Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just hope Intel gets some systems out to Linux driver guys, so that we don't have the issues of blank screen when booting up an install CD when these systems first come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spasticColon posted:

But seriously, who the hell needs 4 to 8 video cards? I guess it would be handy for scientific calculations but I can't think of anything else. And is there even a power supply that could run all of that?

:q:

Numbersmasher:

Whisperstation:

Octoputer:

8 NVIDIA Tesla GPUs—Over 8 TFLOPS
2 Quad- or Six-Core Intel® Xeon Nehalem/Westmere CPUs
Up to 144GB DDR3 memory

All from Microway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Roving Reporter posted:

Anyone know the employee discount Intel gives their employees for hardware? My friend's brother works for Intel and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to ask him for a favor.

If its only 5-10% with a lot of hoops to jump through its not worth it but if not, I may just ask.

Are there limits on how many you can get, or rules for reselling? I always wondered how that works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cross-posting from the Linux thread...

Does anyone out there have a Sandy Bridge i7 and want to waste 15-20 minutes doing a kernel build for me? It'd be best if you're running Fedora 14. Just grab the tarball of the 2.6.37 kernel, extract it, do a 'make old config' and then 'time make -j10'

I know since we don't have the same RAM/disks/etc it won't be a scientific comparison, but I'd like to see how much faster the current systems are than my previous-gen i7.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

Building through a VM acceptable?

Go for it, curious to see how it performs. I'd like to compare Xen against say, VirtualBox, or VirtualBox on Windows compared to VirtualBox on Linux.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kyojin posted:

I'm looking at buying a 2500 purely for a file and VM server. I want to run 6-8 low intensity servers on there - a DC, SQL, SAbnzbd, fileserver, mythTV (hence not the K - I want VT-d) etc. Is this realistic or is performance going to be too poor with that many machines? 8GB RAM and I'll be using an SSD for the OS to run from so hopefully drive performance should not be a bottleneck. Keen to use as little power as possible when nothing much is going on too.

We have an older dual-quad at work with 12GB memory (~7GB used), runs about 10 LInux and Windows server VM's of various duties, and I'm probably only using ~ 1500MHz of CPU most of the time. I could probably run 30 more if I had another 12GB of RAM.

You should be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

freeforumuser posted:

Yeah, its retarded that the 2600K has VT-x but not VT-d despite being the top-tiered CPU for its socket

Didn't they do that to add value to their highest end Xeons and also because the features they disabled in the K-series chips were just extra things they wouldn't have to QA (the thinking was that those features were more likely to fail when OC'ed)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Goddamn, if the SB-E CPUs wouldn't be that loving expensive, I'd upgrade to LGA2011 just for the memory slots. 4x4GB is waaaaayyyyy cheaper than 2x8GB.

How much more than an LGA1366 setup will they be? (6x4GB)

Also, I thought they'd make a 'server' LGA1366 board with 12 slots but Newegg doesn't carry them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

What do you mean? There are 8GB unbuffered DIMMs out right now it looks like?

6x4GB DDR3 non-ECC/non-registered RAM was retard cheap for me, I think I paid under $200 from the 'egg.

I just maxed out one my VM boxes a few weeks ago:

20-139-046 MEM 4G|KST KVR1333D3N9/4G/ RT 6 $23.99 $143.94

They're $2/cheaper each today ($21.99)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I looked up the i740 because I was curious if Intel ever released another graphics card:

Wiki posted:

In August 1999, after less than 18 months on the market, Intel withdrew the i740 from the market. In September Lockheed announced a "customer-focused organizational realignment" that shed many of its divisions, and then closed Real3D on 1 October 1999 (following Calcomp in late 1998). Intel purchased the company's intellectual property, part of a series on ongoing lawsuits, but laid off the remaining skeleton staff.Some staff were picked up as contractors within Intel, while a majority were hired by ATI and moved to a new office.

Nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agreed posted:

Wonder how many of those guys survived the merger on the ATI side and how many are still around on the Intel side. A big small world if some of the guys who used to work together on graphics are now competing directly on graphics. Although it wouldn't surprise me under any circumstances, really, specialized industries are pretty incestuous and no noncompete is going to last 13 years.

Did ex-SGI guys start 3Dfx and then they all ended up going to NVIDIA?

You figure a bunch of the guys on the software side would go to places like Microsoft and game studios, then the hardware guys would get picked up to work on mobile devices and consoles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crushing everything in certain tests.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

incoherent posted:

I would call that trading blows, not trouncing.

The Quad Extreme only won 2 benchmarks. Some of those are 'lower is better' and some are 'higher is better'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Also: Why can't you get anything better than 1280x800 on the 13 inch MacBook Pro? Just put the drat panel from the 13 inch Air in there so people can get 1440x900. :argh:

Even worse they could probably fit a 14" LCD in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The next MBP upgrade should be huge:

(not the power graph of the above benchmark but shows the potential energy/heat savings)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

I believe Xeon part numbering is supposed to be:

Intel Xeon Processor Ex - ABCCDE

x - 3, 5 or 7
A - max numbers of CPU per node
B - Socket Type
CC - Processor SKU
D - option suffix for low TDP, etc
E - Version suffix, e.g. 'v2' for IVB Xeons

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I miss when it was just Celeron, Pentium II and Pentium II Xeon :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cicero posted:

Anandtech has a review up of the Asus UX21A Zenbook Prime (11.6" Ivy Bridge Ultrabook): http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-review

1920x1080 on an 11.6"?? WHY?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Why wouldn't you want that, as long as the GPU can keep up?

It'd be fine if it wasn't Windows/Linux. I really think ~ 135 ppi is about as small as I can handle without getting into zooming (assuming it works on your OS)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

You guys are missing another great upside to this whole deal. Instead of buying i3/i5/i7, intel is now in a better position than ever to make that software controllable. This gives you the upgrade path that you want without having to buy a whole new mobo/cpu combo.
You'd still be limited in upgrades by the initial motherboard, plus the usual stuff like cooling/power supply.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grim Up North posted:

The Lynx Point chipsets for Haswell will have six native SATA 3.0 ports. Non-native ports have generally turned out to be sub-par.

And generally that's not an issue because who's going to have more then 2 high-speed (SSD) devices on one board, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

New benchmarks of Haswell from Tom's Hardware

Performance seems like 10%-ish above Ivy, desktop GPU performance is still below Trinity. Wonder how the more powerful mobile Haswell GPU will fare.

Nice! Now to build my imaginary compile-farm.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are the Atoms being used in laptops/netbooks anymore or just stuff like the Surface RT?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

I've had to clean viruses/spyware/malware off at least one computer with every AV package on it you can think of. AVG, MSE, NOD32, Avast!, McAfee, Symantec...every single loving one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Pardon my ignorance but can someone explain which die is which in this Anandtech photo of a Haswell i7-4950HQ:

Isn't the Haswell quad core die very rectangular? Does that make the smaller rectangular die to the right the CPU and the massive square die the eDRAM?

Small die is L4 cache according to this:

Multi-chip modules

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm on a q6600, how rocked will my socks be by Haswell?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/836?vs=53

http://i.imgur.com/i3wG2k7.png

drat imgur distracts me for 20 minutes every time I try to make an upload

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

Note that "a small number of drives" actually means "nearly all drives" and "there are no reports of data loss" means "no one has used the product yet." That said, while I could definitely see it being annoying, how many people put their system to sleep while using a USB device?

I leave my externals plugged in 24/7 and put it to sleep all the time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Not in the sector of the market where Intel CPUs are used though.

Mac sales flattened out last year. iPad sales haven't really gone anywhere either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

The true craigslist model is to sell an AMD-based system in a cheap case for a 100% markup that is full of pirated software.

This guy used to list the 50 games he threw in 'for free'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know if a random Xeon server or workstation will take an i7 as long as they are both LGA1366? Would HP/Dell lock it out of the BIOS for any reason?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

roadhead posted:

Single Socket Motherboard? Maybe.

Otherwise? Not a chance.

Yea, single socket.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I always wondered, why do they make the wafers circles instead of squares anyway?

I live by a silicon plant (for solar panels) and they make the product in these big long tubes. I'm sure it's not the same thing they use for chips but it's probably just the shape they make them in

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

There are dedicated M.2 slots, mounting them isn't a problem. If your board doesn't have one, many folks make little adapter boards that are just M.2 slots directly wired to a PCIe slot on an expansion board for PCIe, or on a little 2.5" sled for SATA.

God bless Startech and their tons of borderline-useless little adapters.

NVMe is currently mostly an enterprise tech, but that's because it's brand new (and therefore expensive, so only enterprise is willing to pay for it) and the benefits of NVMe over AHCI are mostly felt in I/O heavy applications (i.e. in Enterprise). It'll trickle down. Almost every desktop innovation is a trickle-down server innovation from a few years prior.
My mSATA one like that is only SATA II :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah I know that people often downplay the importance of ECC here (well, usually the Packrats thread actually), but I don't think businesses want to go without. Unless they're enabled and it hasn't been announced yet.

They can still buy Xeon's if they need to check the ECC box

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

The first supercomputer to break the teraflop barrier was Sandia Labs' ASCI Red in December 1997. It drew 850 kW of power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCI_Red
It's pretty weird to me that 20 years later, a single desktop chip is breaking one teraflop.

The Computer itself took up almost 1,600 square feet of space,[3] and is made up of 104 "cabinets". Of those cabinets, 76 are computers (processors), 8 are switches, and 20 are disks. It has a total of 1,212 GB of RAM, and 9,298 separate processors. The original machine used Intel Pentium Pro processors each clocked at 200 MHz. These were later upgraded to specially packaged Pentium II Xeon processors, each clocked at 333 MHz.

1.2TB of RAM? lol

Almost 10,000 Pentium Pro's? I wonder if they used FASTVID.EXE
Upgraded to 333MHz chips later on? PENTIUM OVERDRIVE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I guess in one Intel slide at Computex they were touting the i9 for "12k gaming." I mean come the gently caress on you can't even do 8k properly with SLI 1080 Tis, even 5k is pushing the limits of practicality in modern games.

My "ultimate computing device" would be a 60/65 inch display, Retina (220-230dpi) quality, full touch screen - allowing you to have a desktop the size of, well, a desk.

I'd need 12288x9216 pixels to do it, basically 16 4k (4 wide by 4 tall)displays stitched together (113 megapixels, imagine driving that at 120hz!)

We have a ways to go. Especially if this thing is going to be driven by my phone/tablet, docking it when I get to my desk at work or home.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 10, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure Micro Center is going to love people wanting to look at all the serial numbers on their CPUs to ensure they get a build date past the point where they switch, and online retailers will love having to process returns of unopened CPUs because "they're not the right one."

nevermind

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Holy poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Harik posted:

It's a thing you used to do a lot more than you do now. For a while, AMD & Intel shared a socket, and it was something you could upgrade a few times during the life of a board. I don't think anyone cares that much - there's basically only one choice of chipset if you have a k part, all the interesting features come on the chipset, so buying a board isn't a huge selling point on it's own.
Was that Socket 7?

You could run AMD, Cyrix, Intel, everything on that board. But when newer chips came out you still needed to upgrade the board half the time because it didn't support the newest chips or stuff like AGP.

Did they make it open because of some patent lawsuit? I can't remember.