Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Why the hell are you on r/AMD to begin with. It's basically a weird little cult.

AMD good, r/AMD bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

People who a. want macOS, b. don't want to spend Mac hardware money and c. don't know/care about specs still buy them and will until they're unable to run modern software. Haswell is old but not obsolete and dual cores, while obsolete in the desktop space, are plentiful enough that most things the bargain (relatively speaking) computer user wants to do aren't about to stop working.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's a four year old laptop and it performs like one (yes, it's not great). But dual cores & 4gb ram is still a common laptop configuration, so it's not about to become unfunctional.

The most important things to the people buying them is that it runs macOS (no one who isn't committed to this would ever buy one) and that it's as cheap as they can get a Mac. They've probably never used a computer that was noticably better (at least with regards to their use cases) and they probably don't care that it takes a few seconds to load things (or think they don't). Hell, they're buying a laptop-box to begin with.

If you put them in front of a computer with a better processor & an SSD could you get them to upgrade? Maybe, but an entry level iMac costs twice as much, is still a dual core, and still has a spinning drive. It's not an easy sell to the target user.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's like a handful of software engineers in the 90s got absurdly lucky with regards to borth time and place that they made such an absurd amount of money that they're insolated from any future failures and as such have become convinced they're hyperintelligent Supermen, masters of all, instead of the one thing they know anything about (software engineering), and seeing as it's been 20 years, probably don't know much about at this point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

musk is a moneyman whose lovely payments company merged with paypal and he won the lottery

Even moreso then, though it applies to a lot of people who struck it big in the tech boom, Musk just loves the spotlight.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Up until coffee lake that was pretty much the matra of the parts thread. That said, the problem you're seeing in particular is that Sandy bridge really is showing its age at this point, and while it can OC well enough to overcome this deficit, the locked parts are at a marked disadvantage compared to modern parts.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rexxed posted:

You got me, slugger. But I'm on to you, actual dogs can't type.

Unless you admit it!!!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It wasn't too long ago where 200 for a cpu and 150 for a board was a solid build. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Sure, just get an 8400 or 2600. They're the smart buys anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

3peat posted:

(to get prices in $ just divide by 4; also those prices include 19% VAT)

Ouch.

Looks like a 1600 is comparably priced but other than that, oof.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

I should've specified that I was talking about the test where each CPU was clocked at 5GHz. Is it possible that more cores may lead to more latency and poorer performance? Or that the hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown have a performance cost?

Intel has stated, if not in so many words,
that the fixes do have a performance cost. They went on to say that it would be more than offset by other gains, but I don't remember if it was in reference to 9XXX chips or the next gen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but with the 9900k's thermal issues, you'd better loving believe I want the three year warranty of the boxed version over a tray-sold CPU that only carries, oh, *nothing*: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024255/processors.html

It's kinda moot if you're going to OC though, innit it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Every time you change cards you have to go re-bench all the systems you're comparing it to to get an apples-to-apples comparison, it's not as easy as just putting X card in the test rig.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Quick and dirty - 1. Find a benchmark that's not GPU bound (e.g. 720p). 2. realize that CPU performance is resolution agnostic. 3. Boom, you have the maximum performance of the CPU, adjust expectations to your graphics cards ability to push your chosen resolution.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Guy at work bought a Dell Precision 3000 series with 32GB of RAM and Xeon 2186G. We don't support those and asked why since we support Dell Latitudes. He said the Lat's can't do what this does but from the things I am reading the i7 8700 is just as good.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E_E-2186G.html

Is the $1000+ CAD for the Xeon in this case worth it (that was the quote from Dell)?

It's the same chip, but it supports ECC ram, more or less.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think you get quad channel RAM until you go to LGA2066.

Whoops, you're right.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sounds like he just wants the expensive poo poo. Any way to hook him up with a C2D?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is there an advantage to bga or is it just cheaper/easier to make for a CPU that's never moving?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Otakufag posted:

For the love or Jesus Christ our lord and savior please let this be the console generation where all games will finally run at 60fps.

Rehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed a Switch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

These things are also both running on AMD apus. Console optimizations count for a lot, but AMD isn't really in the 4k race currently, and I got my doubts there about to come out with a chip that'll do 4k60, with a sane amount of power consumption, at console-level pricing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Intel literally can't make enough chips to meet demand. Maybe if Zen2 clowns on them something will have to change, but right now they don't really need to do anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The heart of the issue is that playing a movie or something is all of most people's computing needs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Also my house needs a dining room in case I host Thanksgiving here

This hit home in a way nothing should, and I dont even have a dining room.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Props to Intel for having the wisdom and willingness to do the needful. Those can't have been fun conversations.

E:^^^ yeah, but still half what it was before, which also had said retail markup.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'd hazard it was good enough for any use that wouldn't want a dGPU and they were fine with that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Their 5.2ghz are at 1.325, what are you on about?

If they could hit 5.3 and have it be sufficiently stable they could charge like $600 more per processor than they are for 5.2, I don't think they aren't trying.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

For a top end processor not to be bottlenecked by a top end GPU, ever, either you're turning down settings, which people who buy top end GPUs aren't wont to do, graphics technology has stagnated to the point where they stop making higher resolutions or more processing intensive effects, or you're playing a strategy game.

But y'all are right, people who are buying them are doing it just because it has the biggest numbers. Or are pro-tier e-thletes, I guess.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The 9700k/9900k can do 10-20 more fps than AMDs offerings (or could, as of Zen2's launch), provided you're entirely CPU limited.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There's absolutely no reason to buy a 16 core CPU for gaming anyways, outside of e-peen. It's not an upgrade for anyone, it's just stupid

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

The 3950x is cheaper than a 9900x, has 6 more cores, uses less power, and has a higher boost clock.

There's no reason to buy a 9900X for gaming either :shrug:

The guy I was responding to was comparing it to a 8700K, and the overlap in reasonable use cases between those processors is null. If you've got a use for the cores by all means go for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Steam survey has AMD at 19+%, up 4% over a couple years ago and likely to climb as old i5s get retired.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Different ram chips/architecture. Gen 1 Ryzen had trouble with ram compatibility / overclocking and had the best results with ram sticks made with b-die chips. Turns out b-die and now e-die overclock better than other types.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

No, and I don't think anybody outside of Intel knows, respectively.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you're not having issues than clearly it's not dead. If it dies sooner for it then it does (and I don't know enough to say one way or the other), but may as well ride it out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A 9700k and a 2070 is gross overkill for 1080p60.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Palladium posted:

The only parts in that list standing a chance to draw at/below their rated TDP while sustaining their all-core boost are the 10400 and below. Those "65W" 8C/10C chips would be drawing north of 150W without power limited at the BIOS.

Intel only rates TDP at base clocks anyways. By-and-large these numbers don't say anything at all about power consumption.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They say at the end Intel hasn't shipped any review samples or indicated when or if they intend to do so. I agree it's not up to their usual standards, but they have to put out something on this and they're working with what they've got.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Only if you're got what all the suffixes mean memorized and happen to know what the core count for given model is. Generally, for a given I#, higher numbers (the 4 that come after), higher equals better. But you have to sort out the mobile parts since unless they ended in Q they were dualcores for the longest time, regardless of what I# they were. Also changes in thread count between 8th and 9th gen muddy it a bit, depending on workload. And even then I'm not sure how lower end versions of a new gen compare to higher ones from the previous. Probably poorly.

All this is to say, no, except in the most technical sense.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 1, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

For gen 1-7, non mobile parts i3 was 2C/4T, i5 was 4C/4T, and i7 was 4C/8T. For 8th gen i3 was 4C/4T, I5 6C/6T, I7 6C/12T. For 9th gen its I3 4C/4T, I5 6C/6T, I7 8C/8T, and I9 8C/16T.

Mobile is a whole 'nother fettle of kish. For 7th gen and before I think (but haven't verified) anything without a Q is 2C, and with is 4C, no idea about SMT on the models across the gens. 8th and 9th gens added cores and I don't know what has what anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, Q has always meant quad-core.

"Unless", my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there actually "unless" on that though?

I actually don't remember any non-quad Q chips.

? It says they were dual cores unless it had a Q. It could use some more commas I'll give you.