Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Irisi posted:

Oh happy day, a repeat of My Big Fat Gyspy Wedding has just come on More4 :allears:. And there's a whole series of it coming soon. Is it sad that I'm really excited for it?

I watched this! I swear gypsies must be on average the slimmest ethnicity (if it is one?) in Britain - all the girls and boys were loving svelte. It looks like a good society in which to be a man really; they were all ugly as sin, and a lot of the girls were pretty smoking.

Deep social commentary from me, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Going by the current standards of Eastenders' she's going to pimp Tiffany.

Did anyone make the same mistake as me and watched Biggest Loser, ignorantly assuming it would have at least a tiny amount of useful diet or exercise advice, rather than being a freak, where fatties are forced to humiliate themselves, and ITV use it to promote their Biggest Loser diet website and weight loss programme? I must have spent too much time on Watch and Woot, watching it really pissed me off.

The creepiest bit is the way that their ultimate target is to achieve Botox-infused, utterly generic, all-American 'beauty'. In the very last episode, they're all sobbing with joy because they finally look a little more like the presenter, who herself just looks like she's been cobbled together on photoshop. It's really off-putting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Speaking of depressing documentaries, did anyone else catch the Storyville on BBC4 last night about the various anthropologists visiting a particular tribe in the Amazon? It was more about the disputes between the anthros than the tribe, and moments of it were utterly sickening - the sex abuse and medical experiments, in particular.

Really fascinating, though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think the +1 thing is pretty cool, myself. If you're just hanging out with housemates and want to watch something that everyone likes, it gives you much more scope in what you can choose, especially if you can't be arsed to gently caress around with recording things and what not.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So, would you guys recommend that I watch it, or just wait til its on again next week?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The worst thing was the CGI, half the film looked like I was watching a sci-fi Pixar movie or something.

I really hope there's a popular backlash against computerised special effects, and we start seeing awesome puppets and models and what not again. Nothing ruins immersion more than a film looking like a PS2 game.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Padje posted:

The only person I liked was the concessions worker who pointed out that some customers have trouble between the notions of sweet and salted.

Also I hated the whole thing. Heston's a food wizard, not a social crusader, and I think he's aware of this as he sheepishly tries to sell his own brand of food he doesn't seem to like to people he loathes for money from Channel 4. His experiment with stale popcorn in the dark vs fresh popcorn in the light was laughable, with 2 variables, making it not the same experiment at all. People would probably probably prefer the 'stale' popcorn either way as it 'tastes right'. I've seen food programmes where they get members of the general public to eat low grade and then high grade sausages. The majority prefer the skanky ones, with the wisdom being that that is what they know a sausage to be, so if Heston was worried his own popcorn would get trounced, at least he could've fallen back on that. Instead he made out everyone was a big idiot.

"What makes popcorn so...popular?"

Not tasty. Popular.

Me and my mates were expressing identical sentiments to each other when watching this. The whole thing was just such a massive waste of everyone's time - his, the cinema's, and we who watched the program. There is absolutely no point in trying to sell people food that they don't even want, at a far smaller profit than what they were selling originally.

That first bit with the food tailored to the film was just loving ridiculous. Fish market scene so he creates a terrible smell in the room and gives them disgusting food. Orgy scene so he gives them a sauce that looks like cum. Seriously?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

A5H posted:

Did anyone dare to watch 'omg with peaches geldof'? I was just flicking through the channels and saw this weeks was about furries. Jesus christ. I'd watch it as I imagine it's pretty funny/sad, but I can't stand that stupid bitch.

I watched a little bit of it with my gf, and it was shockingly bad. I mean, I'd seen the adverts begging people to text in with their problems that make their pals go 'OMG!' and I knew it would be pretty crass, but it's more abysmal than you could imagine.

The bit I saw was some prissy pink princess girl (who we both thought was a pastiche anyway) who turns out to be a vampire at night!!! It was just so depressingly mundane that I think even the live, slack-jawed studio audience could barely disguise their boredom behind their prompted applause.

So, it's not even 'so good it's bad' telly. It has no merit. It is poo poo.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Question about TV licensing, just found ours is coming up, but we're moving out soon after so I don't really want to pay all the money. I have a TV but only really use it as a monitor and for my 360, and don't have an aerial plugged into it (and I'm in Cambridge where indoor aerials are useless anyway) do I even need a licence?

I don't think so, no. You need some kind of receiving equipment in order to be obliged to get a license.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I that Lily Allan show was pretty entertaining. The camera's not shying away from the fact that she's obviously vastly out of touch with ordinary people, pretty selfish, quite obnoxious and a bit thick. Despite the retarded nonsense she spouts, she still somehow doesn't come across as a total wanker, though.

The other people she's working with - her sister, the consultant and that woman who used to work for Vogue or whatever - all seem pretty grounded and interesting, and it will be amusing to see who eventually snaps and destroy's Lily's dreams.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Apologies for the shameless self-promotion, honestly, but I figured this would be the thread in which to do it:

My band, Michael A Grammar, is being played on 6Music tonight as part of the BBC Introducing show with Tom Robinson. I think we're on in... roughly ten minutes, so I am leaving this a little late.

But if anyone's up, and fancies listening in and possibly texting sweet nothings to the man about how much you love us, then you have my deepest gratitude.

Move along, everyone.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Roughly what time were you guys on at into the show?

We were the second song, so about... ten minutes in, maybe less?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Does Luther require its own thread? I guess not... it was awesome though! People in masks are always terrifying, but the general way it was filmed, combined with the music and overall ambience made the whole thing pretty intense.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What annoys me about Friends is how their friendship itself, especially by the end, just seems so synthetic. Manufactured warmth to make the show more likeable.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone else think it was funny that after a teacher got accused of assault - grabbing/brushing a girl's shoulder - on Educating Essex, an allegation that was taken VERY SERIOUSLY INDEED, at the end they show him swaying gently with his arms round two boys' waists?

Apparently 'side-hugs' are permissible within regulations, but it still seemed quite ironic to me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
loving hell, when that Sam kid started crying on Educating Essex it made ME cry, it was just heartbreaking.

Which means I'm going to be a loving terrible secondary school teacher when I start on Monday :/

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Don't think I've ever wanted to slap someone more than Ashleigh (or whatever the horribly bitchy one was called) on Educating Essex tonight.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone else find Earthflight a bit dull? Although there was some wonderful stuff in there, I just couldn't be arsed to watch it to the end at all. I think Tennant's woefully monotonous narration didn't help.

I don't know if it's because Planet Earth, Life and Frozen Planet have just raised my standards to an unrealistically high degree or something, but for a program that should be so remarkable, it was remarkably unremarkable.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone else enjoying The Hotel? (8pm on Sunday, C4) It's one of my favourite things on telly at the moment; not at all demanding, usually pretty amusing, and manages to depict the brash idiocy of one man without being overly malicious.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just saw a minute long advert for the Beeb's natural history side which was visually a greatest hits compilation of all their footage (good) and was audually David Attenborough doing a spoken word version of "It's a Wonderful World", William Shatner style (terrible).

God, yeah, that Attenborough spoken word thing was dreadful. I sort of wonder how he felt about doing it, because it was just so unbelievably crass.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I haven't watched Egg Heads since I graduated :(

In other news, and I know it was on ages ago, but I just watched the second half of Edwin Drood, and it actually made me genuinely angry how much they ruined it. They built up this really atmospheric, well-crafted and genuinely dark drama and then turned it into a mixture of Midsomer Murders and Downton Abbey in the last fifteen minutes.

Absolutely dreadful.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I only tuned in for a few minutes, but what was with the entire cast of 10 o Clock Live waxing lyrical about how wonderful The Sun is?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

dos4gw posted:

I hope they don't get reprimanded for it, I thought it was a great ad. It was a great episode to start off the series too. Does anyone know where all these gippos get their money from though?

When the program started, I assumed that all the bespoke dresses, parties, weddings, photographers etc were all a fairly rare expense but they are happening all the time and nearly all the families have two or three expensive cars.

There was a girl in Spain who travelled round following her father's 'business interests' so we all know what that means but they can't ALL be stealing things and even if they are, what are they taking that's worth so much?

Sorry for the tangent, it's just been on my mind for the last few days.

Wow.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Mid Morning Matters is one of the densest pieces of comedy I think I've ever seen. There are just SO many funny moments crammed into the like 8 minutes that it's impossible to savour every single one. It's got the same sort of pace as Arrested Development, in a way.

Will the next episodes still be short, or will they be half an hour or whatever? It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain the same pace.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Cerv posted:

first page of google results are no help. what's this?

Guessing he means Homeland (channel 4 at 9pm)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Has Derek been on yet? My main beef with it was getting Karl Pilkington to act in it. I know that he has effectively been playing a caricature of himself since 2003, but it just seems so wrong to have him 'acting'.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I like to imagine that this pilot's just to lull everyone into a false sense of security. The full-length series will just be Gervais making his 'mong-face' and cruelly abusing people with learning disabilities.

It did make me feel pretty teary, but I'm going to blame that on the fact I was on a massive comedown this morning when I watched it. Knowing what Gervais is like, I do find all the pathos a little bit manipulative.

Despite my earlier worries though, I actually thought Karl Pilkington was really pretty good in it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

DemonNick posted:

Are they seriously reviving Yes, Prime Minister? Seriously? This is going to be the worst thing since they revived Red Dwarf.

I'm inclined to agree, but I suppose we've got no idea how much they will update or change the format. 2012 and The Thick of It have shown that there is a public appetite for political(ish) satire, so I suppose it's a logical time to do it.

I can't imagine a way in which it could ever be better than The Thick of It, though, seeing sa TToI is pretty much the best comedy ever, let alone satire.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Al2001 posted:

Just watched the latest Grandma's House, thought it was the best one yet. James Smith's character is such an arsehole, loved the scene where he wanted a hug from Simon.

It was a fantastic episode, although I did find the scene with Clive weeping uncontrollably because he got drunk again a little uncomfortable. Is it right to laugh at alcoholism?

That, coupled with the fact that Grandma is stealing stuff and hiding it under the sink makes this series really pretty dark :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

one based on Alan travelling around Norfolk talking about the places he loves

So 'The Trip' but with Lyn instead of Rob Brydon? I could handle this.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I remember there was an episode in the last series where in the entire half hour, I think they included one contribution from Merton, and it was just him commenting on someone else's joke.

It's a little similar to how Alan Davies got on QI, as well, where it did seem to just be a matter of picking up a paycheck and coasting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Part of the Beeb's London season (AKA their commitment to annoying the regions) was a Natural World on the wildlife of London. An attempt to rip off C4's Springwatch rip off, which was focused entirely on urban foxes. Although it's always nice to see expensive cameras pointed at bird and beast, it's definitely a program to watch on mute. The narrator's script and accompanying soundtrack is uninspired and mawkish. You'd be loving amazed at how diverse London is, with such multiple cultures as pigeons, parakeets and canada geese. It's divided into segments hosted by a hobbiest experts. They presumably contacted the BBC, meaning that they dictate the show's content, rather than a director who'd then source experts. They're a mixed bag, with the nadir being two seperate pensioners who throw food to foxes (or am I alone in finding that gross and creepy?), but the weirdo describing (with voices) the courtship of pigeons deserves special mention. They even took the pigeon v pelican video and broadcast it, intercut with original shots and spooky music playing on top.
Fatally they coyly alluded to terrapins being made fashionable by "a ninja cartoon", when any fule no that they were heroes in Britain.

This is a bit of a tangent, but your first comments about mawkish music reminded me of the Attenborough series/Planet Earth follow-up 'Life'. It's the only Blu-Ray I actually own, and the footage they have is loving gorgeous, but I've never seen a nature doc with such sentimental, over-done and irritating music. The composer seems to want to anthropomorphise (spl) the behaviour of these animals, by, e.g., playing a yearning Spanish guitar melody during the courtship rituals of water-birds, or playing a military march while dolphins catch fish.

Combined with the way that it's directed and narrated, 'Life' tries to cram a human narrative down your throat by taking an almost Karl Pilkinton-esque take on the desires and motivations of animals and it's a real shame, because they filmed so much natural beauty.

Rant over.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I thought True Love was okay, but (again), they seemed to rely on music to fill in the gaps left by the necessarily, sometimes, ambiguous script. Slow ponderous shots of the sea with lyrics generally featuring a message of "LOVE HURTS AND IS SAD BUT SOMETIMES ITS GREAT AND IT'S DANGEROUS OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY" just left me kind of irritated.

I also found that several of the plots were just too similar: Unhappy marriage -> one half of couple embarks on flighty romance -> other half is sad -> unhappiness prevails -> end.

I did really like some of the effects of the improvised dialogue though, it did all feel very naturalistic, and I'd like to see the idea played with more on television.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
If the Partridge program last night was a Peartree Productions programme, over which presumably Alan would have full control, why did he leave in the bits which made him look like an idiot? Hey?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What the gently caress is that 'Python' advert for 'BBC3 experimental comedy'? It's neither experimental nor comic, and I hate whichever smug cunts were involved in any part of its creation.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ein Bear posted:

The sheer volume of Olympic adverts is starting to get to me. I'm fed up of hearing a load of sappy bollocks about ~DREAMS~

I find the MacDonalds one particularly nauseating, as it's been like two weeks since they were airing their Euro 2012 one.

gently caress you, MacDonalds, you're not the voice of the nation.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I've started watching Eastenders pretty regularly since I moved in with my girlfriend... it's watchable enough, but gently caress does it move slowly. Two plots, in particular, both involving babies: one girl was pregnant for ages, and was just repeatedly breaking her curfew, with no real development, for loving AGES, but she's finally given birth now.

Another woman is stuck in some baby clinic in hospital, crying and telling people to gently caress off and wishing her husband was there, and he periodically comes back then they get in a row and he leaves and the process starts again.

Just get a move on!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Haha. Well done Danny Boyle. You know you did something right when stuff like this starts appearing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2180124/Olympics-opening-ceremony-NHS-disgracefully-glorified.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

loving hell, this is one of the most repugnant articles I've ever read. Yes, the NHS does gently caress up sometimes, but surely you undermine yourself by then dismissing 'banana republics and far-flung destinations nobody has ever heard of or even cares for'.

And then snorting with derision at the idea of being able to find an 'educated white middle class mother and black father living together in a happy family.'

It literally makes me angry, and not even in the usual 'angry lefty forums poster' kind of way.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What I found strange was how the Northern one had this epiphany where he realised that in order to be a successful Tory, he had to completely hide and abandon all of his roots and his past, and it brought him to tears.

But rather than decide that this is because the Conservative party is the party of rich, privelleged, snobbish wankers and either leaving or defecting to a different party, he sticks with the people who bully and ignore him, albeit from a more outside-pissing-in position.

He seemed like an immensely intelligent bloke, he just needed to be steered in a different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Could you Bake-Off fans make a separate thread? I can't be arsed to sift through hundreds of posts about it every day; I had to do it last year and it made me VERY CROSS.