Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also Z370 mainboards are generally more expensive than B350 ones so the entire "waah Ryzen is of no value anymore" thing some guys here have going on is really ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im on a 4790k that I bought right before skylake started showing up because RAM and motherboards were expensive and the gains werent looking to be that much. I swear to god if the performance hit because of these fixes are high Ill ill buy a new motherboard cpu and ram :negative:

Haswell should have working PCID (at least for the Linux fix) according to https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10035481/

quote:

PCIDs are generally available on Sandybridge and newer CPUs. However,
the accompanying INVPCID instruction did not become available until
Haswell (the ones with "v4", or called fourth-generation Core). This
instruction allows non-current-PCID TLB entries to be flushed without
switching CR3 and global pages to be flushed without a double
MOV-to-CR4.

Without INVPCID, PCIDs are much harder to use.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did anyone expect "old games with lovely CPU-bound engines" not to run faster than on the 3.5 years older platform?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

There is no physical way to get 8 Lake cores at 5ghz on a 95w budget, so we either lookin at a situation where it will just blow by the TDP, or something like the 8700 non-K where the chip will boost to that number for 30 seconds or so and then cut itself back to stay under the 95w budget, unless you go into the BIOS and let it ignore the TDP.

For comparison, the 8 core 7820X will pull over 180 watts by itself at max load at 4ghz, and something like 300 watts when overclocked to 5ghz. So this might actually be a situation will your VRM may matter on a Z390 board.

Both, really. The TDP is theoretical already (for current Intel CPUs it's "all cores, base clocks, specific complex load") and even with current CPUs, turbo clocks or stuff like AVX pushed CPUs way past the listed TDP. At 3.6 GHz it should be a 95W CPU at least :v:

Also, Asrock had a warning up on their leaked micro site regarding i9 on H310 boards, so I'd expect the lower end chipsets (and probably even weaker Z370 boards) to struggle running turbo clocks for long, let alone constantly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They'd probably prefer if fewer 14nm Z390 chipsets are sold for now, in favour of more Z370 which is still a 22nm thing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want to see a i9 in a Dan A4 to see that 95W TDP in action :getin:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha holy poo poo that i9 9900k power draw and temperature. Even that 5 GHz turbo running on all cores is a challenge that requires massive cooling and/or funny voltages.

Good luck, guys with Z370 mainboards :laugh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Stay on top of recent GPU driver releases and their issues, best gaming mouse/keyboard or headsets, sexy cases, in depth OC/undervolting guides for different mobo vendors.
Not putting a 28 core Xenon under a chilled waterblock and call yourself a gaming channel, the Canadian Clown does that kind of stuff better.

:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

LOL never gonna happen

Cheap usb dogs dogshit vendors aren't going to pay for pcie

This is going to happen if you're strictly limiting yourself to the USB 4.0 label (that's the point after all), but since it's also backwards compatible it won't stop the mess that is USB 3.x and USB-C connectors from existing, so instead, the dogshit vendors are just going to keep selling "USB 3.x" cables that lack power delivery or any of the display modes or whatnot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used to have a P45 mainboard that took forever to boot because Intel's AHCI BIOS spent about a minute looking for devices, that was fixed in some BIOS update though.

In the end I wonder why people care about having to wait 15 seconds longer to boot considering that's a thing I rarely do more often than once a day.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think that's it. The NH-U14S has the same "rating" for your CPU and that's an even bigger heatsink with bigger fans, so I think that's just Noctua playing it safe.

To start: 85°C is still 15 degrees away from throttling so technically you could keep the computer running at that temperature under load for a long time. For a medium air cooler in a big tower case that's not great, though, even though the P400S isn't a particularly cool case (GN got a 3°C drop in CPU temperature and a 9°C drop in GPU temperature by removing the front panel).

What's your ambient room temperature? Low 30s °C in idle is pretty normal for a non-mesh case, unless your room is really cold. What's your intake fan and where did you position it? The front of the case blocks a lot of the intake if the fan is not mounted in a lower/medium position. Unless there's a wall right behind your case, blowing air out the case's top instead of the upper rear isn't going to be a meaningful difference.

But yeah, I would first check whether the fans are actually doing what you want them to do: Check that you're not powering them through a low noise adapter (restricting their RPM and cooling performance), confirm they're blowing air in the right direction, and check their speed in the BIOS or with some monitoring software.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh that bit about the k-CPU makes sense.

And yeah I meant all fans. The P400's air intake is very restricted so if you have a fan actually blowing the wrong way or running in "silent" mode on top of that, it might be bad :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In case one tiny-rear end fan on X570 mainboards didn't do it for you, you can get Z490 mainboards with two:

https://post.smzdm.com/p/apz36g99/
:v:

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 2, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a "regular" mainboard otherwise (with TB3 and other stuff stacked on top):

I just loved that they stuck two tiny fans on there. The MSI and Asus m-ITX boards apparently also use a fan for the VRM stack. Gotta run those clocks somehow, after all.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Doesn't that require the next CPU generation anyway? You'd think they'll want to sell Z590 boards by then :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's too easy to say "hot and power hungry is all on motherboard manufacturers", Intel is setting the limits and could enforce them but for some reason chose not to. Instead, they're pushing even more MCE-style OC they're not calling OC through BFB. In the end, as long as mainboard manufacturers do somewhat reasonable +voltage OC (so, probably not what Gigabyte is doing with that board he tested :v:) they're probably happy to take more "longer bar = more better" wins.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is that even new? I thought Intel has done that for ages (locking RAM speeds to "supported" JEDEC speeds outside of Z-series chipsets)?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I meant the CPU's supported max. RAM speed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Opteron was their first x64 server CPU similar to the Athlon 64, and got a bunch of market share when the Intel options were Xeon furnaces based on Netburst, or Itanium if you wanted 64bit :v:

They started to lose market share again when Xeons went Core-based, the new Opterons couldn't quite compete because Phenom was okay but not as competitive. Bulldozer came after that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah they kept the Opteron name for server CPUs until Zen/Epyc. Previously they were just Athlon too, just with a different suffix I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC they have specific issues with Denuvo but they should run with workarounds (turning off the Atom cores) for now.

Other recent Ubisoft titles like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs Legion show up in some of the reviews so you could try to get approximate results from there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have USB 3.0 flash drives that do their USB 3 speed for about 10 seconds then they overheat and throttle to under USB 2.0 speeds for the rest of the transfer, if they don't just stall out completely after a while. It's amazing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Card readers are one of the obvious points where manufacturers try to save another 50 cents without a lot of people noticing or complaining about it. Some reviewers point them out in notebook or phone reviews and they're often fairly crappy. And a $5 USB card reader (that's actually sold for $50) is not going to be great either.

You can still do it but then you have to actually research a) fast cards and b) fast card readers (vs. just finding a fast USB thumbdrive). USB 3.0 SSDs are one alternative, or you get a decent (again, you have to find one that isn't awful) enclosure with USB 3.0 and UASP and an okay SSD and make your own external USB SSD.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah I got one of those little tiny ones that are about the size of a usb wireless mouse receiver and after a couple of minutes just hang on a transfer. Have to plug it in to a old 2.0 port just to transfer anything bigger than a gig
Haha that's exactly the kind I had in mind. My mom used tiny USB 2.0 ones for music in her car in the past and I wanted to get her a new one from Sandisk. When I tried to move data from my computers the transfer rates cratered almost immediately and sometimes the transfer just froze or aborted at some point. I then tried to use it to backup data on my PS4 and that kept nearly crashing the PS4 when in use. They're not actually usable unless you limit them to USB 2.0 speeds.

E: I actually tried to come up with ways to cool them but 90% of their volume are a plastic heat trap resting inside the USB connector. You'd have to replace the plastic shell with a heat conducting one and then you can just buy a new stick instead :suicide:

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 9, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Speaking of cheap parts.

Some LGA-1700 boards for Alder Lake come with a socket and retention mechanism design that easily bends once the CPU is put in, to the point the base of the CPU cooler can no longer properly transfer the heat because it's not actually connected to the entire heat spreader anymore:
https://www.igorslab.de/en/bad-cooling-at-alder-lake-problems-at-socket-lga-1700-on-the-lane-among-all-remedies/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But airflow is not inefficient, it only takes a tiny bit of it to overcome natural convection :confused:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Hardware TSX also helps PS3 emulation performance a ton, to the point where people have been finding hacks to re-enable it on the generations of CPU that had it, which were at least Haswell and Broadwell, but maybe Skylake: https://rpcs3.net/blog/2020/08/21/hardware-performance-scaling/.

Ok, looking at the article, the God of War and Uncharted games only run well with TSX, which is only available on 4th-9th gen Intel CPUs, and requires disabling some security mitigations.

PS3 emulation is the wild west of performance engineering. I'm really curious if having >8 cotes with full AVX-512 support might finally crack that nut because it'll be more possible to pin threads and directly act like the SPUs.
A-ha! A use for my old i7s (4790k and 7700k) :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the future(TM).

Next they're moving the mail/calendar apps in Windows 11 to a unified Outlook web app. Just wait until Paint goes into the :yayclod:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not just "don't wanna", you trade these hypothetically more efficient PSUs for excessively complex mainboards you're replacing a lot more often. I don't want to know what sort of cooling abomination you'd have on a 12VO version of one of today's extreme OC mainboards for $1000. And good luck with ITX boards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but that's super barebones and only needs to power up to four 5 Gbps USB ports. The more stuff you stick on the board (eg. more, faster USB ports or even Thunderbolt) the more heat you generate on the mainboard which you have to cool away. That cheaper/more efficient PSU gets you more expensive mainboards and more heat in a place where it's harder to get off. Realistically, you'll trade efficiency in your PSU for a loss of efficiency on your mainboard because the latter is inevitably going to be designed to be less durable with cheaper, hotter parts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not exactly new.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're also using it as a consumer brand for SK hynix products I think (eg. the Solidigm P44 Pro is roughly a SK hynix Platinum P41, the latter isn't officially sold in Europe).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Because flagship mainboards shipping with unlimited power defaults, and people running their Intel CPUs unlimited because they have to compensate for other shortcomings never happened, oh no.

I'm also looking forward to the userbenchmark entry for this CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No different than GPUs now and Nvidia/AMD have figured out to lock down their cards pretty well/tell their card manufacturers to stop it.