Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

incoherent posted:

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/haswell-compatibility-with-corsair-power-supplies/

Corsair has released an official comparability list. Pretty much everything is comparable, or being tested.
Thinking of waiting on Haswell for my next PC. I read the article so I have a faint idea of why it is a thing to be worried about. Are any other noticeable PSU manufacturers doing any similar testing as well? I'm thinking of repurposing my PSU from my older PC (it has plenty of juice), not a corsair one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Alereon posted:

What's the brand and model of your current power supply? All PSU manufacturers can be expected to test their current and probably recent models. However, if your PSU has more than one +12V rail or doesn't use DC-to-DC conversion for the +5V and +3.3V rails you probably wouldn't want to try using it.
XFX pro750W, I know it definitely has a single +12V rail though the latter I can't seem to find digging through whatever documentation that came with it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm on a Phenom II, so it's probably worth the jump to Haswell still, right? I just assume this means there isn't much point to shell out for it if people are on SB/IB.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The upgrade to intel is going to be big for me but just curious because the reception to Haswell is rather lukewarm, are the temps between it and IB vastly any different at idle/load? I heard Haswell isn't doing so well with OC'ing, hitting really high temps at 4.4GHz+. I'm more looking to do something a bit more modest in the OC department and just using an air cooling solution, so is there any reason to pick up Haswell over IB?

Could someone summarize for me what's new about the features on the LGA1150 mobos as well? Are they worth picking over IB? And is that USB3.0 bug that big a deal? Sounds like you just might need to occasionally disconnect/reconnect any storage devices or something?