Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Sion posted:

The BBC is funded in a unique way in that to own a television in the UK you have to pay a TV licence.

Not only is the UK system not unique, but more countries in the world have television licenses than not, although a lot of them allow their state channels to advertise as well. Unusually, France is currently moving back to a ban on advertising on the state channels.

The "my license fee pays for this crap" is a near-universal lament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

James Blunt's always struck me as a decent bloke since I saw this great interview with him where someone had a passive-aggressive pop at his hiring a backing band and general lack of street cred, and he came back with something along the lines of "well yeah but I've never pretended to have street cred, I was an Army officer, and then I left, and I'd enjoyed playing guitar so I wanted to be in a band, but when you're an officer in the Life Guards you don't exactly have many muso friends..."

No street cred? The man sold his sister on eBay.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

Actually the panel quiz show is an American invention dating back to Depression-era radio, but it's only really still popular in the UK. NPR (radio) still does "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me". I remember "Front Page Challenge" in Canada growing up but apparently that was finally cancelled in 1995.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

slotbadger posted:

I heard that. I think it was on Robin Ince & Josie Long's Utter Shambles, which is an excellent podcast. I don't think Jupitus thought it was out of order, he's pretty loving blunt with himself about being a fat gently caress. If you listen to the Perfect 10, he's constantly on diets and usually off alcohol too.

I think it was either on Buzzcocks or QI when he recounted being on "Casualty" playing a heart attack victim. At one point between takes he joked, "well this will be good practice for when the real one comes," and the medical consultant on the set looked up from his copy of The Lancet and said, "you're not wrong there, mate."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

And Jonathan Ross, this is not your finest moment. Three telescopes and a library of astronomy books, and he can't recognise any of the stars?

How can anybody who has lived in the northern hemisphere not know what the Big Dipper is (no matter what they locally call it)?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zorba the Greek posted:

I have the biggest loving crush on him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/28/invisible-wife-syndrome-celebrity-relationships

Gia Milinovich posted:

While Wonders was on TV, it seemed that everyone was declaring their love for Brian: young girls, older women, gay men, even throngs of straight men admitted to having a bit of a man crush on him. At one point, on Twitter, Sarah Cawood asked Lauren Laverne to set her up with Brian, as he'd been on her show that morning... All I could think was, "Really? He used to be a bus spotter. Sure, he's cute, but he really is a massive nerd." Later that day, the baby threw up on me, so I tweeted to Sarah Cawood that I'd be very happy to share my husband with her 50/50, if she took over the baby vomit cleaning duties. Unfortunately, she declined.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Per posted:

I come from a small country that has often imported British panel show concepts. I'm wondering why the US hasn't done the same thing.

Panel shows got their start on American radio and were hugely popular on US TV in the 50s and 60s. For whatever reason, it's not a format that interests Americans any more despite periodic attempts to revive it (eg. The Marriage Ref).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

A5H posted:

So did anyone see this on the news yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE&feature=player_embedded
Jesus Christ. Who is that guy? And won't he have now lost his job??

He claims that he's not a hoaxer but he's not really a trader either, he's just some idiot that the BBC selected at random to appear on telly as a "financial expert".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8792829/BBC-financial-expert-Alessio-Rastani-Im-an-attention-seeker-not-a-trader.html

Telegraph posted:

Mr Rastani works and lives with his partner Anita Eader in a £200,000 semi in Bexleyheath, south London. The house, complete with a mortgage from Royal Bank of Scotland, belongs to her not him.

He is a business owner, a 99pc shareholder in public speaking venture Santoro Projects. Its most recent accounts show cash in the bank of £985. After four years trading net assets are £10,048 - in the red.

How a man who has never been authorised by the Financial Services Authority and has no discernible history working for a City institution ended up being interviewed by the BBC remains a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fatty posted:

Looks like James May is getting in on the slow programs bandwagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSW-Pdm8CEM

Oddly looking forward to it, my dad will like the guitar one.

Is this on tonight?