Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are the Socket 2011 quad channel CPUs classed as "sandy bridge"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
OK good I didnt want to crap up the thread with questions on a different architecture. What do we know about them? (the graphics-less chips) My searching yields vague year old press releases. I think my O/C'd E8400 will last until whenever they are released

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Also there are still 1366 CPUs due Q2/Q3 next year- 990x from memory, so flipping the production switch between Nehalem & Sandy Bridge will take all of 2011 I expect

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
By the time the 2600K reaches retail channels it will be $500+ I'd wager (nothing)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Blargh. If I want the variants with bigger cache, I also get hyperthreading.

Yeah I'm not sold on HT, especially for gaming, but you can usually switch it off in BIOS.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

One click update of ALL the drivers outside of windows.
That sounds cool, but I wonder what kind of rollback features there are should something go wrong.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I thought Lynnfield was only ~10% greater than C2D clock for clock?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I think someone did on the xtremesystems forums. But that was at high volts you wouldn't want to use 24/7. Still, its very impressive and hopefully means most chips should do 4-4.2 without breaking a sweat

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
TBH I've never understood why the single core Turbo frequency is only ~10% higher. Whats the point? Make it 15-20 at least

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I too would like VT-d explained. To my understanding my E8400 doesn't have VT-d but it can run VMs

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Someone on another forum mentioned that the Asus P8P67 EVO had better voltage/power regulation than the PRO, but they both have 12+2 VRMs. Is there any truth to this claim?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

movax posted:

No, their VRMs should be identical. The LE and Deluxe are the only ones with unique VRMs (the LE has 6, the Deluxe has 14+2 or 16+2, one of the two). However, Intel themselves only tossed 6 on their motherboard. The extra ones will come in handy when you raise VCore and suck down more power on really high overclocks.
Figured as much, but I thought I'd check in case the EVO and above had 2oz copper or something not quite related to the amount of PWMs

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

Newegg has a Combo of a Core i5 2500K and an Asus P8P67 Pro for $394.98, a $20 savings. This is the enthusiast-but-not-[H]ardcore board with Crossfire/SLI, Intel LAN, and decent power.

If you are planning on overclocking, I think this is the best price/performance combo before it starts to get into +30% monies for +%5 performance territory

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

I bumped the multiplier to 42 (i.e. 4.2 GHz) and left the core voltage on "Auto," and SpeedStep definitely still works. It clocks down to 1.6 GHz per core and cuts ~.15V off vCore.

Will it still do that with the Vcore not on Auto?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

marketingman posted:

What is with Intel and their bullshit 4 twist pin cooler mounting? It's like the designers are high functioning retards. I mean that in all seriousness, if one of you Intel goons are the designer or know the designer, gently caress you, they are the worst.

Not that I want to defend the twist clip thing, but they're probably designed for OEMs to install CPU & cooler in under 10 seconds

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What is it with the terrible quality of those programs. Every mobo I've owned over the past 10 years has bundled unstable software that can't even fetch the right readings from their own boards. Must be a training project for their new software janitors straight out of uni

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I wouldn't count on it getting fixed. My P45 Asus board still does it after half a dozen bios revisions

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Assuming they're in the right slots, I'm sure thats just CPU-Z needing another update for these new boards

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone have any experience with the Asrock boards? The Exp4 & Exp6 have 775 mounting holes, which I need for my water block. Ill be pairing it with the 2500k

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

TV shows vary much more widely between 23.976 (NTSC film) and 29.97 (NTSC video) than you're thinking. Movies are all going to be 23.976 unless they're truly bizarre though. PAL is 25fps by the way.

So in PAL-land a NTSC (lets say 30fps for simplicity) video will run 30/25 % slower since the total amount of frames is constant? Or do they drop frames to keep playtime the same

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

DuckConference posted:

I'm not sure I get the explanation. Why would you bias a logic transistor? Generally the gate of a logic transistor is going to be at 0 or the supply voltage (ignoring the leakage from the previous stage) so I don't see where bias comes in.

From memory logic/digital transistors simply have internal resistors, ie internal bias.

edit: or that article uses a computer type definition rather than elec eng, ie 'logic' to differentiate between a power transistor.

dud root fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 1, 2011

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I thought the IGP on H67 was disabled with a discrete video card? Guess not

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its talking about Intels RST drivers (rapid storage technology). Its currently up to version 10.0.xxxx officially, with higher unofficial versions leaked online. Most SSD firmware flashing tools dont support v10.0 yet, so to update your SSD you need to rollback to v9.6. I've convinced myself that v10.0 is faster, but that could just be due to HIGHER NUMBERS

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Nail polish remover is probably the most practial Xylene based product to use. Its Xyl-something-something, ie not straight Xylene, and wont turn rubber gloves into goop quite as quickly

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I just bought a board that uses the Realtek RTL8111E- the same as that MSI board. Whats the deal with the realtek onboard nic? Just how bad is it?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So how many PCI-E lanes in total does the P67 have?

I want to run my single graphics card at x16, but I also have a PCI sound card and will use the onboard Realtek LAN (which uses a PCI-E x1 slot).

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

dud root posted:

So how many PCI-E lanes in total does the P67 have?

I want to run my single graphics card at x16, but I also have a PCI sound card and will use the onboard Realtek LAN (which uses a PCI-E x1 slot).
To answer my own question in case anyone else is curious: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=647&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=1

16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes directly from the CPU for GPUs (can be 16x1 or 8x2 config) and,
8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the P67 chipset, which gets used for peripherals like lan, usb3 etc.
24 Lanes in total

So it seems you can leave usb3 enabled without degrading your x16 graphics connection. Having said all that, I'm sure a x8 link for graphics is still more than adequate

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Should I care about jumbo frames as a home desktop user? Should I enable them if its disabled?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The thing about brand loyalty or avoision is our minds are made up so long ago, and that doesnt take into account recent changes in manufacturing process.

eg I swear by western digital harddrives as I had a couple of segates & hitachis die. But that was 10 years ago, and ignoring the fact its only anecdotal/small sample evidence, the roles could be reversed now.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Blur filter? Thats what my CRT is for :smug:

But seriously, just built my Asrock Pro3 + 2500K. It does 4.4Ghz at 1.31V, which I'll use for 24/7. Not too shabby, but I'm still jealous of those getting 4.5-4.6 at 1.3

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kashwashwa posted:

I must have got a poo poo chip :(... it won't stay stable above 4.3ghz and that's with 1.35v. I thought the new motherboard might make a difference, but I get identical results as my last (Gigabyte P67A-UD3).

Granted, I haven't really messed around with any other settings.
drat that sucks. And I thought my 1.31V @ 4.4Ghz was below average.

Have you tried running the ram underspeed? ie if its 1600 ram, set it to 1333 just to take it out of the equation

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

This Tech Report has a good review of the SB chips, and compares it to other CPUs:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7
I wish more review sites would include min fps. Its the most important statistic!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah thats nothing, I've seen mine with 10-12 difference between cores.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
They can bundle it with a HL2:Anniversary coupon, like the 9600xt :v:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Our "old" Dell D420 / 520s at work are so popular because of the 1400x1050 res. With an SSD in them they are so much better than anything new & 16:9

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does the thunderbolt spec..specify putting signalling devices in the cable?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I almost recommended Kaspersky for our 100 user environment - it had great server side tools to push out the program, and uninstall our older not-Kaspersky AV silently. Plus the detection & performance rate was good. BUT if you performed a manual scan or if it found a virus, the popup title bar of the scanner was labelled "Luke Filewalker" :psyduck: crazy loving Russians that's not a corporate product!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So bad its g-.. just bad

Is the DPC value an issue if you use a discrete soundcard?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
5Ghz on air? My 2500k on water tops out at 4.5, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Can a NVMe SSD such as the Intel 750 be booted directly from the CPU PCI-E channels? Or does it need to go through the PCH

e: on the Z170 mobos