Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lum posted:

People saying that 775 was an exception and you should expect sockets to be short lived need to remember further into the past.

Slot A was around for ever, then it was replaced with Socket 7 with which it was electrically compatible and adaptors were available. Lots of people kept their old 440BX boards for years, starting with the likes of a 300MHz Celeron and finishing up on a pIII running over 1GHz.

Of course it didn't help that the chipsets designed to replace the 440BX were all terrible.

I then went to AMD as the P4 was terrible. I can't even remember the name of the socket (Socket A?) but that socket lasted a long time as well. I think I started with a 1400+ tbird then a 2000+ Athlon XP and finally a 2600+ Athlon-XPM that I harvested from a dead company laptop.

I was lucky (poor) enough to skip the Socket 939 debacle and went straight onto 775 with a C2D and later a C2Q.

So yeah, to me at least, a socket that lives for only a year is a shameful socket.

As for the new chipset features. USB3 I can add with a card if I ever happen across a USB3 device and find it too slow and I guess the new SATA is good for people using SSDs? It's certainly worthless for people using harddrives.

Uh Socket 7 was for old Pentium/K6-2/3s/Cyrix/etc. Intel went to Slot 1 to prevent AMD CPUs from being pin compatible drop in replacements for their CPUs. Slot 1 and Slot A were mechanically compatible but not pin compatible. Socket 370 was electronically compatible with Slot 1 and Socket 462 was electronically compatible with Slot A, Intel/AMD moved away from the slots because the packaging for the cartridge CPUs was more expensive than for socket based CPUs.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
AMD had better chipsets come out for socket 462 than they did for Slot A so there wasn't much impetus to for enthusiasts to keep their older mobos, and I can't think of any Slot A motherboards with DDR support off the top of my head. The 440BX was probably the best chipset ever made and everything from a Pentium II 233 up to a PIII 1.4 GHz would work with it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Alereon posted:

440BX didn't have that much longevity. It was replaced within a year, and obsolete within 2 years as all of Intel's CPUs after that point required a 133Mhz FSB. The 1100Mhz Coppermine P3 was the last supported CPU, the Coppermine-T and Tualatin CPUs (as well as all previous 133Mhz FSB CPUs) required at least an Intel i810E chipset.

Tualatin wasn't officially supported on 440BX but I had an Abit BH6 that had no problem running up to 150MHz. Basically the only reason I went from 440BX to 815 was my Radeon 8500 couldn't tolerate the overclocked AGP bus like my old GeForce 2 did.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lum posted:

You're right, I got the names mixed up. It was a long time ago after all.

Doesn't invalidate the point I was making though.

Yeah I was just sperging out because I miss the old days of using graphite pencils to unlock extra multipliers or setting jumpers to 2x to get 6x multipliers on my old super socket 7 boards. :)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Celeron A's at a given speed were actually faster than Pentium IIs because they had 128KB of full speed L2 cache instead of 512KB of half speed. 300As were probably my second favorite CPU of all time behind 35W mobile Barton 2500+s. Unlocked from the factory + binned like poo poo to be able to hit 1.67GHz at 35 watts = 100% overclocks if you had some BH-5 and a good mobo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Best HSFU for skt370 was the golden orb. It had a 60mm fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That is a slot 1 cooler sir. :colbert: