Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Perfect Element posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm in particular annoys me with this (and it's one of my favourite shows) because it has literally never featured a black character whose essential, defining characteristic is that they're black.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

This is absolutely nothing to do with TV in general - it's an American thing. It comes from the very definite vision of race that slavery created in the US, and you'll see it in pretty much every single American TV show.

I always use this example, but the best way to see it is to sit down and watch an episode of Scrubs, then an episode of Red Dwarf.
How often do they say Lister is black, or make any sort of reference to it whatsoever? Now how often do they talk about Turk being Black? Or Carla being Hispanic? It's loving constant. Because in the US race is a huge definer of your identity and in the UK it's class instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

Haha yeah, that was great. The best part was when his daughter answered "Name something you put in the fridge" with "milk"...

and then the Man Himself said "Yoghurt". :stare:

You've fallen into the same trap both of them did! They thought he said Fridge.
He said Freezer.

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 20, 2010

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Is nobody watching Pillars of Earth? It's on Channel 4 on a Saturday, and it's based on a book about The Anarchy.
It's one of my favourite periods of history and plus it has Ian Mcshane in. How can you possibly go wrong?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

Yeah, with his kangaroo skin hat.

He was on today's episode as well. He won.

Oh man spoilers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thehustler posted:

Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live.

Danny Baker has cancer, but he won't say what type. I hope he's alright!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

God, Armstrong and Miller is loving poo poo. Every sketch has a single idea that just goes on for absolutely forever and it wasn't funny to begin with.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John_Anon_Smith posted:

i havent enjoyed never mind the buzcocks so much in years. this las episode was amazing. the atmosphere was really positive. terry wogan was amazing. james blunt was grea, rufus, everyone... "do u live alone"

..."u", really?

And it was amazing. Like Rufus said, Terry can say absolutely anything to you and you automatically agree. Plus him making fun of Chris Evans was unexpected and brilliant.
I just wish number 5 in the Cheryl Baker lineup had been Pat Sharpe again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Well I've tried to continue watching Pillars of the Earth but whoever said earlier that it trails off after episode 3 is correct. It's hard to really pinpoint what makes it so dull but the exposition is incredibly awkward and it feels like they needed a little more money for the project.
There's never quite enough extras around, places don't feel big enough and the sets look like BBC's Robin Hood, which was dire.

It's a shame because The Anarchy is a really under used and under known period of history. I guess I'll just have to wait for HBO to finish Game of Thrones.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LE0N posted:

Glad Jason Manford is off our screens again (or at least out of a bit more work) no one that unfunny should ever get the money he is being paid (any money, at all)

Jason Manford's pretty amusing. At least when he does local stuff. It's nice having comedians who don't just talk constantly about London. I'm still not really sure what he did though, I don't read gossip columns and it seems like it hasn't been reported as an actual news story.

And yea I didn't realise 4OD was supposed to have adverts for the longest time. Channel 5 manages to get around adblock with their adverts but I've only ever watched on show on Channel 5 OD (Paul Merton in Europe) so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marktheando posted:

That thing where he was an ice cream man was pretty funny too actually. It was more than ten years ago though.

That Peter Kay Thing and yea that was glorious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I don't normally enjoy I'm A Celebrity but this year seems really good. Dom Joly is absolutely hilarious, Stacey Solomon is really pleasant and bizzare and just generally I actually care about what's going on in it this year.
I hope Dom wins.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Awww, Dom has to go on that thing? yeah, some of the stuff Trigger Happy TV was a bit annoying but he had stuff that made me smile and laugh too.

I get the feeling he's on it for a bit of fun. Sort of like that fat woman from This Morning - she doesn't really need to be on the show, as she currently has work and is pretty much at the apex of her career (after all, she's from big brother).

Him teaching everyone to count in "korean" and getting hit in the eye with a rock while he was asleep have been two pieces of comedy gold.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, we've been watching it every night in my house, it's been awesome. The public seem to be voting off the right people as well - Shaun, Dom, Gillian and Stacy should all stay as long as possible.

I'd actually rather Gillian go, I just find her annoying. It's not like Big Brother where you need annoying characters to keep it interesting - Dom, Stacey and Shaun can keep it interesting fine themselves.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Alright own up, who the gently caress is voting for Aggro Santos? Who even knows who he is? I am utterly baffled by him being in the show still. Sure if it was voting people off like Big Brother but not voting to keep someone, people are actually paying for him to be in there?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There's quite a few comedians like that who are strongest in back and forth but sadly they get swept up in their own hype and go off to do solo stuff that never lives up.

I kinda feel like Russel Brand fits this - he was really good on Big Brother's Big Forum (before Big Brother's Big Mouth) where he chaired the panel and he mostly had to come up with witty retorts.
When he had control of the show it was loving wank, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Adrianics posted:

I went to the Birmingham Glee Club last month and saw a stand-up called Adam Bloom who had me shrieking with laughter, but he doesn't seem to do any television stuff.

Adam Bloom was on TV a lot in the mid 90s on Stand Up shows, like Live At Jongleurs. I really liked him, but having seen him a lot he's basically still doing the same material.
He was on Mock the Week and he told jokes that I'd already heard - and I hadn't seen him for about a decade.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cerv posted:

Drop the Dead Donkey was awesome and it's amazing how well it's aged.

And it's all on 4OD for free if anyone wants to check it out that isn't a filthy colonial.

Incidentally - Jeff Rawle (the editor, George) from Drop The Dead Donkey is in a Belgian game called Divinity 2. The whole game I was trying to pinpoint his voice and then suddenly it clicked for me.
It's so strange.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's been contrived and fake for the last 5 series. Still funny, though.

It's a lot worse now than it used to be. It's like they don't believe it themselves any longer.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I guess this series of Peepshow isn't that enjoyable for some at all?

It has a unique thread maybe people post in that, like with X-Factor?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Afterdark posted:

For a soap it was good, wouldn't consider it piss poor.

Yea, I was really impressed by it. Although when it flopped up and down after the crash it was a bit perculiar.
We at first thought the explosion was all that was going to happen and were really disappointed. I'm glad that it wasn't!

And Rita didn't die when those things fell on her, she's totally trapped. They wouldn't kill Rita in something like this. It'd be like killing Norris or Emily Bishop.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Afterdark posted:

They even got the area code right.

To be fair they probably live around here. I don't know many southerners that watch Coronation Street.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Benzene posted:

Jesus Christ, what happened to Corrie? Last time I saw it it was pretty much a more genteel Northern version of EastEnders, now it just looks like a clone of Hollyoaks with slightly more money to spend on special effects.

Eastenders is a southern version of Corrie, not the other way around!
And no they're all pretty bonkers nowadays, it's the best way to get ratings.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oben posted:

I think the wheelchair girl is actually disabled, so whatever she can do her character can do.

I've met her, she's definitely disabled. Or really committed to her character!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I couldn't find an active thread for The Daily Show, but, poo poo.

Glad to see they're cutting the awful poo poo from the channel.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I finally sat down and watched The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret last night. Not only does it have David Cross and Will Arnett, it had a smattering of people from various british stuff - including mr Rubber Dingy Rapids from Four Lions - and it was honestly hilarious.
It was a bit like a two hour peep show, where the awkwardness ramped up more and more and more until the final episode.

I can't wait for series 2!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Has anyone been watching the Little Crackers on Sky? They're on Sky Anytime if you've got a Sky+ HD box and they're pretty drat good. Victoria Wood's was the grittiest northernest one and I really loved David Baddiel's, Julian Barrats, Chris O'Dowds and Bill Bailey's.
Jo Brand and Kathy Burke had quite dull ones and I daren't touch Catherine Tate's.

It's all very much up to the person who made it what it's like though. The female ones are all about their childhood for some reason, Bill Bailey's is basically a 15 minute sketch and David Baddiel's is basically an anecdote.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kuno posted:

I don't think Bill Bailey quite got the design briefing for his, what did it have to do with his childhood? Even in Barratt's (which was plenty surreal) it concentrated on him as a (more than likely at least half fictional) teenager. Bill Bailey's was just him in a parking lot, as a man. poo poo felt weird man.

I don't think they have to be to do with your childhood. It just seems that most people took it that way.

I'll agree that I really wasn't sure what the gently caress was going on with the end of Julian Barratt's though. Why did satan just wander off?

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 25, 2010

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Did anyone watch The One Ronnie, by the way?

I did and I loved it. Sure it wasn't all hits but the majority of it was.
If only he'd make a series so we could have a decent sketch show on again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

justcola posted:

Just watched The First Men In The Moon not having much idea what it was about besides it had been written by Mark Gatiss. I recommend you watch it if you're into science fiction. Sometimes it had shades of Doctor Who although that's not really a bad thing for a ninety minute BBC science fiction drama. Although it has a sequence where Gatiss is wearing a cricket jumper and carves a polygon out of an apple.

It's based on a HG Wells novel, in case you didn't know. So it'd be more that Dr Who has shades of First Men In The Moon than the other way around!

quote:

I didn't see the big deal with the third and fouth series, those two twins are both gorgeous, the filming is pretty nice too.
Because, in the same way as Inbetweeners, series 1 and 2 were a more exaggerated version of my (and I'm sure many others!) life at college. Series 3 and 4 seemed created entirely to titillate. I won't say 1/2 didn't have advertising that suggested they were titillating because they definitely did, but 3/4 go mad with it. Not to mention the ridiculous storylines as mentioned above.

It's just like Scrubs - once you lose the veneer of reality, the show turns to rubbish.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Old Madeyes posted:

I didn't find it funny or clever at all. I don't know how much further Lucas (and I guess Walliams, but I was never keen on him anyway) can sink. I'm not a big lefty curmudgeon or anything but it's beyond me how two well educated men can sit in makeup getting blacked up and not realise that maybe there's something a bit off about their sketches. Actually, yeah it's because they're paid a lot, but what a pair of wankers.

It's a real shame that it was Little Britain that had their career take off (hurf) because Planet Rock Profiles was genuinely funny and relatively clever.

Also Pete Postlethwait died today, of cancer. I guess it's true when they say that once you've had it, you never get rid of it. (he had testicular cancer in 1990).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ben Soosneb posted:

Bit of a random time to bring it up, as I'm not sure it's been on over Christmas.

But is anybody else a fan of Pointless? Such a fun idea for a gameshow, and the cheapness of it really adds to the charm. It's like a thinking man's Family Fortunes.

Me and my girlfriend watch it whenever it's on. I even series linked it on Sky+! I do like trying to work out which is the lowest answer.

It is a bit baffling at times though, 100 people knew parmesan was a cheese but only 97 that the pound was the currency of the UK.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psybro posted:

Also if you watch carefully, when Alexander introduces Richard they either have a stock clip of him acknowledging the audience, or he always nods and smiles in precisely the same way.

He nods and smiles in precisely the same way. Watch him when he tells a joke, because he does it then too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just bought Bruce Parry's Tribe on DVD from Amazon for £9.99. I saw quite a few of them but not all of them so am looking forward to watching it again. It's easily one of the best things that's been on in years.
He's so much like Louis Theroux - they seem to want to get him involved in everything and he just smiles, nods and then drinks cow's blood or turns his foreskin inside out. It's amazing.

The best one is when he's in Gabon and he takes part in a religious festival from the local Bwiti religion. He takes a plant called an Iboga which "makes you relive past guilts through the eyes of the person you hurt". It really was fascinating hearing him talk about it. The things drugs can do!

Incidentally Sky launches Sky Atlantic on the 1st of February. It's going to have tons of stuff from HBO (Six Feet Under and suchlike) and any of their new shows. That includes Game of Thrones which I honestly can't wait for!
If you've got Sky it's going to be free until August 31st. If you have Sky Anytime+ HBO shows will also all pop up on there for you to watch at your leisure, which makes it useful in the same way as 4OD for the first time ever.
As someone who works for Sky I'm actually pretty interested in Sky Atlantic. HBO makes a lot of good stuff and the DVD sets cost a loving fortune.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FractionMan posted:

The fishermen on the trawlers themselves had an answer for this. Give a quota of days to fish, not a quota of fish. That way there's a maximum amount they can catch and a huge decrease in the discard. It's not a perfect solution, but it sure beats the current system or your stupid idea of "no one gets to eat any more fish ever"

I don't see why that's a stupid idea at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ibroxmassive posted:

Noone needs essential fatty acids

Literally every vegetarian is dead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

incredible bear posted:

And then what? Does it come with a previous bundle or will it be charging something new entirely.

It's on the Variety bundle, the same one as Sky 1. It does baffle me a bit because it feels like a lot of money has been spent on the channel that they're not going to be recouping - I'd have thought it belonged on the Movies bundle.

Incidentally I saw the first two episodes of Boardwalk Empire in a special preview and it was pretty decent, if a tad confusing. I find it hard to tell people apart if they change their clothes and hair when they've only been in the show a tiny bit, and it happens quite a lot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

On the plus side, award for Peter Capaldi. And Inbetweeners got best comedy rather than Miranda too.
Also Grandma's House is poo poo because Simon Amstell can't act.

And I think part of the problem with 10 o'clock live is that so many shows nowadays are pretty satirical. Every stand up comedian does jokes about satire, even Graham Norton, Alan Carr and Paul O'Grady are going on stage and saying "Aren't the Tories cunts?".
We don't need a Daily Show, because everything on TV makes fun of politics.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hoops posted:

Both The Trip and Grandma's House are much smarter and sophisticated comedy then Miranda

The point is if Miranda got good viewing figures, and made three or four million people giggle once or twice on a saturday night, then I'll accept the argument that it is the most successful comedy in the category.

*than, not then.

The idea isn't that it's successful though. Or at least it shouldn't be. Millions of people watched Everybody Loves Raymond and it doesn't change the fact that it's both lazy and awful. They should be basing their awards on things that are groundbreaking, or at least intelligent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Kind of depressing thinking of them still floating alone out there pushing fifty, Lister still far from Fiji.

Lister doesn't want to go to Fiji any longer. Series 1/2 never happened - instead the books did, where they got back to Earth and the rest of the inhabitants of the solar system had gotten tired of it and turned it into a refuse planet.
That's why in series 3 onwards they never once mention that they want to go back to Earth.

And it will never be good again. Without Rob Grant, Doug Naylor just doesn't have the spark. They need each other to be able to write.

That said series 8 is definitely better than 7 - Naylor did 7 all on his own and if you watch them both back on the DVDs you can definitely tell. Series 8 at least has moments of greatness. Not so much on the TV when the episodes are split up into parts, but when you watch them all as a lump they're definitely decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

You sure about this? Doug used other writers extensively in S7 (4 writers on 5 out of 8 episodes) and far less in S8 (2 out of 8 episodes and only Paul Alexander)...

That doesn't match up to what they say in the commentary and documentaries - series 7 he didn't want anyone helping and in 8 he extensively used Paul Alexander.

And Pete is quite good, probably the best of series 8.