Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

at what point is the NUC really new still tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Worf posted:

The new part is that it's now more gaudy than ever, after Asus took over.

Personally, I'd hoped they went with something more closely aligned with their ExpertCenter line of devices, like the PN42 - which is a completely fanless system with the N100 processor.

If I can ever afford one, I'd love to get it for a HTPC.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Well, like intel said. New doesn’t always mean best

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://x.com/ghost_motley/status/1744803710834806960?s=20

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beef posted:

It's dumb how good that branding works. There are constantly people saying that their laptop is still good because it's an i7 or i9 without having a clue that there are generations.

My favorite was a Steam user review I saw a few days ago of a somewhat recent Spider-Man game where someone complained about performance. Their included hardware list just claimed their PC specs were way over recommended and then listed "Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz, 16,0GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, SSD 480GB."

The Wikipedia page on i7 CPUs gives 17 results (16 if you ignore the embedded 1255UL having it as the E-core frequency) when searching for processors with a base clock of 2.6 GHz, and it's mostly mobile or embedded CPUs from the i7-3720QM released in 2012 to the i7-13650HX released in 2023.
Given the historical use of the @ to sometimes indicate overclocking/underclocking frequency it could also have a completely different base clock and the user might just be running it at that frequency manually.

The RAM/SSD type or speed not being listed also doesn't help, so I can't even tell for sure if they are on an old desktop or a somewhat more recent laptop by that post :psyduck:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Bofast posted:

My favorite was a Steam user review I saw a few days ago of a somewhat recent Spider-Man game where someone complained about performance. Their included hardware list just claimed their PC specs were way over recommended and then listed "Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz, 16,0GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, SSD 480GB."

The Wikipedia page on i7 CPUs gives 17 results (16 if you ignore the embedded 1255UL having it as the E-core frequency) when searching for processors with a base clock of 2.6 GHz, and it's mostly mobile or embedded CPUs from the i7-3720QM released in 2012 to the i7-13650HX released in 2023.
Given the historical use of the @ to sometimes indicate overclocking/underclocking frequency it could also have a completely different base clock and the user might just be running it at that frequency manually.

The RAM/SSD type or speed not being listed also doesn't help, so I can't even tell for sure if they are on an old desktop or a somewhat more recent laptop by that post :psyduck:

The only i7's that ran that slow (that are not a laptop) is like the first generation 2008-9 Nehalem processors. Sandy and Ivy bridge have nothing that clocks that low at the i7 level.
They're totally on an old desktop, thats over a decade old. Ofc your processor is going to whimp out. I think there is like a 20-30% uplift in performance between the first gen i series and sandy bridge alone, not to mention ivy bridge and everything that comes after it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

The only i7's that ran that slow (that are not a laptop) is like the first generation 2008-9 Nehalem processors. Sandy and Ivy bridge have nothing that clocks that low at the i7 level.
They're totally on an old desktop, thats over a decade old. Ofc your processor is going to whimp out. I think there is like a 20-30% uplift in performance between the first gen i series and sandy bridge alone, not to mention ivy bridge and everything that comes after it.

They could be on something like a 2020 Asus G15, which would also match those specs and should run spider-man fine.

That gets back to Bofast's point that marketing bullshit makes things harder

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It would probably be so much simpler if the games just gave the recommendations as required benchmark results.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saukkis posted:

It would probably be so much simpler if the games just gave the recommendations as required benchmark results.

Do you remember the windows experience index?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Beef posted:

Hats off to the guy on the NUC team that found a Skull Canyon on the map to satisfy the geographic naming convention guidelines.
They make you submit 3 names in case some other team is already using your mountain, a guy I knew tried to name something Ruck-a-Chucky Creek and refused to provide alternatives.

Worf posted:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The new part is that it's now more gaudy than ever, after Asus took over.

Worf posted:

Well, like intel said. New doesn’t always mean best
the N in NUC stands for Next but I understand if y'all are having fun

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Now it's going to be AU for the Absolute Unit.

I don't think this was posted here, but apparently the 14th-gen game optimizer thing APO will cover 14 games soon and will expand to some 13th and 12th gen CPUs as well:
https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-to-roll-out-14th-gens-game-optimization-software-to-older-1213th-gen-hybrid-cpus-after-all/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mobby_6kl posted:

Now it's going to be AU for the Absolute Unit.

I don't think this was posted here, but apparently the 14th-gen game optimizer thing APO will cover 14 games soon and will expand to some 13th and 12th gen CPUs as well:
https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-to-roll-out-14th-gens-game-optimization-software-to-older-1213th-gen-hybrid-cpus-after-all/

As someone that still plays WoW, I gotta say that it's pretty awesome, but also hilarious, that WoW is one of those 14 games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Canned Sunshine posted:

As someone that still plays WoW, I gotta say that it's pretty awesome, but also hilarious, that WoW is one of those 14 games.

I know WoW has gotten graphical revamps and the newer zones are more complex but is it really a demanding game

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
CPU wise, absolutely, at least in raids.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

whereas in FFXIV standing in a crowd of people as it struggles to load all of their glams is harder on the CPU than anything in a raid

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know WoW has gotten graphical revamps and the newer zones are more complex but is it really a demanding game

Yeah, as others said, it can be still demanding CPU-wise.

And while you can generally crank all settings to max with enough of a system, there's even weird stuff here and there that can hit the GPU hard. Liquid details in particular, for some reason, can bring cards to their knees, including the 4090. I'm guessing it's just not well optimized, but it's pretty funny. Generally anything over "Fair" for Liquid Details resulted in a pretty major fps drop, though a 4090 could generally handle it, but still with a pretty noticeable loss, lol.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, as others said, it can be still demanding CPU-wise.

And while you can generally crank all settings to max with enough of a system, there's even weird stuff here and there that can hit the GPU hard. Liquid details in particular, for some reason, can bring cards to their knees, including the 4090. I'm guessing it's just not well optimized, but it's pretty funny. Generally anything over "Fair" for Liquid Details resulted in a pretty major fps drop, though a 4090 could generally handle it, but still with a pretty noticeable loss, lol.

Ah, the GPU salesman graphics option

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Edit: I'm an idiot that meant to post in the GPU thread but since I got a reply, I'm keeping it to avoid even more confusion.

I'm assuming a 4070Ti Super will do great with a VR headset with the current MSFS, but are there any takers about how that might change with the oncoming 2024 edition? That's about the only regular thing I can count on where I'll want that kind of performance (outside of being an idiot doing 3d game stuff of my own).

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 12, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's impossible to say since they've shown so little of the 2024 edition so far. They're aiming to put in a lot more ground detail it seems, but I don't know how much that will affect performance, or if you can tune it back down to 2020 levels.

edit: i just realized this was the intel thread. we're pretty off-topic but whatever. VR in MSFS benefits from having as much GPU horsepower as you can possibly throw at it. Even the 4090 isn't good for a consistent 90fps at max settings if you have a high-res headset like the Reverb G2 or Quest 3, but you can make lower-end cards work by dropping down the settings a lot. this will probably be true for the 2024 edition too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 12, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chips & Cheese has some tests of MTL: https://chipsandcheese.com/2024/01/11/previewing-meteor-lake-at-ces/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: i just realized this was the intel thread.

Yeah that was supposed to go into the GPU thread. I've got big win energy over here.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Fab 9 is now open, co-located with Fab 11X in New Mexico.

https://www.techpowerup.com/318257/intel-opens-fab-9-foundry-in-new-mexico

Apparently it does something something EMIB Foveros something chiplets etc.?

Fab 11X had previously been the home of Optane (rest in piss), and I legit have no idea what's going on there now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mdxi posted:

Fab 11X had previously been the home of Optane (rest in piss), and I legit have no idea what's going on there now.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/20042/intel-foundry-services-to-make-65nm-chips-for-tower-semiconductor

Analog and RF processors, apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some rumors on Arrow Lake possibly not having HT. Personally I don't really have an opinion on that either way, presumably they've looked into it and it wouldn't be worth it. As always could be BS anyway.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Deskt...s.795626.0.html

Also "following apple" lol

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
With the increased core count, I find it hard to even play advocate of the devil for HT on client. On the flip side, I do have the opinion that big-core servers should get 4+ SMT or just not at all.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mobby_6kl posted:

Some rumors on Arrow Lake possibly not having HT. Personally I don't really have an opinion on that either way, presumably they've looked into it and it wouldn't be worth it. As always could be BS anyway.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Deskt...s.795626.0.html

Also "following apple" lol

Speculation on possible reasons: HT on the big cores doesn't make as much sense when you have a sea of small cores to handle highly parallel loads, and also such loads aren't that important in client notebooks anyways, and also HT makes performance/power aware scheduling more difficult, and also HT keeps on playing a role in various security flaws. If it's not providing compelling value to make up for its downsides any more, why not remove it? Or at least disable it in client parts?

(oh another one: HT has enjoyed a long run on processors that were stuck on 4-wide decode with much wider execution backends. For many workloads, getting lots of work out of that wide backend meant feeding it with multiple threads. Intel's finally improved decode width to 6-wide in their big cores, which converts some of that 2-thread throughput potential into improved 1-thread performance. So that's another reason why HT may not be looking as great in client any more.)

(speaking of Apple, that last one is very likely why Apple has never bothered with HT. Decoding a fixed-width RISC ISA is so easy that even their phone cores have 8-wide decode. Their front end can keep the back end well occupied with a single thread.)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
There are a lot of interesting workloads that are backend memory latency bound where SMT is the only practical mechanism that can help hide DRAM latency. You use it to let the core go do something else while you need to wait for a load in the critical path.
Think of any kind of walk of unstructured data. Graph analysis and analytical databases spring to mind, but also parallel and/or concurrent GC.

But 2 threads per core is barely enough speedup to justify the implementation pains. Going to 4 or 8 would make the tradeoff more interesting. Sun did this with Niagara, IBM with their z-series and Intel with KNL.

So the question becomes, how important are those workloads and are the big core clients willing to pay extra for it when there are also small core server chips like Sierra forest.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Gwaihir posted:

CPU wise, absolutely, at least in raids.

Oh man… WoW was built in an era when multiple core systems weren’t the norm. It’s not like the WoW client is single threaded?

It’s like - even on a modern system there’s an upper bound on performance of Quake 2’s software renderer and games like Crysis. The one core gets pegged to 100% and that’s it

WoW doesn’t have these problem any more right? The guts of WoW aren’t still stuck in the design decisions of twenty years ago

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 25, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I started playing wow on an AMD athlon 2100+ 💀

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Beef posted:

But 2 threads per core is barely enough speedup to justify the implementation pains. Going to 4 or 8 would make the tradeoff more interesting. Sun did this with Niagara, IBM with their z-series* Power 8 and Intel with KNL.

Not exactly a list of products with a track record of success against fat no/low smt cores tho.

* Power is not Z. Z does 2 way SMT.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Oops, I should have checked to make sure.

And yeah, the economics are not in its favor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

Oh man… WoW was built in an era when multiple core systems weren’t the norm. It’s not like the WoW client is single threaded?

It’s like - even on a modern system there’s an upper bound on performance of Quake 2’s software renderer and games like Crysis. The one core gets pegged to 100% and that’s it

WoW doesn’t have these problem any more right? The guts of WoW aren’t still stuck in the design decisions of twenty years ago

No, WoW's engineers are very very good at what they do and have rewritten the game to be much more suitable for today's computers. It was its immediate competitor, EverQuest 2, that died on the altar of "single thread go up forever."

It's just that WoW is still very CPU intensive when there's lots of players doing lots of things around you. It's a fact of the MMO genre.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

WoW will use multiple cores, though I still think it's pretty limited to upwards of 4-6 cores with the current x86 codebase. But it'll easily push 2-3 cores, sometimes 4, up to 100% utilization, yeah.

I think the arm64 build of WoW is actually better optimized than the x86 version, largely because some of Apple's software developers worked with Blizzard's staff to optimize the game for Apple Silicon, so it makes better use of it even though Apple Silicon does not have SMT.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
When are we expecting arrow lake? I want to build but I can't pull the trigger on final socket gen + ridiculous power use. Considering amd but I do video edit a lot and the Intel features would be welcome.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

processors that were stuck on 4-wide decode with much wider execution backends. For many workloads, getting lots of work out of that wide backend meant feeding it with multiple threads. Intel's finally improved decode width to 6-wide in their big cores

incredibly curious about this, the old had to be 4-1-1-1 but I don't have a guess at what 6 breaks down to

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Speculation on possible reasons: HT on the big cores doesn't make as much sense when you have a sea of small cores to handle highly parallel loads, and also such loads aren't that important in client notebooks anyways, and also HT makes performance/power aware scheduling more difficult, and also HT keeps on playing a role in various security flaws. If it's not providing compelling value to make up for its downsides any more, why not remove it? Or at least disable it in client parts?

(oh another one: HT has enjoyed a long run on processors that were stuck on 4-wide decode with much wider execution backends. For many workloads, getting lots of work out of that wide backend meant feeding it with multiple threads. Intel's finally improved decode width to 6-wide in their big cores, which converts some of that 2-thread throughput potential into improved 1-thread performance. So that's another reason why HT may not be looking as great in client any more.)

(speaking of Apple, that last one is very likely why Apple has never bothered with HT. Decoding a fixed-width RISC ISA is so easy that even their phone cores have 8-wide decode. Their front end can keep the back end well occupied with a single thread.)
I wonder if the SMT side-channel issues that Colin Percival found in 2004 are still applicable, because as far as I remember, it was never really fixed in hardware, and Intel dropped that entire implementation in favour of a different one for Nehalem.

Beef posted:

There are a lot of interesting workloads that are backend memory latency bound where SMT is the only practical mechanism that can help hide DRAM latency. You use it to let the core go do something else while you need to wait for a load in the critical path.
Think of any kind of walk of unstructured data. Graph analysis and analytical databases spring to mind, but also parallel and/or concurrent GC.

But 2 threads per core is barely enough speedup to justify the implementation pains. Going to 4 or 8 would make the tradeoff more interesting. Sun did this with Niagara, IBM with their z-series and Intel with KNL.

So the question becomes, how important are those workloads and are the big core clients willing to pay extra for it when there are also small core server chips like Sierra forest.
Yeah, that's the (in)famous memory wall, first described back in 1994, but which was apparently well-known even then.
Because we have much more bandwidth available than we did now, DRAM latencies has actually gone up (though not significantly compared to the order of magnitude difference there is between cache latency and DRAM latency already).

If memory serves, there's also big differences between the way SPARC 4-way SMT worked, and the way Intel SMT works, or even how POWER(8+?) works.

Coffee Jones posted:

No games scale linearly with multiple cores (ie. uses 100% of all cores), because you run up against soft-realtime limits in game-engines where, in order to hit 60 fps, the entire game's state has to be computed in 16.67ms.
Even with more advanced locking primitives in modern OS kernels, there's a lot of the compute that need to be done serially, thus there's no benefit to be had from putting them on different threads (and in-fact there can be a down-side if you end invalidating the L1 or L2 cache).

One of the newer optimizations that've been catching on, at least for the engines that can take advantage of it (either because they aren't so old as to be too big to change, are new enough to default to it, or are written by teams big enough to do the work of changing it) is to do data-driven programming.
The idea, if memory serves, is to try and make sure everything fits into the cacheline of each individual CPU core.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

incredibly curious about this, the old had to be 4-1-1-1 but I don't have a guess at what 6 breaks down to

Went looking, found an Anandtech article about Alder Lake's Golden Cove written near its launch date (that being the first 6-wide decoder core), but all it had to say was "We asked if there was still a kind of special-case decoder layout as in previous generations (such as the 1 complex + 3 simple decoder setup), however the company wouldn’t dwell deeper into the details at this point in time."

Maybe there's more info out there now. I would be surprised if there's any more than 2 complex decoders, it can't be important to have lots of them or they never would've done 1+3 in the first place.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

Maybe there's more info out there now. I would be surprised if there's any more than 2 complex decoders, it can't be important to have lots of them or they never would've done 1+3 in the first place.

There's only ever going to be one "all" decoder, no sense routing a bunch of wires to a second slot when most ucode flows are just going to lock down the front end for a while, but there's options for the smaller ones.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

WoW will use multiple cores, though I still think it's pretty limited to upwards of 4-6 cores with the current x86 codebase. But it'll easily push 2-3 cores, sometimes 4, up to 100% utilization, yeah.

I think the arm64 build of WoW is actually better optimized than the x86 version, largely because some of Apple's software developers worked with Blizzard's staff to optimize the game for Apple Silicon, so it makes better use of it even though Apple Silicon does not have SMT.

I'd guess any help Apple gave mostly concerned Metal / Apple GPU performance tuning. SMT or not wouldn't matter much to WoW; as long as you've got at least 4 fast cores (which every Apple Silicon Mac does), you're doing pretty good.

Speaking of, on the CPU side, if anything it's more like Apple's CPUs are optimized for what software like WoW needs. Apple's fast cores don't use much power, only about 5 to 6 watts at peak clock rate. Thanks to that, Apple doesn't have to roll back multi-core clocks nearly as much as Intel Turbo Boost. That's good for imperfectly-scaling programs like WoW (and most other games): you want a few fast cores, not a ton of slower ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like this is from Jan 1st but but I haven't seen the chart here (or anywhere else) before:

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel-1st-gen-core-ultra-meteor-lake-beats-amds-ryzen-7000-cpus-at-ultra-low-power/

It's just SPECint so dunno how much you can extrapolate from that. But there are a few interesting things here

• E-cores are in fact significantly more efficient at any reasonable power. ~4W isn't even that low - that'd be 16w for a cluster of 4 E-cores.
  • LP-E cores are somehow way, way worse? I get that they're not designed for heavy number crunching so I'd expect low performance, but how is it even running at >5W?
  • P-cores never seem to out-perform the 7840U even though other reviews showed them to scale better with power and exceed AMD over around 28-30W total power
  • What the hell are LP P-cores!? That's the first time I'm hearing of such a thing and the source tweet doesn't mention it. As far as I know all the P-cores on the compute tile are the same but maybe not. They seem to be barely any different so I'm nto sure what the point even is