Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like this is from Jan 1st but but I haven't seen the chart here (or anywhere else) before:

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel-1st-gen-core-ultra-meteor-lake-beats-amds-ryzen-7000-cpus-at-ultra-low-power/

It's just SPECint so dunno how much you can extrapolate from that. But there are a few interesting things here

• E-cores are in fact significantly more efficient at any reasonable power. ~4W isn't even that low - that'd be 16w for a cluster of 4 E-cores.
  • LP-E cores are somehow way, way worse? I get that they're not designed for heavy number crunching so I'd expect low performance, but how is it even running at >5W?
  • P-cores never seem to out-perform the 7840U even though other reviews showed them to scale better with power and exceed AMD over around 28-30W total power
  • What the hell are LP P-cores!? That's the first time I'm hearing of such a thing and the source tweet doesn't mention it. As far as I know all the P-cores on the compute tile are the same but maybe not. They seem to be barely any different so I'm nto sure what the point even is

I have many reservations about this chart. I don't understand why the LP E-cores which specifically do not turn on most of the die would possibly have a higher base platform wattage, it makes zero sense.

I'd also be curious to see the M1 Max P and E cores represented, and the M2 and M3 would be even better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the chart is very sus. But I haven't seen anything else this detailed elsewhere so far. The chips and cheese I posted earlier doesn't get into efficiency at all.

Lunar Lake-MX is going to have on-package memory it seems: https://www.techpowerup.com/318362/intel-lunar-lake-mx-to-embed-samsung-lpddr5x-memory-on-soc-package
Which is probably perfectly fine if they do end up with the 16 and 32gb options for the ultra-thin premium market.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1757319327680762086?t=mdagls-PsavJzYU-2p9HtQ&s=19

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
With a boost TDP of up to 410 watts! 410 WATTS

I don’t even wanna get on a soapbox about it, put that thing on a circuit with an RTX 4090, the rest of the PC, and any goddamned thing else and it’ll trip the breaker. This is the industry as self-parody.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

I don’t even wanna get on a soapbox about it, put that thing on a circuit with an RTX 4090, the rest of the PC, and any goddamned thing else and it’ll trip the breaker. This is the industry as self-parody.

"fifteen amps ought to be enough for anybody" - pat gelsinger

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

It'll have a PL2 ("boost TDP") of 253w like every other i9, and you're allowed to turn that off and make a big number screenshotting a transient in HWINFO because you told it to boost as hard as it physically can.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a headline like this for every past Intel CPU launch and it's exactly as meaningful now as in the past.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is Arrow Lake going to be more efficient? Thinking about a new Intel build, but I don't want to run something like a metal smelter in my room.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bubbacub posted:

Is Arrow Lake going to be more efficient? Thinking about a new Intel build, but I don't want to run something like a metal smelter in my room.

BurritoJustice is empirically correct, you can always thump sense into the BIOS and keep the machine from opportunistically juicing itself to magma chamber simulation mode. But Christ on a crutch, I get tired of these stunt gently caress product releases.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Because flagship mainboards shipping with unlimited power defaults, and people running their Intel CPUs unlimited because they have to compensate for other shortcomings never happened, oh no.

I'm also looking forward to the userbenchmark entry for this CPU.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

new thread title

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

The rumour is that the new PL2 for ARL is 177w, and we know it's a very large node jump from RPL.

It remains to be seen if the IPC gain is going to be enough to balance out the massive loss of clocks that is inevitably going to come from leaving the extremely mature Intel 7, but it'll definitely be more efficient.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kazinsal posted:

repiv posted:

new thread title

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

To be fair the NEC should have switched to requiring 20A circuits on residential outlets a long time ago, especially with how US tract home builders construct.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Out of curiosity what’s the idle power usage like on the big chips? I know the smaller ones can shunt down to single digit wattage, but there’s a gap in my knowledge about newer big P/E core designs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Out of curiosity what’s the idle power usage like on the big chips? I know the smaller ones can shunt down to single digit wattage, but there’s a gap in my knowledge about newer big P/E core designs.

Do you mean server chips, or P cores, or what? Here's a good look at current Intel power scaling: https://chipsandcheese.com/2022/01/28/alder-lakes-power-efficiency-a-complicated-picture/.

The P cores can also scale down to under 5W for a cluster of 4 cores, but they are slower than E cores at that same power. P cores scan scale up to ridiculous power consumption and keep eking out some gains, which is why Intel is shoving crazy power into them. If by "big chips" you mean server chips, basically every server chip is running at dramatically lower watts per core than desktop is. Desktop is juiced out the rear end, you can get 64 P core server chips at a similar wattage to 8+16 desktop chips. Intel is about to ship 288 core server chips within a few months, and there's still a wall where it's incredibly difficult to cool chips that are >350W so I bet it'd be under 350W for those 288 cores.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you mean server chips, or P cores, or what? Here's a good look at current Intel power scaling: https://chipsandcheese.com/2022/01/28/alder-lakes-power-efficiency-a-complicated-picture/.

The P cores can also scale down to under 5W for a cluster of 4 cores, but they are slower than E cores at that same power. P cores scan scale up to ridiculous power consumption and keep eking out some gains, which is why Intel is shoving crazy power into them. If by "big chips" you mean server chips, basically every server chip is running at dramatically lower watts per core than desktop is. Desktop is juiced out the rear end, you can get 64 P core server chips at a similar wattage to 8+16 desktop chips. Intel is about to ship 288 core server chips within a few months, and there's still a wall where it's incredibly difficult to cool chips that are >350W so I bet it'd be under 350W for those 288 cores.

Thank you for this! Originally by “big” I meant consumer 1x700+ chips, but the server chip info is super helpful. I guess I just get frustrated by the power gap between the lower-clocked many core chips and the gamer market stuff, but that’s my thing to deal with. Thanks again!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Thank you for this! Originally by “big” I meant consumer 1x700+ chips, but the server chip info is super helpful. I guess I just get frustrated by the power gap between the lower-clocked many core chips and the gamer market stuff, but that’s my thing to deal with. Thanks again!

You don't have to run the gamer market stuff at uncapped wattage, and for gaming loads in particular you will lose very, very little performance by limiting them to 125W, which is hot but not crazy. By Intel's MSRP prices you should even be able to save a buck by buying a 14700 instead of a 14700K, but in the real world the K chips always end up cheaper despite having a higher MSRP for mysterious reasons.

If you want to see more power scaling info for whole chips with benchmarks, Anandtech looked at that too: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17641/lighter-touch-cpu-power-scaling-13900k-7950x/4. It's actually pretty remarkable how much benefit the desktop Intel chips get from more power, because most chips around this size stop seeing higher clocks when you juice them past 150W, but these guys are actually able to use it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Canned Sunshine posted:

To be fair the NEC should have switched to requiring 20A circuits on residential outlets a long time ago, especially with how US tract home builders construct.

240v circuits to home offices seems inevitable at this rate

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 14, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HalloKitty posted:

Just lol if you don't have your desktop connected to your Dryer outlet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

In more advanced countries this has been the norm for quite some time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think it’s cool that intel releases these KS skus, which are basically just the old Extreme Editions all over again.

Are they laughable? Yes? Are they efficient? lol no. Are they worth the price for anyone that cares about money? Hell no. But that’s explicitly not the point. In a post-overlocking world, they feel like an anachronism.

(And yes I know it’s just the golden samples getting held back off the line)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If I was mega rich I'd probably enjoy trying to get the lowest undervolt for a given clock speed and have multiple profiles (for no reason at all).

Golden bins sound great for getting 5.8 all core at minus 200mv offset or whatever.

Meanwhile here I am with nothing to my name, wondering why I never win the silicon lottery and why my 12600k can't seem to do all core* 5ghz on the stock vf curve.

*The penis cores obv

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 15, 2024

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
So that's what the P stands for

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HalloKitty posted:

when you say "home offices" are you talking about gamer dens? because i'm pretty sure the number of WFH positions that can't be serviced by a 15A 120V breaker is absolutely tiny

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
and even then this is still only impacting the upper, what, 1%? 0.1%? of all PC gamers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my entire desk with 3 monitors, my work PC, dock, my gaming desktop along with misc chargers and such aren't drawing anywhere close to what my toaster oven in the kitchen draws by itself.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

when you say "home offices" are you talking about gamer dens? because i'm pretty sure the number of WFH positions that can't be serviced by a 15A 120V breaker is absolutely tiny

Tell that to half my damned users who smuggle a space heater under their desk.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You don't need that space heater if you've got a modern i9 and top end GPU. Think of the savings!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

that doesn't sound like a home office problem

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

My PC is the space heater.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My PC is both a space heater and my fruit dehydrator

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A lot of US tract home builders have multiple rooms (plus lighting) serviced by a single 15A breaker, so it's not quite that crazy to want 220/240v instead...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

that doesn't sound like a home office problem

You obviously don't have friends with a wife who is perpetually cold. My buddy's wife has four god damned space heaters under various desks and cubbies, specifically so her feet don't get cold when she's sitting there.

I kinda want a 20A/240 twistlock outlet for my computery poo poo, not because it needs it, but because twistlock is pretty great.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

You obviously don't have friends with a wife who is perpetually cold. My buddy's wife has four god damned space heaters under various desks and cubbies, specifically so her feet don't get cold when she's sitting there.

I kinda want a 20A/240 twistlock outlet for my computery poo poo, not because it needs it, but because twistlock is pretty great.

jesus christ how loving hot does that room get with four loving space heaters blasting :psyduck:

Canned Sunshine posted:

A lot of US tract home builders have multiple rooms (plus lighting) serviced by a single 15A breaker, so it's not quite that crazy to want 220/240v instead...

there's no way a tiny minority of people buying/building monster PCs are going to register in the minds of tract home builders looking to do the absolute minimum cheapest build

i'm not here trying to say "120V is superior to 240V" i just think it's ridiculous to think ultra top-end pc builds are going to make additional 240V residential circuits in the US "inevitable"

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also you aren't seriously going to exceed the 1440W sustained limit of a 15A circuit with a single PC on pretty much anything short of LN2 cooling during an extreme overclocking attempt. Yes, this is the "Intel: lol" thread, but the hottest GPU you can get combined with the hottest Intel CPU you can get will still struggle to even reach 1 kW when assembled as an otherwise ordinary air cooled high end gaming PC.

Now the PC and the 12,000 BTU window air conditioner it takes to keep it from baking you combined might start to spell trouble for a single 15A circuit.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jesus christ how loving hot does that room get with four loving space heaters blasting :psyduck:

there's no way a tiny minority of people buying/building monster PCs are going to register in the minds of tract home builders looking to do the absolute minimum cheapest build

i'm not here trying to say "120V is superior to 240V" i just think it's ridiculous to think ultra top-end pc builds are going to make additional 240V residential circuits in the US "inevitable"

They're not all in the same room. She has one under her little sewing desk, one under her working desk, one under the coffee table in her little reading nook, and one in the bedroom. She's also like 5 foot nothing and 120 pounds soaking wet. Every few months she learns which outlets are on the same circuit by blowing the breaker trying to air fry lunch with the reading nook heater going.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also you aren't seriously going to exceed the 1440W sustained limit of a 15A circuit with a single PC on pretty much anything short of LN2 cooling during an extreme overclocking attempt. Yes, this is the "Intel: lol" thread, but the hottest GPU you can get combined with the hottest Intel CPU you can get will still struggle to even reach 1 kW when assembled as an otherwise ordinary air cooled high end gaming PC.

Now the PC and the 12,000 BTU window air conditioner it takes to keep it from baking you combined might start to spell trouble for a single 15A circuit.

Yeah my crappy apartment has one circuit for the entire living room and the window AC unit is there. I just don't turn it on and game without pants on instead of turning the AC on (saves a lot on power too IMO)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Shipon posted:

Yeah my crappy apartment has one circuit for the entire living room and the window AC unit is there. I just don't turn it on and game without pants on instead of turning the AC on (saves a lot on power too IMO)

I got a commercial fan and keep my AC set to 79 or so and that was a good compromise of comfort and energy use I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

And that post wasn't to imply otherwise; tract home builders are going to do the cheapest possible thing, which currently still means as many rooms as they can reasonably fit on a single 15A circuit, because that's what NEC allows.

It was more along the lines of "As power draw continues to climb for desktop systems, it'll likely put stress on cheap construction at times with all the other loads that can be expected and it'll become more noticeable.".

240V residential circuits in the US will never occur as a common practice until NEC or another body mandates it.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also you aren't seriously going to exceed the 1440W sustained limit of a 15A circuit with a single PC on pretty much anything short of LN2 cooling during an extreme overclocking attempt.

Then why did Apple ship the 2019 Mac Pros with 1.4 kW power supplies? :smug:

But more seriously, again, this isn't about a single PC or even two PCs on a single 15A circuit; it's about 3-4 people all running their own various poo poo, on a single 15A circuit, because that's how the cheap rear end home builder constructed it. And that could very well throw a breaker, because I've seen it happen personally.

Edit:

Also, a 12,000 BTU unit is around the point where a dedicated 220/240V circuit and probably 30A breaker should be used anyway; I wouldn't trust living anywhere where a window unit that size is on a 15A circuit. Some manufacturers get away with it because they're using inverters but ehhhhhhhh...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 21, 2024