Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have kind of a dumb question that I'm having issues framing the right search to troubleshoot. When I was using my 8700k desktop, it would downclock regularly when not under load to varying degrees. Sometimes down to 800hz, etc. This new 11700k computer seems to just want to hang out at 4.3 to 4.9ghz. If I close literally everything except task manager it'll go down to 2-3ghz.

I have it on balanced power settings, and even reverted that to default, any Intel XTU is on stock or uninstalled. This is with some chrome windows open, discord, outlook, etc. Basic stuff and the cpu usage doesn't go about 12-18%.

It's:
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro AX
Gigabyte 3080
32 gb 3600 ram
various storage.

I mean, it's not a problem and the cpu temp stays under 50c it just seems like something is causing it to ramp aggressively and I'm not sure what's driving it.

Maybe it's just the motherboard? I booted into bios and everything looks to be at default/auto, and it sits at 4.6ghz in the bios of all things. Should I just not care? It seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Khorne posted:

Check per-core or package power usage, voltage, and amps in something like hwinfo64.

If it's using crazy watts as well then I'd take a closer look at what bios version you're running & what auto might mean.

I'm only replying because no one else did. I am not familiar enough with modern intel consumer stuff to take any useful guesses. I'm hoping when you check #1 that power usage is low despite clock speeds & when you apply actual load you will see power usage climb up. In that case, everything is fine.

Thanks, that gives a direction. The ups shows about 150w at that point, and I think that includes one of the monitors, so it's probably low power but running at a higher clock speed than I'm used to.

Edit: when I tried gigabyte's easy tune it definitely ran two cores to like 5.2 and the heat output was nuts. Good luck with silicon lottery but that was a bit warm!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey is there a decent guide or site to undervolting or capping the power on the 11700k? Some cursory googling returned a lot of results on how to shove more power through it, not less. I did it to my 3080 to great success, so I'd be interested in trying the cpu as well.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh. That's remarkably easier than I expected. I've used XTU before, I'll have to see if I still have it installed. Thanks!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
When I cobbled together parts for a plex machine some time ago, I got a 9100 cpu really cheaply, and it still has quicksync, so it does great. It's just household use but it doesn't draw much power, isn't overloaded, and is generally quite capable at the price/energy point.