Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Fatkraken posted:

Are we all exactly the same age in this thread?

I'm 22 and have no knowledge of it whatsoever. I just watched a bit on youtube and it doesn't rind any bells at all. I recognise Roxie or Ronnie (don't know which is which) from Eastenders though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

There are a lot of misses to go with the hits, though, and I think the Parking Padawayo thing is pretty racist. The only black character in the whole show and he's a vindictive retard. I get what they're doing and the one the other day with the slow-mo was funny, but it still rubs me the wrong way a little.
I only saw it once, but I thought that was the idea. People seeing that the traffic warden who's just given them a fine is an immigrant and giving them all that "go back where you came from, you weren't born here" poo poo. That's definitely true in real life, people can use the fact they hate traffic wardens to come out with some serious racist abuse towards them.

[edit]ah, I somehow completely missed the "I get what they're doing" part in your post. I still don't think you need to look much past the basic idea though, I didn't get any racist vibes from them as the creators of the joke though.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 7, 2010

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Frankie Boyle definitely overdoes Scotland/Glasgow gags, but he's definitely still a much sharper comedian than all the others. That's one of my comedy pet peeves, filling an entire act with jokes about your heritage, but outside of that he's still really funny. Russel Howard is getting better, but he still seems like he doesn't have belief in his jokes, there's no commitment in his eyes when he talks. When he's being more natural he can come out with some really funny lines.

Parsons and Dennis can gently caress off though, you can literally feel the humour level drop when they start talking.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Tardstar posted:

What the hell is this?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Curb Your Enthusiasm is brilliant and deserves all the praise it gets.

I don't see any fundamental difference between Seinfeld and any other multicamera sitcom. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't hate Friends, for example. Quite like How I Met Your Mother or sometimes Big Bang Theory. If Friends was a new show and I hadn't seen every episode a million times without even trying to watch it, I'm sure I would probably tune in.

I mean, the early seasons are too dated now and the later stuff was stuck in a massive caricature-driven rut, but the middle few seasons make up a perfectly good sitcom. Similarly, Seinfeld is okay, but I see no genius in it whatsoever.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

reality_groove posted:

Hey, you know what, You've Been Framed is loving hilarious. Forget all these Rude Tubes and Robert's Webs, YBF is the original and best clip show. Say what you will about Harry Hill but he makes that show ten times more watchable, I randomly tuned in last weekend and laughed a lot mroe than I have at any other recent show (bar the Apprentice).
What's wrong with Harry Hill? I think he's great, particularly for what he does. He's the only mainstream entertainer for years who isn't completely shite.

I do think he has a prejudice against fat people though. I think everything I've seen him do has atleast one joke at the expense of someone's weight. TV Burp has loads every episode. I'm nowhere near fat but someone pointed it out to me and you start to notice it more and more.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Don't know if anyone's still up, but how long does it usually take for stuff to go up on 4oD? Missed Misfits tonight and don't want to ask in that thread, trying to avoid spoilers

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Smeep posted:

So no Thick of It this year, I take it?
I haven't heard anything about them even thinking about writing a new series. I assume Armando Ianucci helped write those Alan Partridge shorts, I'm not sure if he's doing anything else right now.

So probably not, no.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I couldn't find an active thread for The Daily Show, but, poo poo.
:(

I watch the Daily Show in 4oD before I go to bed almost every day. The weird sudden edits in the Global edition makes it the worst one to watch. They also focus on the correspondant reports which are the worst bit, and have less of John Stewart's monologues, which are the best.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Cold Feet was pretty good, from what I remember of it. Similar in tone to something like Teachers, if you've ever seen that. Not out and out *funny*, especially towards the end, but has a definite warmth to it. I can't remember how many series there were, four or five I think, so I don't know if it's worth watching the whole thing, but if your Mum alreay has the DVDs there's no harm in checking it out.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

DaWolfey posted:

Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

Jesus christ.
Both The Trip and Grandma's House are much smarter and sophisticated comedy then Miranda (I assume from its primetime slot, never actually seen Miranda) but they both have massive, gaping flaws within them that stopped either of them being that memorable. Grandma's House's acting wasn't that great, The Trip was exceptionally poignant but never anchored onto any genius moments. And I'm sorry, crucify me if you will, but the impressions became *horrifically* overdone by the end, and they ended up being this massive yoke around its neck where half the episode was simply annoying.

I'm not even sure I would classify The Trip as "comedy", come to think of it.

The point is if Miranda got good viewing figures, and made three or four million people giggle once or twice on a saturday night, then I'll accept the argument that it is the most successful comedy in the category.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Taear posted:

*than, not then.
Congratulations

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

So I'm watching the third episode of Episodes, and it's okay enough and I'm perfectly willing to give it half an hour of my week (even though I'm not really a fan of Tamsin Grieg or Stephen Mangan), but something about the title sequence really, really annoys me and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

God forbid he repeat things he's already said if it's relevant to the subject he's discussing, or for the benefit of people who haven't heard him saying them before...
He's reusing material. No need to be so defensive, sorry someone made a legitimate criticism of the great Charlie Brooker.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Akuma posted:

I always assumed this was seriously overplayed by the Hoff himself. Is that not the case?
I think he was more popular and long lasting in Germany than he was in the rest of the world, yeah. He had some pretty iconic moments around the fall of the Berlin Wall. But it's not the early 90s anymore, "Germany loves Hasselhoff" has been a bit a punchline for 15 years now.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Kin posted:

The problem with LeBlanc is that he appears to just be playing a more sweary, less retarded, slightly antagonistic Joey.

It's bad because he's either typecasting himself further or it shows that he's a very bad actor if he was more or less acting a nice version of himself in Friends and Joey.

Either way, when i'm watching it, i feel that i'm watching Joey "Real life edition" which is odd.
I really think this is unfair criticism. A sweary, non-retarded, antagonistic Joey isn't Joey at all. He's not a particularly nice guy in this when Joey was 100% good natured all the time.

Of course he reminds you of Joey, because you've seen Friends a thousand times and he shares the same face and vocal chords. He's playing a smart alec, arrogant, depressed, manipulative, hollywood big shot with a huge ego. I don't see how any of that is like Joey.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Metrication posted:

Sounds like I'm not missing anything then. Is there ever any dubstep in the charts? I'm partial to some of that.
Dubstep doesn't get released as singles though

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Kin posted:

Am i the only one somewhat repulsed by Michel Roux's Service?

I've worked in hospitality before and it really is a lovely, thankless, overy stressful, underpaid line of work and to see it glorified as some kind of wonderjob for these people to aspire to is heartbreaking.
I know what you mean. I've been quite enjoying the series but I feel awful for the kids in it that the prize is to be a loving waiter. I have no idea what the tips are like in high-end service but there's no way it can be enough to justify them devoting their entire career to it when they're about 17.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Leyburn posted:

So wait... what's the problem with that particular scene again?
I dunno, in my opinion Only Fools and Horses has dated horribly, has never made me laugh even once and is looked upon with nostalgia-tinted glasses by a shockingly high number of people as some great British sitcom institution. If they aired it now it would get slaughtered in the press. I'll take people's word for it that it was hilarious in its day but that style of comedy is long gone now and personally it does nothing for me.

I imagine a lot of people will find this post very contrarian no matter what so I may as well go all out and throw in Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army in there with it too. They're not funny.

gently caress it: Father Ted and Red Dwarf weren't as good as people remember either.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

marktheando posted:

Are you saying that the cartoon is amazing or that the first film is bad? Because both these things are wrong.
Admittedly it's been about 10 years since the cartoon was on, but I remember it being pretty good. Wasn't really anything to do with the series, tonally or thematically though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Adrianics posted:

edit: And considering the huge, dedicated fan bases that both Mitchell and Brooker have, I think that plenty of people would watch 10 O'Clock Live if it were just the two of them. No question.
Charlie Brooker doesn't really have a huge fan base though. His profile has obviously gone up a lot in the last year or two but he's still the least well known of the four. This thread is full of slightly nerdy 16-28 year old guys which are his natural audience but outside of that he's not big enough to carry a mainstream show. He's also to be honest not a good enough live TV presenter either.

I agree Carr's bits are becoming a bit of a weak link in the show but I think an out and out comedian is important for the balance of the show. Think what Have I Got News For You would be like without Paul Merton. I think the best solution would be to retool the section, not just start dropping presenters. I think four is a good number of hosts for a satire show, gives it more of a community feel and stops the focus being on a star of the show, which weakens satire imo (John Stewart manages it though).

If they replaced him though, I can't think of a frontrunner to take the job. There aren't a lot of mainstream intelligent political TV comedians that are "yoof" enough. Possibly Rufus Hound but his style is a bit overstated. I'd love to see Stewart Lee do it but that will never happen and in reality would probably be terrible. Robert Webb would fit in if David Mitchell wasn't already doing it. Josie Long's too nice. Alexander Armstrong has gravitas for a politics show. Richard Ayoade's schtick wouldn't work. Peter Serafinowicz maybe. Chris Addison. Sacha Baren Cohen. I'm just listing comedians now so I'll stop thinking about a show I don't even like that much.

[edit]The more I think about the more I like the idea of a british Daily Show with Sacha Baren Cohen. I think they tried it already with Marcus Brigstock, but they always try Marcus Brigstock for that sort of thing and it never really works.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 20, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Shelf Adventure posted:

What annoys me is just how boring and predictable the music choices are. It's basically a round up of last year's top 10 hits with one or two songs with lyrics that are annoyingly and vaugley related to what is going on (e.g. every time there is a poker game Poker Face will now be played.)
That's the worst thing about Gavin and Stacy. I really liked it as a sitcom, but the music choice is atrocious. It's almost anti-imagination. They just grabbed the top 20 playlist from six months before the show was filmed and threw a dart at it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The more I listen to Adam and Joe the more I think Joe is really what makes it. I really like Adam Buxton, but he goes over the top shouty sometimes and talks too much about his kids. Most of my laugh out loud moments come from Joe's delivery. I gave up listening to his Big Mix Tape show because it was just endless stories about what his kids had done the day before.

Love Stewart Lee though, I just think he's on an entirely different level from literally everyone else. I'm not saying he's necessarily the funniest *stand-up* in the world (was introduced to Louis CK the other day and he's great, although quite a lot of the time his swearing detracted rather than adds to his comedy), but he's the only one in the world who does his style and I think it's unbelievable.

I liked him before I was a goon though, so I get a pass from the hive-mind. Also don't rate Charlie Brooker at all.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Kin posted:

It's because the show really isn't that good. It's Who's Line is it Anyway but far too scripted.

I get the feeling the inital pitch was for a WliiA show but they had to make it different enough so they wouldn't get into legal trouble but it seems the stuff they've removed (the spontanious stuff/audience participation) is a huge reason why who's line was amazing.
Obviously this comes with an improv show, but it's very hit and miss. The misses outweight the hits really so I always find it really unsatisfying. One of the mjaor problems is Hugh Dennis. I don't understand it, does he actually think he's being loving funny?

I also really just watch it for Laura Solon. I saw her show in Edinburgh last year and she is a proper fitty like.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

No, My Little Pony inspired lots of rage on the forums and the thread got shut down. Some people decided they liked the show, wanted to chat about it and spread the word about a funny, well-meaning cartoon fit for the whole family and were doing perfectly okay until a bunch of dicks decided they should control what people watched and started making GBS threads up the thread for no reason other than being argumentative and condescending.
I too get a little tired of the forums constantly making GBS threads on everything, all the time, but if you don't think a group of 20-something guys posting on the internet about a cartoon for little girls is worth mocking then I'm curious to see what your life is like.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

goatface posted:

Are they just grabbing a random anti-war student from off the street, or are these people actually respected members of charities/organisations?
Every charity/anti-war/pro-war organisation has a press officer who is completely loving awesome at their job. In the modern era it's just suicide not to have one. I haven't seen it but if these people can't go on TV and make a really convincing argument for their cause then they're probably not "proper" people in the organisation. 10 o'clock live is not exactly a friendly environment for say, a pro-military spokesman, but it's still just a comedy show and a professional should be able to bat it out of the park.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Kin posted:

I just can't fathom anything about it. It literally has no redeeming qualities and is like someone is actually trying to troll anyone who watches TV.

They're kids, pretending they're adults, carrying out somewhat pre-watershed jokes that are not only not funny, but outright cringeworthy (fat white ginger kid pretending he's Idi Amin opening a fruit and veg store, really? :psyduck:) with a horrible canned laughter track and aired at 11pm.

It's almost like an "adult" version of those kids shows you get on BBC at 4pm.
This might seem like a strange comment, but the little cockney boy who's sort of the "head performer" in it is probably one to watch for the future. I'm not saying he's flat out hilarious (at all), but for a child actor in a comedy show he definitely has comedy timing and I think he has potential when he get's older. I'm sure if you looked at someone like David Mitchell, he wouldn't have been a great actor when he was 13 or so either. Once he gets put in something proper then I think that kid could be really good.

Unfortunately, School of Comedy is wank, yes.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Akuma posted:

Do you mean the kid that was in Son of Rambow? Because he was legitimately good in that film.
I never saw it, but I looked it up and yeah that's the kid I mean, Will Poulter. Wikipedia says he's won a few "newcomer" awards.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

DaWolfey posted:

Lee is outstanding
Thought there was a lot that didn't work this week to be honest, and I love Stewart Lee. Last week was up there with the best stuff I've ever seen him do, but his persona didn't fit with the (may as well spoiler it) "come and stay" bits very well and I'd seen the otters bit before so it didn't have the same effect. Sketch was actually great though, best Comedy Vehicle one by a mile. The pearly king outfit with the London postcodes was a touch of genius.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

David Walliams has developed his creepy persona in basically every appearance he's ever done. Big Fat Quiz of the Year, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, he turns it on all the time. He's a comedian. I watched his swimming the channel thing and when he was away from the public he was fine, much quieter.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've just been watching The Code with Marcus du Sautoy. I'm not a mathmatician, but he's completely full of poo poo. Cicadas have prime-number lifecycles, imaginary numbers make radar works. Maths is built into nature because music, this thing we made, has nice ratios!

It's almost like watching TimeCube.
That's all true though. I am a mathematician, nothing he's saying is false. It's presented in a popular science-y way which is maybe a little bit superficial, rather than going to the level beyond where the connections seem less like crazy out-there randomness, but that's totally the nature of mathematics. I didn't see anything other than the cicada bit, and I've never heard of the radar thing (although imaginary numbers are a huge, HUGE part of advanced maths) but I could literally talk all day about the connections between maths and music, my degree was maths and music and I wrote a 56-page dissertation on only one of the many aspects of that.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

henpod posted:

What the hell is club style.
Yeah, singing it "in the club style" is this tiny comedic idea that the more you consider it, the funnier it gets. Love Shooting Stars.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I just had a look at the contestants. Who even thinks of offering Celebrity Big Brother to the wife of the Speaker of the house of commons? John Bercow is one of the scummiest, fascist, tax-dodging criminal politicians in the country as well, I hope she got booed.

I could have sworn Jedward had been on Big Brother before, this sort of thing is their bread and butter.

Tara Reid is still pretty kind of famous though isn't she? She was in films that most people have seen, within the last ten years. That's way above Celebrity Big Brother level isn't it?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

There's always the part where the voiceover talks about how little talent they're finding, shows a few backstage shots of the judges looking fed up and one of them saying "I'm so disappointed in the talent this year in _________", then let's see if the next contestant, a humble attractive 19 year old, has what it takes to change their mind......

I love the X factor audition episodes, it's the best reality show on TV.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I was just watching that. It always annoys me how easy the music questions are. They'll ask specific questions about characters from lesser known Shakespeare plays, but then they'll have a "name the composer" round and the answers are as easy as "Beethoven, Chopin and Bach", which anyone with even a sligth interest in classical music would be able to atleast guess at. I mean, I studied maths and music at uni, and I reckon I would get less than 2/3rds of the maths questions on my best day, but there is barely ever a music question I can't get instantly and it's not as though I sit there listening to classical music all day. University Challenge has always been big on history, art history and english literature, but they really don't make the effort for music questions.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Derek Agony posted:

I disagree. While there will always be questions about Bach, Beethoven and Mozart, there are also plenty of questions about Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. More obscure composers obviously don't come up as frequently but they still make occasional appearances. The fact that you can answer most of them quickly is down to spending 3 years at uni (plus somewhere from 5 to 12 before, and however many since) playing and listening to classical music, giving you a familiarity with it that the vast majority of people just don't have.
It's not as though I didn't think of that, come on. It's something I notice every single time I watch it, I've been saying it for years now.

My knowledge of maths is a lot stronger than my knowledge of classical music, which means I can say with confidence the maths questions are much, much more specialist than the musical ones. That's why I brought it up. You would have to be a dedicated, above-average maths student to get most of the maths questions but I don't know a single music student who wouldn't be able to get nearly all the UC questions.

Specific examples: Tonight there was the "New World Largo" by Dvorak. That's a hugely famous piece of music, especially to the British public. I'm not saying that the vast majority people can name it or its composer (its way more famous as the Hovis theme tune), but far more people would know it was Dvorak than would know other UC questions, it isn't specific, degree-level knowledge at all.

In contrast, there was a question about the Goldbach conjecture. No-one who doesn't have the knowledge of atleast a second year maths student is going to be able to come close to being able to name the Goldbach conjecture.

My general knowledge is good enough to recognise what is an easy question and what is esoteric knowledge, and I'm telling you, all the other subjects except like the "name this country on a map" questions require a much deeper knowledge of your subject than the music rounds.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Really? Given that I remember the maths questions being of the order of "What it's 2 cubed multiplied by 2 squared" then I question your department.
Was it? I turned it on after it started, think the score was like 45-65 but the mathsy bonus questions I saw were about theorems and conjecture, and one was about diophantine polynomials. I definitely didn't see anything with straight-up arithmetic.

quote:

I love how Paxman shows disdain if you don't know which two characters from a Shakespeare play are referenced in a work by some obscure Czech musician, but thinks you're a modern day genius if you know what HTTP stands for
That's posh oxbridge liberal arts students for you, Stephen Fry is the same. Hugely intelligent guys but all get into media and politics and think anything with equations is basically witchcraft.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Musical comedy is nearly always poo poo though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

I've just seen on iplayer they've apparently made a second series of Lee Nelson's Well Good Show and are willing to put it on TV. What the gently caress, BBC?
I know, jesus. Forget about how it just isn't funny to begin with, I just can't believe it's on the telly in 2011. It would have been outdated five years ago. A chav character, gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

God yeah, you're right. I would have said "Ali G did it better" but Ali G was on so long ago now I had forgotten about him.