Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Eh. I'm more interested in, how long is going to take until we can play all our games @1080p without any hiccups? Yea, most of the time it runs well, but there's still that occasional stutter - which I think is really unacceptable.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I swear I read somewhere that the reason most games don't need much processing power is that most are designed to be able to run on consoles as well. So once next gen consoles roll around, we'll see a big jump in system requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

incoherent posted:

Forget the USB

Embrace the light peak

I read about this. Ridiculous.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

freeforumuser posted:

Let's face it, the only real apps left that are still primarily CPU limited are rendering and video encoding. Interestingly, both apps lend themselves well to massively parallel processing on GPUs, same for gaming physics. And now, we see Intel and AMD are pushing with CPUs with integrated GPUs. Coincidence? Me thinks no and let me proclaim the multicore era is already over and welcome our new GPU-dominant processor overlords.

I don't think GPU can do video encoding better than CPUs. Faster yes, but the quality is pretty bad in comparison.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

incoherent posted:

This is the primary example of why I'm looking for a uefi board.

Well right now all 2TB HDDs are 5400RPM, so not exactly something you'd want to have as a boot drive. Still, hopefully 1155/new AMD boards will make UEFI standard.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Alereon posted:

That's not true, there are 2TB and 3TB 7200rpm HDDs.

Really? Which ones?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Alereon posted:

The Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB for example, the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB also contains a 3TB Barracuda XT 7200rpm drive.

Those are pretty awesome. I'll probably pick them up once they get a bit cheaper.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Do we have a solid release date? A friend of mine wants to buy a PC, trying to convince him to wait for it.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

The Dark One posted:

I think ME1 was pretty much a fluke in terms of performance. The sequel runs better on my crappy old E6750/Radeon 3870 than the original, even with the settings turned up higher.

Could be something to do with ATI/Nvidia drivers. Both flew on my E6600/9800GT, I don't think one performed better than the other/.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
From the Anandtech article:

quote:

it failed to fix issues with 23.976 fps video playback

What issue has Intel had with 23.976 fps playback?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

movax posted:

The IGP hardware accelerated decoding (IIRC) will put out 24.000, not 23.976. It's such a loving :spergin: complaint, the CPU alone is more than powerful enough to decode 1080p H.264 with more flexibility than any hardware accelerated solution. No need to worry about resolution or encoding options, it just plays back.

Thanks.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Dropping one frame every 3597 (2.5m*23.98f/sec)is not anywhere near 17%. Did you mean you drop a second every 2.5minutes? That isn't 17% either.

It's every ~42 seconds.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Paino posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do?

See if you can get a board from another retailer.

modeski posted:

I'm still in the process of speccing out a system. Should I wait until March/April before putting the order in to avoid getting a bad mobo?

Definitely.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Alereon posted:

The more people who buy a product the more people complain about problems with said product, Asus still does pretty well compared to the competition. I mean look at Gigabyte, their boards have had garbage power delivery since LGA-1155 came out at least and people still buy/recommend them. This isn't even something nebulous like anecdotal product experiences, you can monitor the voltages and see exactly how out of spec they are, tell exactly what Gigabyte did wrong, and see the consequences.\

Uh wow. I've always bought Gigabyte boards (since they work well, why not?). What's a good brand to buy? Or is it chipset dependant?