Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popelmon posted:

You can get some insane deals if you are okay with buying used. I snagged a 6 month old 1600x with a B450 Tomahawk for 140 bucks last week.

I'm currently running on a 6C/12T Xeon 2430v2 that I got for ~68 USD off Aliexpress, combined with an OEM (read: knock-off, unbranded) Chinese LGA1356 motherboard for ~58 USD, and two sticks of 8 GB DDR3 ECC RAM for ~31 USD per stick.

The Radeon RX 560 was also just ~51 USD, and the whole build came in at just over 450 USD.

(I'm still slowly accumulating parts for a Ryzen rig anyway because there's no upgrade path for this, as much as I love it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

I assumed you bought those parts some time back? Because paying those prices now is a ripoff.

I'm in the Philippines, so there's a significant mark-up for shipping (and avoiding our regular postal service), but it was still cheaper than buying retail as far as I could tell.

For example, I also bought an Athlon 200GE for 2,510 pesos (about 48 USD) two weeks ago, and it would have cost 3,600 pesos (about 69 USD) in a brick-and-mortar store.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are there are any rumors or even known news about the low-end/budget scale for desktops, or can we expect that something like the Pentium G4560 is still going to be the thing for a while longer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

They probably won't release a new low-end line until they get a new architecture out and work through their manufacturing backlog. Have you taken a look at AMD's offerings in that market segment lately? If you only need a dual core desktop CPU you can grab an Athlon 200GE for $55 and an inexpensive B450 motherboard. Or grab a Ryzen 2200G for $80 if you want to step up to quad core with an iGPU that crushes Intel's offerings. Those will also give you a clean upgrade path to Zen 2 (and maybe even Zen 3) in the future (while there's rumors Intel's planning to change sockets again with their 10 core launch...).

That actually is precisely what I'm doing - I got an Athlon 200GE and a B350 motherboard, with an intention of moving up to a 3400G or whatever AMD has to offer on the AM4 platform by next year. I was just curious if there's been any movement from Intel in this regard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
galaxy brain: not having a warranty is a very convenient excuse to spend more money on parts and upgrades as things break!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D. Ebdrup posted:

Isn't a nichel market like HEDT also more likely to go with a E-ATX motherboard to get four pci-ex for SLI or something equally silly?

is SLI even still a thing nowadays? I keep getting the impression that it's no longer being supported or is at least on the outs with newer hardware

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.techpowerup.com/260130/intel-scraps-10nm-for-desktop-brazen-it-out-with-14nm-skylake-till-2022

quote:

In a shocking piece of news, Intel has reportedly scrapped plans to launch its 10 nm "Ice Lake" microarchitecture on the client desktop platform. The company will confine its 10 nm microarchitectures, "Ice Lake" and "Tiger Lake" to only the mobile platform, while the desktop platform will see derivatives of "Skylake" hold Intel's fort under the year 2022! Intel gambles that with HyperThreading enabled across the board and increased clock-speeds, it can restore competitiveness with AMD's 7 nm "Zen 2" Ryzen processors with its "Comet Lake" silicon that offers core-counts of up to 10.

"Comet Lake" will be succeeded in 2021 by the 14 nm "Rocket Lake" silicon, which somehow combines a Gen12 iGPU with "Skylake" derived CPU cores, and possibly increased core-counts and clock speeds over "Comet Lake." It's only 2022 that Intel will ship out a truly new microarchitecture on the desktop plaform, with "Meteor Lake." This chip will be built on Intel's swanky 7 nm EUV silicon fabrication node, and possibly integrate CPU cores more advanced than even "Willow Cove," possibly "Golden Cove."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so HFT is just but coin mining but real?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
was the "bad" iGPUs on Intel chips a function of technical knowhow, a deliberate design tradeoff, a deliberate cost-driven decision, or some combination, or something else?

I guess I'm just curious why UHD persisted for as long as it did and if they ever said outright why

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: bad post, removed

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 2, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

As we all know WCCFtech never makes poo poo up

sorry, I'm pretty new to the scene so I don't have a good basis for what is or isn't reliable information. I can take it down if it's just misleading or fake.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Their whole M.O is to fabricate "leaks" that appear semi-believable to the unwary for ad traffic.

The less attention that is paid to these fraudsters, the better.

gotcha, thanks. I'll keep that in mind in the future

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is the technology that Intel uses for inter-core communication? I've absorbed a bunch of information about Ryzen's Infinity Fabric, and I'd like to know about how Intel does it, or is the design so different that there's no analogue?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
aren't there utilities that let you disable the security mitigations?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

don't those hyperthreading attacks require a lot of involved effort to exploit? why is it worth destroying performance on cheap laptops to protect against an attack that no one outside of a server farm is going to see

There's probably some CEO out there where the vector would be absolutely worth using on their laptop and Intel would be liable if they didn't apply a blanket policy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There exists (existed?) some very late Bulldozer parts that fit into socket AM4, but they were all Athlon branded, and I don't think we've seen hide nor hair of them since Zen launched proper.

The entire remainder of Bulldozer silicon is in consoles these days.

they were still A6/A8/A10 branded APUs, code name Bristol Ridge, with the top-line chip being a new A12-9800 designation as a four-core part with an R7 iGPU

these were the ones that some boards would end up losing support for if you updated the BIOS to support Zen 2 on account of space

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 8, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Computing Unit of Mobility

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My general impression of Zen2's various boost mechanisms is that they maximize performance enough that there's often very little room for squeezing out more via a manual overclock

Does a similar situation exist with Intel's chips, either on their current generation or what we can expect from Comet Lake?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
while I get that Intel has iGPUs in a lot of their CPUs so that you can run an office machine without needing a dedicated GPU, what is the use-case for putting an iGPU in something like an i5 or an i7, where you wouldn't expect that someone would get a quad-core (or more) just as an office/browsing machine, but at the same time, any gamer/enthusiast/content-producer is going to get a dedicated GPU anyway, especially since the Intel iGPUs are not powerful enough to really be a stand-alone solution the way AMD's APUs are/were intended to be.

I guess it would make sense for laptops, but I checked and even something like an i5-6600k for the desktop has an iGPU. Is it just a production thing where it's not worth "removing" the iGPU?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is going to segue into a more general question about technology and manufacturing:

As I understand it, and I could be dead wrong, the basic idea is that you have a wafer of silicon, and then the pattern/design for a chip gets "etched" onto the silicon by a process that, by now, is EUV, and then the wafers gets cut-up into "dies", and each die represents a chip.

All of these chips are made from the same pattern, but each individual chip is not going to perform the same way, and that's what gets branched off into different SKUs: some chips will have bad cores so you sell them as less-core CPUs, some will clock better than others so you "bin" them into a different SKU with a higher base/default clock, and so on.

Is that about right?

And if what I'm following correctly what y'all are saying, the desktop CPUs and the laptop CPUs are all from the same manufacturing process, and separating them into each of these two categories is just another "binning distinction" (my term), where you pick the chips that consume low amounts of power (is that what "low leakage" is?) and use them for laptops, and then you pick the chips that consume (relatively) lots of power and use them for desktops (since you can always throw more cooling at a desktop CPU).

And then, HEDT CPUs and server CPUs are all from the same manufacturing process themselves, where you take pick the chips that consume low amounts of power and use them for servers (since servers need to be relatively cooler, since they rely on passive cooling on a rack), and then you pick the chips that consume lots of power and use them for HEDT.

Is that about right?

I guess the part that's still blowing my mind is the idea that the laptop CPUs that consume as little as 15W or less is, ultimately, very similar if not the same as the desktop CPU, except maybe with some internally programmed limiters to keep it that way?

EDIT: I guess another question would be if the above paradigm that I'm describing is specific to Intel, at least as far as SwissArmyDruid suggesting that the desktop/HEDT CPUs are all just cast-offs.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 16, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thank you! This has been very educational.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
setting aside having to get a new motherboard, what are the chances that something like an i5-10400 is going to be priced competitively against just getting whatever 6c Ryzen is available?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so if Rocket Lake is expected to have Xe graphics, and that very early leak from Tiger Lake, which does have Xe graphics, suggests performance that's comparable to a Ryzen APU, doesn't that create a situation where any non-F Rocket Lake CPU is going to be able to drive graphics at a level similar to, say, an Athlon 3000G or a Ryzen 2200G?

That seems kind of interesting, I'm kinda thinking from the perspective of even office computers with a Rocket Lake Pentium having a decent iGPU.

Meanwhile Comet Lake on the desktop is still going to be using UHD, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have a perspective on how demanding those kinds of numbers are: if you were going to air-cool something like that, what would you be using?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess if that’s the case there’s no reason to have anything stored or even processed locally.

certainly it'll be interesting to see if the desire to render everything into x-as-a-service can overcome the desire to not invest anything into infrastructure ever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to read up on that Bloomberg piece about ARM Macs - is ARM now at the point where they can offer comparable performance compared to a MacBook that's effectively a really customized Intel laptop?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Been there for at least a year or two, IIRC.

is there such a thing as an ARM desktop CPU that you could buy and build into like a Intel Core CPU?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The low-end pricing seems... not great? 64 USD for a 4.0 Ghz 2c/4t Pentium or 122 USD for a 4c/8t Core i3 is going to be tough to justify against the Athlon 3000G, the 1600 AF, the 3100/3300X, and the 2400G / 3400Gs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the z490 is the high-end board, right? is there gonna be an equivalent to the h310?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the dual-cores were all called Core 2 Duo Exxx
the quad-cores were all called Core 2 Quad Qxxx

there was one SKU that was a dual-core, but was sold under the Core 2 Extreme branding, which was the X6800

all the other Core 2 Extreme chips were designated QXxxx and were quad-cores

(there was also four Core 2 Solo SKUs, the U2100, U2200, SU3300, and SU3500, which were single-core CPUs)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

What comes after Comet Lake for the desktop? Tiger Lake?

Rocket Lake - it's still going to be on 14nm (however many pluses) and is expected to still be compatible with the same LGA1200 socket that Comet Lake will use.

I think the other big thing about it is that Rocket Lake is supposed to be using the new Xe iGPUs (which Tiger Lake will also use, but Tiger Lake is going to be mobile-only)

After Rocket Lake is supposed to be Alder Lake, which is going to be 10nm on desktop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Is Rocket Lake still essentially Sky Lake? If so, drat.

If the rumors are true hopefully Alder Lake comes out later this year and I'll have yet another excuse to build a new pc :dance:

Yeah, Rocket Lake is still 14nm, except they're backporting all the I/O and iGPU stuff from Tiger Lake (which is 10nm-mobile)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

fascinating stuff

is it A Thing for people to underclock (undervolt?) or otherwise restrict their systems from running full clip, for the purposes of keeping temperatures in check, as long as they don't mind the performance hit?

specifically for Intel, is that something that'd require an unlocked CPU, or is that something that you could do from the motherboard?

I guess where I'm coming from is that, having watched that Gamers Nexus video, the thing that stood out to me was this notion that if only the motherboard would run the CPU according to Intel's specs, then the CPU would keep within the advertised TDP, which then means if your cooler is only as good as that advertised TDP (and I'm acknowledging that this is rather fuzzy), then that's how you can keep a CPU happy with a dinky little cooler (again, provided that you don't mind the performance hit).

___

Another question: if the T-version of a CPU can be made to violate its own TDP limits via the motherboard, is that why T-versions are sold to be more expensive, rather than less, because otherwise people would just buy the T-version and then remove the TDP limits and experience a CPU that's as good as a non-T?

Also, doesn't this mean that if you bought a T-version CPU, specifically because you want a CPU that doesn't run so hot/doesn't consume so much energy, and then your motherboard has TDP-busting turned on by default, you're kinda getting screwed if you don't know that this is a thing that you need to check?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

T-versions are more expensive because they can hit higher clocks at a given voltage than others--the entire point is that then you can run them super light on power and still get decent performance. It's effectively a more efficient chip, so you get to pay a premium for that. The leaky "just shove more power into it" silicon is what you get for normal desktop chips.

By this, you mean that, even though T chips are clocked lower than non-T, if you took a non-T chip and set it to the same clock and the same voltage as a T chip, it wouldn't be stable?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In pretty much all overclocking videos I've seen that work with liquid nitrogen, people seem to build like a receptacle on top of the CPU, and then they have a cooler or a tumbler full of nitrogen, and then just pour the stuff straight onto the CPU. Obviously the stuff evaporates, so you have to keep pouring more and more in over time, and it's a temporary thing.

out of curiosity, is there something like a closed-loop cooling system that uses liquid nitrogen? is that even possible?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1279340014938329088?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so you buy a locked CPU, and decide to pair it with an H410, B460, or H470 motherboard, since you don't need the overclocking capabilities of a Z490

except you're leaving performance on the table because your memory speeds are capped/can't be tuned as tightly

so it pushes you towards wanting a Z490 board instead

except pairing a locked CPU with an overclocking board is dumb

but getting both an unlocked CPU and an overclocking board is also that much more expensive

but kneecapping your memory by using a non-Z490 chipset is also dumb

is that about right? seems bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

ECC pisses me off. Why the gently caress is no one making modules with XMP profiles? If not that, JEDEC, get the gently caress cracking on higher frequencies!

it's my understanding, though I could be wrong, that by DDR5 we're just going to have ECC all the time because the tolerances are so tight that you need to have ECC just to make the thing work

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a little funny because Ryzen 3100s and 3300x's are impossible to find here in the PH and even 3600s are hard to get to but Intel 10th gen is available

If I didn't already have a B350 I might have considered it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What would it even look like for the desktop segment to move to ARM from x86. Am I gonna have to move to Linux?

Don't get me wrong, I kinda really like what Lubuntu could do with my old laptop with 4 gigs of RAM (before I upgraded it) but I'm a nerd and a lot of people aren't.