Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Alereon posted:

A New Kind of Overclocking

A CPU's clock speed is its Front Side Bus (FSB) speed multiplied by a value conveniently called the clock multiplier. On Intel CPUs since the Pentium II, this multiplier has been fixed by Intel at the factory (except on the most expensive Extreme Edition processors). As a result, overclocking has been accomplished by raising the FSB speed, which is generated by a clock generator chip on the motherboard. On the Sandy Bridge processors, this clock generator is now part of the chipset, and its frequency is fixed by Intel and cannot be changed by more than about 5%. This means that overclocking as we know it is now impossible. However, realizing the value of overclocking to enthusiasts, Intel will now be releasing some processor models with an unlocked multiplier. These models will have a letter "K" at the end of the model number, and will come at about a 10% price premium.

This kinda pisses me off, however I think nowadays overclocking a video card's GPU is at least as important. That's probably why Intel's only selling the unlocked ones for 10% more.

Watch someone find a way to unlock the low end models anyway, if anything just to say "I did it!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU