:

The Impression show.

Is it just me or are the impressions a bit poo poo?

It's not just you. The people working on the show have realised it too - they front every sketch with "Hello I'm John from Popular Culture" in order to make sure everyone's up to speed. Frankly the impressions aren't the worst bit. The writing is dross, dull and poor. They come up with a terrible joke that they then have to stretch out over the course of 3 minutes. It's like family guy but without the potential that it's being done ironically.

Basically: If they were told to make 2 episodes in a series rather than the 12 they have to do at the moment you'd have better impressions (less characters means more time for the actors to practice them) and better, funnier content (writing 12 episodes means you need to put in a lot of unfunny, annoying padding)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The new iPlayer is a bit poo poo. It keeps having to buffer for me. Anyone else seeing performance issues with it or am I just lucky?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

No I think there's been a pretty genuine fuckup on the part of the BBC on this one.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kin posted:

Blame the Tories.

Oh cool, the weather's getting chilly and I hate getting out of work when it's dark can I blame the tories for that too?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kin posted:

The BBC couldn't afford a good designer.

Anyone else, Kin, and I'd think they were joking.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cerv posted:

The public at large do support the strikes. 61% in a BBC commissioned poll this week.

Also, the figures in that quote are nonsense. For a start you can't compare the average wage across the total of all the millions of different jobs in the public sector with the total of all of the private sector. That's obviously not like for like.

Well, no, it is like for like. It's like for like in a really small sample but it's like for like in the example that he used.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Edit: Also is anyone else watching Strictly? I think Chelsea is looking like the most likely winner. The way that girl can move her body from the waist down is just unreal sometimes.

:quagmire:

Also what the hell is going on with the It Takes 2 set? It looks like an explosion in a sequin factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Loving how the BBC has basically said 'Sorry for making everyone chronically and near suicidally depressed with news coverage for the last year. To make up for it we're going to do surreal and rolling commentary on panda's'