Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Jonathan Ross there, the man with more telescopes than sense"

I'm starting to think that every science show should be presented by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. (or at least a double act of nerdy-presenter plus presentable-nerd) They just seem to have so much passion for what they're talking about and are clearly enjoying it, but they don't let that interrupt the actually content.

You've listened to Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 right? Brian Cox pairs with Robin Ince there, and they get some good guests on. Doesn't seem to be any on iPlayer right now, but they podcast it so you can just add it to your RSS feed or iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

10 O'Clock Live trailer

Not sure you can take much away from that on what the show will actually be like, but still funny.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Muppetjedi posted:

She's pregnant.

Secretly inseminated by Andrew Collings no doubt.

The spoof Brian Cox thing is great, reminds me of the old Fast Show "Brilliant!" bits.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Richard Ayoade had a really good role in the Might Boosh radio show, which anyone who liked the first series of the TV show should listen to. I think you can also find YouTube videos of him playing Dixon Banebridge before Matt Berry did it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

For people interested in such things, Frankie Boyle just bitched out Mark Watson on Twitter for being a sellout "selling cider to his teenage fans" because of comments Watson made on his blog in April or so. Frankie Boyle cashes cheques from Rupert Murdoch.

Yeah, don't think I like him any more.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

http://www.markwatsonthecomedian.com/web/2010/04/11/a-light-hearted-look-at-downs-syndrome/ is the blog post in question if people are interested. Frankie Boyle posted a comment on the blog today, quoted below.

I must say, Frankie Boyle is not only unfunny, he is a hypocritical oval office too.

I also don't think he read the next one, where Watson stresses that he doesn't take issue with Boyle, he was very even-handed. What on earth does Boyle think he's doing digging this up after so long?

In more positive news, because we do get awfully negative in here, and I didn't help bring up that Boyle nonsense, Richard Herring won the Pod Delusion's Comedian of the Year award, there's a nice interview with him at the beginning of the show.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Fair enough then. Definitely a bit of pot-kettle-black going on there.

Watson has responded, doesn't want to pick a fight and gives Boyle a big out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Akuma posted:

I don't really get the "selling cider to teenagers" thing... Is it selling to teenagers just by virtue of being cider? It's hardly youth-centred, is it?

Maybe Boyle is generalizing Watson's fans as all teenagers? Maybe it's some kneejerk reaction based on his previous alcoholism?

Anyway, there is a Penn and Teller special on at 9 tonight if anyone feels like braving ITV.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it depends on the person and what they are advertising. Carol Vorderman advertising dodgy loan companies annoyed me because she is heralded as some kind of mathematical mastermind and a lot of the target audience of Countdown would see her as a trustable expert due to the nature of the show. But Stephen Fry advertising tea doesn't bother me at all and doesn't make me feel like he is selling out or anything.

That's at least partly because the Twinnings product isn't loving deplorable

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Men Who Stare at Goats is on iPlayer if anyone missed it, well worth a look IMO, even with Ewan McGregor's rubbish American accent (even though the real-world author is British)

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Raeg posted:

Ian Hislop.

I'm really not sure about that, maybe "little 'c'" conservative, but I'm pretty sure he said he doesn't vote, and he seems to have as much disdain for the Tories as anyone.

And we've all thought of the joke about him being a "little c" thank you.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wafflecop posted:

That is an incredible thing to read out of context, it's what got me to click the link. Didn't prepare me for the title of the series though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Padje posted:

I wouldn't think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0&

Also that magazine he published with the two butterfly dudes kissing on the cover.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Brit Awards is on now on ITV, if you can stomach James Cordon.

Could this scream "don't watch me" any louder?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

thehustler posted:

As far as I could tell, the voice of Wo-Gan was done by Peter Serafinowicz. He's known for doing a VERY good impression of him, and has done it on panel shows and the like.

That's what I thought, but he wasn't credited as far as I could see (David Mitchell and the DJ guy, who evidently was really a DJ, were). Don't think it sounded like Rob Brydon's. I think Brooker and Serafinowicz move in the same circles though so that seems most likely.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Question about TV licensing, just found ours is coming up, but we're moving out soon after so I don't really want to pay all the money. I have a TV but only really use it as a monitor and for my 360, and don't have an aerial plugged into it (and I'm in Cambridge where indoor aerials are useless anyway) do I even need a licence?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't think so, no. You need some kind of receiving equipment in order to be obliged to get a license.

OK, though I do own an indoor aerial and have it in a box here, it is, as I say, useless, and there is an aerial on the room with an outlet in the living room, thought I've obviously not run a lead from there, still good?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kin posted:

Why would you like Lily Allen if you havent listened to either of her albums?

Why would you like Lily Allen if you had listened to any of her albums?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is everyone listening to So Wrong It's Right? I know there's a lot of Brooker love here but maybe you aren't looking for it since it's radio. Not done with the episode yet but it's worth it for David Schneider's rant about the Orange ads in cinemas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

meme posted:

So what's this I vaguely remember from watching tv stoned last night about a Spaced remake? I swear I saw a trailer for "Spaced", a sitcom in a flat, but with different actors. Is this a thing and when does it happen?

US version maybe? Do yourself a favour and don't YouTube that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Red Dwarf was never really that great anyway, I loved it as a kid but re watched it recently and a lot of it was quite cringe inducing.

It should be put away, or failing that just reboot with a new cast and writing staff.

Pretty much this, a lot of it was pretty one-note. I think there was a period around series 3-4 that it was strong, then it just dived and dived. It's like the Simpsons sped up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

pisshead posted:

Kevin Bridges on HIGNFY, I'm pretty sure he made that dog poo poo joke on another show last week.

That happens all the time, if a stand-up sees a chance to fit some existing material in there they will take it. They are essentially advertising their live shows and DVDs, remember.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lurchibles posted:

It's expected I guess. I do feel bad for comics because they can play the same show every night at a theatre/comedy club, but the moment they make a joke on TV it's dead and can't be used again!

Well for a specific instance Jimmy Carr on HIGNFY last series I think, said "People with Tourette's; what makes them tic?" which I knew was previosuly in one of his routines since I had it on DVD, so the joke was already "done with" since he'd finished the tour and committed it to DVD, he just got a little extra mileage from it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Would you like to come to my party pom pom? It's a poo-poo party.

Geh ready to do a poo pom-pom!

I don't know if you're referencing this week's Adam and Joe or Psychoville, doesn't really matter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I still maintain that Allo, Allo! is one of the quintessential British sitcoms. It has the right amount of silly accents, men in dresses and innuendo for anyone not to find sone of it funny.

And recurring gags and catchphrases that it absolutely hammers into the molten core of the earth. And an ambiguously gay chap.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

birmingha posted:

All the more reason for him to be there. Stew is on good terms with him as well as Jimmy Carr, Al Murray and Frank Skinner (saw him at the 'At Last! The 1981 Show' last Monday) and he's ripped the piss out of all them at some point.

Not seen what he said about Skinner or Watson, but in Carr's case he said if you're writing jokes Jim Davidson can steal you're doing something wrong, before acknowledging that Carr was saying something misogynistic ironically ("which Davidson could then misappropriate at face value") and with Murray he was mocking a subset of his fan-base, who's existence is acknowledged by Murray whilst out of character, who don't take what The Pub Landlord says with a sense of irony, and see that he's critiquing what they think he's celebrating.

And after Boyle shot his mouth last year, I just don't think Watson holds grudges anyway.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just what does Adam say/bellow at the end of his Travelin' Tales jingle on The Adam and Joe show? "All aboard-" something. It's like being shot in the face with fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ah, okay, maybe that was sampled then, it does sound like a voice Adam could do though. Show is a bit before my time by the look of it but I remember reading a comic version in that as a kid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

NaDy posted:

If the Queen doesn't say "Lorra lorra Blinda Data socha lorry couple Surprise Surprise! Knight to see you, to see you, knighta Chock! If you cou' be knighta, wot coind wod you be?" when she does it i'll be disappointed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Z-Magic posted:

That sounds like his hilarious appearance on Room 101. I think the chatroom was called 'Beauty's Castle'.

He was "Unabashed".

"I never lied! My glands, they went wrong! In this world of sham marriages, truly are we not the honest ones?"

"I'll be in the turret!"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Why be denny different? Why?

aright bruv is it okay if I bite your leg and face I love you

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

The producers of QI seem quite content with their format of just having the same comedians rotating around on it every week. I miss the charm of the earlier series where every week they'd have someone whos intelligent enough to answer several of the questions correctly.

I don't think there's any danger of real panellist stagnation, Ross Noble had never been on before last series, and this next one we are getting Brian Blessed and Ben Goldacre for the first times, that I know of.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Smeep posted:

Is there anything similar to Mock the Week/HIGNFY airing currently? (I know Mock is on, but that's the only one I can find.) Current events/comedy panelist/quizy type thing?

David Walliams' Wall of Fame on Sky is described as a "Newsey Quizzy Gossipy thing" but I'm not going to watch it. It has Jack Dee on it though.

There's always Dave if you don't mind how "current" the events are.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

thehustler posted:

Utter Shambles is back in a week or so.

I saw Robin Ince on Twitter earlier saying he wanted Kevin Spacey on.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

A one-off of Absolute Power (getting News Corp as clients) would be great too.

Any amount of new Absolute Power for any reason would be amazing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Did anyone watch Dragons Den last night? The new Dragon looks pretty much like a real life Cruella De Vil.

Those are shoulderpads right? Because she just looks wrong on the ads. Like, misassembled. She also seemed to have the posture of a zombie.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Better actors have been in worse films for :10bux:

You're basically talking about Ben Kingsley aren't you?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

It's also worth noting that Atomic Kitten actually did better after Kerry left.

Did they all get their jobs at the Co-op back?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Smeep posted:

I'm confused. Is there not going to be a real Big Brother, or is it just Celebrity Big Brother?

The level of "celebrity" on the show will soon make the two indistinguishable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Something about his face in profile makes him look like the sports guy from Anchorman.

"Whamey!"

Edit: I want to be clear I am in no way suggesting that that is the funniest thing about that picture.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 25, 2011