Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Malcolm XML posted:

why not full 48v like servers. highest efficiency, smallest cables

Pfft, I'll do you one better. Pretty much everything in our homes now runs on DC aside from major appliances. Let's just convert home wiring over to DC and do the conversion at the house level!

Think of how much smaller everything could be without DC power supplies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

~Coxy posted:

They got up to 10th gen, law of marketing says you have to rebrand now.

See also: NVidia, ATi.

Also Samsung.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Meanwhile, I can run Doom 2016 at 1050p with mostly everything turned up between 40-60fps on an Ice Lake XPS13. It seems hilarious to run such a game on a chassis the size of the XPS13.

Ice Lake really is a massive improvement in graphics and the next jump looks even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple technically already uses their own wireless charging standard since they use Proprietary Power Delivery Extension (PPDE) on top of Qi like Samsung does rather than just use EPP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it's not like very fast wireless charging doesn't exist (my phone is capable of 30w wireless charging.) There is a valid debate to be had on the wear and tear it places on the battery, though the stand that does that charging speed also has a fan in it that blows air at the back of the phone. It also detects you normal sleep cycle and trickle charges it over the night, only ramping up to bring it to 100% around the time you will pick it up off the charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what will happen.

A horrible security flaw will be discovered in the little cores and they'll be forced to disable them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A lot of it has to do with how dirty the power is in your area too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

veering too much into GPUchat but isn’t the 3060Ti basically on par with the 2080?

I bought a big-rear end desktop tower in April with a 3060Ti + 11700K in it and the idea that there’s a $1200-1900 Mac Mini on the horizon that will literally match it, and possibly beat it, on several fronts fills me with feelings

I guess the question is "beat it in what?"

If you bought that thing to do video or photography workflows, then yeah. If that's a gaming box, then *shrug*.

That's the way I view these notebooks. They are extremely powerful energy efficient machines that shame the gently caress out of intel. They are also offer me zero utility over what I already have.

There's nothing I'm doing on my XPS 13 2:1 with an i7-1065G7 that would be better on one of these devices and I enjoy the XPS form factor better. My desktop is pretty much exclusively for gaming so no real use case there. Ditto with my gaming notebook.

The one place where I could use the extra performance and it would make my day to day better is work. But that's also a place where I have zero choice what device I get to use and it will be ages if ever before an M1 based Mac is on the list of equipment. So I get to chug along with the T480 POS and crappy 8th gen i7, fans going full tilt and unable to drive both my 1440p monitors without using displaylink.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrDork posted:

You're right about most of this, and I find myself in the same situation: I just don't need a mobile video-editing station, and even mobile gaming is still better done with a Windows-based machine.

Yeah, my PERSONAL computing really is all about the browser and I don't really need a machine to do much. I honestly spend most of my time on a tablet or my phone, pulling out the XPS 13 or my Pixelbook if I really need a keyboard and desktop browser for something.

I'm just a boring middle aged person who works from home. I'm not a creator. Most of my internet time is spent shitposting here or reading about other aspirational devices that I have no clear use case for.

The battery life is nice, sure, but I'm not using devices like this away from a wall outlet very long and everything charges via USB-C now anyways.

Again, the big place where all of this stuff would come together is if I could use something like this for work. But I can't. It would actually be overkill for work too, but at least I would have to listen to fans cycling on and off all day.

Really feeling like the average person is lacking a use case for all the compute power we have at our fingertips now. We need some revolution in software/services that elevate things. It feels like the whole market is driven either to play games or to edit video and there has got to be something else out there that could benefit from this much power that's a more accessible use case.

It's like, Apple could come out with a device tomorrow and says "can do anything you do on a computer instantly!' and I think I would still shrug. Anything I do on a computer is pretty much instant as it is right now. I need a use case that taxes the systems I have for that to be of value for me.

It's obviously value to people who make their living on stuff taking less time, but that's not the whole of the market.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 19, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Egon: “Print is dead.”

But yeah, I think most of the in depth stuff is in video form now because it’s easier to monetize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my entire desk with 3 monitors, my work PC, dock, my gaming desktop along with misc chargers and such aren't drawing anywhere close to what my toaster oven in the kitchen draws by itself.