Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Huh, I've generally seen that the one good thing about homes built in the last 20-30 years has been ample circuits.

You want to see a whole lot of rooms working off a single 15a breaker, try living in an old house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Klyith posted:

Huh, I've generally seen that the one good thing about homes built in the last 20-30 years has been ample circuits.

You want to see a whole lot of rooms working off a single 15a breaker, try living in an old house.

I just went through this in my 63 year old house - the microwave was on the same circuit as the whole living room, so if you wanted to use it while you ran the vacuum cleaner, oops! The breaker would trip! We had the panel redone and brought up to code, and a dedicated circuit added for the microwave, and things are generally a lot more stable and predictable now. If only the power company would do something about the haggard-rear end power line outside my house...

Also, what's up with Intel and SiFive? I expected news about the P550 board last summer, what mayhem has ensued in RISC-V land?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Ihmemies posted:

In more advanced countries this has been the norm for quite some time.

Nah, the future are clearly 3phase 400V 16A outlets, going full triangle. 1p 230v is so 2000s.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 21, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hasturtium posted:

I just went through this in my 63 year old house - the microwave was on the same circuit as the whole living room, so if you wanted to use it while you ran the vacuum cleaner, oops! The breaker would trip! We had the panel redone and brought up to code, and a dedicated circuit added for the microwave, and things are generally a lot more stable and predictable now. If only the power company would do something about the haggard-rear end power line outside my house...

Also, what's up with Intel and SiFive? I expected news about the P550 board last summer, what mayhem has ensued in RISC-V land?

The end of zirp comes for us all.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Intel announced a new product roadmap that includes a 14A node, the first to use high-NA EUV machines: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...emains-on-track

There are some other interesting bits of info in the article.

quote:

Five nodes in four years remains on track.
Intel’s 20A and 18A come with both GAA (PowerVia) and the backside power delivery network (BSPDN), Intel will have backside power delivery two and a half years before TSMC and will also beat TSMC to market with GAA by a year and a half.
14A will mark Intel Foundry as being the first foundry to use the most advanced High-NA EUV lithography machines, with TSMC reportedly waiting until 2030 to adopt the new tools. High-NA will certainly not be an inexpensive path, and an industry report indicates it isn’t as cost effective as using Low-NA EUV with dual patterning. Intel is confident that the cost metrics align within its expectations, but naturally, says it would adjust strategy if needed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat once 14A is here, people will definitely need a dedicated circuit for their computer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

drat once 14A is here, people will definitely need a dedicated circuit for their computer.

One for the logic and one for cooling, or:

AutismVaccine posted:

Nah, the future are clearly 3phase 400V 16A outlets, going full triangle. 1p 230v is so 2000s.

r/overclocking in 2028: “Unbalanced delta in prime95, but ok during gaming is it ok for 24/7?”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Why's that?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

14 angstroms vs 14 amps.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MarsellusWallace posted:

14 angstroms vs 14 amps.

:doh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm

some more amps ought to fix this

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Strava says I had an average power output of 67W on my bike ride today, and I was like "hey, that's enough for an AMD processor! Gotta push harder for Intel though!"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What's the preferred burn in tool to test if CPU/RAM are actually stable these days? There's no way that it's Prime95 anymore, right?

Also, is Epic telling people to turn their 6ghz processors that they paid very dearly for down to 5.3ghz, a more than 10% loss? I really want to know what's actually going on, do i9s need top-end mobos with a hundred power phases? Are they pushing all-core turbo too high out of the box in a misguided attempt to win benchmarks? It power and cooling a contributing factor?

And finally, I just want to scream at motherboard vendors for defaulting to overclocked settings out of the box, and having to find and change 4 different settings just to run a processor at stock. Why isn't there a single switch for "Run it like Intel validated this 6ghz thing". Intel should be policing their own ecosystem, it's insane that apparently a large number of different motherboards will be unstable with your new shiny i9-14900K.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the preferred burn in tool to test if CPU/RAM are actually stable these days? There's no way that it's Prime95 anymore, right?

Also, is Epic telling people to turn their 6ghz processors that they paid very dearly for down to 5.3ghz, a more than 10% loss? I really want to know what's actually going on, do i9s need top-end mobos with a hundred power phases? Are they pushing all-core turbo too high out of the box in a misguided attempt to win benchmarks? It power and cooling a contributing factor?

And finally, I just want to scream at motherboard vendors for defaulting to overclocked settings out of the box, and having to find and change 4 different settings just to run a processor at stock. Why isn't there a single switch for "Run it like Intel validated this 6ghz thing". Intel should be policing their own ecosystem, it's insane that apparently a large number of different motherboards will be unstable with your new shiny i9-14900K.

This all reminds me very much of the AMD x3D scandal from a little while back where several vendors, and particularly Asus, were caught juicing power carelessly and ended up setting SoC voltage high enough to cause progressive degradation in the space of a few months. There’s a lot of benchmark goosing predicated on strategies - which presumably worked on 14nm - which break down as these chips become engineered to tighter and tighter tolerances. The chips are the stars; the motherboards are commodity products trying to stand out against each other in a saturated market, and outside of pulling in novel features which cost more to implement and impact asking price, it seems there’s less and less room to do that without impacting CPU longevity or system stability.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The AMD mobo vendor SoC voltage thing was likely so that RAM would be more likely to boot at all at advertised XMP settings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

I still like good old prime95 & memtest, because while they're not perfect these days they're at least definitive when they detect a failure. Add OCCT for whole-system stress testing both CPU and GPU at the same time to test power and overall stability.

poo poo is so complex now, and so many of the recent bugs have been "well this one specific operation under these conditions is a problem", that there's no one tool that can prove your system is stable.

Twerk from Home posted:

Also, is Epic telling people to turn their 6ghz processors that they paid very dearly for down to 5.3ghz, a more than 10% loss?

They're telling people to turn down their 6ghz processors to prove that it's not their fault, it's the processor that's hosed.

From there you have to make your own decision -- live with a 10% loss on a CPU that you paid dearly for, get a refund, or do RMA exchanges with Intel until you get a non-faulty CPU.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's not really surprising this is showing up in oodle, it's the perfect storm of extremely dense AVX code with integrity checks at the end that will likely catch any errors

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've got one more thought: Is there a motherboard vendor or product line that one can buy to have it Just Work at stock settings, including Intel's turbo as designed?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got one more thought: Is there a motherboard vendor or product line that one can buy to have it Just Work at stock settings, including Intel's turbo as designed?

doesnt intel sell locked processors still

also for less money lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Worf posted:

doesnt intel sell locked processors still

also for less money lol

The type of overclocking that these boards do all still works on locked processors, I'm sure that if a 14900K is doing it in a board, a 14900 will because they're cranking up the all-core turbo and PL2 power limit to the moon.

Same with memory overclocking, you've been able to do memory overclocking with locked processors for ages, right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

it doesnt seem logical that a locked CPU would prohibit XMP profiles on RAM to me tbh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

"As defined" for Intel's turbo on K processors is very fuzzy. Turbo is "we'll run at 6ghz as long as the motherboard can deliver the juice", but the spec for socket power is based on what a non-K CPU can use, so there's some negotiation involved.

(This is not unique to Intel, though AMD has much less slop these days because they're shoving enough electricity into a CPU to do a DBZ power up montage.)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Worf posted:

it doesnt seem logical that a locked CPU would prohibit XMP profiles on RAM to me tbh

But you're overclocking the memory controller, and it doesn't just allow XMP profiles, you are able to punch in arbitrary clocks, timings, and voltages well beyond JEDEC, while JEDEC support is ostensibly what Intel is selling you.

Buried in the extended documentation for these processors is that if you buy a 14900K and DDR5-6400 RAM and it just doesn't work, you can't warranty that. Intel's spec sheet says that the 14900K supports DDR5-5600 in 1DPC configurations, and DDR5-4400 in 2DPC configurations, at JEDEC timings. Maybe you get lucky and can support faster than that, but it's not on the spec sheet and instability isn't Intels problem if you go faster.

We're just clearly at the point where overclocking is the norm, and mobo / RAM vendors are pushing things well past the realm of stability with the hopes that working "most of the time" will be good enough for their customers. I just wish there were an easy way to opt out.

Edit: Just to highlight another different pile of poo poo in this mess, Intel enabled dynamic memory overclocking a few generations ago: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th/4

I will guarantee you that some motherboard vendors have this on by default, meaning that you've also got RAM dynamically increasing and decreasing its voltages and clocks based on load, and loving it up such that it causes problems.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 23, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

If I had to guess, Supermicro? Seems like it's what their target market would prefer.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I heard they renamed ptd to ftd (foundry technology development)

This has got to be the most braindead org name in a while

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel: Send flowers (lol)

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I mean adding an f in front of a already despised org is really big brain thinking

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1761765330077036875

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Those who know nothing about USB or PCIe don’t think it can be used anywhere
Those who know a little bit about USB or PCIe think it can be used anywhere
Those who know a lot about USB or PCIe are surprised any of this poo poo actually works

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

Those who know a lot about USB or PCIe are surprised any of this poo poo actually works

Lmao, accurate

It’s always funny to me how people forget how much control the system has too ie it has nothing to do with the physical pcie connection that this wifi thing isn’t working, it’s almost definitely the driver checking for some intel only feature and it may not even be something nefarious just that they never tested it on an amd system.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

For those that don’t know, the way you initialize a PCIe/USB WiFi device is you load a random firmware blob from the vendor, then stuff happens and maybe your networking stack will understand it.

Seriously. Here’s all the random vendor firmware in the Linux kernel: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/

Edit: to be clear anything starting with iwlwifi is intel WiFi firmware

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 26, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

WhyteRyce posted:

Excellent post

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest thing about the BE200 is how vendor specific it is. You can literally use basically any Intel processor ever, I saw someone testing it with (iirc) Nehalem and it worked but you can't use it with any AMD CPU ever without it failing to POST.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Someone should try it with some old VIA CPU and see what happens

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently it works on the raspberry pi

https://www.cnx-software.com/2024/02/02/m2-e-key-wifi-7-hat-for-raspberry-pi-5-google-tpu/

sounds like a skill issue on AMDs part

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone have an ampere server they can use for an experiment??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

sounds like a skill issue on AMDs part

The problem here is that AGESA fuckup and WiFi firmware fuckup are both free spaces so we’ll have to wait.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I have an IBM Power9, if anything’s far afield from presumed Intel compatibility I’m probably covered. I’d need an adapter because the machine’s hooked up to Ethernet and doesn’t use WiFi or Bluetooth for anything, but if someone wants to loan me the chip and a PCIe adapter I’ll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
To no one's surprise: https://www.techpowerup.com/319804/intel-reincarnates-altera-as-independent-company-launches-agilex-9-7-5-3-series-fpgas