Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wargames posted:

What does everyone think of the 4690, and do I need a z97 board if i am not overclocking or getting a k version of the 4690?

It's a good cpu and no you don't.
PC Building, Upgrading, and Parts Picking: Everything is pretty fast now (except AMD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Knifegrab posted:

I have a carbide air 540 so I believe i have more than enough room to leave the board in unless I am misunderstanding something here. Also as long as that temperature is fine, what is the danger zone? 80C? 90C? Would getting a better cooler at least still lower my max temps to the sub 70C ranges?

The CPU will throttle itself at 99 or 100C down to like 800mhz until you stop trying to kill it. I forget the thermal limit but it might be 105C or something on the core? I wouldn't let it sit over 80C for long periods of time but 75 max is not a huge deal and that 80 is more of a personal preference thing (since the temperature monitoring isn't exactly what's on the core it could be warmer inside and I'd guess I have some bad cooling and it might get dusty and kick things up a few degrees or whatever). It's a little warm, sure, but not terrible.

If you're concerned and want lower temps the Hyper 212 EVO is like 30 bucks and goes on sale down to 25 regularly, it's just bulky and can be annoying to install if the motherboard is in the case and there's no cutout behind the cpu socket. I have an i5-4670K overclocked and the max temps I get are 68C or so with regular loads. Benchmarking and stability tools like Intel Burn Test and Prine95 can get it hotter but they're intended to do that (also don't run them if you're using adaptive voltage).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ernie. posted:

Hello, I'm soon due for building a new heater and I have fallen out of the information loop on what's out there.

I have the 2500k in my old computer. I see that with the myriad of tests done it only performs at like 95% as well as the latest 4970k at the highest requirements of gaming. Should I just be transferring my old processor over? The tests I saw use graphics cards that are a little out of my comfortable spending zone (Titans). Is the performance gap wider with more modest graphics cards? (edit: I see the new Assassin's Creed lists the 2500k as the minimum requirement, is that even realistic considering the benchmarks of whateverisoutthererightnow?)

I'll be building the computer probably somewhere around March or April of next year. Is there anything I should know about the next processor/product cycle that would make me delay my purchasing spree?

And a question with regards to picking a new case: I see Intel has a fancypants new socket LGA 2011v3 or whatever. Did this cause a significant increase in the size of chipsets? Are we expecting a significant increase in the size of chipsets moving into the next 6-7 years?

Your 2500K is almost as fast as haswell and can keep up just fine if you overclock. If you need a bit of oomph you could get a new video card. Check the PC Building & Parts Picking megathread for more info about specifics.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mind posting a link to that in here? I couldn't find it on microcenters website, unless it already ended :(

It's been a multi-month long deal, it doesn't seem like they're going to end it soon:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

While we're tangentially on the subject of Microcenter, I have no idea how they get their bundle prices so low. Are they basically selling at cost or a small loss just to get you in the store?

For example, a couple weeks ago I saw a bundle of a Z97 motherboard plus a G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) for $60, plus you could add on an 840 Evo and/or 8 GB of Cruical memory for about 15% less than newegg. I was so close to buying it just because of how ridiculous that price was (plus a $40 after rebate Antec P70 case) but I just don't need another PC right now.

Yeah, they sell around cost as a loss leader to get you in the store assuming you might buy the rest of your system while you're there. AFAIK they're not super pushy about it but some goon from the parts thread left with an antistatic wrist strap and some thermal paste he probably didn't need.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

slidebite posted:

What's the best program for measuring system temps?

HWinfo seems to be the best because it's got access to most of the sensors and doesn't seem to be wrong much. It's a little bloated but in the sensor section you can right click and add stuff to the system tray if you want to keep an eye on it. I like to watch my cpu cores max temp, cpu voltage, and video card gpu temp so I pin them to the system tray.
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Alpha's also gone on sale for ~$359-399 at times for the i3 version. Check Techbargains periodically, they're usually pretty good with listing when it goes on sale.

It's actually on sale right now for $305 after $45 rebate:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8359803-alienware-alpha-desktop-i3-4170t-geforce-gtx-4gb-ddr3-305-after-45-slickdeals-rebate-free-shipping?v=1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingEup posted:

Someone gave me this motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-itx/ but it doesn't list the CPU I was going to buy for it in the CPU support list. Is that likely because it flat out wouldn't support it or because they just haven't bothered testing it? This is the CPU I want to buy for it: i5-5675C

I think the Broadwell CPUs can only use the Z97 chipset. It's possible some manufacturer has backported support to Z87 but it's a couple of years old so it's not super likely. You should look at an i5-4690K or i7-4790K.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's got a skull on it so it's the only choice for super villains.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Atomizer posted:

If you still use a ball mouse then there are no words to express the pity we have for you. :smith:

On second thought, if you still have a functioning ball mouse that's pretty impressive. :hfive:

Unless you're using it because you're a hipster, in which case :fuckoff:

I've got serial and PS/2 but I don't use them any more.

edit: Oh wait, I mean, they're perfectly fine, I use them constantly. I've used an optical mouse and I can see the benefits but not enough for me to spend $5 on an optical mouse. My grandchildren will use these ball mice. Cleaning the grime off the rollers is a time honored tradition to be passed down. You kids get off my lawn.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SuperDucky posted:

Agreed, the stock sinks are loud as all gently caress. Our new OEM supplier on our fully in-house form factor is dynatron, they have a socket2011 low-profile blower that works really well, I need to see if our rep can ship me some 1366 "samples" mwuhahaha.

edit of the edit: eh, this info is too fresh to be that specific about, Intel prob wouldn't like it

I recently put a couple of Hyper 212 EVO coolers on a dual socket 1366 board. The support on the back of the motherboard was permanently affixed (at least the LGA retention bracket was also secured to it so it'd have been really hard to remove and replace both) so I used some M3 10mm standoffs instead of the hyper 212's stock standoffs to get them mounted. The 212 is big but I moved the motherboard from a 1U rackmount case to an ATX case so it worked for my situation.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not really sure what Intel's thinking here: http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-core-i3-7350k-cpu/

Yay for an overclockable i3, sure...but an unlocked dual core with Hyperthreading...when for $50 more (and perhaps $30 more in a month) you could have a 6600K with four physical cores. ~idgi~

Some :pcgaming: fans can't afford four cores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c

Can you break a $1000?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SlayVus posted:

So Intel has started their holiday 2016 deal. $200 i7-6850k or $134 i7-6700k. I don't really need either of them, but a $600 CPU for $200 is a drat good deal. Too bad though 2011-3 is basically dead now. I already have a 4790k and there isn't anything I do that would actually benefit from having a 6850k or 6700k. Though, eventually at some point, I kind of would like to try my hand at an unRaid server.

Is this the retail edge thing where you have to work somewhere that sells their products?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JnnyThndrs posted:

gently caress, I dunno, I've used Gigabyte midrange boards almost exclusively since the C2Quad 6600 days because I Hackintosh everything(just for the hell if it) and GB boards have always been the gold standard of simplicity for Hackintoshes. Never really had much of an issue with them, either with reliability or overclocking, although I only casually overclock.

For my couple of high-end rigs, it's always ASUS, though. I beat the hell out of them and they just keep hangin' in there.

Gigabyte has done some bait and switch with motherboard revisions:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-pushing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NewFatMike posted:

Oh I see. Yeah, that's incredibly weak. I'll have to make sure I have everything in RAID 0 when I drop another disk in mine.

Please don't RAID 0 your backup disks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

craig588 posted:

You can't adapt a Model M to USB so there'll be demand for PS/2 ports for years. Though having both a keyboard and a mouse one seems like a waste.

You can just use the blue cube style adapters:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J56RVY/

They're not as cheap as the passive ones but they work great, I have a couple of them in use. The only downside is they're big and tend to block the second USB port on a header, but new motherboards have a lot of USB ports.

e:fb

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

craig588 posted:

Intel had a demo where they removed the heatsink and it didn't kill the CPU. Of course overclocking probably disables some amount of that protection.

Overclocking shouldn't disable thermal throttling (at least normal OCing, I don't know about LN2 runs or anything like that). The CPU drops to a low multiplier like 8x (may vary by model) where it can just kind of run without bursting into flames. I diagnosed a goon's AIO cooler with a dead pump over mumble once due to bad game performance. Upon looking at HWInfo he found his CPU that had been OC'd at a local shop hit the max at 99C and then throttled to 800mhz.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Raspberry Pis aren't vulnerable. Checkmate, Intailures.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

canyoneer posted:

OK but what about the regular SNES Classics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTn5bVaOH4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pastry Mistakes posted:

So I'm looking to get a new cpu and would like to not get gouged on it. I like high end gaming and photo editing. I also don't overclock.

My last cpu was a i5 4690.

Anything I should be looking at that's already out/coming out soon? I'd prefer an Intel chip.
My h97plus but it got stuck in this eternal reboot cycle and now can't recognize any of my ssd's so I'm kind of hosed with my current setup.

PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking Megathread Reloaded

OP is a little out of date but get a Z370 board with an i5-8400 or i7-8700K, DDR4 ram, etc. You will be surprised by RAM and GPU prices.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

dang, so jealous of my new 8@4.5 rig and it ain’t even out yet

But the FX-9590 has been out for a long time. :v:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh no, AMD actively encourages it. They've got AMD_Robert, AMD_James, and all kinds of other AMD leads posting there. Notably, AMD_Robert has posted bullshit like "thermal watts are not electrical watts" that just super grinds my gears. No, AMD has not managed to break the laws of thermodynamics, and a CPU is effectively a perfect resistor, so power in = heat out.

r/Intel is primarily modded by one of the r/AMD mods and has very little native traffic on its own, it's just overflow for when AMD does a thing and the r/AMD crowd wants to gloat. It has like 1/5th the subscribers or actives as r/AMD.

Nobody loves Intel as a company, they teabag their customers every chance they get. The line they ride is that their products are usually good enough to make it worth it. Usually.

Same for r/NVIDIA. It's like, mostly tech support and stuff. One guy who does benchmarks every driver revision come hell or high water (god bless his :spergin:). Nobody there is boosting NVIDIA, they are off playing games and poo poo.

r/AMD is the result of a rampant bunker mentality. AMD has been the underdog for 10 years now and people have attached their emotional identities to boosting it. They are doomed to a perpetual cycle of disappointment because they can't not run the hype train every time someone suggests a performance increase - "5-10% clockrate improvements" on Ryzen 2000 becomes "definitely 15-20% improvements across the board, and also 10% IPC improvements", and then people are super disappointed when they get 5-10% clockrate improvement and 2% IPC improvement. We saw the same thing with Crimson drivers, which r/AMD was convinced were going to boost performance by 15-20% across the board. 5-10% in specific games, became 10-15% across the board, and then was exaggerated even further. Actual result: 5-10% in a handful of games, 3% across the board.

Reddit is a game of chinese whispers that becomes totally disconnected from the underlying technical fundamentals. And if I try to point that out, I become the wet blanket who hates AMD.

Have you considered this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm waiting for the 8088K.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BobHoward posted:

Why would you want that, the 8088 was a cost reduced slower version of the 8086
It's just a joke about their weird numbering system and the goofy anniversary processors. What's not a joke is that I'm waiting for the 8087K co-processor. Gotta math fast.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Winks posted:

They're only selling 50k of them, I imagine they're long done skimming.

Collectible processors! I hope they put a hologram of authenticity on it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know anything about using optane but the Intel page on how to use it suggests you can install their optane software in windows to get it working:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024385/memory-and-storage.html
They say to only install one or the other, not both. I'd guess for your use case you'd install the first one, but I'm just assuming it will automagically work. Plug 'n pray.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think parallel threads are more efficient than a high speed single thread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll take the $100 discount to not have the crazy box. AMD Threadripper crew was mad when I said the same thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

an actual dog posted:

I love this post because that's not how pricing works

You got me, slugger. But I'm on to you, actual dogs can't type.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

craig588 posted:

Huh? I've been using offset with a Haswell for like 3 years, at idle I have like 1 volt and loaded it's like 1.3V The old wisdom used to be that fixed voltages were better for stability testing, but unwise for long term use. What changed?

Yeah adaptive voltage is good afaik. Keeping the voltage high all of the time wastes power and makes more heat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They've been around for a while, a friend of mine likes to order from Provantage because newegg has shipped him stuff that was previously opened as new, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hambeet posted:

I scored an old office SFF dell for free that has an i3-3220 in it. I'm currently setting up an openmediavault NAS at home using my old old core 2 duo e8400.

Is there a quick way to compare their performance as well as their likely power consumption? Just under average use.

I'd assume the i3 has the e8400 beat in both cases, but I'd be interested to know by how much.

Edit: uhh I think I just remembered userbenchmark.com exists.

Edit2: doesn't delve into power, but much better into terms of performance. i think the i3 has the speed step thing which would again make it the better choice all round.

One way to compare power is just to look them up on Intel ARK. It lists TDP which isn't exactly how much power they'll use but it's not a bad general figure to go on and it offers a way to compare them, at least:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65693/intel-core-i3-3220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33910/intel-core-2-duo-processor-e8400-6m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

It lists the i3 at 55 Watts TDP and the Core 2 Duo at 65 Watts TDP. It's close, but I'd probably lean towards the i3 if you can fit all the drives you want into the SFF case. You could also put the sff motherboard into a normal case although it might take some modification.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

A decent number of 5775C seem to have hit the surplus market in China and are now on eBay at the $90-120 range. Arguably not a bad deal if you’re looking to upgrade a 4690K system or whatever, if you can catch it bouncing down to $90 again and flip your 4690K for like 50 bucks.

I ordered one when they were first listed and it showed up today, haven’t had a chance to install it but it externally appears to be a normal, non-ES chip just as advertised.

I’m really curious where these would ever have been used such that they’re now finding their way onto the surplus market. Someone speculated to me maybe an Apple product, perhaps the iMac Pro? But even then you would think they would have used the 5775R and not the socketed version. I really didn’t know that anyone ever used socketed 5775Cs in any significant quantity in fact.

That's really cool. I always wanted one of those because they had that extra L4 cache and I was curious if it'd help at all while gaming, but not enough to spend money on it at this point. My 4670K has been a trooper but I upgraded past it a little while ago.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is this genuine advice? Because I want to upgrade my ram but perhaps incorrectly assumed prices would drop once DDR5 was released but yeah if they stop making it entirely then it obviously won't.

E: and would the same apply to pcie 3 nvme drives as pcie4 are on the market now?

Only kind of. Looking at what previous generations of DDR have had happen, it seems like the production dies down as everyone moves to the new stuff, but it doesn't stop completely. There's also a lot getting sold used in the secondary market as people get rid of their old systems over the next few years. For example, for something like DDR3, 1333 and 1600 are everywhere and dirt cheap. It's mostly the faster modules that become expensive because there's less of it and people will have theirs slowly crap out over time and want to replace like for like. Eventually it all becomes super cheap until it's basically an antique like DDR or DDR2 at which point it's kind of a specialized market of stuff that hasn't gotten recycled yet. At that point it'll only be used in retro systems or whatever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I kind of want 12th gen but I'm dreading picking a motherboard. Also there's deciding on RAM like DDR4 4000 or DDR5 (completely sold out)? Probably just get the former since you can actually buy it and it will be cheaper but it feels kind of wrong? I remember getting PC 133 RAM when the first DDR boards were available for the same CPU and sort of regretting it even though on paper the speed increase was small for the price difference. Still, it kind of feels like the same situation.

edit: also the power use seems high and while I don't care too much, I don't ever want to use a liquid cooler. Hopefully a baby head sized air cooler will be fine?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrDork posted:

If you look back through the last page or two of the thread, you'll see that chopping back to 150W or so has minimal impact on performance, so is probably where most people should be targeting. That sort of TDP is well handled by existing (admittedly large) air coolers.

e; and most people won't be buying the 12900k anyhow. The 12700k/12600k should run cooler than that.

I have a phanteks PH-TC14PE on my old i5-4670K but rather than try to get an adapter I might just go for the nh-D15 or similar when there's LGA1700 mounting available. I'm still hemming and hawing about the whole upgrade to begin with. I may just go the cheap but effective route and replace my R7 1700 with an R7 5800X and postpone the whole build upgrade until DDR5 is more mainstream and there's been an AMD response to the efficiency core thing. While I'd like to go AMD I'm pretty brand agnostic since I've owned both and I've rarely had problems that weren't capacitor plague related. My use case is high single core performance since I play poorly optimized FPSes fervently, but I also want lots of cores since I run a bunch of stuff in the background. Seeing reviews talk about how good the single core performance on the 12th gen stuff is over almost everything else plus the efficiency cores being handy to keep background stuff happy makes it seem like it'd be perfect for me. I just hate the new platform pricing but since I've been building my own stuff for 25 years I know that there's no way to pick the best time to upgrade other than when your current system isn't doing what you want it to, which for me is right now.

edit: they have an adapter for LGA 1700 for noctua stuff already, I just hadn't really looked yet. If you check the NH-D15 on amazon there's an addon for $8 to get it.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 10, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I think if I were in your situation and had a motherboard that could accept a 5800X, I'd go that route and give it another year or two for DDR5 platforms to mature and the chip shortage to abate. Zen3's single thread performance is leagues beyond Zen1, and everyone expects AMD to cut their prices now that Intel are back in front.

That's definitely the more sensible option and I'm just kind of waiting to see what AMD does at this point. If I could pick up a 5800X for a discounted price it would be more sensible than splashing out for overpriced new architecture stuff that will be antiquated when there's presumably much faster and cheaper DDR5 in a couple of years. It's nice when the chip makers fight and there's well priced options.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrDork posted:

lol, they bumped the price back up $30 already?

But, yeah, I agree with the above: if you've been ok with a 1700, a 5800X will feel like a very nice uplift for a lot less than going 12th-series. DDR5 just isn't worth the price right now, either, so holding off for another year or two seems like the sane choice if you can manage it.

Maybe video cards will be affordable by then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Too Many Birds posted:

i did install the inner CPU fan wrong initially, fixed that the 2nd day after i built the PC :v:

all the case fans came factory from fractal (two intake, one exhaust) and they all are pointed in the right direction. from the little research i've done into case fan configurations, the general rule is to have more intake then exhaust? 2 to 1, 3 to 2, etc? or is it a bit more complicated than that?

The main reason for this is to create a positive pressure inside the case. This prevents air from entering the case at every tiny gap bringing dust inside the case through unfiltered entry points. Beyond that you just want to establish an air flow direction. For today's cases that's generally in from the front and/or bottom, and out through the back and/or top. There are other setups possible but those are the general ways to go that 90%+ of situations call for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Number_6 posted:

If anyone is an expert at 12th gen Intel CPUs, please weigh in on the following situation--and correct me if I somehow misunderstand how core boost is supposed to work. I have a new prebuilt HP Omen system with the i5-12400F. It performs OK in multicore benchmarks, but is way behind where a 12400F CPU should be in single-core benchmarks. Using utilities like HWMonitor, CPU-Z, CoreTemp etc. none of the cores will boost above 3.99 ghz, even in single-threaded loads and benchmarks, or light to moderate office work or browsing. Benchmark performance (single core) is about 10% below par, which corresponds to all cores being limited to 3.99 ghz instead of the Intel spec of 4.4 ghz.

Does anyone know a way I can get around whatever the gently caress HP did to this thing, to keep it from boosting to the Intel-spec level of 4.4 ghz? There are no BIOS settings for anything like core boost or power limits. Omen Gaming Hub allows you to set XMP for memory, but has no direct control over the CPU. I've also tried tweaks to the windows power plans but that hasn't helped either. I don't want to overclock, but I just want to get the individual core max boost back to the Intel spec. Thermals are absolutely not a problem as temps are surprisingly low for a small air cooler.

Love that HP is selling "gaming" systems that don't even reach the standard, non-overclocked frequencies that the CPU is supposed to support.

Many name brand prebuilts are garbage, including HP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZGmWZyhac