Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Around 2000-2004 I built a ton of cheap PCs for family members and those things all failed within a year or two. I don't know if I should blame bad capacitors in general or direct my hatred at Biostar in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm not impressed by the integrated graphics in that Anandtech test. Faster than the previous gen, wow. They're also testing the top-end model and the iGPU in the average mid-to-low end will be cut down significantly from that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can't claim to be an early adopter, but I first used a SSD in the computer I built right when Windows 7 came out. It was a X25-M which lives on in someone else's laptop. It's been almost 10 years for that one. On a Samsung EVO now.

I recently set up a new (but built out of old parts) computer to do some video capture and storage and used a hard drive for its OS because that's what I had laying around. I didn't expect the difference would be so great just doing basic Windows stuff, but it's really painful.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This isn't even as bad as P4 vs. Athlon 64.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Saw that thing the other day. Pretty neato.

On a similar point, I do have a new in box ASRock board that is LG775 with DDR/DDR2 AGP/PCI/PCI-E

I was going to use it to tinker with a box of old GPU's I have lying around, as well as maybe benchmark between DDR/DDR2 speeds just for shits n giggles.

Finally, someone can do a definitive review of every Geforce 6200 variant

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

I want it.

Or the GT210?

I dunno if that came in AGP. Probably from some weird brand.

The 6200 had AGP, PCI, PCIe, LE and non-LE, TurboCache and not, and to my great shame I have owned several of them

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Seems to me Intel CPUs now have the same problem as AMD GPUs, they're basically factory overclocked to within an inch of their lives, without saying so. It's not sustainable but they can just hope it keeps them competitive until a future architecture is better.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 23, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

still using a Gulftown

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I actually don't get AVX512. Intel is never, ever going to catch up with GPUs for floating point math, why would you push your cpu to do a thing your GPU can do in half the time for half the power?

it lets Intel put out a benchmark that makes their CPU look better than AMD at something

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's crazy how thing have managed to completely flip, but the time for it to be possible checks out. I can't believe it's been almost ten years since the Bulldozer fiasco. I wonder if Intel is in a worse position now than AMD was in 2011?

I think I'd compare it more to Pentium 4 vs. Athlon 64. Intel is still able to (for now) brute force their way to the top of some benchmarks if you don't care about power and heat, and is still the bigger company sold in more systems. There's no excuse for computer enthusiasts to buy Intel but some will anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm still using a Xeon w3690 (aka Core i7 990X). But I am replacing it soon. I actually don't think I need markedly more CPU power than an old 6c/12t Gulftown. But the rest of the X58 platform is letting me down. DDR3 I can't upgrade further without throwing good money after bad, slow SSD speeds, slow PCIe speeds and needing add-on cards for USB 3 ports. I also feel a burning desire to trace rays, but any better video card will be CPU-bound at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just want to see the (very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

I mean the first (and arguably most important) Xe implementation is launching September 2nd so yeah. The Xe is cancelled!!! rumor is horseshit. Even if you give the rumor mongering dorks the benefit of the doubt and say "they MEANT to say discrete Xe", thats also not gonna happen. Intel has firm orders for Xe HPC and already booked the TSMC capacity for it, so i firmly doubt its anywhere near cancelled.

Xe for gamers? Yeah, I could see that getting axed if Intel doesn't think they have the capacity.

Yeah I am guessing Xe will drop dead as a consumer discrete graphics card. Intel will get its money's worth (probably) in improved integrated graphics and HPC sales. I'll be shocked and amazed if they deliver a competitive high end gaming card.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the Pentium Pro was Intel's first HEDT processor

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

VorpalFish posted:

I've been seeing stuff around suggesting they're looking to push BIG.little / asymmetrical core designs which is certainly unusual in x86 land, but I can't for the life of me see the value proposition for desktop. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out.

I wonder if we're going to see Intel make stuff like 6c/8t processors where you have four little cores and two big ones with HT.

Or they could play other dumb market segmentation tricks with HT like 4c/6t processors.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-11th-gen-core-series-to-feature-rocket-lake-s-and-comet-lake-s-refresh-cpus

Looks like both the i9-11900k and i7-11700k are 8/16 parts, with the differences being clockspeed and the i9 part having TVB. The i5's are all 6/12 with clock differences. But no plans for a 4 core Rocket Lake, as the "11th Gen" i3s/Pentiums/Celeries are all gonna be based on a Comet Lake Refresh.

Looks like both Intel and AMD have decided that sub $200 CPUs are no longer worthy of having current gen IPC performance.

Sucks that the Xe graphics aren't filtering down to the low end chips, since better IGP performance is the most interesting thing to me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I want more cores. But I don't feel I'm going to need more than six cores for another four or five years probably. At least not for games.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shrike82 posted:

lol I didn’t realize Jim Keller rejoined Intel and left again purportedly due to an internal argument about outsourcing.

We don't know why he left or what he was working on. It is a mystery!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

in a rare use of monopoly power for the common good, Microsoft looked at Itanium, said "lol gently caress you" and wrote 64-bit Windows on AMD's x64 design (though some versions of Windows Server did run on IA-64)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Will the non -K processors allow that setting to be changed?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been off-and-on shopping for a specific old 775 motherboard and when those are sold used, they almost always include some random P4 or Celeron because those are worth less and easier to find than the blanks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe they can win me over in the future, but as of now I have zero desire for a computer CPU with some sort of big.little cores.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The i5s in the $150-200 range aren't bad options if that's your budget, cheaper and usually faster (but use more power) than the basic R5 3600. You won't have to worry about being unable to find one in a store. That's it, that's all I've got

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe don't buy Intel.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's more that AMD has abandoned that part of the market while the gettin' is good

Yeah, AMD has processors that fit that part of the market- their 4 and 6 core APUs- they just can't make nearly enough of them to sell at retail since it's all competing for the same 7nm wafers. I think they'd sell boxed 4350/4650/4750s if they could. But the margins are higher on everything else.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

can't wait for that to fail a month after the board's warranty ends

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm just imagining the little stepper motor seizing up and catching on fire someday.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

this cannot be real

it cannot be

e: https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/bleep

Everyone who works for Intel should be fired

From the CEO on down to the receptionist

Start the company over from scratch

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The office computer I use at work now is a little SFF thing with a i5-9600T. It has a whiny laptop fan thanks to HP and is used to run some very poorly designed software, but is respectably quick at everything else.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I don't think that idea washes since the new chip is supposed to have a 228W+ power mode which is what is enabled to get those (quite good BTW) bench numbers at something like 5Ghz+ clocks.

They're quite clearly willing to blow out the power budget to get the performance they need so cutting AVX512 to save on power doesn't make sense.

Can't wait for Dell to sell gaming PCs with a tiny aluminum heatsink on those 228W processors.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had some power supplies from the capacitor plague era that only lasted a few years.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They *did*. Bulldozer.

The track is on the other bogey now.

At least AMD labeled the 220W Blulldozer parts as 220W parts. Even included an AIO with the retail box version.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is there anything concrete on thermals/power consumption with alder lake? I'm not a fan of how much juice the current intels take, and how much heat they put out.

Bad enough that they're rumored to be making the boxed coolers better, finally:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1436372862215106561

I'm the asterisk next to 65W

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So do the efficiency cores actually reduce power consumption at any point?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was running a Z400 with a w3690 and a GTX 1070 on its stock 475W power supply and it was fine. It never had a problem, but when I retired that machine a couple years ago I took a close look in it and there were several leaking capacitors on the motherboard

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think if you look at like the 9W-15W ULV notebook processors and ignore the max turbo speed they can't maintain very long, the clocks are probably a lot more comparable to ARM CPUs in the same power range.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The stock mounting is probably not an issue with non-overclocked i5/i3/Pentiums system builders use by the millions because they have far less power going in and heat coming out than an i9, but for someone looking for peak performance, 6C is a world of difference

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume the e-cores are much more efficient on mobile processors where the voltage will be saner and the clocks lower?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: And those max turbo power figures for the 13700K and 13600K, woof. The 13700K now consumes as much power as the 12900K (250W), while the 13600K will consume as much power as the 12700K (180W). What will 14th gen bring next? 180W 14400?

Going to be a lot of Dells and HPs that will never be able to hit the speeds they advertise

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just make the Celeron and Pentium the Core i1 and i2, still a dumb name but nobody would be confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palladium posted:

the initial ATX spec was made in a time where CPUs drawing >30W is a rarity

my pentium mmx 233 had a smaller heatsink than what they put on X570s now

And a case in 2002 either had no exhaust fan or like a single 60mm one (under the ATX spec, the power supply's fan is the case exhaust)