Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

thehustler posted:

A license fee is not a unique thing to the UK in any way, but I am not sure whether the license fees in other countries go directly to their state broadcasters in the way it does here.

Remember, a lot of state broadcasters, even though they may receive money from taxation, also do show adverts.

"Due to the unique way the BBC is funded" is a catchphrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Miranda is back for a second series in October. It got about 3 million viewers a night in its original run. I watched every episode and every repeat, trying to find why it was so popular. I can't see how any human could like it, it's like a dated 1970s lovely sitcom.

It's honest and unchallenging. Miranda Hart is charming as gently caress. The dated style from simpler times appeals to older viewers (see also: The IT Crowd).

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

bhlaab posted:

Yeah, but our "tough-talking" daytime personalities are judges, large black men, or both. We don't dig a foetus out of Ryan Seacrest's homosexual anus and then try to say he's a badass.

Look I'm not saying American programming has got any less amount of classist poverty-bashing, but at least we try to hide the fact.

He has a microphone for shouting people down and some massive bodyguards for not getting punched out, why would he even need to be a badass? What gave you the idea that anyone thinks he is?

Is no one worth listening to in America unless they can beat you up or send you to jail? Wasn't it Jerry Springer who popularised the whole format? Who is Ryan Seacrest? I don't care.

Edit: these aren't questions you need to answer, I'm just saying you're looking at it wrong

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 8, 2010

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I don't like Walk on the Wild Side, but I do appreciate being able to scroll through iPlayer and see phrases such as "Richard E Grant is an angry camel".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Psybro posted:

That was funny and the Lucas Japanese bit did get a guilty laugh out of me. I also like Walliams as the husband in the Disney bit. The rest of it was bad but actually not as bad or as racist as Little Britain's recent output.

I haven't seen Little Britain in years but are you saying it's now more racist than the lazy thieving blackface lady or the part where they were literally pulling slanty eyes and singing ching chong?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I want to believe that all the talk of Matt LeBlanc's enormous cock in Episodes was an extra meta-layer for the jokes about actors dictating the script, but probably not. It's watchable but I was hoping for more from pretty much everyone involved.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FreakyZoid posted:

No, you're right. I actually don't understand that. I know bankers are money-grabbing cunts out to get everything they can. Is comedians constantly plucking this low-hanging fruit enriching my life in some way, or teaching me some deeper truth?

Topical satire can be more than just making the same joke over and over again.

Someone needs to talk bankers into the ground until no one cares anymore because no one can do much about it but the government, and politicians are only concerned with things that are old and retarded.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

DaWolfey posted:

I read that as sarcasm. It is sarcasm, right?

Have you never heard of mumsnet

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Between the horrid posters and the immediately-debunked £250m quote, I don't understand why the no campaign even exists if they're having to make up their entire platform out of thin air. Are they just being contrary?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

chazzared posted:

A bit late to the table on this, I know, but that guy from News of the World on Ten O'Clock Live is an unscrupulous oval office of the worst order

Absolutely. The way he kept rolling his eyes at the camera like "ugh someone's calling me out on being a loving sociopath AGAIN", I could have punched the TV.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Brainwrong posted:

David Mitchell comes across as a scared amateur

That's just his normal facial expression! He's been getting steadily better at interviews and "Listen to Mitchell" is usually way better than last night's.

I'd say the only really weak link is Jimmy Carr, but maybe we've all just lowered our standards because despite the simple format there's nothing else like it on TV right now.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

None of this is exclusive to any particular show, once a TV IV thread has "regulars" it's pretty hopeless trying to edge in a conversation.

I enjoyed tonight's Doctor Who but I'm just the kind of nerd it was pandering to. The drawing on the face thing is funny, I didn't even notice how silly that was.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Wasn't too impressed by Archer last year but this season has been absolutely incredible, everyone should give it a shot.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ScipioAfro posted:

Who want to be a millionaire was the first time I remember this, (i'm 21, so i guess there might be an obvious first show that did this for older people), but I swear I remember a really knowing 'ohoh look how silly it is to stretch out the answer like this' that the show has. The loving ridiculousness of it seems to go over a lot of people's heads these days.

Yes, definitely. WWTBAM set up the whole phoney atmosphere, but then they at least sped through the first round of questions to get to the ones that warranted a bit of tension. The audience and contestants would laugh when Tarrant gave a long pause and then said "we'll find out after the break! v :) v".

Now you have enormous close-ups of the contestants and their family weeping a little, it's scored like the end of the world, and then after a while someone whispers "we'll find out after the break... :ohdear:" and everyone literally shrieks like they're dying. What is wrong with these people.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

I don't know if it was atrocious, but to me it was always just... there. Like Lexx and Babylon 5 and large chunks of Stargate, I personally didn't really care one way or the other about it.

It's very much like these shows in that it's really supposed to be watched in sequence, but most people would only catch loose episodes (usually the mega-bad ones, every TV sci-fi show has them and BBC2 fuckin' loves to air them) and have no idea what was going on beyond the narrated intro. The goofy effects and dialogue mask some pretty serious development from episode to episode.

Not to say that everyone should go watch it all right now, it's just maybe worth more than a one-sentence write-off if you're into sci-fi.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

No, Gaius Baltar!!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Sion posted:

I hate getting out of work when it's dark can I blame the tories for that too?

They are actually working on making this worse right now with the proposed move to permanent GMT+1 time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oh whoops, I didn't even have it the right way round! It's for darker mornings, not evenings.

Blame the tories for sinking the typical level of British political discourse below fact checking.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I really didn't like it at all, but I still have hope that they can do a better job writing a series instead of an "event".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Firing Cirrus posted:

I loved the messed up logic that the punishment for a person getting fat was to take them away from the exercise bikes and if they got really fat then it appeared that they were force fed cakes on a gameshow.

"When you get the cheap lardy gunk you end up having to pedal it off, then you want more sugar, then you're playing catch up and I... I've been there, it's a vicious... it's a vicious circle."

It's debt, and the vilification and exploitation of the poor.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

MisterLizard posted:

The whole 2011 review show came across as a kind of smug Guardian-reading media-savvy commentary on the year's events.

It's a commentary on the year's events by a media-savvy Guardian columnist, what did you expect

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

4od is completely infuriating, the only good thing about it is that you don't have to use it because everything's mirrored on Youtube.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Quanta posted:

There are two types of women in Moffat's Sherlock: the cunning Irene Adler, and the regular, pathetic, unremarkable female that exists only for Sherlock Holmes to belittle.

How many men does Sherlock not belittle?

Are the women regular and unremarkable, or pathetic?

Is there any specific reason you decided to bring this up?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dr Who. I fell asleep for much of the middle and have no idea what it was about.

Here's a recap:

Bill Bailey is causing mass deforestation, the trees dump their soul power in the mom from Outnumbered, everything resolves itself and it's christmas.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4O8tKbKNRY

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jollzwhin posted:

If you watch 4oD with an adblocker on you are adding to the problem, VoD services are struggling enough financially as it is.

If you watch 4oD at all you're adding to the problem, which is that Channel 4 doesn't know it's unusable dogshit and they should just get on with moving it all to Youtube.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

What the flying gently caress was that

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

DemonNick posted:

It's stuck around despite very low ratings because, like a lot of genre television, it can fill a slot on Friday or Saturday night that was never going to get good ratings.

Probably doesn't hurt that it stars Rupert Murdoch's niece, either.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The Jimmy Carr sketch about the Olympics budget should have ended after the first line. It took me by surprise, I laughed, but then he spent several minutes explaining the joke. They seem to think everything needs to be a "segment" when he and Lauren obviously do much better with one-liners (eg. "horses are loving massive").

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I got his standup DVD on the strength of Grandma's House and was really disappointed. It mostly covers the same ground, and without the sitcom premise it's harder to write off certain annoying traits as being exaggerated for a character.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Still haven't watched the last one. Have it recorded, but forgot about it.

Incidentally, it's about watching and recording things you remember.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I kind of hope they write out The Fucker, I don't think he worked very well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Didn't like it, the Lib Dems were poo poo, the Tories struggled to carry it. Glen's justification for still being around was clumsy and he's already done this whole irrelevance arc at least twice. Best part was Terri trying to get fired, worst part was the presentation scene. Didn't they used to cut out the cringeworthy parts and just give us the reactions?