Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress. I might have to dig up that effort post from the NAS thread / my notes where I evaluated every single mATX option (Node 804 case) that would give me the peRfeCt ESXi host to do everything I wanted. My current system would be perfect if 1) I stopped working long enough to bring it up and 2) Supermicro didn't gently caress me on the X11SSL and not power the iGPU, meaning I can never QuickSync video. I just want an rear end-ton of PCIe lanes (NVMe hello!), on-board SAS3008 / or enough spare PCIe slots to get my Chelsio NICs / HBA / etc in.

But, insert argument here now about how there's enough CPU power to transcode a pile of streams and I only realistically have like... 2 users, and a 45 Mbit upstream and it's all really a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cygni posted:

Celeron 300A set to 450, never forget

2600K crew checking in. When I finally complete my Threadripper build (lol never custom water cool), I'm putting it + my P8P67 in a shadow box frame on the wall. It's been at 4.5 or 4.6 GHz for almost a decade now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Still kinda want it though

movax
Aug 30, 2008

And no efficiency cores, so I'm going to assume that one can stay on Win10 / not have to worry about any scheduler fuckery going on.

Will BIOS's let you just kill all E cores if you want 8 cores + don't want to upgrade to Win11/just generally don't want to trust something else on allocating cores efficiently? 12700F might be interesting then, but that's almost the cost of another 12400F to get 4 more P cores.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It goes without saying that Jeff Wilcox wasn't the only person to design the M1 for Apple, but what a lot of articles aren't printing and what wasn't sensationalized to the same degree is that Gerard Williams III, John Bruno, and Manu Gulati - all on the M1 team like Jeff Wilcox - left Apple years ago and are now at Qualcomm.
They also had a brief flirt with a start-up called Nuvia which they founded and which was supposed to be working on an ARM server CPU, but so far as I was able to determine at the time, the Nuvia offices were in the same building as the Qualcomm CPU engineers, and there was cross-talk even before the acquisition.

The key problem for those other guys IMO is that they don’t have a fully vertically integrated stack where they control the entire device from silicon to OS to industrial design. Qualcomm can get the best CPU guys in the world whose work will be wasted on Android turd sandwiches. Microsoft squandered Surface, IMO — didn’t do them much good owning the OS and telling the ODM what to do.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’ve just always used the TOSLINK output to my external DAC — straightforward, no ground loops.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

We need a new street champ like the old Celeron 300a.

Most recent Intel street champ was 2600K, IMO. Before that... I want to say the 2.4 or 2.53 Northwood P4s were fairly decent OCs if you had the cooling to keep up (but they also then got their poo poo kicked in my AMD).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Do you think semiconductor companies are short of money?

No, but IMO this is a legit problem worth addressing (DoD has been on this for 10+ years now in terms of getting trusted foundries) and we’ve spent money on stupider poo poo!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

And yet. My brand new X1 thinkpad, with the i7-1185g7 (which is supposed to be at least twice as fast as the desktop CPU) takes like 5 minutes to be usable after a restart because of all the poo poo that gets loaded by the corporate overlords. Yeserday I had to abort a meeting with a friend because it was getting choppy and audio was dropping out because it decided to install updates while McAfee was doing whatever the gently caress McAfee does.

Is the thermal throttling on it totally hosed? Mine will occasionally just decide to drop to 400 MHz and sit there until I reattach AC power (disconnect, reconnect) — even when not thermally limiting. Zoom, as far as I can tell, also uses some instruction set that ensures that the 1185 runs somewhere 3-4 GHz; I legitimately pull out my iPad now and set it next to my laptop for video calls — its just not worth it to me to murder my battery on the Thinkpad.

The last ‘good’ laptop I used was my 2018 XPS 13 which I think was a Kaby Lake-R CPU. 2021 XPS 13 with Ice Lake (10th gen) was a total piece of unusable poo poo, just BSODs regularly and the X1 (1185G7) doesn’t BSOD but its TDP management leaves much to be desired still, IMO.

Naturally, my M1 devices suffer none of the above and run circles around the Intel parts. Maybe if I move further into management and away from fun engineering things, I can start to daily drive a Mac instead of a Windows machine.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’d expect FPGAs to get some play on the I/O side also there — probably not commodity NICs. If you’re targeting end-to-end latency, you have to own everything out to the furthest interface, I.e. Ethernet link.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm just old / at work or even at home sometimes, I just don't have speakers on or my headphones on... I can read a webpage at any time. Stop making me watch videos!

(That said, watching videos on car repair has made me 1000x more efficient than looking at a few pics on an Audi forum taken with a feature potato phone and hosted on loving Photobucket... they have their place)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Renee also was the brains behind buying the $7.7B McAfee albatross, which cost more than the next fab would cost. Putting that money into a fab would have definitely had a better return in the next 10 years (4 of which had a chip shortage) than the $3B bath they took on the deal.
Amazing how people can fail upward from something like that :capitalism:

Holy poo poo I totally forgot / missed that Intel had bought / JV’d McAfee. :wtc:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Business productivity systems are all about more cores, more cores, more cores. +4 E cores is a big deal.

Even your average desktop running Excel or whatever software reception needs?

Not to go back to the “a 2600K is still viable today” dead horse but seems like we hit the optimal of a ~35-45W TDP quad core CPU to drive most things a few generations ago. I skipped from Sandy Bridge to Zen 2, but building a few work machines along the way, seems like around Kaby Lake or so was a sweet spot.

I thought about going Alder Lake for my recent USFF purchase but 1) I don’t want Windows 11 and 2) still not convinced SW maturity is there to intelligently use the E cores…

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

There is something to be said for the real improvement for the general user to be actually having decent SSDs on computers, but the biggest difference from a sandy bridge to something more recent for a business user is going to be better encoding support for all their video calls.

Oh, yeah, fair point — whatever the most recent iGPU generation with hardware H.264/H.265, 16 GB RAM, NVMe and that’s a solid machine for basically “everything”.

Or, you know, a M1… :shobon:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fair points — I didn’t realize the bloat had gotten so bad, for about the past decade I’ve worked at a series of small startups / companies that effectively turned into BYOD; my current firm we don’t have even have a domain or similar setup. Never had McAfee / other monitoring / endpoint security crap. So I’m free to configure my machines the way I want… though Zoom/Teams are still absolute shitpiles. I don’t use any of the virtual background stuff, but I’ve decided to just use my iPad for video calls.

Office 365 makes me lose my poo poo sometimes, but that’s not CPU bloat fall (I think?) — more that seemingly every dialog makes some kind of network access in the back and god help you if your connection isn’t smooth.

Software always continuing the fine tradition of reversing our gains in hardware performance. :smuggo:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

An ignoble end for Pentium… was bummed when it got dumped to budget land after Core.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’ve had impedance geometries change slightly based on soldermask color. The AOI I’d also believe could be an issue… have anecdotally heard stories of white / black soldermask causing issues in the reflow oven from a pure thermal emissivity standpoint.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

what's up with real time on x86?

I used to develop Xenomai-based real time systems on x86 / x86-64 / ARM (ignore ARM for now) and any kind of platform that has poo poo like SMM and layers and layers of potential glue between you and hardware will / should have a healthy skepticism of actual achievable determinism.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

they absolutely were in the gigabit era, but their consumer 2.5gb chipset has been and continues to be a disaster

realtek had teething problems with 2.5gb as well but the complaints about that seem to have dried up after 2021

In hunting down which adapter to use for 2.5Gb on an Apple silicon mac, the RTL8156B seems to be the preferred option but still has a bunch of complaints about it.

82574 was the last great Intel controller IMO.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Does the US military/government ACTUALLY design custom ASICs for their applications? The only ones I am aware of are the RF chips for the RF front-end electronics in military radios/RADARs, which are comparatively much lower tech than computer chips.

Yes -- all the time, especially for rad-hard stuff that a FPGA just won't be performant enough for. Crypto HW is another major category. I thought at one point the NSA had its own little mini-fab... these things don't need to be cutting-edge deep-EUV though.

"90nm should really be enough for anyone" (it really is a sweet spot IMO for most ICs that aren't cutting-edge processors/logic/etc)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got a net $27 :lol:

Not a new employee either.

jfc that's bleak

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

There isn’t exactly a glut of the kinds of engineers Intel has the most of.

Dunno, it'd be pretty funny to let a bunch of web developers (who from my POV are abstracted away at the point now they may not understand what 1s and 0s are) take a crack at digital logic design.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I correct in quoting (likely from someone in this thread) that the first few seconds of first power-on of Nehalem executed more clock cycles / instructions than had ever been simulated for the design? Or was that my old boss (ex-Intel) exaggerating slightly?

I’ve done logic design / validation before, but nothing at the scale of a modern CPU or experience with leading-edge validation tools, so I’m curious.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Beef posted:

PS. How good are 2012-era workstations? I've seen some place throw/give away (unused) rack servers and workstations from that era and I'm wondering if I can make some school IT happy with a donation.

Power efficiency might be the only bummer, but I'd consider myself a power user and I was running a 2600K (overclocked) up until last summer running Win10 and it was fine. Maybe they can use them to populate a lab or something?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

PCIe does rule, and it's especially great how extensible it is by adding on to both the protocol level (NVMe) and physical level (CXL).

One thing that's been always interesting to me with PCIe throughout the generations is how when you're on a new version of it the work and debug involved to get, say 3.0 rates going at the time will be huge, but then when it is 4.0 the previous gen speeds will just work, no big deals. Definitely an initial hiccup as the tunings, board materials and routing are worked out but then going forward, easy.

So for PCIe 6 I'm really curious how this will work out because the signal frequency will be the same so the boards don't need to get fancier, however using the PAM-4 signalling introduces a funky new wrinkle. This should be a solved problem as other specifications have used PAM stuff for ages but still.. I wonder.

Gen5 is still some ragged edge stuff in a lot of cases too lol

All paths lead to crabs / carcinization two twisted pairs going from device to device / point-to-point, delivering many near terabits of information transfer. :getin:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Yup I was predicting ages ago (before nvme became the major thing it is now) that the only interfaces we will need will be ethernet, pcie and (lol) usb.

RIP SATA, HDMI/Displayport/DVI, and all the other nonsense connections.

SAS may soldier on but really x1 nvme spinning disks should hopefully displace them

VGA and RS232 will survive for last gasp server debug and provisioning

I want a better UART / better USB, still... multi-mode SPDIF to create a low bandwidth, cheap POF solution would be neat. One of my weird things is repurposing TOSLINK transmitters/receivers to do all sorts of hosed up things...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Expanders and HBAs are garbage products

NVMe has an ever expanding feature set and moving to NVMe let’s you unify your support steps and ecosystem

Also let’s you get on the hot NVMeoF craze

And why bother with Ethernet anymore when you can just send PCIe over fiber and toss switch chips on either end!

(screams in early 2010s PLX NT bridging)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Help, this little alder lake mini-pc looks super good.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805211209009.html

I may abandon my quest for ARM/Realtek now that these are finally hitting the market. May just get the N100 one, slap OPNsense on it and be done.

Is it Alder Lake w/ E cores or just P cores? Have schedulers figured out how to deal with heterogenous cores on x86 yet?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is it one of those things like the AX200/201 where it was PCIe vs. CNVi or something?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I remember when the first gen came out thinking it was perfect for NAS usage -- built in high speed networking, low TDP, lots of PCIe lanes. The newer ones you can get on boxes from Supermicro and co. now... they are intended for 'edge' usage, so I guess if you want to drop a storage appliance at the base of a telecom tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:perfect: