Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Twerk from Home posted:

What uses AVX instructions in real-world workloads?

I think PSCX2 will use AVX if you tell it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm on an i5-3550. I think I'm fine for nowish but I'm probably going to start re-encoding several hour long raw OBS mp4 videos soon so that'll be fun and may merit a new processor.

Don't really want to dig into my lovely case though. Was a pain in the rear end to get that motherboard and io plate in there properly.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Roadmap leaks happened again. Source is dude posting screenshots on anantech forum so :shrug:

Cannon Lake isn't coming til end of 2017. Coffee Lake is a refresh of the skylake architecture for notebooks with hexacore CPUs.

Kaby lake Quad core notebook cpus won't have iris pro. SkyLake will get a refresh with it instead. Coffee Lake may get iris pro too and will replace Kaby Lake > 15 watts.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Which also means I'm holding onto my ivy bridge setup until that happens now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

if you just care about playing DVDs and Blu Rays and don't need anything else, consider getting a cheap playstation 3. Cheapest, and lord knows the simplest, option.

Just remember that the super slim's drive is loud as hell.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jago posted:

I can't ever keep this straight. Is that always true? Assuming a DDR3/4 board with 4 slots.

It depends on the motherboard. Usually that's how it works. Sometimes they color the lock tabs different colors to indicate which set goes with which.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hey now it only effects U series processors...so basically all laptops that aren't quad core gaming/workstation laptops. Great.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

^ Weren't there recently a whole crop of graphics cards that had exploding caps?? heh

A batch of EVGA 1070s (and maybe 1080s? think it was just 1070s) had bad caps and the problem was a little exacerbated since the VRMs weren't cooled as well as they could have been. 'Course everyone blamed the VRMs for awhile even though they stayed within spec in worst case scenarios but putting thermal pads on them dropped their temp by 20ish celsius easily so EVGA still hosed up a bit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm just hoping my friends EVGA 1080 doesn't get hit by a problem, mostly as I recommended it to him.

If he picked it up sometime after July he should be fine. If he picked it up sometime after October/November he will be fine since that was after they put in the new thermal padding, etc.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Otakufag posted:

I have a friend who wants his 2500k to finally die so he can purchase a new Kaby or Ryzen, what can he do?

Wait for the motherboard to die it seems.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Page 1 they state that they're using DDR4 at 3200mhz for all the systems that support it. For ryzen that's 2933mhz when 3200 doesn't work and for ddr3 stuff that's 2400mhz.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean Coffee Lake delayed? Wasn't it always 2018?

There were rumors it was being pushed forwards to 3rd/4th quarter 2017 because "oh poo poo Zen"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

movax posted:

Still on my 2600K with a GTX 1080 -- I guess I'll just keep hanging out under a rock for awhile. I'm occasionally tempted by a motherboard upgrade, but :effort:

My 3550 and Battlefield 1 don't agree with each other so I was considering upgrading but then I stopped playing Battlefield. I'll wait til zen 2/zen+ and whatever intel has before I upgrade. I'm at 2560x1440 on a 1070 and most stuff is fine so whatever.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 20, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

eames posted:

I don't know what it is but I can confirm that BF1 is the only game that runs absolutely terrible on my Haswell 4C/4T e3-1225v3 with a 1060-6GB. So bad that I haven't played it for more than 10 minutes. The resolution didn't matter, I guess it's just very heavily multithreaded.

Yeah BF1's engine has weird problems with 4C/4T processors and will decide to drop down to the 30s in fps for the fun of it. It's a first person shooter so that's not really ideal even with g-sync.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm still using classicshell in 10 even though I probably would like the start menu but don't want to spend the 10 minutes to set it up right.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

fishmech posted:

So when can I get a 6 core / 12 thread i7 laptop?

Intel: "Never but can I interest you in a 6 core ivybridge xeon laptop. Some crazy people made those"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Intel dropped some info on the $2000 i9. It can hit 4.4 ghz on the fastest two cores and again costs $2000 which is twice the 16c/32t threadripper.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11698/intel-finalizes-skylakex-processor-specifications-18cores-44-ghz-165w-on-september-25th

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm glad the only problems my Surface Pro 4 have had are the bluetooth/wifi ribbon cable sticking out a bit from the top of the glass and that one time the touch screen stopped functioning until I rebooted the thing.

So nothing really major just hope I never accidentally cut that cable on something. It actually looked like a sharp needle of glue or some stuff til you look at it closer since it's a weird color.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I dunno, Someone supposedly got one of those 15w quad core laptops and benchmarked it and had it performing around the slower skylake and kabylake 45w quad cores (6300H, 7300H). Could be full of poo poo but we'll know more next week.

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/intel-core-i7-8550u-coffee-lake-specs-performance-and-detailed-benchmarks/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

I was cleaning up my PCPP setups and remembered my old draft for a streaming/recording PC that just encodes video.

What are some of the most viable CPU+mobo picks for something like that - surely there has to be something more sensible than just going with the latest Intel consumer CPUs?

I mean you could get a cheap xeon server like a Dell T20 or Lenovo T140 but those $200-$400 servers are just quad core haswell xeons. Make good 4 bay Plex Servers/NASes though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

I hate how every review and how to guide is a video that I have to continually skip around back and forth in. In 2017 it's easier for the average person to get a 4k video up than it is a page of text and pictures.

Yeah I also hate this. I'd take anything with a text guide. Even a pastebin for gently caress's sake.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

My first computer was some Gateway 486-DX50 that ran Doom, Heretic, Dark Forces, and X-Wing CD Edition (because yeah I guess it had a CD drive).

It was good enough.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GPU thread was talking about it a bit. The general vibe is "what the fuuuuck is happening what a time to be alive"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Doesn't Saints Row 2 run like poo poo, no matter what hardware you have?

e:f,b

It's internal timer was set to like the clockspeed of the xbox 360 or something. Other CPUs don't generally do that so everything gets busted.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

fishmech posted:

At least AMD makes it simple for CPU lines on laptops: if it's AMD it's a bad laptop.

:v:

Someday AMD laptops won't suck....but they still won't stick in dual channel memory by default.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Always the off chance your add-ons are causing problems.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Supposedly the 9600k is also soldered, someone grabbed a screenshot of the amazon page while it was live.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I believe that power supply only supports either a single 4 pin power or a single 8 pin power CPU slot. You'd need a new power supply to support 8 pin + 4 pin CPU power. The PSU only supports one CPU power cable and a cable that has 8 pin power and 4 pin power split up as two connectors on the same cable is out of spec for that PSU.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 21, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EVGA will work that specific Corsair won't. Nevermind I totally missed what was on the back of that one. That corsair works too

I think the only Corsairs that would work are the Axi series or the rm series/other ones with more than 2 cpu/pcie connector slots.

The Corsair PSUs seem to share those slots on a power supply but your current one only has two slots total so you'd be able to either power the CPU or power your GPU, not both. You'd also need the correct second CPU power cord for your old power supply and can't use the PCIe power cord for either CPU power slot on the mobo.

edit: A PSU with 2 EPS connectors in the tech specs means it has 2 4+4 CPU connectors (which means it has enough for an 8 pin cpu and a 4 pin cpu power slot)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 21, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

If you're lucky the HDMI-CEC will work perfectly, too.

This actually has been a biiiiig plus for me since controlling it from my x900f's remote has been really nice and 98% problem free. Having the play, pause, fast forward, etc buttons all work and being able to navigate with the menu navigation buttons has been great. Only issues have been it ignoring the controller and/or lagging behind with commands from the tv remote when the shield tv wakes up from sleep mode. I did have to turn off "control tv power state" stuff and some of the "swap to this hdmi input" stuff though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Update: as a Hail Mary Pass last night, I dug out my dad's old PC with an Asus Z77-M that I'd written off as dead but not gotten around to throwing out yet in it. Well as it turns out,

WE'RE BACK BABY

Sandy Bridge can never die.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

movax posted:

I had no idea they were still in that business, :wtc: Figured cable modem chipsets having mostly become mature were a race to the bottom.

Use the money not being spent on modems to do something with Altera's IP, jesus christ.

They got in on a generation or two of Docsis 3.0 modems from a few people (Arris and Netgear were the two larger companies I think) and those modems had problems. I bought a sb6190 to upgrade from an old old modem and boy was that a mistake that wasn't readily apparent til a year or so later when I started playing multiplayer games a lot more

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I think they've decided where the bottom should be in flash prices...

Sure gonna suck if I wait so long to upgrade from my i5-3550 (end of 2019 is when I'll probably build stuff) that ram and ssd prices start going back up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Otakufag posted:

I unironically want to build a new PC to play old, unoptimized games like Starcraft 2 at better framerate.

Bad news. StarCraft 2's engine is the problem here. It doesn't use multicore at all and even throwing a 9900k or some other Intel chip with a huge single core OC at it won't eliminate fps drops in large battles.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

A microcenter being closer than a 6-7 hour drive for all people would be nice. Oh well, guess most people are stuck with going zen 2 this year unless they wanna pay more for a 9700k or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Quick and concise, thanks a lot! Being more specific, it seems to be an issue on 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs with some Koei-Temco games and others that use the same engine, that seems it keeps switching threads between P and E cores so it stutters constantly despite having no trouble running the game otherwise. Cause no other game has done that for me and I usually play beefier games with 8 browser tabs open lol.

I guess if Process Lasso is safe and the options I want are in the free version that's my solution. I'm not one of those insane schizos who are still running Windows 7 but I'd prefer for more kinks to be ironed out and more compatibility being tested before moving from 10 to 11. also I can use my dad as a canary, if he of all people updates there's no reason for me not to

oh yeah both of the Nioh games, Stranger of Paradise, and Wo Long all love trying to run on the E-cores and will play horribly til you restrict those games away from those cores.