Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Would you rather use an intel nic or a Realtek one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I got an rx580 and I haven’t played a single game on it.

Not even solitaire or minesweeper.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Current Unit of Computing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Cygni posted:

So I've got a great little HTPC/NAS, an Ivy Bridge i7 - 3770S in a tiny ITX Antec case with some external USB drives attached for mass storage, and it is more than powerful enough for whats in there and what i do with it...

...but where is the fun in that!

So I've been thinking of upgrade paths. I don't really like having to rely on USB drives with external power bricks for the mass storage, so I'm considering building a larger ATX system and shucking them. And then evga dropped this discount:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=142-SX-E297-KR

8 SATA, 2 M.2, and 2 U.2 that can easily be converted to M.2 with a little sled... am I insane for considering this? The big problem is every X299 CPU is still WAY overpriced for what you get, in a world where 3900Xs and 3950X's exist. But I guess I could just put a bad Kaby Lake X CPU in there for now and swap for something stronger when prices drop.

What do yall think? Is this dumb enough to mess with, or should I just go AM4 like a sensible human?

if you really want to build something hilarious and amazing, just search on aliexpress for "x79" or "x99". You'll stumble upon an entirely new world of chinese manufacturers stripping old server hardware and building brand new motherboards that support cheap v1/2 or v3/4 xeons on the desktop

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

They’re gonna save it for hedt because its not like theres any reason to buy intel hedt

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Not sure why you would buy an 11900 over an 11700? Ok you lose some boost and a few mhz’s but still 8/16?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don’t forget about the absolute fuckery that is compatible cables.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

how many phases is the vrm that powers the asrock spinny gear

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At least they're not using proprietary ATX connectors on their *motherboards* anymore. They used to change the pin-in config so you couldn't easily replace or upgrade the PSU without seeking one out that had the correct connectors, but they made it possible for you to plug in a regular ATX PSU because *reasons*. PC Power & Cooling sold Dell-wired units, and I nearly killed my P2 450 box trying to plug an Antec unit in and realizing poo poo was awry when I smelled burning plastic before I even hit the power button. Probably saved my PC.

yeah now they just use propriatary connectors too and the power supply only supplies 12v with the motherboard providing the other voltages

granted the power supplies are high quality, but

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Further separating avx 512 for hedt users only

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wasnt that “equivalent to 2500 mhz versus an amd 1000 mhz”

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Even though it was obviously for intel

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

it's not petty it's just dumb

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I’m not worried about it because (and i could be completely wrong about any or every part of this)
- the circuitry and components aren’t expensive or rare
- if dell and hp, companies well known for pinching out cheap pc’s by the million can do it, then theres no reason why companies like asusor msi can’t.
- those micro desktops for offices already do it with a power brick and those bricks are absolute garbage tier quality
- adapters already exist / will exist
- most good psus are already capable of putting out their whole output on the 12v so its not like the old days of cross loads
- seasonic made a psu which only does 12v and has an additional module which does the 5 and 3.3 and the 24 pin comes out of that. With just a new set of cables and not using that module, its basicallt 12vo
- the enthusiast builders and small companies are a tiny part of the market

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There was an intel asus mitx board a few generations ago with a riser board with the vrm components

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Well PC Manufacturers, I made it. Despite your directions

Ah, usb consortium! Welcome! I hope you're prepared for a forgettable standard!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the core naming scheme is a dumb way of naming things in the first place.

pentium 4: okay, it's the 4th pentium
core duo: sure, it's got 2 cores now.
core 2 solo, duo, quad: sure, it's the second version of core
core i7: the 7th generation of processors

oh but then there's core i5 which is the 5th generation?

wait i7 2nd generation? 3rd generation?
core i9?
core i3?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I like how companies still follow moores law like its some kind of gospel that must remain true and not like its an observation and prediction

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

remember that intel dropped celeron and pentium in favor of "intel processor"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Core i was never good naming but at least it was consistent for a long time. Like it was i7 for the 7th generation of something but then they turned it into 3 5 7 and then added another number for generation instead of going up to 8

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Its cheap because its qlc

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i especially like how after you write more than the SLC cache on a qlc nand ssd, performance drops to below hdd levels

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Solidigm is a better name than kioxia

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The wildest intel processor is still the first 10nm chip they made just to comply with a deadline, and they shipped it in a single lenovo laptop in china.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wasnt prescott like 95 or 105w?
But thats 1 core not 20

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I’m trying to figure out why the xeon platinum 8156 exists

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Looking at the various lists, it still doesn’t seem to make sense even for licensing;

platinum 8256: 4c8t, 3.8-3.9ghz, 16.5 mb L3 cache, 8 sockets, 105w tdp, $7007

versus:

gold 5222: 4c8t, 3.8-3.9ghz, 16.5 mb L3 cache, 4 sockets, 105w tdp, $1221

So you lose the ability to do 8 sockets but you save $5786

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i upgraded from a xeon gold 5120 to a 6138 and its really cool just thought i would share

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

They just have to look at amd and nvidias gpu renaming

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

At least its better than the xeon naming

A xeon platinum 8156 is better than the gold 6254r right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

People demand more rgb and metal covers and those costs have to come from somewhere (not by decreasing the mobo price though)