Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can we add the railways to that list?

Mind you, I hate to say this, but Sky Arts is actually a half-decent channel. I don't watch much of it cos BBC 4 is on the iPlayer, but what I have come across while channel-surfing has been very watchable (like a huge load of archive documentaries from the 30s, 40s and 50s about institutions of the day), and there's a lot of friends of the family who move in highbrow circles and they watch quite a lot of stuff on there, it's apparently particularly good for things like opera and dance performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lotsatuned posted:

The BBC tends to commission a show for 2 series, as per fawlty towers

:eng101: The first series went out in 1975, but the second didn't appear until 1979.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Also, please feel free to record and upload your best "therrrrre's been a murrrrrrrr-derrrrrrrrr" at any point.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Azmodaii posted:

QI was great last night, I laughed quite a bit, was refreshing to see Stephen Fry with a mustache. Just wish Alan Davies wouldn't appear so bored and jaded sometimes, I re-watched some episodes from Series A and B, and he was the centre of the show back then... nowadays It seems like we have to wait for bill bailey or Ross noble for him to shine :/

Well, the trouble is that when your running gag is "educating the idiot", eventually he gets wise enough that he has to stop setting up the gags, or else his continued idiocy makes no sense because he should know better by now. And at least he's savvy enough to know that it just wouldn't work if he was still trying to be the wide-eyed innocent of the first few series.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I don't like the Boosh but I did start to like Fielding after that happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaoiL5srGQ

It's almost like you can see him becoming more self-aware at the end.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Harry Secombe's dead? When did that happen?

Before Spike Milligan. Which meant he foolishly thought he was safe from Secombe's threat to sing at his funeral, but that minor problem was circumvented with the aid of a tape recorder.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

So how are ITV going to nick it and make it worse?

I reckon it'll be X factor style

Shurely "The Eggs Factor"?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do like the idea of putting stuff made for BBC Four on BBC Two where a significant audience might actually watch it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bloody Nora. What next, Simon and the Witch starring Justin Bieber and Susan Sarandon?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Could someone explain to me what the point of Holy Flying Circus was? I'm sure there's some kind of grand cosmic irony in trying to write a pisstake of docudramas based around the Life of Brian controversy and ending up with "the kind of tenth-rate stuff that the Footlights would come up with on a wet Saturday afternoon".

Skip it, watch the rerun of the infamous Friday Night, Saturday Morning episode instead. Like most people I'd only ever seen clips, and what they (and the reconstruction) don't get across is how utterly shocking it is to see the complete and total intellectual dishonesty of two intelligent men constructing 40 minutes worth of spitefully bilious arguments that are entirely based on a false premise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016bgt2/Friday_Night_Saturday_Morning/

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry, but the correct answer is clearly the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top Of Other Things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M

Shame, indeed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The trouble with Life of Brian is that it has a serious pacing issue; there's about fifteen minutes in the middle (from Brian being throw in the dungeons to him falling onto the platform and giving his messianic speech) when all the momentum of the plot comes to a complete and total screeching halt while they do a few funny sketches and say "Biggus Dickus" a lot.

This is why I like Holy Grail better; it's not trying to adhere to any sort of narrative or filmic convention, so it can just deviate from the nominal plot to do a sketch as often as it likes. Life of Brian is telling a much more traditional story, and you can't just put that on hold for 15 minutes, even if you're doing it to tell the best series of dick jokes committed to film.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

I mean, it's man. With a TV show. Funniest show ever. A man. With a show. Talking about things. Very slowly. That's a man, talking about things, very slowly. And then. He lies on the floor. A man, lying on the floor. He's lying on the floor in a comedy club. And it's the funniest show on TV. Talking. Slowly. On the floor. Microphone. Funniest. Jealous. Poor jealous bastard. People don't like him. But there's another funny thing. And they like that instead. Bastards. How can they possibly? When there's a man. Lying on the floor.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Jimmy Savile has died.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16099015

nur-ur-hur-rur-ur-ruh-ruh-RIP.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 23, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Jimmy Saville's gone, so let's take a look at some of his best moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8M7yTSZpZg

Words fail me

The thought occurs that this is not a million miles away from Minipops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKcmHwjfCbg

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

AFAIK the iPlayer doesn't put a region lock on radio programmes, so you're cool for those.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Why do people have to keep loving about with things that work? Why can't they just leave well alone? The bit of the iPlayer redesign that's really annoyed me is that they've got rid of the "big but not full screen" window size. Whose clever idea was that?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

My birthday is in the middle of November, and the long standing tradition is that nobody gives a poo poo about Christmas until after that. I propose we roll that system out nationwide. Nobody give a poo poo about Christmas until next Friday at the earliest.

Annoying as they often are, the thought occurs that the Americans did this the right way by inventing a late November holiday, which makes it utterly impossible to bring out any Christmas crap before then because the reaction would just be "but it's not been Thanksgiving yet!"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

One of the better hosts this series. For all the crap he gets, Blunt always seems genuinely funny and a really good sport when I see him on TV.

The thing about Blunt is that he never disputes any of the frequent knocks against him (he's a toff, he's set out with at least half an eye on Having A Career rather than just making music, he was way overpromoted with You're Beautiful, he uses songwriters and session players rather than mates "because I didn't have any mates in bands, I was a toff!", sometimes he doesn't write his songs himself, he has a very high voice), he refuses to buy into Being A Celebrity any more than is necessary to sell records, and he absolutely doesn't take himself seriously.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Leyburn posted:

He's fallen so far since he was the funny one on Mock the Week

Not really sure this is the pedestal you're making it out to be.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

meme posted:

I got that moving the cast to Starbug was to give them a purpose and introduce some dynamic scenery, but I don't think it really worked. They were already chasing earth, and with the Dwarf they had BOTH a labyrinthine space hulk with heaven knows how many secrets to uncover, AND Starbugs. I just dont get how such bad decisions were made by people who get paid to do this kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most every episode up to around S7, but it always seemed that the show worked in spite of the sets, forced drama, and weird behind-the-scenes decisions, rather than because of them.

The other consideration that Rob and Doug had was that Red Dwarf took up a lot of space at Shepperton in standing sets, plus Starbug, and there wasn't much space left to do anything else there; the idea was that not having to have Red Dwarf up all the time freed up a lot of space to make it easier to do other sets when they were needed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Wow it was only 6 out of 10 schools closed in England? In Scotland it was 99%. :scotland:

This is a classic example of lies, damned lies and statistics. My stepmother is a primary school teacher; her school taught no lessons whatsoever on Wednesday. Surely this counts as being closed, right? Not so fast, my friend! Not everyone who works in a school is a teacher; some of them are administrative staff who are in another union (or no union), some of them went into work, therefore the school was not "closed". Would love to know what the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th schools were actually doing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If Brazil was the 1984 for 1984, 15 Million Merits is the 1984 for, er, 2011.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

But wasn't your enjoyment slightly ruined by the fact that the show instantly undermines it? The idea of the rebellion being packaged up and marketed to viewers extends beyond the reality of the show. You as a view of Black Mirror are being emotionally manipulated by the same speech packaged in a way you can consume happily. Not to say that it was the wrong decision to do so or made the show worse at all, it just made me instantly guilty for loving it...

Twas ever thus. It might have dented my enjoyment very slightly as the implication of the closing scene set in; but it increased my subsequent appreciation of the programme many more times. Highly unsettling, but absolutely the right note to hit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do think it is mildly dishonest to mix in zoo footage without telling viewers that you're using zoo footage when you're making a show where a large part of the appeal is "holy poo poo, they really went there and saw that" (kind of like a war doco mixing in a sequence that was shot on Salisbury Plain during an exercise), and it does detract quite a bit from the finished product, but it's hardly a horrific scandal for which the perpetrators should be dragged to the stocks and have rotten vegetables thrown at them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Noreaus posted:

Rule 1.6 in section 2 of the broadcasting code states:

Did Big Brother start prior to 2100?

Yes, it started in 2000 :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cowboy Mark posted:

He's written about taking up running in his Guardian column.

Exercise? A woman? A child? We've lost the Charlie of yesteryear. He'll go soft and uncurmudgeonly.

...did you not watch 15 Million Merits, then?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hoops posted:

Look at film, they get by on Film 2011 and the odd spot on Newsnight Review or the Culture Show. And the general public's knowledge of film is 50 times bigger than it is of videogames. Asking for a regular, niche-interest videogame programme is like asking for a regular, niche-interest programme on boxing/dance music/dog breeding.

Or cars?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hoops posted:

Also, everyone buys cars. Everyone buys houses. Programmes about them aren't comparable.

I buy food and I eat food, and I buy furniture and I sit on furniture, but I don't give a shite for watching programmes about them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Bit off topic but this term is synonymous in my squadron with backhanding people with bayonet pouches.

Is that a euphemism?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-6XaHHZW0

Best intro sequence for anything in the history of ever. I've no idea how Bob or the rest of the show managed to follow it, but somehow they did.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The banter and chemistry that sometimes comes up between the Time Team presenters is what the Top Gear lads dream of having.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If I wanted to watch the trials and tribulations of a bunch of upper-class twits, I'd pay attention to the news.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It is a waste of money for any media company to produce media that nobody is paying attention to.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sion posted:

I thought the point of the TV license was to basically let the BBC make and produce TV and radio that no one else would touch with a barge pole. Shouldn't the BBC be about really niche stuff that wouldn't get a voice anywhere else due to the UNIQUE WAY WE'RE FUNDED?

Inform, educate, entertain.

If nobody's watching something or listening to something, it should be given a fair chance to find an audience, and then it should go away and something else should come along. If contextual ratings are low, this is a reasonable indication that people are not being informed, educated or entertained, no? The licence fee is not an excuse to keep shovelling crap onto the schedules because the Controller of BBC Three's first cousin's mother-in-law likes it and thinks "it's the sort of thing you chaps should be doing".

*n.b. this assumes that the way in which ratings are calculated are reflective of the viewing habits of anyone other than the people who are on the research panels, which is a whole other skip full of worms.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Daphne - Like your kindly old grandmother, if she knew everything. Cheerily doddery. Has a love-hate relationship with CJ. Weaknesses: Any music questions beyond the 1980's. Ditto with Film & Television.

The best part about Daphne was how everyone used to pick Sport against her based on her being both A Woman and Like Totally Old, and then getting completely slaughtered. Does anyone still do that or did they wise up?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Is it my imagination, or would the Holy Grail be a full, clean version of the original mix of that theme (and for the masters of the muzak remix to be burned and the ashes thrown into the sea), including the opening bit that always always always got talked over?

Here's a clip that starts with the full opening. Dare you not to watch the rest of the show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDTWGeikZs

Of course it wouldn't be anything like the same without William G. Stewart, and he's about 77 and old now.

And if it's pure quizzing you're after, there's always Brain of Britain on Radio 4...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here is a show you literally haven't watched in 15 years, but as soon as you see it, you'll go "Ohhhhh, it's this show!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvLGT8cz_U

Anyone know what happened to the host? He wasn't bad at it, and his voice is imprinted on the inside of my brain along with William G. Stewart and Henry Kelly and Bob and Richard O'Brien.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The trouble with trying to do a British Daily Show is the fundamental difference in culture. In America the news agenda is set and driven by the news networks; therefore it makes sense for the chief satirical organ also to be prominently displayed on television in the form of the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

For us, the key players are still the newspapers. It's the newspaper editors that Leveson wants to talk to about press ethics. When did you last hear of a big scandal that was broken by Sky News? It doesn't happen; and so therefore we have Private Eye. It can be embarrassing for a few minutes to have nasty things said about you on HIGNFY, but then it passes on; it's only if it sticks in print that you've got a real problem. Likewise, American public figures don't get worried because the Onion took the piss out of them, but if one of the news channels gets its teeth into you, then you're in trouble.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I will watch that if and only if the first item involves some sort of urinating contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6isXNVdguI8