Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

So while Intel is making an one chip solution, since normal people don't use the most of their graphics adapter, Nvidia is betting on technologies like CUDA, hoping people will now use fast graphics adapters for more than just game.

Someone is going to be really wrong about this.

Or they are two separate market segments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

incoherent posted:

I hope this chipset is finally the one to force motherboard makers to UEFI.

MSI announced all their sandy bridge boards will be UEFI, don't know about other manufacturers.

http://techpinger.com/2010/06/msi-working-on-uefi-that-will-kill-bios-in-three-years/

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

spasticColon posted:

I read on Wikipedia that the Ivy Bridge chips will be backwards compatible with Sandy Bridge motherboards. Is this true?

As of now, yes. That said, they have advertised that in the past and changed their mind when the chip actually released. Also, you have to rely on the motherboard makers to update the BIOS to support the new architecture instead of trying to sell you a new motherboard with whatever new chipset will come out with Ivy Bridge, which is a gamble at best.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

Props to Anand, we've had SB CPUs here for awhile now, and I never realized *Ks didn't have VT-d. I don't virtualize quite enough for that to drive me away, but like someone said, it's kind of a downer that the premium SKU (at least for now) doesn't have all the bell and whistles. My reasoning (guess) is that in QA testing, that functionality went straight to hell above certain clocks, and rather than have users enable/disable it in BIOS, they just killed it off. (Either that, or it can't co-habitate with the HD 3000 graphics, which I think is unlikely).

Yeah right, it's product differentiation.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

It's the priciest SKU though? Or maybe HP/Dell buying boatloads of 2600s versus 2600Ks is better for them given manufacturing yields?

It creates a separate product for the gamer/enthusiast market that enterprise can't use. No doubt they don't want to offer the K models at all but are worried that completely cutting off overclocking will give AMD an advantage, so they have pigeonholed it with the K models- removing virtualization and playing these ridiculous chipset games.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Gunder posted:

If you're not planning on doing any overclocking, is there any point at all in getting the K versions of these chips? I was planning on getting a 2500. I have been told: "Overclocking the thing will be dead simple if you're not trying to max it out, and the cost increase is so minimal I personally think it would be worth it. It's only $11 more, after all. Any particular reason you're opposed to overclocking?". The thing is, I've always thought that overclocking gives you minimal performance at the cost of stability. Is this no longer the case? Am I a fool for not getting the 2500k?

It never was the case really, and the whole overclocking game has changed with Sandy Bridge so even if were once remotely true, it isn't anymore. Overclocking on Sandy Bridge no longer messes with the system buses and whatever happens to be running on them, it simply changes the multiplier on the cpu, leaving the rest of the system untouched.

It's literally free performance, but is just there to appease enthusiasts who would otherwise move to AMD- Sandy Bridge is actually kind of a halfway step to eliminating overclocking. Intel has wanted to cut off overclockers forever, but AMD remaining somewhat competitive for the past decade has prevented them from doing it. It's a mindshare thing more than anything.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2011

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

Never used 'em, but they always struck me as a "budget" brand. I'd take Anand's word as gospel though, so if they recommend it, I would go for it. I'm pretty superstitious when it comes to mobos (just like hard drives), so I stick to the brand that's treated me the best, Asus.

Asrock is Asus' budget line.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

FatboYgw posted:

I have a newbish question that may or may not be off topic.

I'm getting a new box with an I5-2400 on an H67 board, along with a GTX 460. I'm interested in running three displays. Is there any chance I'll be able to use the onboard graphics alongside the PCIe card, or will they get disabled? Or is this going to be dependant on the motherboard?

Currently no, but it's in the works. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20217

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

He has a H67, not a P67. Pretty sure the H67 allows integrated GPU to co-exist with standard PEG cards. As long as both the IGP and PEG are active and connected to monitors, everything is fine.

Well that article is about a workaround for the H67, but I'm not sure about the integrated an ddiscrete at the same time- I thought you couldn't.

edit: Oh I see, I guess you have to have a monitor connected to the integrated to enable it, you can't alternate between both on the same monitor, which is what the workaround I posted enables. Sorry, I guess you can use both as long as you have a multi-monitor setup, but a very important caveat is that you cant drag and drop between displays, which is a pretty big deal if you actually use a multi-monitor setup the way most people do. Sandy Bridge is a loving mess.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 30, 2011

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

TreFitty posted:

I was stuck with a C2D 1.6 laptop for a while because my main computer broke a few weeks ago. Seeing as how I'm starting a new job that requires I mess around with virtual machines at home, I couldn't wait any longer and just recently got a prebuilt with a B2 board. I honestly don't understand the point of waiting. I've got several drive enclosures and NEVER use an optical drive unless I'm installing an OS. So, I think two internal HDs is enough. Why are you guys being so picky? What are your plans?

Do you really consider "wants SATA ports on the motherboard to work" to be a picky position to take?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

TreFitty posted:

Kind of. I'm wondering what kind of storage setups you guys want to have that you're willing to sit around on 5-6 year old computers rather than get something now. I'm not saying you're being nitpicky, really, just....not practical, maybe?

edit: You know that there are still two working ports, right?
1: HD
2: DVD-RW

v v that makes more sense to me now

Yeah, who wants an SSD or a second hard drive? gosh guys

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Does anyone know anything about this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582

It's a good price and MSI, but as far as the internet is concerned it basically doesn't exist- I can't find anything on it at all other than the page at msi.com which makes it look like a great deal.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tapedump posted:

Anyone see a fixed P8P67 PRO (not the P8P67-M PRO) in the wild yet? I want that Intel network adapter... and don't want to shell out for the Deluxe.

I'd probably just get the MSI P67A-GD65, but only one front USB header? What the hell?

Yes they have been coming in stock intermittently (mine just arrived today from amazon), but you have to act pretty quick when one shows up because it's one of the most popular boards.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tapedump posted:

Ouch, $250 on Amazon right now? Now that's a gouge. I'd rather get the Deluxe from NewEgg for less.

Guess I gotta wait.

Edit: I hope NewEgg at least lists the ATX-sized Pro; Amazon's search for technical items kinda sucks.

That's some third party gouger, when amazon.com actually gets it in stock its at the regular retail 189.95 price. Do people really still not understand how amazon.com works?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Why would they even produce p67 boards if they were going to disable overclocking?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

unknown posted:

A royal "gently caress you" to Gigabyte. Got a new GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard with an Intel X-25M SSD as the main/only drive. The motherboard won't boot using AHCI mode with the sata ports, so I'm stuck with IDE mode.

Drive is accessible though - Win7 saw it and installed just fine in 10 minutes.

Someday I hope there will be a bios update and I'll get the last 15% performance out of the ssd. :( (Running version F2 here)

Are there reports of this being a problem with the board? Either way I would RMA it, not having AHCI is unacceptable on a new build.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

You Am I posted:

Got my i5 2500K running at 4.6GHz on default voltage on an Asus P8P67 Pro.

For some reason in the Asus BIOS, even though I tell it to see the FSB to 100 MHz, it always sets it to 103. Weird.

I had this problem for a few before I figured out you had to press enter after entering the FSB speed- it appears to set it even if you don't, but it actually doesn't until you hit enter.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

Disclaimer: playing at 2560x1600. IIRC, my E6600 was overclocked to ~3.2GHz or so. Force Unleashed, Black Ops, ME2 and a few others I'd get some nasty stuttering/lag. Same graphics card, 2600K, smooth as butter.

Granted, I could have squeezed more life out of it if I bothered to close Firefox/torrents/everything else before playing games, but the E6600 lives on in my server now.

Just to add to this I upgraded from a e5200@3.3ghz to a 2500k that I run at 4.4ghz and kept the same video card. My performance increased dramatically, not just from a raw FPS perspective but all the stutters I used to get are gone.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You'll get a million 212+ replies (I use one) and it's $20 at Fry's right now. http://www.frys.com/product/5971334

It'd be silly to buy anything else unless you need a small form factor.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Drewjitsu posted:

Quick question for i5-2500k owners.

I'm running an overclock (4.3ghz right now, 4.5ghz bsod'd on me). I'm running Real Temp 3.67, and it's reporting (under 100% load)

core 0: 53
core 1: 60
core 2: 59
core 3: 55

Should there be this much disparity between the cores? Or is my heatsink (a coolermaster 212+) improperly seated/thermal paste not properly applied? I thought I did a good job of spreading the paste around on the chip, not realizing that the instructions called for the paste to be put on the heatsink instead.

Should I re-do it?

No, it's fine. Goddamn you guys are you really all this anal retentive?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Alereon posted:

Bonus Edit: Here's an article from Xbitlabs showing how power consumption changes when overclocking for various CPUs, though it doesn't cover Sandy Bridge. The Core i7 860 they tested overclocked from 2.8Ghz to 3.4Ghz with only a minor power usage increase, but each step beyond that caused increasingly massive jumps in power consumption.

How does a 7% cpu voltage bump increase the entire system draw (of which CPU is obviously only a significant fraction) 18%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Well, ain't that somethin.